• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Pellet Smoker

D

dwwright

I picked up a Country Smoker CS-450 from Pittsville Supply last weekend. Have used it twice now, first time doing a chicken and a couple of pork tenderloins, yesterday using it as a grill doing some london broils. So far I'm really liking this smoker. The nice thing is that it got up to 600+ degrees in about 20 minutes, after grilling, I kicked it back up for 10 minutes to do a self-cleaning.

Anyone else using these smokers? If so, any advice on using it? As far as smoking, do you crank the heat when the meat is first put on (to sear) then drop down?

I haven't decided that I'll sell the Bandera just yet, but it's not looking good for it.

Where ya been for the past 2 3/4 years?

Nice to hear about the new smoker. It would have been even better to SEE the new smoker in action.

I know I love my 570 man that thing will get hot wright now. Great for chicken!!!

Where ya been for the past 2 3/4 years?

I know, I know...been away too long. Have gotten the BBQ'ing itch again lately. Got tied up in other interests (honey do's) and getting to the point I can "enjoy" doing BBQ again. Might even get out and do a competition or two this year.

I just bought a 570 a couple of months ago and I love it. Cheatin never felt so good.

I own traegers myself and someone posted about using cookin' pellets, I do have to say it is allot better.

What flavor of pellets do you normally use?

I mix Hickory and pecan pellets when doing beef and pork butts. Then apple for chicken and ribs.
I think the pellet smoker gives it a complete different flavor then my charcoal and wood cookers.
Just my opinion

I know I love my 570 man that thing will get hot wright now. Great for chicken!!!

I mix Hickory and pecan pellets when doing beef and pork butts. Then apple for chicken and ribs.
I think the pellet smoker gives it a complete different flavor then my charcoal and wood cookers.
Just my opinion

And only yesterday your Spicewine Envy was showing and you wanted me to trade you my large Spice for your oven errrr I mean 570. lol

Country smoker? What's that???:rolleyes:

You'll love that cooker man. Been cooking on one since they arrived in KS.
Mine looks a little different for this season... Doing a trial cook on it after all the physical mods. I hope to have the controller working full tilt on it if the weather will hold for a few evenings. :twisted:

Doing a trial cook on it after all the physical mods. I hope to have the controller working full tilt on it if the weather will hold for a few evenings. :twisted:

What kind of mods?

Just my opinion

I tried some pecan last night using it as a grill doing steaks. It was good, but pecan seemed to be very sooty, even at 500 degrees.

I tried some pecan last night using it as a grill doing steaks. It was good, but pecan seemed to be very sooty, even at 500 degrees.

Never had a problem with it being sooty I do no that it only gives a lite smoke flavor works well with salmon.

What brand of pellets did you use?

What kind of pellets - the soot level should be directly related to the pellets. i.e. Traeger pellets are very ashy, Branch creek pellets leave very little ash...

Well, sooty was probaby the wrong word, its more of a light smoke covering the inside of the smoker, almost yellowish in color. These were pellets from Fairlane I think. Had good flavor, but first time I've used pecan. I've been using oak, cherry, and apple mostly and those didn't have the same effect on the smoker. I haven't had a lot of ash with any of them so far, which is nice.

Traeger Onion and Hickory mix got me third out of 45 teams(chicken) at my last FBA(3/21-22/08) comp on my little tex. Gotta love a pellet pooper!!

I'm looking at a detailed review of this unit. Google hasn't found me anything. Anyone care to do one?

I'm really looking for a comparison between the CS-570 and the traeger Deluxe, but that's prolly too specific to wish for.

First post, been reading for a week or so. Thanks in advance.
Gary

Back