The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A hook for a comp (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31589)

ihbobry 09-14-2007 01:46 PM

A hook for a comp

I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of including a homebrew (obviously not on site made) as a turn in?

The 2 hobby's have much of the same elements and if I where to guess the same demographics. Make it the 5th catagory for a grill contest? A real just for fun catagory. :rolleyes:

Just an idea/question.

G$ 09-14-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbobry (Post 462080)
I was wondering if anyone had ever thought of including a homebrew (obviously not on site made) as a turn in?

The 2 hobby's have much of the same elements and if I where to guess the same demographics. Make it the 5th catagory for a grill contest? A real just for fun catagory. :rolleyes:

Just an idea/question.

I don't think there is enough cross over or critical mass for a serious competition, but:

The AZBBQA is sponsoring a joint weekend get together with the local home brew association. THAT is a great idea and should be a fun time for all. A match made in heaven.

There are plenty of events that include brew as a major part, but getting it as a category woulf be a big leap IMO.

ihbobry 09-14-2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G$ (Post 462082)
The AZBBQA is sponsoring a joint weekend get together with the local home brew association. THAT is a great idea and should be a fun time for all. A match made in heaven.

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by G$ (Post 462082)
There are plenty of events that include brew as a major part, but getting it as a category woulf be a big leap IMO.

But trust and fun is part of this and yes I know not everyone is Brethren. That said the reason I said 5th catagory of a grilling event was purely because it would carry the least weight.

Adding specific growlers and caps for turnins may take even a little more doubt out of it...the idea is fun. Plus roasting your own malt over a real fire would be cool. ( I know no way to check that but...)

SP 09-14-2007 03:01 PM

Even though I am a home wine maker, I dont think that it would work. Its kind of like say, ex "why not have a photo contest at a BBQ comp."

KC_Bobby 09-14-2007 03:27 PM

Sign me up to judge. I enjoy tasting new beers.

Plus, I graduated Budweiser's Traveling Taste Testing University about 10 years ago or so. You know, one of those nice air conditioned, leather and mahogany trailers they have set up to look like a bar at the local festival where they teach you about basic beer making, the basic ingredients (water, yeast, barley malt, hops and rice if you're Buttwiper), the proper temperature to serve beer and how to best store beer. (Is that a runon?)

Ron_L 09-14-2007 04:05 PM

It's an interesting idea, but I'd be willing to bet that is you polled the cooks at a competition you would find less than 10% who are also home brewers. In most competitions that would only mean two or three entries. That wouldn't be too much fun.

BUT... Teaming up with a local brewers club for a combined event could make for a fun weekend. You could have the standard KCBS meats and whatever standard beer categories and then do something fun like pairing up a home brewer with a BBQ team (maybe at random on site just to make it more interesting) to see what kind of food and beer pairing they can come up with.

Just a few thoughts...

ihbobry 09-14-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 462185)
It's an interesting idea, but I'd be willing to bet that is you polled the cooks at a competition you would find less than 10% who are also home brewers.

...and less than 10% make kabobs for fun, smoked fish to eat, make dessert on the smoker, let the kids cook under pressure, can dance well without the shorts dropping, or have had a fresh lobster in their lifetime...

that said for a fun catagory...with tie in potential, I ask again; why not?

btw I'm not tied to this just an idea based on the common elements

Ron_L 09-14-2007 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihbobry (Post 462208)
...and less than 10% make kabobs for fun, smoked fish to eat, make dessert on the smoker, let the kids cook under pressure, can dance well without the shorts dropping, or have had a fresh lobster in their lifetime...

Don't know about dancing well, but everyone at a BBQ competition has the equipment, if not the skills, to cook kabobs, dessert, etc, but only a handful have the equipment, knowledge and skills to brew their own beer. You're really not comparing apples to apples.

It may fly, but I seriously doubt that you would get more than a small handful on entries.

SP 09-14-2007 05:14 PM

I would do it if there was one but I dont think theres enough intrest. But hey you could always start a BBQ comp with a home brew entry.

JD McGee 09-14-2007 05:32 PM

NOW we're talkin' about my "other" passion! LOL! There are a good number of home brewers up here in my neck of the woods...I'll have to see what the local BBQ association thinks about teaming up with the local Home brewers association...I'd definitely sign up! :biggrin:

JD

MilitantSquatter 09-14-2007 05:52 PM

I just don't see the correlation with the beer... How can anyone prove it was not poured out of a mass produced bottle ?

Chit... I'd rather see teams turn in a cup of coffee that they brewed that morning to wake their arses up after drinking beer and tending the pit all night...

Ron_L 09-14-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 462262)
Chit... I'd rather see teams turn in a cup of coffee that they brewed that morning to wake their arses up after drinking beer and tending the pit all night...

NOW you're talkin! :rolleyes: