What are the MUST HAVE BGE Accessories?

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I started a special BGE savings fund this week so I can realize my dream of having a BGE sometime this year hopefully. I'm going to buy the large BGE when the time comes.

For those of you who have eggs, besides the plate setter, what do you consider to be MUST HAVE accessories? I'm going to build a custom table for it, so I won't be needing a nest or table.

third eyes wiggle rod and third hand. Go to the ceramic grill store and look at the raised grids. If unsure what to get there call and Tom will be glad to talk to you about your needs. He is a great guy. Ypou will not be sorry It is Awesome. If there is an eggfest in your area you may be able to pick up a Demo. This will save you some money. They were only used to cook at the fest usually. Oh you will probably want a table or a nest for the egg. If you are good with wood you can build your own table- check out the Naked Whiz site for plans.

Pizza stone is the first thing that comes to mind. After that something that will allow you to raise the grate up to the opening such as either using stainless bolts, adjustable rig or a woo3.

Thirdeye's wiggle rod and Third Hand, pizza stone, and the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store are great! Also, a half moon pizza stone or half-moon shaped pan is great in conjunction with the adjustable rug and a half-moon grid to do two zone cooking.

skip the platesetter and go straight for the adjustable rig with the oval stone. also remember to get an extra pair (three total) cross arms. the half moon cast iron is also pretty nice, but i don't use it as much as i thought i would. also, get the spider and a 10" cast iron grid to cook down low in the egg for steaks and such.

i'm pretty sure you can by the a/r combo to include the spider.

The rib rack. I will also be getting the spider soon.
If you are doing low and slow then a temp monitor like the Maverick so you can sleep at night with out compulsively running out side to check the temp.

This is why you need the rack.

STLNoRack.JPG

not enough room

STLRacked1.JPG

both racks plus trimmings

STLTooSlow.JPG

I was too slow. By the time I got the camera out, thy were half gone.

-Kenny

here are some other options to cook more ribs....

adjustable rig and rib rack....

61a48b82.jpg

just the adjustable rig...

ce26a87d.jpg

I'd recommend that you first give some thought as to how you will use the Egg and then go looking for the accessories that fit your needs or at least your high priority needs. There are so many accessories or Eggcessories out there that you could probably spend as much on them as you will the Egg itself if you're not careful.

Will you be keeping your existing cookers? If so that might influence the priority of the accessories you're buying if you already have the functionality in your other cooker(s).

I definitely recommend that you check out the write-ups on the Ceramic Grill Store site here. Tom (brethren tjv) has some great descriptions and pictures of the many different options of his accessories and this could help you to decide how you really want to use the Egg.

Some personal preferences of mine (most flexible options in my opinion):
- Adjustable Rig/Spider combo w/stone instead of a plate setter
- Third Hand tool over any other grill gripper / grid lifter

Good luck in your quest!

I picked up my BGE this past weekend and based off of what the store owner and my brother-in-law, who owns a BGE, told me I picked up a cast iron grate for steaks. I also grabbed a grate grabber(?) and ash tool.

As far as a pizza stone the store owner said to look online (i.e. amazon) for a good pizza stone. He said I could find a better deal than what he'd charge me for a BGE pizza stone.

Just to spice things up, you may want to also consider a Primo. The oval gives you some extra space and flexability

I will be keeping my existing cookers with the possible exception of the 18.5" WSM. I have a UDS, Weber OTG, and a Weber Smokey Joe w/Mini WSM Conversion.

Ultimately I'd like to have the BGE take over the work my OTG is doing for the most part, which includes pizzas and steaks. I won't be using it for smoking ribs and packer briskets. I'll leave those to the UDS. I'll use the Egg for butts and other cuts of meat though.

I will be keeping my existing cookers with the possible exception of the 18.5" WSM. I have a UDS, Weber OTG, and a Weber Smokey Joe w/Mini WSM Conversion.

Ultimately I'd like to have the BGE take over the work my OTG is doing for the most part, which includes pizzas and steaks. I won't be using it for smoking ribs and packer briskets. I'll leave those to the UDS. I'll use the Egg for butts and other cuts of meat though.

Out of curiosity, why not use the BGE for ribs and briskets as well?

here is the spider on a 10" cig

edit: and the inside of a well used egg.....

001.jpg

Out of curiosity, why not use the BGE for ribs and briskets as well?

Based on my experience with the 18.5" WSM, they just don't fit nearly as well. I'd rather lay my packers out flat and I don't mind cooking them as well as ribs on the UDS. I'm not going to spend the money to get the XL BGE.

Out of the gate, plate setter and pizza stone.

But as others have said - take a look at what's out there. Having an Egg means many many opportunities for gifts - people love to give you accessories for a hobby you love.
Love the handle I got from Marty -
Use my half moon stone and rack every time I do a really thick steak -
Use the Adjustable Rig often.
Us my Thirdhand every time I cook.
Next on my list is a wiggle rod from thirdeye - Al didn't take the hint on that one too well so I will have to buy it.

I know you don't want to buy the XL but I say wait until you have the money and get the bigger one. You'll never regret it. The first time you lay a full packer on there you'll know what I'm talking about. By the time you get done buying all these accessories you'll have made up the difference between the L and the XL. I have a great time cooking on my XL and I don't have anything except a plate setter. That said I wouldn't mind having the spider for searing but I don't have to have it. This isn't even much meat, I could've probably squeezed a couple more racks on there with just the standard grate and a rib rack. I'm plan on adding a homemade raised grate in the near future.

No worries though, you'll love cooking on it no matter what size you get!

IMAG0200.jpg

Based on my experience with the 18.5" WSM, they just don't fit nearly as well. I'd rather lay my packers out flat and I don't mind cooking them as well as ribs on the UDS. I'm not going to spend the money to get the XL BGE.

Gotcha...

You got a point, no XL BGE.. go for the XL Primo Oval :cool:

What I seem to use the most: Good pair of welding gloves (I consider an accessory), Woo3, pizza stone.

I'm currently struggling with the idea of buying a temperature controller. The more I read on controllers the more undecided I become.

Back