First pork shoulder smoke with PRON

NotoriusPIG

Reaction score
I got hooked on brisket and ribs a few years ago and somehow have never smoked a shoulder, so I figured I'd kickoff the warm weather season with something new! Its an 8 pounder, planning on getting it going around midnight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 260
What temp are you planning on running at? Good luck! You will have a great day tomorrow. Guaranteed!!

Good luck! Can't wait to see the results....I never get tired of looking at pulled pork.

Good luck I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results!

pwa

She's on! I rubbed it with yellow mustard and cover it in my favorite rub, a variation of one of the "Best Recipes" rubs. I'm planning on running the WSM at around 250º but the WSM spiked after I put it on, up to about 280. She's settling in now and should be down to 250 in about an hour. I'm thinking the spike will be ok since some folks cook hot and fast, and 280's not too bad. I'm using the minion method with Royal Oak and a couple handfuls of apple chips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 225
Hour 1: 280 - 265
Hour 2: 265 - 260
Now we're in the zone!

No reason for keeping it at 250, seemed like a good round number, not too slow not too fast. Too low?

A shot of my rig here with that sweet smell starting to emanate!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 212
Well it took a while, but here's the rest of the saga...

After 3 hours or so the temp fell into line and once I knew that the PartyQ would do it's job ( this was the maiden voyage) I decided to grab some sleep. Four or 5 hours later, the WSM is hovering around 235. Checked the PartyQ and that's what it was set at. The interal temp at this point is about 170. Bumped her up to 250 and came back a couple more hours later, looks like I might need to add some fuel. Pulled her off at 3:30, after a 14 hour smoke, at 196. Probes were all in like butter. Wrapped and rested for 1.5 hours. The results were awesome! Lots of bark as I'd had planned, meat was moist and some of the best pulled pork I've had, WAY better than our local BBQ joint.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the pron!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 170
I served the pork with a mustard sauce, a pepper vinegar sauce, and a sweeter sauce I usually serve with ribs for the kids, all on the side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 169
It was truly fantastic, some of the best pulled pork I've had. I wish I had enough to share!!

Back