The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A truckload of Natural Lemon Charcoal (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140984)

This is not your pork! 08-08-2012 04:06 AM

A truckload of Natural Lemon Charcoal

As previously mentioned here, I got an unbelievably good offer for Al-Fakher Natural Lemon Charcoal, which usually is quite expensive and mostly known in the world of water-pipes.

Well, I could not resist to give it a go, and bought a truckload of that lump charcoal, because it would have made no sense to order just a small amount to be shipped (with shipping costs way more expensive than the product itself), and gave me a good reason to pick up the delivery myself.

So this is what ~ 440 lbs of Natural Lemon Charcoal look like:

They are packaged in 2.2 lbs bags, which is a bit unusual, since I always bought charcoal in 22 lbs bags till now, but understandable if targeted at water piper smoking customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Fakher
Our Lemon Wood Charcoals is a high quality natural charcoal brand that is manufactured from the wood of the Lemon tree. It is specifically designed for smoking with the Hookah and is known for its quality since it is odorless, as well as tasteless and does not interfere with flavor of the tobacco, at the same time it burns without causing any sparks.

This is how it looks like in the charcoal ring of my WSM:

Each bag contains larger chunks like parts of branches, and smaller pieces, so it fills the charcoal ring nice and tight for using the Minion Method.

It burns very clean with invisible smoke, is very easy to control temperature, suitable for HnF as well, and easily allows longer cooks of > 12 hours without refueling.

I am completely satisfied, and will use Natural Lemon Charcoal exclusively from now on (considering that I paid less than for any no-name charcoal availably locally, with Weber Lump Charcoal in 11 lbs bags at a horrible high price being the only quality brand available at all).

:grin:

M&WIronworx 08-08-2012 06:12 AM

Hey thats pretty cool! Thanks for sharing! :mrgreen:

Matt

markdtn 08-08-2012 06:29 AM

cancel

Grizzly6 08-08-2012 06:33 AM

Hey Mark,
I was wondering what state Linz/Austria/Europe is in...:wink:

markdtn 08-08-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly6 (Post 2168267)
Hey Mark,
I was wondering what state Linz/Austria/Europe is in...:wink:

Read twice, reply once. You got me.....

charrederhead 08-08-2012 07:24 AM

cool.

but, if it's odorless, tasteless...what is it?

willbird 08-08-2012 07:27 AM

Wow $25 us for 2kg(amazon).I see another brand $3 for 500g (Lobster brand). Royal Oak is about $6 for 8kg locally.

NickTheGreat 08-08-2012 08:10 AM

Yeeah I'm curious to see what you think. I would think that you'd get some sort of fruity taste

1FUNVET 08-08-2012 08:45 AM

The things you can learn on here are awesome. Never heard of lemon charcoal, of course i just roll my own in stead of using a water pipe :shocked::shocked:

This is not your pork! 08-08-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charrederhead (Post 2168303)
if it's odorless, tasteless...what is it?

Pure Natural Lemon Tree Charcoal :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbird (Post 2168308)
Wow $25 us for 2kg(amazon).I see another brand $3 for 500g (Lobster brand). Royal Oak is about $6 for 8kg locally.

FINALLY something that's not available or cheaper over there! :biggrin1:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTheGreat (Post 2168354)
Yeeah I'm curious to see what you think. I would think that you'd get some sort of fruity taste

I can not comment on the impact of that charcoal on the product, because it's always the sum of all parts involved (the brisket used for this 1st cook with lemon charcoal was injected with pear juice, spritzed with pear juice, and smoked over apple wood chunks). On the practical side I was very pleased with handling the fire on that charcoal, and I could not see any unpleasant thick white smoke from unclean combustion at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 2168396)
The things you can learn on here are awesome. Never heard of lemon charcoal, of course i just roll my own in stead of using a water pipe :shocked::shocked:

I only smoked that kind of water pipe (Shisha or Hookah) when on vacation in the Middle East. It was a nice experience (being a nonsmoker), and gives a great holiday retrospection.

willbird 08-08-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This is not your pork! (Post 2168530)
Pure Natural Lemon Tree Charcoal :mrgreen:

FINALLY something that's not available or cheaper over there! :biggrin1:

I can not comment on the impact of that charcoal on the product, because it's always the sum of all parts involved (the brisket used for this 1st cook with lemon charcoal was injected with pear juice, spritzed with pear juice, and smoked over apple wood chunks). On the practical side I was very pleased with handling the fire on that charcoal, and I could not see any unpleasant thick white smoke from unclean combustion at all.

I only smoked that kind of water pipe (Shisha or Hookah) when on vacation in the Middle East. It was a nice experience (being a nonsmoker), and gives a great holiday retrospection.

Holy thread drift batman, but does the Hookah burn the tobacco, or pyrolize it with an external source ?

This is not your pork! 08-08-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbird (Post 2168542)
Holy thread drift batman, but does the Hookah burn the tobacco, or pyrolize it with an external source ?

Wikipedia is your friend :smile:

Smoothsmoke 08-08-2012 10:51 AM

Al Fakher :mrgreen:

This is not your pork! 08-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke (Post 2168581)
Al Fakher :mrgreen:

YES, there couldn't be a better name :clap:

willbird 08-08-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This is not your pork! (Post 2168572)
Wikipedia is your friend :smile:

Pretty wild, good to learn new things, I was misinformed to think they worked like the typical "bong" used to smoke other things ;-).

Setting down for a Hookah session is like smoking 100-200 cigs, sorta, kinda, but not exactly.

Bill