• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket help please!!!!

T

Tommieblue

Hi All,
I know brisket is a tough meat to master.
And lately it has gotten better and not. Here is what I do.
and I recently switched to the full Packard Brisket.

Trimmed and leave some fat on the cap
Inject it and place in frig
Pull out of the frig, drain, pat dry, bring to room temp
Mustard and rub.
Place on smoker WSM 22.5 at 250 degrees for 4 to 5 hours
Mop once an hour
internal temp 155 to 165
take off smoker
use magic blue bottle all over liberally
light dusting of rub
wrap in foil
little apple juice
back onto smoker till internal temp is 190ish (3 to 4 hours)
take off smoker, vent for 5 minutes
and rest for one hour wrapped
unwrapped, drain and slice

It came out real tender, almost couldn't pick it up with out
it all falling apart (first time that has happened to me)
how ever the flat when I ate it with out sauce was very tended
but had a dryness to it.
The point was moist and tasted great.

How do I get the flat some more moisture, or am i doing something
that wrong, or what. My next competition is in a month in Grafton, WI
and my goal is not be part of the dead last club again. Thanks

Smoke fat up foil fat down never used apple juice or butter well not on brisket anyway

Personally, I'm a fan of hot and fast briskies: 300*+. The biggest mistake you've made is cooking to temp. I foil mine at about 165, but after that, the temp probe comes out. It's done when it's done. I've read temps up to 210 and that brisket was still not done. It sounds like you may have overcooked yours. USe the "butta" method to check for doneness. I use my Thermopen to check different spots on the flat. When it slided in and out like a knife through butter in the part of the flat that I want to turn in, then it's done. Other than that, I like to keep it simple. And Butchers injections ROCK!

Of course, brisket hasnt been our best category this year, so YMMV. Good luck!

Answer me this... why do you put mustard on?...

I layer all my bbq meat with mustard. It is like a glue to keep my spices from falling off the meat while cooking and also adds to a deeper/darker bark.
No after taste at all.
I learned this by Paul Kirk at his class I attended. :thumb:

I use the mustard for binder for the rub. I use a thin layer, just enough to help keep the rub on

Try this, it's won money but has worn out it's welcome in KCBS;
Whole CAB, Kernal removed, fat off the point. Rub heavily with finely ground Montreal steak seasoning. Let sit on counter for 6 hours. Cook at 225 for 6 hours. Wrap. Remove when "butter" feel in flat. Let stand 30 minutes. Place in warm cooler with bath towel. Let sit 4 hours and eat it.

It took me 21 full packer briskets before I finally arrived at results that I was happy with turning in.

I can tell you that taking a cooking class is VERY helpful . . .

Do not remove the brisket from the foil and retain any juices that attempt to escape. Allow your slices to sit in the juices after you slice them and baste the slices with juice once you've placed them in the turn in box.

And all the other above advice is very good.

Hope this helps.

Mustard is for hot dogs...

Use FAB and you wont have dry briskets. The moisture on brisket after injection, you dont need mustard. Ive never had a problem with rub sticking to my briskllets anyway. Give them a light tap to make sure the rub stays on....

Id also try and take a class that was suggested. I mean, how else you going to win brisket at Taylorville? :becky:

"Let sit on counter for 6 hours."
??????
That's kind of pushing the 4 over 40 isn't it?

"Let sit on counter for 6 hours."
??????
That's kind of pushing the 4 over 40 isn't it?

I thought the same thing...i only sit out 2-2.5 hours before goin on...And I also "Trust my Butcher"!!! :becky: Never had a dry brisket using it... :thumb:

whatever you do don't take any advice from me. I obviously forgot how to cook briskets.

whatever you do don't take any advice from me. I obviously forgot how to cook briskets.

Sounds like you need another class. :becky: I thought you were liking the wagyu's?

Will gladly trade championship brisket for chicken recipe... just aying...

Back