What is Sirloin End Pork Roast and how to best cook it?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Got the new Piggly Wiggly ad emailed to me for this week and they have on sale for only $1.18/lb "Sirloin End Pork Roast". I am not sure what this cut is and if there are any bones in it.

Would it be considered Loin and suitable for say Canadian Bacon? How well does it BBQ? Any other good uses? Ham?

This is less than what I can get pork butt for ($1.39/lb by the case at Sam's)--just wondering if it would be worthwhile to stock up on say 20 or 30 pounds of it at this price. At $1.18/lb it's so tempting!

2nk2ag8.png

Last edited:
Pork loin sirloin roast contains hip bone and backbone. The largest muscle is the eye of loin, separated from the smaller tenderloin muscles by finger bones.

It is best cooked at a higher temperature due to the lack of fat. It is part of the loin, so cook like you would cook a loin (148° internal temperature). Overcooking will cause it to be dry and tough.

If the bones were removed you could make "Buckboard Bacon" which would be similar to Canadian Bacon.

The new safe temp for pork is 145. I wouldn't cook it past 140, then rest for half hour. During the rest, internal temp will continue to rise and end up being a perfect mid 140s, possibly close to 150. If you wait to pull it off at 148-150, it may end up being 160, which is overcooked for lean pork IMO.

I've cooked a lot of these, but around here they are just called pork sirloin roasts. They will cook up just like a loin, except they tend to have slightly better marbling, which translates to better tenderness and flavor than a loin. I love them.

The new safe temp for pork is 145. I wouldn't cook it past 140, then rest for half hour. During the rest, internal temp will continue to rise and end up being a perfect mid 140s, possibly close to 150. If you wait to pull it off at 148-150, it may end up being 160, which is overcooked for lean pork IMO.

I've cooked a lot of these, but around here they are just called pork sirloin roasts. They will cook up just like a loin, except they tend to have slightly better marbling, which translates to better tenderness and flavor than a loin. I love them.

Sounds like it'd make good bacon, so long as it doesn't have too many bones. Maybe it isn't worth it to get this at $1.18/lb when I can get pork butt at $1.38/lb (since pork butt probably has much less bones?--the bone in a pork butt isn't very big at all.)

Back