The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Small Packer = no flat? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145664)

SmokeFan 10-09-2012 06:31 AM

Small Packer = no flat?

I've done a few larger packers, say about 12-15lbs, but this is my first attempt at a smaller packer.

It's a 8 lb Costco Choice full packer. I set out trimming the thing up this am, and the first I noticed was that there is very little actual meat in the flat section. There's easily as much fat as flat. If I trimmed fat down to 1/4" I doubt the whole flat would be 3/4" thick.

The meat is a beautiful color, and I think the point is gonna be great, but this flat looks more like beef bacon than brisket when viewed from the side. Have I been had?

Either way, it's on at 270, rubbed with nothing but a dalmation mix of sea salt(ground) and tellicherry pepper.

Here's a pic that shows how thin the flat is:

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/...allpacker2.jpg

NickTheGreat 10-09-2012 06:51 AM

I'm no butcher, but I've noticed that some of the packers I get from Sams have a much smaller point than others. The last one I bought was the biggest brisket I've bought (by a little) and had the smallest point.

BBQ PD 10-09-2012 09:50 AM

I've seen those a Costco also, and although I am no butcher, I believe they are not actually full packers. What I have seen is flats and points that seem to have been split, then placed in a cryovac.

deguerre 10-09-2012 09:58 AM

Jeez. I'd be worried about that flat (sort of:roll:) drying out. Are you gonna pan and foil once it gets some smoke?

SmokeFan 10-09-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ PD (Post 2238665)
I've seen those a Costco also, and although I am no butcher, I believe they are not actually full packers. What I have seen is flats and points that seem to have been split, then placed in a cryovac.

You might be on to something! As I was trimming and rubbing it, I noticed that it didn't quite look it had been cut like the other packers I've done, but couldn't put my finger on what exactly was different. From the context of it being split in 1/2, it all kinda makes sense why it looks different. And why it's about 1/2 the size of a normal full packer. :doh:

Oh well, it's 4+30 into the cook now! :shocked:

SmokeFan 10-09-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2238673)
Jeez. I'd be worried about that flat (sort of:roll:) drying out. Are you gonna pan and foil once it gets some smoke?

Yes. My concern exactly, so I left a bunch of fat on that normally I might have removed. I have about 1000' of red butcher paper sitting next to me I plan to wrap it in once it gets where I want it. Will leave it on till it probes good. Then plan on resting it in the 200 degree oven. Kinda doing the centex brisket thing.

I may also drop the paper wrapped briskie in a pan. Kinda worried that would dissolve the paper and make a mess. Live and learn I suppose.

We'll see how it goes...

Bludawg 10-09-2012 10:08 AM

I aint no butcher but I have cut up my share of Cows and I stayed at Holiday Inn last night:wink:. That looks to me like the tail of the Flat with the tail of the point attached. In the photo the point is on the bottom. The reason it reminds you of Beef Bacon is the fat seam between the two muscles. Buy cutting it this way they can market it as a packer.

landarc 10-09-2012 03:11 PM

I would tend to agree with Bludawg, This is what happens when the flat is just hacked off.

SmokeFan 10-09-2012 03:17 PM

Not sure I got ripped or not, but I feel like what I bought was misrepresented. Oh well...

I double wrapped it red butcher paper at about 170. It's in the upper 180's now, and the point is probing like buttah. The flat still has some issues to work out in spots. I may over cook a little intentionally just to see what that's like.

Almost there and then I'll be shutting the BGE down, and letting the briskie just hang around the 200 mark till dinner. I'm surprised how much liquid the paper holds in.

El Ropo 10-09-2012 04:45 PM

They call 'em split brisket down here. Regularly stocked right next to the full packers.

Daggs 10-09-2012 06:21 PM

I buy at sams not Costco but I fully inspect the brisket before buying. I usually have them bring out what they have in back to find the largest flat. Sometimes I need to do some trimming but I get the largest flat for the money.

Out of curiosity what's the going rate on packers down in Texas? I'm paying $2.48 a pound.

SmokeFan 10-10-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggs (Post 2239174)
Out of curiosity what's the going rate on packers down in Texas? I'm paying $2.48 a pound.

I paid $2.49/lb at Costco for that one. My local grocery stores are higher though.