The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   pulled pork sauced? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57739)

Brian in So Cal 03-03-2009 06:20 PM

pulled pork sauced?

Do you sauce your pulled pork when doing catering gigs?
Or do you let the client decide?

Thanks

smokinit 03-03-2009 06:35 PM

I let them sauce it.

Bentley 03-03-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal (Post 868654)
Do you sauce your pulled pork when doing catering gigs?
Or do you let the client decide?

Thanks

I try and have my client make as few decision as possible...Ok, enough funny stuff.

I would think you would want it always on the side, Mista was saying last night he tries to get his customers to taste it without sauce 1st and then experience the full flavor of his BBQ with HIS sauce.

Them old tymers say if it needs sauce it aint BBQ...I say if it dont have sauce on it it Aint BBQ!

Norcoredneck 03-03-2009 07:48 PM

Run of the mill people think BBQ is sauce. I think a thin mixed in sauce helps keep the meat from drying out. Gotta remember when selling in an outdoor environment you typically have pulled pork in a schafer or warmer where it is either gettin dried by air/heat. Nothing like the fresh stuff we are used to getting when we cook for ourselves. Also cuts down on waste. How many people you see that takes a ketchup dispenser and fills a boat or 15 cups only to toss 80% away? Think what they would do with good sauce. Now if a purist like many of us goes in and asks for sauce on the side then you pull from the reserve. Then again I don't vend or do contest so what do I know.

Jacked UP BBQ 03-03-2009 07:54 PM

When catering for me, sauce is boss to the customers. Does not make them any less of people, just what they like. It almost seems silly to me when people say they hate sauce on meat because that's not the way its suppose to be. BBQ sauce got it's name from somewhere. I do not believe that the meat should be overwhelmed by suace, but a nice thinned out sauce to compliment the meat goes nice.

Bbq Bubba 03-03-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 868671)
I let them sauce it.

Ditto, gallon dispenser on the side.

How are you going to market your sauce if its already on the meat? :cool:

Mike - CSBBBQ 03-03-2009 08:21 PM

Far from a pro but cater several times a year. Add a thin sauce to help keep moist and have extra for thos who so choose.

Marsha 03-03-2009 08:37 PM

I agree with just a little bit of the thin sauce, with more available on the side. Not everyone likes the same amount of sauce. I am if the school of let me taste it first and then add a bit of sauce to compliment, not drowned, the meat.

big brother smoke 03-03-2009 09:34 PM

For me it is up to the client, experience has taught me to just ask. To most, the sauce is the most important thing about Q, unfortunate, but true! Now I do try to try to sway the customer to do the sauce on the side, but it does not work that way all the time.

Bigmista 03-03-2009 10:17 PM

On my pulled pork, I sprinkle on some extra rub, some apple cider vinegar and a small amount of sauce and mix well. If you didn't know I put on, you wouldn't be able to tell it's there. Helps it stay moist.

Michael in PA 03-03-2009 11:26 PM

We do it sorta like Bigmista. We have a thin vinegar sauce (we call it dip) that we mix into the pork to keep it moist and our barbecue sauce is served on the side. People don't even realize that the pork is sauced.

Now three interesting things happen with that dip - It provides an opportunity to introduce fresh flavors to the pork, it dissolves some of the seasoning on the bark and mixes with some of the rendered fat and meat juices. And that is when the happiness occurs...

KuyasKitchen 03-04-2009 04:01 AM

Honestly, I wish purists (on all topics) would just go away. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

If someone wants sauce soup with their meat .. OK. If someone wants none, OK too.

After all, this is food ... and every one of us has different taste.

TysDad 03-04-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 868932)
On my pulled pork, I sprinkle on some extra rub, some apple cider vinegar and a small amount of sauce and mix well. If you didn't know I put on, you wouldn't be able to tell it's there. Helps it stay moist.

So that's part of the reason it's so freakin' good. And no, I didn't know it -- just thought I got bits pulled from the bottom of the tray that were super moist. After two bites, I smothered it in your sauce anyway...Most Excellent!

fireman_pete 03-05-2009 01:10 PM

I do not cater, but I do serve large groups of people at parties, work functions, etc.

Since I normally cannot cook the day of, I cook/pull in advance and store in ziploc bags.

When I warm up the pulled pork (normally in a large crock pot), I add a mixture a 25/75 BBQ sauce and apple cider to keep the meet from drying out.

I always serve sauce on the side.

My two cents.

Pete

Brian in So Cal 03-05-2009 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the tips.