Pastrami Pastrami Pastrami

L

Larry Wolfe

I bought a corned beef brisket flat, well at least that's what they call a flat. It actually had a point that was just about the same size as the flat! No biggie, so I separated them and soaked in water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour. Then coated them with fresh ground coriander seeds, fresh cracked pepper and a good amount of granulated garlic.
Fired up the Junior with Royal Oak and two small hickory chunks. D-plates in position, piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to catch the drippage. Set the Digi Q at 225*, 6 hours later I had pastrami! Very very good! Best one I've made!
3-22-08014.jpg
3-22-08017.jpg
3-22-08018.jpg
3-22-08021.jpg
3-22-08025.jpg
3-22-08035.jpg
3-22-08044.jpg
3-22-08046.jpg
3-22-08052.jpg
3-22-08071.jpg

Pastrami looks great! Just did my first last Monday and I am hooked. That sandwich looks killer. I would eat that for breakfast.

I just plugged in my biscuit chitter and the pastrami is going in soon. Lazy Q today. Didn't expect to get Saturday off.

WOW that looks great thanks for the sharing of the process

Time to go eat you made me hungry

Nice job Larry. Looks very tasty, first thing on a Saturday morning.

I just had a follow up sammich for breffus and it's even better cold the next day! :mrgreen:

I just rubbed mine down and put them on the smoker. If anyone is wondering what makes Pastrami pastrami it's definately the corriander. It has a very unique Pastrami smell to it.

pastrami1.jpg
pastrami2.jpg

Two hours into cook. (please note superfast and accurate BLUE thermopen) In case you were wondering it's an FE100 Pellet smoker. I cooked the first couple of hours on the smoke setting which fluctuates from 160 to 180 degrees on my cooker. I just bumped it up to the 240 setting.

pastrami3.jpg
pastrami4.jpg

Looking good! I just picked up two corned beef points for $1.49 a pound. Gonna give this a shot next weekend.

I just rubbed mine down and put them on the smoker. If anyone is wondering what makes Pastrami pastrami it's definately the corriander. It has a very unique Pastrami smell to it.

pastrami1.jpg
pastrami2.jpg

I thought juniper was the "pastrami" ingredient

I thought juniper was the "pastrami" ingredient

Juniper berries are what makes Canadian bacon "Canadian" LOL. I just sliced my Pastrami. Tasted fantastic, but didn't look as nice as Larry's or Steve's, so no pics.

Pretty sure it's the coriander. When I ground it, it practically screamed 'PASTRAMI' at me. I thought they made Gin out of juniper berries ?

Correct. I've used gin to season Canadian bacon when I couldn't find Juniper berries.

Those are looking good!!! I agree, the coriander does make the pastrami, pastrami!! :biggrin:

Back