The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bigmista's Brisket Appearance (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32945)

JamesTX 11-21-2007 05:13 PM

It all looks good to me. What sort of texture wins contests - falling apart, fork tender, something else?

Bigmista 11-21-2007 05:51 PM

In Texas, you would probably be in an IBCA contest. They have to be able to cut off a piece with a plastic knife and fork. More tender is better.

lunchlady 11-21-2007 07:25 PM

8... but that's probably just because its a picture, and not sitting in front of me.
If it was, I'd probably go with a 9.
(although, can I see brush marks?, I personally don't like that but I'd give it to you cuz I know what goes into getting it there)

Makes me wonder... are judges more or less forgiving without the greens around. Haven't dared to try that yet, except BOTB in Douglas, GA - no garnish allowed.

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

Bigmista 11-22-2007 12:10 AM

That second one was IBCA. No garnish allowed either.

beam boys bbq 11-22-2007 09:35 AM

I don't why this came back up but since it did, here is the brisket from the next contest I did. It was an IBCA contest. This one got 3rd place...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j6...aquinta_69.jpg

this is neat - no fat - layed out nice - same size pc - good and brown

i would have to agree with the judges on this whole tread

york

JamesTX 11-22-2007 10:15 AM

Do the knife marks count against the score?

Is there any consistency from contest to contest in the taste that judges look for?

buckinbbq 04-29-2008 10:53 PM

What type of sauce do you use on your Brisket?

hcarter 04-30-2008 11:13 AM

I liked the second box better, it seemed neater and the pieces more uniform. My initial reaction to the first box was "7." But I am not a trained judge, so...you know...grain of salt and all that. I would, however, be very pleased to serve that to my family.

Bigmista 04-30-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckinbbq (Post 625427)
What type of sauce do you use on your Brisket?

Homemade sauce mixed with au jus.

WannaBeBBQueen 05-01-2008 08:06 AM

Yummy Yummy...I gave it an 8, thinking that the pieces would have worked better on an angle and you need to be able to see the bark :biggrin:...other than that send me the next one and I'll tell you exactly how I score it :mrgreen:

Bigdog 05-01-2008 09:40 AM

This is one of the best things about this site. Everyone gave their opinion on it and some were brutally honest. That is a good thing. The same thing will happen at a contest so you need to be prepared for it. Some people just see things differently, and what's good to one person may not be good to others. It's just the way life is.

For those of you who watch American Idol, the judge named Simon is an arrogant arse, but he is brutally honest. I usually agree with him too. :eek:

QDoc 05-01-2008 05:24 PM

test

testing

buckinbbq 05-01-2008 05:30 PM

Would you like to share some of the ingridients with me or leet me buy a bottle from you?

tony76248 05-02-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 487319)
IBCA sure is easier. Seven slices sitting on a piece of foil. Slices parallel to the front of the box. Takes a lot of variables out and it taste and tenderness become more important.

That's what I have been trying to tell these guys. Unfortunately, KCBS cookers want these score sheets that if you think about it, do not mean squat. Each and every score is dependant upon a given day and a given set of judges. BTW, I hope you enjoyed your IBCA cookoff last month.

Sorry Big, but I think these folks were being nice to you as far as appearance goes because you are a brethren. Go back and look at other boxes that folks here on the site ask to be rated. Everybody always gets the same reaction, 7 and 8. The fact is, you brisket did not look good at all in that photo in comparison to some other boxes we have rated.... and they got the same rating.

That said, your brisket might have scored a 10 (the highest) in IBCA if it tasted good.....as long as it wasn't sauced.

Tony

Dale P 05-03-2008 06:21 AM

Tony, taking a dump and not wiping may be easier too, but I go the extra mile.:razz:

Mista, 1st box the meat looks good but 7 is what I saw. The 2nd box I give a 7 because the foil was uneven. :wink: