Meatloaf Recipes?

Cobra7

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Going to try a meatloaf on the smoker for diner. Any recipes and cooking time/temp recommendations?

We just did one the other night. Cooked at 300 for about 90 minutes until 155 IT. Make sure you leave an out for the grease to drain. I had it on parchment with some holes in it until the last 5 minutes or so. Then I moved it over the coals to crisp up the bottom, came out good.

As far as recipes, we just kind of wing it. We used the following:

1-1.5 lb ground beef
1 Cup plain oats
1 Cup picante sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup of milk
Some salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

Good luck!

Use Hitmans recipe, but to that add two cans of chopped green chilis and one cup shredded smoked Gouda. If you have fresh Roasted Hatch Green chilis even better. Drizzle with a mixture of ketchup and tiger sauce. Then finally. Smoke them in a steel or aluminum muffin tin. That way every one gets edge pieces.

Start with something your familiar with yours or your wifes recipe.. I go 250 until 160-165.. Be prepared for the best meat loaf of your life..

I like to hit with a brushing of sweeter sauce around 155..

Yeah when the kids aren't going to eat it, the green chilis are the best. I did one where i put a thin layer of Sriracha on top for the last 15 minutes or so, it was pretty awesome too.

Smoker is only way for Ml-IMHO

Use same minimum internal temp as burger. Your choice low and slow or hot and fast. Good regardless

Last edited:
Wow I like the muffin tin idea! I am gonna have to try that now. Are there holes in the bottom?

Here is a recipe from a guy in Alaska that I got off of another forum. I don't bother sautéing the onion, and peppers, and can't tell a difference.

Griff Loaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onions finely diced
½ red pepper finely diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup grated parmesan
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
ÂĽ cup milk
1large egg lightly beaten
5 or6 dashes of Worcestershire
½ tsp salt
ÂĽ tsp pepper
1.5 lbs ground beef
1 lbs sausage
Mix everything together and form into loaf. I smoke at 300-350* until the loaf hits 165*. Sauce can be added the last 15 minutes.

Also, I just free formed them and put them on the parchment on a cooling rack and they stayed together well.

I would like to throw my two cents in with the "use a familiar recipe" crowd. I haven't glazed when smoking. Instead, I use a rub. No particular reason; I just have not tried a it yet. One thing I would add though, if you use vegetables in your meatloaf, I would cook them a bit more than normal (or chop them smaller). They don't seem to soften up for me in the smoker.

Muffin meatloaf

Negative, no holes in the pan. These are great as is with veggies, as a giant meatball on spaghetti, as meatballs by themselves, really good with sloppy joe sauce. They freeze well and reheat in less than a minute in MW.

I keep mine simple.
1 1/2lb Beef
1lb Pork
2 eggs
1 cup panko
1 cup catsup
1 package onion soup mix
3 tbl spoons old bay
Mix the night before in a loaf pan, smoke @ 275 for 30 min in the pan and then flip over and lose the pan.
Take to 165 and let rest 10min before slicing.

Here is a good one I just started making. Miranda Lamberts mothers recipe. I never used sausage or brown sugar in my meatloaf before, gives it a great flavor. I put rub on top, before smoking.

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork sausage
18 saltine or ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

I use 1 pound of ground beef, one pound of ground pork, two eggs, one-half cup of bread crumbs, a cup of diced onions and some black pepper.

I cook mine on the mini-WSM, which likes to burn at 250. I don't use a pan -- the meat loaf goes right on the grate. I put a pie pan below as a drip pan. It takes about an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less. It is done at 160.

CD

I basically use the recipe off the Lipton's onion soup box. I add a bunch of diced and saute'd green pepper, onions and celery and usually add some chopped garlic as well. I just made one this week, seasoned outside of the loaf with SM Season All, tossed it on the Kettle at around 300-325 with some hickory for smoke. cooked to an IT of ~150 and glazed it with a mix of 1/3ea ketchup, mustard and Sweet Baby Rays, came out absolutely fabulous!

KC

I make it super simple. 2 pounds of ground beef, one egg, about a cup of italian bread crumbs and some salt n pepper. Sometimes I wrap in bacon, but I cook it at 325 for about an hour to IT 160. I like the hickory smoke on it and its the best meatloaf ive ever had

Here is a good one I just started making. Miranda Lamberts mothers recipe. I never used sausage or brown sugar in my meatloaf before, gives it a great flavor. I put rub on top, before smoking.

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground pork sausage
18 saltine or ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

+1 This is our go to recipe. Turns out great whether the wife cooks it in the oven or I cook it on the smoker. Very tasty!!

By ground pork sausage are you talking about something like Jimmie Dean or other ?

Jim

Back