The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weber Kettle 26.5? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166513)

landarc 08-07-2013 01:01 PM

I use both, each has it's ideal use. The 26" comes into it's own when I am cooking for a group, much more than 6 people, and the 22" is just a little small.

dobdabomb 08-07-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoking Westy (Post 2580518)
Another vote for the 26.75" - for all the reasons listed above. Nice thing with the 26.75 is when you cook indirect, you've actually got some space to do it in. Cooking indirect on a 22.5" doesn't leave a ton cooking space.

Well there are really two things here, the new Assassin 28 and the large green eggs I have really will do all the smoking. That needs to be said, I really don't know how much "smoking" I will be doing as you can understand clearly why. I know its nice to have the option though and believe me I am there and like that. The second is this is going to be the grill to get my wife to start learning how to get the basics of grilling down. I could and will eventually teach her on the green egg but its good to have a good ole Weber Kettle in everyone's arsenal. I think the biggest thing with this weber purchase whatever it will be is mainly the backyard entertaining grill. As you know there is only so much a large green egg or two can hold, the 22" is obviously bigger and can handle a ton of dogs and burgers so I can see the 26.5 fitting in here. So with all that, that is whats weighing on my head. It comes back to still is it worth double and more the price. An extra $100 is not killing me but always good to save and just use it towards more charcoal :grin:

early mornin' smokin' 08-07-2013 01:06 PM

I love my 26.5's got two because amazon sent me a damaged one, they let me keep it and sent a free replacement. My performer sits covered and neglected for over 2 years since i've had them, they're huge inside, yes the lid is heavier, but everything internal is heavier gauge also, charcoal grate, main grate, etc. get it, you won't be sorry

dobdabomb 08-07-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' (Post 2580532)
I love my 26.5's got two because amazon sent me a damaged one, they let me keep it and sent a free replacement. My performer sits covered and neglected for over 2 years since i've had them, they're huge inside, yes the lid is heavier, but everything internal is heavier gauge also, charcoal grate, main grate, etc. get it, you won't be sorry

I use amazing religiously, how bad was it damaged and did they just not check anything when asking or showing proof? Ive never heard of them letting anyone keep something with that price value, just curious on how that went down. Especially if one happens to be damaged if received by me. wow.

Doug S. 08-07-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobdabomb (Post 2580505)
Anyone have the cheapest place to get one? I have not found one for under the $299 tag on amazon.

I found a site that had the black 22.5 gold for $131 shipped free from a major site but I really wanted the 26.5 but that price is hard to justify the difference for me even though it has the stainless grate/indirect slats and larger size. Is it really worth the double + more price tag. Im starting to lean 22.5 unless I can get the 26.5 for around $250 or less.

What about......Just curious, going from $150 to $300 is no big deal here ????

get the 26" !!

ajstrider 08-07-2013 01:55 PM

The 26" doesn't sound that much larger, but it is. The extra real estate is great and it feels more heavily constructed than my 22". The lid also sits more vertical than on the Performers which is a complaint on the Performers a lot. I would alsways go bigger, if you aren't cooking much just start a small fire on one side and cook direct over it.

early mornin' smokin' 08-07-2013 02:00 PM

ajstrider made a good point. A charcoal direct cooking grill is only as small as the fire you build in it. If i'm only cooking a couple burgers or a small steak, I only start a small one, if i'm doing a brisket, i'll put a large pan underneath it in the middle, and coals down both sides, light one side, let it burn, when that sides almost done, scoop out the good coals and use it to light the other. Having the extra real estate will never be bad, but not having enough always will be.

dobdabomb 08-07-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' (Post 2580574)
ajstrider made a good point. A charcoal direct cooking grill is only as small as the fire you build in it. If i'm only cooking a couple burgers or a small steak, I only start a small one, if i'm doing a brisket, i'll put a large pan underneath it in the middle, and coals down both sides, light one side, let it burn, when that sides almost done, scoop out the good coals and use it to light the other. Having the extra real estate will never be bad, but not having enough always will be.

Early, check the post above...do you mind answer and going over that order and how it went down just in case mine is damaged if I go with the 26.5 from amazon.

early mornin' smokin' 08-07-2013 02:13 PM

long story short, amazon told me to send it back to them, after I had hammered on the nuts for the wheels. I told them I'd gladly send it back, after i disassembled it with a sledgehammer. Some back and forth and they begrudgingly let me keep it. I assembled it in the dark the second UPS pulled up in the driveway, threw some coals in her to burn off the grease, when I woke up the next morning, I noticed the golfball sized dent in the grills lid. It was a clear night, and nothing had done it except being damaged in shipping. Amazon sent me a new grill, and weber sent me a brand new lid.

swamprb 08-07-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2560544)
I love my 26.75. Only bummer is lack of rotisserie capabilities, which is why I keep a 22.5 around. I don't rotis that much anyway - if I had to keep one it would be the 26.75.

Your wait is over! New from Cajun Bandit!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_0258.jpg

And the Rib-O-Lator with expandable trays!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/IMG_0257.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_4623.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_4630.jpg

I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ for being a cheap bastard and passing on a 26.75" OTG for $175! I'm fine with the old Bar-B-Q-Kettle now that I did the raised cook grate mod.

TheRealGrinder 08-07-2013 04:03 PM

I had the same dilemma as you and went with the 26". It gets used as a secondary grill to a Primo XL. It works great for my needs, as we have a lot of summer get togethers with 25 plus people.

The disadvantages to the 26 are that it goes through alot of fuel, the lid could be heavy for some people and the leg joints are pretty weak, be Very gentle when moving it. If you don't do big parties, the 22" will probably be plenty, especially since you have other cookers. No matter which one you choose, I would go with a OTG over the silver.

By the way, why are you getting rid of the Primo?

dobdabomb 08-07-2013 04:08 PM

Liked eggs much better, with getting my new assassin 28 I had the opportunity to sell the primo xl for what I got it at so jumped on it to have cash back in pocket.

NRA4Life 08-07-2013 05:48 PM

I've got the 26.75" and would advise you to get it. I also have several 22.5 and use those too, but I can spatchcock a 20lb turkey and cook it indirect hot and fast on the 26.75 or cook a whole prime rib on there. Something you're not likely to do on a 22.5.

Fishawn 08-07-2013 06:56 PM

Another vote for the 26.75" here. Lots of room, plus a little WOW factor on the patio never hurts.

dobdabomb 09-05-2013 10:33 AM

Well, pulled the trigger. Went on ebay and got a seller in nashville that sold one new for $200 shipped. So I just got my 26.75 in last night, will have to put it together tonight and check it out. Thanks guys, happy with the price since I was looking so hard at that 22.5 as well. Glad I got this one.