Carnita Butt...

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Decided to try making a pull pork "Carnitas Style".

Image 1 shows the 5.88# Boston Butt and the ingredients.
Image 2 is the label showing the weight. Not sure why I added it.
Image 3 is the meat soaking in the marinade.

Planning on cooking this on the WSM and going to shoot for 250*ish. We normally eat Sunday dinner around 4 pm. I was thinking I could get my fire going around 5 am, throw it on before 6 am, and I am guessing it would be done and ready to wrap and put in the cooler between 1 and 2 pm? Does the time sound about right?

Attachments

• Carnita Butt1.jpg
    Carnita Butt1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 316
  • Carnita Butt2.jpg
    Carnita Butt2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Carnita Butt3.jpg
    Carnita Butt3.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 313
At 250F you're probably looking at about 1-1.25 hours/pound. Without trimming and that butt just under 6#, you should have plenty of wiggle room for a 4pm dinner before it probes tender if you start at 6am.

Have you tried this recipe before? It looks great! I'm interested in how it turns out...keep us posted!

Looks like a good start, if I had to guess at 250°F, your timing is a little short. I would say more like 8 hours at around 250.

CastlePines: No, I have never tried this before. I have made Carnitas with this marinade, but after soaking over night it would go in a pot with broth and water, simmer covered for two hours, and high boil uncovered until the liquid cooks away. I decided to go out on limb and try it as a pulled pork. We'll see how it turns out. :crazy:

Landarc: If it took 8 hours and started at 6, I would be taking it off around 2 pm and letting it rest for 90 mins or so. So, serving at 4 pm should be ok, don't ya think? I can get up earlier if needed. It's only sleep. :mrgreen:

I know you can never predict exactly how long it will take and it is done when it is done. I am just looking for a good start time to give myself plenty of time.

My plan would be about what you are planning. Except around noon, I would feel up the pork and see, if it was still really tight, I would put the spurs to it, take it to 300°, or wrap to speed things up.

Thanks Landarc. That's what I will plan. Another question. That marinade is pretty thick. Should I kinda wipe the excess off before throwing it in the grill? I don't plan on putting a rub on it. Don't know if the marinade will turn funky or not.

In bed by 2 am, up at 5. Pulled the butt from the fridge and started the fire. Grill temp was at 259* and still climbing slowly, made a minor adjustment, added a chunk of apple, and put the butt on. Temp reset to 229* and was slowly dropping. Adjusted the vent again, going to let it settle hopefully around 250* and then get a couple more hours sleep while Maverick babysits...

Hovering around 260* for the last 40 mins or so. Time for sleep. More pics to come...

I agree with landarc....you are cutting it kind of close....crank the temp to 300....if it's done early..so what...if it's not quite done....well still edible and tasty...just not that melt in your mouth goodness from a butt like we like.

My last one... I was on a schedule for a family deal...had to pull early...everyone liked it...but I knew it wasn't quite there. Lesson learned.

She is still humming along. Temp was stable at 240*. Gently stirred the coals a bit, added a couple scoops of fresh coals to the top and I am starting to open the vents to bring the temp up. Have IT at 263* and pit temp at 277*. Color is good, but letting her ride without wrapping.

Attachments

• Carnita Butt4.jpg
    Carnita Butt4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 199
Thanks...

Almost 2 pm and IT is 178*, grill running right around 300*. Yanked her, foiled her, and back on the pit. I am hoping she finishes within the next 30 - 60 mins so it can rest for about an hour before I pull her apart.

Bail out option:
Get a Dutch oven ready, slice up some onions and oranges. When you are an hour out from dinner and the butt is stuck at 185°F, pull it from the smoker. Coarsely chop into 12 chunks, pour 1/4 cup olive oil into DO, fire it up, when the onions color, drop the pork in, add 1/2 cup beer and braise at 325°F. Will soften up in 45 minutes and no rest needed.

It was ready to pull off the grill at 2:35. 195* and probe tender. Giving it an hour to rest and then I'll pull it apart.

Ok, so everything turned out good, but I don't think I'll try this flavor combo smoked again. Either the Cumin or the Mexican Oregano was really amplified. There was also no heat at all from the other spices. Think this mix works much better on the stove.

This was also the first time I wasn't going to wrap. I ended up doing it any ways to hurry it up, but later than I would have liked and the outside was a little more done than I prefer.

So, next time, back to a more basic rub, and wrap when it gets the color I like.

Served it taco style with Habanero Lima Crema sauce and some shredded lettuce for a little crunch. Good tacos with lots of tender pork. Eat another meal or two and then freeze the rest for a later day.

Attachments

• Carnita Butt5.jpg
    Carnita Butt5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Carnita Butt6.jpg
    Carnita Butt6.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Carnita Butt7.jpg
    Carnita Butt7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Carnita Butt8.jpg
    Carnita Butt8.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Carnita Butt9.jpg
    Carnita Butt9.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 86
When you mentioned the strong cumin flavor I was thinking some pita and Greek flavor profile might balance it out some. And there's some pita in the last pic!

I'd like to find a good carnitas flavor so was hoping this was a home run. But nothing wrong with a solid double! Thanks for posting!

Actually, those were flour tortillas. What really amazed me was the lack of spice (heat). There was a bunch, but it cooked away.

It looks good. Have you tried any of the Simply Marvelous rubs? There are a few that rock pulled pork. There are S.M. Rubs that rock whatever you're smoking!

Back