The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   foiling 22.5 water pan (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119178)

pigout sc 10-28-2011 04:56 PM

foiling 22.5 water pan

Do most of you that use water foil both the outside and inside of pan? Last cook I only foiled the outside, cleanup was not to bad but wonder if it would be easier if I had foiled both sides. Thanks

Jason TQ 10-28-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigout sc (Post 1832748)
Do most of you that use water foil both the outside and inside of pan? Last cook I only foiled the outside, cleanup was not to bad but wonder if it would be easier if I had foiled both sides. Thanks

I have done it that way and clean up is easy as long as I do it right after :-P. I normally foil both and with the colder weather coming in have been running with no water and that makes clean up even easier.

Theresa B 10-28-2011 05:03 PM

We just got our 22.5 WSM ..hubby and I have differing openions...I just assumed you would foil the inside, that's where all the grease is going to fall into the water. He foiled the outside...his reasoning is it will be easier to clean from the smoke. I just can't see any reason why you care how dirty the outside gets...would love to have more openions...

pigout sc 10-28-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnbish (Post 1832756)
I have done it that way and clean up is easy as long as I do it right after :-P. I normally foil both and with the colder weather coming in have been running with no water and that makes clean up even easier.

Do you foil the inside of the pan when smoking with out water?

TomB 10-28-2011 05:09 PM

I foil. No water.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Jason TQ 10-28-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigout sc (Post 1832760)
Do you foil the inside of the pan when smoking with out water?

Yeah. I pretty much always foil both with or without water. I'm testing out right now how I like without water during the cooler weather. Temps have been as easy as normal to regulate.

Dave Russell 10-28-2011 05:12 PM

I don't foil the walls or dome of my cooker, so why would I foil the pan? It's just part of the smoker.

After rinsing the pan out, I'll use a plastic putty knife to knock off any crud but it doesn't have to be "clean". I'm just "hitting the high spots", just like I occasionally do to the cooker walls, and I'm actually more concerned with build-up inside the dome. Had black flakes show up on my butts once and my bark wasn't dark enough to hide 'em. Only time I'd recommend spritzing. :wink:

NorthwestBBQ 10-28-2011 05:24 PM

I foil the bowl all the way around it - with or without water.

powerpig 10-28-2011 07:52 PM

I foil the inside of my 18.5 WSM and don't use water. Did my first cook with the 22 WSM this past week and just set a foil pan with water in it and had no cleanup afterward. Just threw the pan away!

FamilyManBBQ 10-28-2011 08:03 PM

On both the 18 and the 22 I foil inside, outside, upside down (reading too many Dr Seuss books to the little one, sorry)! :becky:

Been leaving the pan empty, except when I cook ribs on the 22...always foil though.

rookiedad 10-28-2011 08:06 PM

i called weber and asked them to make disposable pan liners! :becky:

BigTony 10-28-2011 10:58 PM

10X cooks on my 22.5 now,9 with water and today without.
I hose the pan down in the back yard,see no reason to foil.
I'll probably use water tho-easier to control temps.T

NorthwestBBQ 10-28-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rookiedad (Post 1832954)
i called weber and asked them to make disposable pan liners! :becky:

That would be sweet! Two pieces that fit the bowl like a glove! :thumb:

pigout sc 10-29-2011 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=powerpig;1832939]I foil the inside of my 18.5 WSM and don't use water. Did my first cook with the 22 WSM this past week and just set a foil pan with water in it and had no cleanup afterward. Just threw the pan away![/QUOT

Sounds like a good idea,Where did you place the foil pan?

DLR 10-29-2011 06:41 AM

It's my understanding that with the water pan in the 22.5 you have to make the seam as tight as possible because water has a way of working it's way up and under it and makes it's way to the fire below thats why the dispossible pan would be a good idea IMO. The times I've used water I didn't foil the inside of the bowl. I guess thats one plus to using the clay saucer or sand, you don't have to use as much foil because of the shallow depth they create.