First Q ever with pRon

cody0707

Found some matches.
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I got an idea in my head that wouldn't go away even after sleeping on it. I want to start smoking meat. So, I set out to find a inexpensive small family size smoker. After some dig through the internet I decided I would make a mini wsm.

20130630_211416.jpg

Once I had the smoker built I had to decide what to cook. I decided I would do a boston butt. A trip to the grocery store revealed no butts. Why where there no butts, well because I went to Walmart instead of a store that butchers its own meat.

I settled on a picnic roast. I wasn't sure how to cook it but after reading this forum I quickly found the answer. I brined the shoulder for a few hours then threw a store bought rub on it and let it rest in the fridge for the night.

The next morning I got the mini wsm fired up. Filled it up with charcoal and some pecan wood and set it up to use the minion method to light the coals through the cook. About 45 min later the shoulder went on. I did my best to keep the temps between 200-250. I took a peak at it twice, once at about 3 hours and another at 4 hours.

At about the 6.5 hour mark I took the shoulder off and foiled it. Back on the mini wsm until it hit 195. It took all I had to not unfoil it and take a peak but I didn't. I kept it in the foil, wrapped it in a towel and threw it into a cooler that had just enough room (16qt cooler).

3 hours later it was time to unfoil it and start pulling it apart for dinner. I was worried about it being dry and lacking flavor. I was pleased when it was neiter of the 2. As I was pulling apart the foil there was juice everywhere. Once I got to the meat I was excited.

I finished pulling it and served it to family, 8 of us total. I cooked chicken quarters to go with the pulled pork just in-case I got it wrong. The chicken was never touched. Everyone loved the pork. Only a few felt a need for any bbq sauce.

Thanks for reading. Next Q will be on the 3rd. Going to give ribs a try.

20130630_175332.jpg
20130630_175623.jpg
20130630_175339.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job!!! I did my first butt on a plain ole smokey joe with salt and pepper. I still think it was the best one I ever cooked!

That is very cool! On the first cook. very nice. You will enjoy that mini WSM and happy you are on the brethren!

:clap2: Congratulations! We look forward to seeing the ribs. Next you'll want a larger cooker...mark my words.

Welcome neighbor. Looks pretty darn good for your first shot. Go Gators!

Welcome to your new addiction. I got started the same exact way you did, with not being able to shake the thought that I wanted to smoke meat. Built my Mini and started with a pork butt.

Great looking first cook, the one minor flaw that I see in your cooking process is cooking by internal temperature. Internal Temperature is a guide for doneness but the true test is by feel. A pork butt is done when you wiggle the bone and it starts to release with very little effort. Ribs are done when they past the bend test or you can use the toothpick test. Brisket is done when it probes like butter in the thickest parts of the flat.

Also since you are new to BBQ. Definitely keep your process the same until you know the textures of what the done meat is. After that start playing around with different temperatures ranges to find where you prefer to cook and also if you get time crunch cooks you know how to time your cooks accordingly with the temperature you want to cook at.

P.S. after you take the meat off the smoker, you can still open the foil to look at it. Just after you are done looking at it and testing for doneness wrap it up in the foil again. ;)

Back