The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Operation BBQ Relief Central PA (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115901)

jknepper 09-09-2011 12:32 PM

Operation BBQ Relief Central PA

Planning on cooking Free BBQ in the coming weeks in Central PA for those affected by the flooding. This will be an 'Operation BBQ Relief' effort and donations of goods and cash can be deducted. Any cash donations to OBR can be made at www.OperationBBQRelief.org - As far as product, we can use Meats, Gallon Cans of Veggies/Beans, Individual Snack Packs, Rolls, Individually packed desserts, BBQ Sauce, Clamshell containers, Aluminum Foil Full Pans, etc.

Anyone with resources available to help or who knows of a location where we can reach a LOT of people and rescuers affected without being in the way, please contact me; [email protected] and we can do together! Thank you in advance for any assistance, I will keep all posted about locations, dates and times as we see what the need is and what resources we'll have available.

BBQ Bandit 09-09-2011 12:39 PM

Very interested... cooker and gear up for the cause.

WPM 09-09-2011 12:47 PM

I am currently unemployed so not much available in the way of cash or product to donate. However I do have lots of time and although not much of a cooker I would be happy to help as best I can, carrying wood and cleaning pot and pans. However, this weekend and next weekend are booked with contest judging.

White Dog BBQ 09-10-2011 09:07 AM

Please let me know what I can do to help.

Smoker101 09-10-2011 10:57 AM

Yes i live in new bloomfield pa which is near harrisburg and sunbury where some of the big floods were at. Please write info on locations and i will see if i cam help out...we as people need to stick together..we are all brothers and sisters..ill load up what i can to help just let me know when and where

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

jknepper 09-10-2011 12:43 PM

OK, here's the plan so far;

Wal-Mart and Sam's club have stepped up as they did in Joplin. We will be setting up in the parking lot of the Sam's Club in Harrisburg; 6781 Grayson Rd., Harrisburg, PA 17111 on Thursday 9/15 and cooking for as many people as we have supplies for on Friday (Lunch & Dinner), Saturday (Lunch and Dinner) and Sunday (Lunch and then Dinner for First Responders) - If we have resources and staffing, we'll keep on cooking after that!

Our goal will be to get food to as many affected folks as possible, it would be optimal if we were simply 'pushing' pre-made meals to any organizations that are already set up to feed displaced residents and rescuers. If we have enough volunteers and vehicles, we can also head out into whatever affected areas we can get to in order to make meals 'roadside' for people as they are cleaning up their homes and businesses.

In both Alabama and Joplin we had to comply with Health Department criteria; ie: we could use as many 'ServSafe' people as possible, we will have to cook all food at one location, we'll need to keep supply stock up off the ground, we'll need a cleaning station and the ability to heat water for washing cooking utensils and we'll need to be able to hold food at safe temps, so Cambros and Heating Boxes would be VERY helpful!

Operations will be divided into Prep, Cooking, Meal Preparation and Delivery. Again, we want to send food to as many affected areas as possible...including Wilkes Barre, Bloomsburg, Danville, Sunbury, etc. - We've already received requests from Lancaster, Lebanon, Dauphin and Cumberland counties. - If anyone has any contacts or knows of any facilities that are providing shelter and/or food to people, please let me know and I will reach out and see when we can help them!

Operation BBQ Relief is still growing and such has limited funds, but we will be able to purchase enough supplies and food to get started...Sam's and Wal-Mart are willing to contribute to the efforts as well. If you have suppliers that can provide Meats, #10 Cans of Veggies, Individual Snack Packs, Fruit, BBQ Sauce or anything else that we could include with the meals...please reach out and see what you can get...we should have staging areas set up by 8pm Thursday night and could accept deliveries on Thursday.

If you have Smokers and/or people to help prep and cook, let me know what you've got and how long you'll be able to help. If you are able to bring your own fuel to cook, that would be helpful...if there is a need for wood and anyone's got a source...let me know too. I expect that we will be firming up all logistics on Monday and Tuesday of next week and will keep you posted.

You can reach me by e-mail; [email protected] or Cell Phone; 717-682-7703 - If I don't answer, leave a message and I will get back to you ASAP! - Thank you ALL for your willingness to help...in Joplin, we did over 120,000 meals...it was incredible...this will be too!

Jim

BBQ Bandit 09-11-2011 01:36 PM

Bump...

I realize the timetable is just before the BBQ Brethren Battle @ Raystown Lake.

jknepper 09-12-2011 10:52 AM

Just found that out late Friday. I understand if it limits resources, but we have Corporate Commitments from Wal-Mart/Sam's, UTZ Snacks, Hollabaugh Orchards and are awaiting additional details. I am in direct contact with Local Relief Orgs and PA Emergency Management Agency and the need will be significant!

Could use as much cooking capacity as possible and additional food donations as well as volunteers to help prepare and distribute meals! ALL help will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged!

Thanks! - Jim - Operation BBQ Relief

Smoker101 09-12-2011 11:14 AM

when does the cooking start?

Smoker101 09-12-2011 11:14 AM

i want to try and haggle my work schudle around if possible.

Smoker101 09-12-2011 12:03 PM

also what needs to be cooked? meat type i am not sure i can make it because of work but i will see what happens. if all else fails i can send you money to help you get some food.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ 09-12-2011 01:00 PM

how long will the cooking be going on? will anyone be cooking Saturday night?

Sal

BBQ Bandit 09-12-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ (Post 1785661)
how long will the cooking be going on? will anyone be cooking Saturday night?

Sal

Hey Sal!

Will be there from Thursday until I no longer can stand on my own feet. There is a plan to cook Thursday night thru Sunday for the rescue workers as well. Do not know how many people/cookers he has coming.

Wish I could make it to Raystown... but literally this hit closer to home... my back yard faces Yellow Breeches Creek... which was 4 feet above flood stage.

Smoker101 09-12-2011 08:02 PM

good deal that is what i wanted to know when and how long the cooking is going for. let me know if there will be enough cookers as then i will try to make it and help with anything else. again is i cant make it i will donate money to the cause. yes this hit to close to my home as well. as bad as it was i though Sunbury was done for... such a bad time with the flood. i am glad to see that the brothers are coming together for this one.

Hershey BBQ Guy 09-19-2011 09:35 AM

Hey.... Many thanks for Rob Bob and Jim....

These guys busted their butts for 4 days to push out food to those who were displaced by the floods......

Glad I could help out...