• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rookie building UDS

georgiasmoke

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of building a UDS and I've got a problem. I acquired a free drum from a local truck accessory store but it used to have a resin in it that is used for Line-X bedliners. So what I did was take it to the car wash and I washed it out to where it looks brand new on the inside. But I know it isn't completely clean, so my question is, should I finish it off with a good hot fire or should I go some other direction? I just want to make sure I don't poison myself or my family. Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions.

Good luck

That liner is hard to remove. I made 6 UDS smokers this year. The first three had the liner, the last three I was careful to find barrels without liners.
Regarding the liner, I burned, wirewheeled and sanded. But still in the areas where the walls of the barrels met the bottom, I could not remove the liner to my satisfaction. I ultimately had them sandblasted for $25 a piece. Good luck with the liner.

Can you take a grinder with a wire wheel to the inside and get it all before the burn?

That liner is hard to remove. I made 6 UDS smokers this year. The first three had the liner, the last three I was careful to find barrels without liners.
Regarding the liner, I burned, wirewheeled and sanded. But still in the areas where the walls of the barrels met the bottom, I could not remove the liner to my satisfaction. I ultimately had them sandblasted for $25 a piece. Good luck with the liner.

Well I am not quite sure what you mean by a liner, but the stuff that was in it was just a black liquid resin. And as soon as I hit it with the pressure washer it came off. Like I said it looks like brand new metal on the inside.

You should always burn out a drum. Even if it's new and unlined. Fire is an amazing sterilizer. I'd take a sander to it and see what it does. If the sander doesn't appear to remove anything then you're probably ok with just a good hot burn. There may be a clear coat of some kind you're not seeing.

Back