Prepping and freezing meats...

chefman316

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What is your opinion on trimming and freezing meats for your competitions? Does it effect your cook? How long can you do it ahead of time? Do you prep and freeze all types of meat (Brisket, Chicken, Ribs, Pork)?

never ever freeze chicken, brisket will keep vacuum packed not frozen for a couple weeks, pork will freeze okay, just as long not frozen before....I like trimming a partial frozen butt or brisket, it is easier for me...

When I purchase frozen meat I try to keep it frozen until I need it, then try not to freeze it again unless something prevents me from cooking.

Unless you can flash freeze it, you are doing damage at the cellular level when freezing in a typical freezer in the home.

I don't have a special freezer or do anything special when I freeze. I am completely opposite of another poster and will freeze anything, except pork. Although I have won 2 first place awards with frozen pork, so maybe I should do it more. I've had a little competition success with frozen meats overy the years. But I understand what George is saying. But we are adding g so much moisture and moisture retention, I dont think it really comes in to play.

I dont want to miss speak or even speak for him, but I have heard on radio interviews that a very successful competitor, who is a Brethren and also a BUTCHER by trade has no problem freezing most if not all his comp meat. I figure if he has no problem then I dont either because he knows a whole lot more about meat than I do.

I freeze ck & ribs. I only did 7 comps last year. I trimmed chicken in march for the first 6 comps. Last of that batch got used the last week of September and tied for 1st at Murphysboro IL. Month before had 1st place in Madison IN. I HATE trimming chicken and it is kind of nice getting it all done at once and out of the way.

I freeze ck & ribs. I only did 7 comps last year. I trimmed chicken in march for the first 6 comps. Last of that batch got used the last week of September and tied for 1st at Murphysboro IL. Month before had 1st place in Madison IN. I HATE trimming chicken and it is kind of nice getting it all done at once and out of the way.

This is a great idea. I may try that this year.

I have frozen it all at some point. But for butts and brisket they are easy for me to knock out right before we go. I do freeze chicken pretty regularly and our scores are the same when we freeze to when we didn't. It's so nice to just grab a pack of chicken that is ready to go.

All of our comp meat is frozen at some point in the process, but I don't ever freeze/thaw/freeze.

I dont want to miss speak or even speak for him, but I have heard on radio interviews that a very successful competitor, who is a Brethren and also a BUTCHER by trade has no problem freezing most if not all his comp meat. I figure if he has no problem then I dont either because he knows a whole lot more about meat than I do.

He has the capability of flash freezing, which makes a difference.

I never liked the color of the area around the bone on chicken when it has been frozen, it turns black. The other thing is I do not soak chicken, there fore possibility of having drier meat. For the way I cook frozen chicken I try to stay away from. Fresh from the farms seems to stay juicier. Just try a practice cook at the same time to see if there is a difference. on my test cook, everyone (3 people) picked the frozen from the fresh, try before you knock it, fresh is better for me,

I like chicken as fresh as I can get it. I've practiced with frozen before but wouldn't dream of turning it in. Just one man's opinion.

I don't really understand the need to freeze chicken. Seems like an easy thing to just buy fresh when needed. I understand frozen brisket, but chicken seems like it would just be more work.

Great post. I had not considered freezing any of the meat especially chicken. I hate trimming/prepping chicken for comps so this year I will do it ahead of time in comfort of my kitchen and then vac and freeze.

Thanks
Brian

I like my briskets to age in the freezer for several months... that's a joke but seriously I regularly keep all my meats (except chicken) frozen for months in the freezer. The reason I don't keep a lot of chicken frozen is that it makes me ill thinking about trimming all of those pieces.

Great post. I had not considered freezing any of the meat especially chicken. I hate trimming/prepping chicken for comps so this year I will do it ahead of time in comfort of my kitchen and then vac and freeze.

Thanks
Brian

I do it ahead of time at home as well. I just don't freeze it. Usually on the Wednesday before a contest because garbage day is Thursday.

Back