The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trietler's Hog Head Cheese and Sausage? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169278)

Darkman 08-23-2013 09:26 AM

Trietler's Hog Head Cheese and Sausage?

Will be in Picayune, Mississipi tomorrow Saturday and plan to buy some fresh sausage at Trietlers. Heard they used to be more South but Katrina took them out and they rebuilt in Picayune. I seem to have some remembrance that they were a good sausage maker.

Anyone have a clue or other recommendation near Picayune?

Will eat at "The Shed" on way back home.

Darkman 08-24-2013 03:01 AM

Will look at Coonies Meat Market also. I'll report later.

IamMadMan 08-24-2013 09:46 AM

Good luck, looking forward to your report..

Darkman 08-24-2013 07:44 PM

Well it was a productive adventure. My main purpose for the trip was visit to the USDA/MSU field trials of Muscadines. We had a great time there and tasted over twenty different varieties including a seedless muscadine that holds much promise for the future. The event was scheduled to end at 1100 and at 1051 it started to sprinkle. Perfect timing.

We left there and went South on MS Hwy 11 into Picayune and stopped at Coonies Meat Shop where I met Nick and his Dad. These guys know how to run a butcher shop. I stopped there to buy three or four pounds on sausage for trialing. I left out of there with about $120.00 of mostly sausage and a full stomach. Nick insisted that we try everything and by the time we were through I imagine I had eaten a pound of sausage. It was all great. Without telling us exactly what it was he asked us to try a pork product. I kinda guessed what it was when I saw it but my wife had no clue. It was of course Hog Head Cheese. What a strange name for such a tasty item. It was very different from others I had had years ago but then again eating this shops products was almost like experiencing a new food group. Actually Sausage should be a food group. He does a coarse grind and it gives a texture to the sausages letting you know this is real meat. His Jalapeno and Cheese sausages were just awesome. No wishy washy flavors that leaves your tongue begging for something to do other than move the food around but nothing that will burn your tongue out stopping you from experiencing the other subtle spices and flavors. Another equally amazing taste was his Smoked Boudin. Incredible. You want something to stuff in a chicken breast this is it. I guess not to surprising for the local but he has Alligator sausage, Yep tasted that too. Very good! Andouille Awesome. Even the run of the meal smoked sausage was really good. You just wouldn’t get tired of eating it. Maybe I’m just behind the times but even his hamburger meat was good. Oh yeah we tasted that too. He has some called Bacon Cheeseburger. How can I describe this. It was a smokey, baconey, cheesey and really had a Beef taste which was followed by a special little burn of spice. I can’t wait to grill these babies up! Then there was the BC burgers cousin the Swiss and Mushroom Burger. Crawfish Boudin where you could actually see crawfish in it! Italian links. Green Onion sausage. This guy does it all and I think that is the point! He does it. It isn’t delivered in the little refrigerated truck and hasn’t been sitting around for days. Everything is fresh. His shop was clean. Well it and everyone including the customers were friendly. Obviously most were regulars and he knew them by name and what their likes were although everyone seemed to like most everything. One lady was swearing by his pork chops and another lady was purchasing marinated chicken breast. He also will do custom orders. Just tell him what you are looking for and he’ll make it. Want a whole pig or goat! He has them. He had something called Red Deer. Turns out its Elk sausage. How bout Chicken apple sausage. That’s for a return trip. If I hadn’t gotten full I’d probably spent more. LOL

Now about Treitlers. I can’t say. After Coonies I just couldn’t make it there. I had called him earlier and he said all of his sausage was a fine grind. He did clarify that it wasn’t totally homogenized (his word not mine). I just couldn’t imaging comparing the two especially knowing I don’t like fine grind sausages. Sorry guys.

I am not a professional food critic nor have I had any training in judging of food so I can only call it as I see and taste it. Your taste may not agree at all with mine. All I know is that I am happy with what I purchased and I’m sorry that the butcher shop is 200 miles from my house!