The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dumb Question from Newbie... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93384)

Fyrman_Mike 10-03-2010 07:53 PM

Dumb Question from Newbie...

Ok, so I am getting ready for my first competition which is a backyard comp at the KCBS event in Arthur, IL.

Question: Does your meat have to be packaged prior to inspection? I was wanting to do some of my trim work before arriving, but couldn't make heads or tales of the ruling. Even thought his is just a backyard event I am in, I want to "play" for real to get the true feel for the competition.

Also, I have family that butchers their own hogs. Can I use meat from them or does it have to be inspected meat? (Not planning on going this route, but want to know if it is even a possibility.)

Thank you all for the info. Look forward to maybe seeing some of you at the Arthur Event. Look for Res-Q BBQ!!!!:clap2:

JiveTurkey 10-03-2010 09:08 PM

No such thing as a dumb question. Check with your KCBS Rep beforehand but usually as long as the meat is not marinated, seasoned, or brined before they inspect then you'll be fine. They don't really care where it came from either so long as it's a fresh unaltered product. Trimming should be okay as well but check with your rep just to be sure. I like to cut my chicken at home so I dont have to deal with it in at the comp. Out here at my last comp they tested for temp as well so make sure it's on ice or in the fridge when they show up.

Hub 10-04-2010 06:31 AM

No dumb questions -- ask away! Yes, you can trim meat beforehand. No, you cannot season it. Source of meat can be commercial or local. Meat inspectors look for temperature and sanitary storage. Most pro competitors do all of their trim work the day before the contest to save time.

BBQ_Mayor 10-04-2010 07:01 AM

KCBS rules usually don't pertain to backyard comps but sometimes the organizer will follow the KCBS guidelines. Check with your contest organizer about the backyard rules.

BlkJeep 10-04-2010 07:33 AM

Thanks for question. I am also doing my first backyard event and was wondering the same thing.

Lake Dogs 10-04-2010 07:40 AM

For what it's worth, I dont know of any BBQ contest that I've seen (sanctioned or not)
that allowed pre-seasoned or pre-marinated meat. Pre-trimming is usually allowed, but
not pre-seasoning of any kind (nor obviously pre-cooking).

Keep it cold!

Stoke&Smoke 10-04-2010 10:09 AM

Just to be on the safe side Mike, it wouldn't hurt if you pre-trim to save the lables from your original packaging. Butts are supposed to be at least 5 lbs. Never had anyone ask to see the labels, but doesn't hurt to keep them with the meat until inspection is over. And as most everyone else has said, there are no stupid questions.

Look us up (2 Skinny Cooks) while you're there. We're going to try and get down there Thursday afternoon. Be sure and order yourself some of the sticky buns from the CIBR website!

Fyrman_Mike 10-05-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks all for the replies. Talked to the Cook-off chair and Pre-Trimming is OK. (Obviousy no marinating and such beforehand.) I believe they are using the KCBS rules as a guideline for the Backyard Cook-off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke (Post 1420720)
Just to be on the safe side Mike, it wouldn't hurt if you pre-trim to save the lables from your original packaging.

Great idea! I will DEFINATELY be sure to keep the labels. Planning on Vaccum sealing after trimming so that the meat doesn't get water logged in the cooler. (Haven't found a ziplock yet that didn't leak!)

We are planning on arriving Friday afternoon. Wanted to try and sit in on the cooks meeting Friday even though not in the full sanctioned part. Look forward to meeting you!

chambersuac 10-05-2010 03:16 PM

Hey, Fyrman, I'll be there, too. I'll try to fly my Brethren banner.

chambersuac 10-05-2010 03:17 PM

Oh, Fyrman Mike - you do know that you must cook BEEF ribs at this contest, right :-P just kiddin' ya.

Divemaster 10-05-2010 04:08 PM

I have never been asked for the original label... I get most of my meats weeks or even months ahead of time and other than the weight, the label would do no good...