The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rice, what's your favorite method (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28469)

parrothead 06-22-2007 01:35 PM

Rice, what's your favorite method

The corn on the cob thread that Tim started delivered some good information.

Let's try the same thing with rice as a side dish. Or, as part of a main dish as well I guess.

Let's hear them guys. What is your favorite way to cook that little white grain.

I love pineapple rice. That is one of my favorites.

Boil up your rice using a can of crushed pineapple as part of the liquid. I normally cook my rice in beef or chicken broth, but for this I have always used water. I don't know why. Maybe if they had pork broth I would use that.

Anyway, I also put a small amount of soy and a little sweet and sour sauce, but not too much of either. It's been a little while and I don't quite remember. I think I will have to make some this weekend.

I'll have the shovel ready for Brian when he gets back on and finds this thread.

frognot 06-22-2007 01:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Brian's favorite recipe is

Dig hole in back yard
Place rice in hole
Fill hole with dirt

Sorry for the hijack but i just had to.

Bill-Chicago 06-22-2007 01:40 PM

I have done something similar with replacing a portion of the water with salsa.

I think it was Jorge who shared a paella (sp) recipe one time that was the Brauma's Butt.

Because the wife hits the fad diets every so often, we have switched alot of recipes to the brown rice. Takes a bit longer than the white, but is pretty good.

Good idea Greg. Wonder if that recipe of Jorges is here somewhere. I'll go look

FatDad 06-22-2007 01:40 PM

Cooked with butter and chicken broth

n-2-que 06-22-2007 01:44 PM

i make fried rice

rice
1 half a onion (diced small)
soy sauce ( i use low sodium kikomann)
2 table spoons of bacon grease
2 large eggs
4-5 green onions

1.make 2 packages of boil in bag rice ( yea i am lazy)

2.meanwhile preheat the bacon grease and throw in your onion cook onion til translucent.

3. move onion to one side of pan. other side of pan scramble up the 2 eggs when eggs are almost done mix the onion eggs together.

4. next drop in the rice, mix everything up well

5. add some soy sauce and mix til you get a nice brown color not to much or will be salty.

6. before serving or after served on plate sprinkle with green onion

chad 06-22-2007 01:48 PM

We use a rice cooker! Replace the water with chicken broth for chicken dishes, use beef broth for beef dishes, etc.

We also have one recipe with mushrooms and beef broth for a side dish.

Spanish yellow rice is a favorite around here, too. And, after 7 years on Okinawa we make fried rice and our three years in Italy gave us rice balls.

Unfortunately with my diabetes and our dietary lifestyle changes we don't eat as much rice as we used to. Now its brown rice (though, I recently found out that Uncle Ben's Converted is recommended for people using the glycemic index for choices).

Harbormaster 06-22-2007 01:49 PM

Start with long grain wild rice in chicken broth.
While it is simmering, toast almond slivers in a pan.
Add brown rice to the wild rice.
Cook until brown rice is tender/all liquid absorbed.
Add toated slivered almonds.
Excellent as a side dish to a well cooked steak.

bbqjoe 06-22-2007 01:58 PM

I do a fried rice where I will brown the rice in butter before placing in the water to cook. It adds a whole different dimension to the finished product.
I prefer medium grain to all others.

Otherwise I just cook it up plain with salt and a ton of butter.

Roo-B-Q'N 06-22-2007 01:59 PM

I LOVE rissoto and this one is my all time favorite. Try it next time you have lamb, it rocks! I won't even tell you where I found this recipe as I know Parrothead has a strong opinon regarding this source. (I think man hands was used in his description :twisted: )

1 quart chicken stock
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus some for drizzling
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup peas, defrosted
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, plus a few sprigs for garnish
Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Place the stock in a small pot and warm it up over medium low heat.

Heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 turn of the pan, with a tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium to medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add onions and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes the add Arborio and cook a minute more. Add wine and cook it all away, 1 minute. Add a few ladles of warm broth and let that cook off, stirring occasionally. The risotto will take 22 minutes to cook. Add a ladle of broth from time to time until risotto is starchy, creamy and cooked to al dente. Add peas about 2 minutes before serving. Add in cheese, chopped mint and parsley just before serving.

Steppenwolf 06-22-2007 02:24 PM

I'm not a big rice fan unless it's being used as a bed for pepper steak or something. But here's a simple one from Campbells.
For every two cups of water substitute 1 can of Golden Mushroom soup along with one and a third can water. I'll usually put salsa on top.

Habormaster, that sounds good and simple. I'll be trying that one. :-D

Bigmista 06-22-2007 02:28 PM

Bigmista's yellow rice with canteloupe salsa

2 cups Chicken Broth (or water with chicken bouliion)
1 tsp tumeric
2 tsp curry powder (if you don't have tumeric on hand, replace with more curry Powder)
1 cup long grain rice
1 cup Bigmista's Canteloupe Salsa

Bring the broth and seasonings to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat and cover pot. Cook until water is gone. Don't burn the pot! Just listen. If you don't hear any bubbling, the rice is done.

Add the salsa to the rice. Mix well and serve!

CajunSmoker 06-22-2007 02:29 PM

I made jerk chicken last weekend and made rice for the sidedish with;

1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 TBS extra hot jerk seasoning(McCormick jerk seasoning cut 50/50 with cayenne pepper)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
couple of dashes of La hot sauce

bring to boil and cover. Turn down to simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let set on warm burner for another 30 min. Damn good rice.

Bigmista 06-22-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 415385)
3 TBS extra hot jerk seasoning(McCormick jerk seasoning cut 50/50 with cayenne pepper)

couple of dashes of La hot sauce

Decided not to make it spicy, huh?

C Rocke 06-22-2007 03:05 PM

3 Cheese Chile Rice Bake

Make up 6-8 cups of your favorite instant rice. In a greased casserole dish start with a bottom layer of rice, and then layer of cheese/chile mixture, and repeat 2-3x. Top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Cheese mixture - Shredded cheddar, jack, and mozarella, one cup each. 2 cans of diced ortega chiles, drained (Or jalapenos for me). 1/4 cup chopped onion. 1/4 cup sour cream. Mix all ingedients together for layering.

Mooner 06-22-2007 03:24 PM

Good old sticky spanish rice is da bomb!