chunk size vs smoke quality

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
has anyone tested this to see if the size of the chunks affects smoke quality on a charcoal cooker?

ie if you use two huge chunks vs say 8 smaller chunks but exact same amount of wood - what difference does it make

I use smaller chunks on a kettle with a Smoke'nSear than I do in my WSM, just find it delivers even light smoke more easily. If the chunks are too large I find I have to ten them to fully burn evenly.

A bit smaller than fist sized chunks works best for me on the bullet. I leave the bark, it helps with the smoke ring and has not given me bitter flavours.

Depends on airflow. I use smaller chunks in my insulated cabinet than my Jimmy or 1/4" vertical. With more air I can use bigger chunks. I don't want anything to smolder too much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

I have a bunch of mesquite on hand but I don't like mesquite-its too strong- so I decided to use just a little to see if I would like it so I cut some small chips on my miter saw, about a quarter inch thick each. I also cut some pecan chips about the same size and threw some cherry chunks in there.

what I found was a thick smoke aroma but very little smoke flavor on the meat.

This is something I think should be talked about more for attaining the best smoke flavor from charcoal burners

I guess now it makes sense why pellet cookers are considered to have very little smoke flavor.

Back