The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Turning Japanese (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120205)

buccaneer 11-12-2011 11:57 PM

Turning Japanese

Grilled salmon and Miso soup with tofu and inoki mushrooms, egg rolls and pickles.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...nesedinner.jpg

mbshop 11-13-2011 12:45 AM

outstanding !

Carbon 11-13-2011 12:51 AM

Sugoi!

RevZiLLa 11-13-2011 12:52 AM

Very nice!

buccaneer 11-13-2011 07:30 AM

Thanks everyone!
Honorable mention to Carbon for matching Nihongo to Pron~show.:wink:

Phubar 11-13-2011 10:00 AM

Itadakimasu!

Ron_L 11-13-2011 10:04 AM

How about some details one the cook? Pictures are great, but we're all here to learn more about cooking, too.

lazy butt 11-13-2011 10:08 AM

nice spread

landarc 11-13-2011 10:14 AM

Oh, and you used the correct hashi as well, nicely done. Yes, details so I can determine if you have actually turned Japanese or are just wearing mascara :-P

buccaneer 11-13-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1849090)
Oh, and you used the correct hashi as well, nicely done. Yes, details so I can determine if you have actually turned Japanese or are just wearing mascara :-P

PMSL (Ozzie for Piss Myself Laughing)
<wipes away running mascara>
Okay, glad you didn't mention that the O-hashi were not matched but I was busy with my make up and all.:becky:

speedrcer1 11-13-2011 03:16 PM

Great looking grub there!

SmokinAussie 11-13-2011 03:25 PM

I'm coming for Dinner!

buccaneer 11-13-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinAussie (Post 1849290)
I'm coming for Dinner!

That was breakfast!:laugh:
You are welcome anytime bro!

Capozzoli 11-13-2011 03:45 PM

Awesome. love the attention to authenticity!

buccaneer 11-13-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1849076)
How about some details one the cook? Pictures are great, but we're all here to learn more about cooking, too.

Okay. To be honest, I thought this post would sink like a stone without a response but the cooking and BBQ crowd are edumacated gourmets around here!

Let's get some info you can use.
The base stock you need is called dashi and it is a complex recipe involving seaweed called kombu.
However, like all cultures in the modern world the shop is your friend so ask at a Japanese super for instant dashi powder.
Mix a teaspoon or so in a bowl of water and you have it.(I do it to taste)
You will also need Katsuobushi, or dried shaved bonito flakes, also bought in little packets. Intense earthy fish flavour with smoky goodness, you'll like it.
Eggrolls:
Lightly beat 4 eggs with a tablespoon of dashi(if you can't be farked then tsp of soy sauce+ teaspoon of water) plus 1/2 tablespoon of castor sugar (powder form)and pour a little into a skillet that you have wiped with a paper towel doused in cooking oil.
Thin layer, and as it sets fold the egg in steps till it is a log.
Leaving it there, pour another layer of egg into the pan and let it oin the log, repeat by rolling the log back over the new egg as it set.
Repeat until all the egg is used up and you will have a nice egg roll.
Slice, and mayo and soy goes great on this.
Miso.
Buy a paste from the super, choose whiter for a milder flavour and darker red brown for stronger.
I recommend cutting your teeth on the lighter ones.
I was taught by an old Japanese master who said that Miso is alive, it contains living enzymes so to kill the soup add it to boiling water.
What that means is the soup must be made with water below boiling, if it boils it is ruined.
I have only met a few Japanese cooks who know that.
I boil the dashi and add some cold to drop the temp, then take a tablespoon of miso paste and using the back of the spoon squeeze it through a seive into the water.You will see the miso move like clouds in the liquid, all of it's own accord. Amazing.
repeat, tasting, until you get that savory salty taste.
You can add cubes of soft tofu, scallion, katsuobushi, pork shredded leftovers, bacon,crab,potato, daikon, and especially good is wakame(Japanese super again)
I steamed broccolini and dressed with black sesame seeds.
The salmon you guys all know how to grill or fry, crispy skin please!
Salt it, lay it, wipe it dry and skin side down first.
The white pile are tiny fish bought at the super, crunchy!
Is this okay?