My pit is ready!

shagnasty

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just got an email from Amber at Lonestargrillz and my vertical insulated cooker is ready! Im really excited about the new cooker. Im headed to Texas Thursday with my teenage son on a road trip to pick it up. Give me some good places to try Teaxas style BBQ. I'll be going from Texarkana to Conroe probably on hwy 59. Any good joints along the way?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with those areas, but congrats on the new rig! LSGs makes some nice stuff! Post pics of the rig and reviews of the food joints you try...

IH-45 exit 164 at Centerville. Woodys Smoke house. Best jerky selection, pickles, mini pies and a gas station. Turkey jerky is out of this world. They have a cool website for mail order

Congrats on new pit

The Little Red Caboose BBQ hwy 30 east 7 mi into AR across the road from the Flying J Truck stop.

Louie Mullers in Lufkin

IH-45 exit 164 at Centerville. Woodys Smoke house. Best jerky selection, pickles, mini pies and a gas station. Turkey jerky is out of this world. They have a cool website for mail order

Congrats on new pit

Woody's has some great jerky, and fantastic German Sausage, but it is quite a bit out of his travel path.

From Hwy 59, you could hop over to Huntsville and try...

New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbecue
2601 Montgomery Rd
Huntsville, TX 77340
936-294-0884
Open Thur-Sat 11-7

I've read good and bad reviews of the cue, but the atmosphere is supposed to be exceptional. I think Gore may have been there, maybe he has an opinion.

From Huntsville, you are a half-hour drive to Conroe.

The legendary Texas BBQ joints are over near Austin, which is way off your path.

CD

Stop at a Buc-ee's! They are best gas stations in the world. They have everything and more. Fudge to yeti coolers. I recommend a hippo breakfast taco with spicy green sauce or a BLT for lunch. They have Q, but I have never it. It looks good, they have their own station in the store. Also off of 105 in Conroe, they have the best catfish around at Vernon's. If you get to town early, drive down to Houston, there a few good places. Pappas BBQ, Goode Company, Rudy's, and one of my favs Demeris BBQ. Enjoy your trip!

Just looked at those on the LSG site...
Nice!! Now, I want one!!!

What part of W. KY are you in?
(I'm from Paducah)

I have enjoyed there Q 4 or 5 trips always been happy.

New Zion Missionary Baptist Church Barbecue
2601 Montgomery Rd
Huntsville, TX 77340
936-294-0884
Open Thur-Sat 11-7

I've read good and bad reviews of the cue, but the atmosphere is supposed to be exceptional. I think Gore may have been there, maybe he has an opinion.

I'm glad yours is ready, now they can move on to mine.

Woody's is great, but it wouldn't be great enough for me to take the kind of detour you would need to. Mt. Zion would probably be worth it and it's not too far out of your way. Bucee's flagship stores are pretty amazing but probably too far out of your way.

Nobody down here, however, is going to have better Pulled Pork than Western KY in my opinion. I always enjoyed going to Hoskins in Folsomdale.

Thanks for all the help guys! Im leaving in the morning. Im very excited. Ive only been to texas once and it was a road trip back in my Army days. I cant wait to eat some texas BBQ. Maybe not the supreme Austin area style but hey, it will be an experience either way. I'll check in with you guys during the drive. Keep those suggestions coming! Ive seen these "hot links" on tv. Can I get those in east Texas??

Have a safe trip. I picked mine up a few weeks but have not cooked on it yet.

I did a test burn/seasoning session, got about 26 hours with 20# of charcoal.

Started out dry and when the temp hit 260 i added water a and dropped to 230 and held steady for at least 6 hours (went to sleep) woke up it was running 300 and held steady until it started running out of fuel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 47
Back