Texas hill country style sausage day

blues_n_cues

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
pouring rain yesterday so I thought I'd get busy w/ this.
measurements-
8ttl. lbs 80/20 beef/pork after trimming
top round for beef & butt for pork.

2.5 heaping tbsp minced garlic(from a jar)
1 heaping tbsp cracked black pepper
3 tsp coarse sea salt
2 tsp hot Hungarian paprika
4 tsp regular spanish paprika
sprinkle of fajita spice

sausagemaking001.jpg

sausagemaking003.jpg

sausagemaking006.jpg

sausagemaking007.jpg

sausagemaking008.jpg

sausagemaking011.jpg

sausagemaking012.jpg

sausagemaking014.jpg

fry test nice & lean & spicy.
sausagemaking015.jpg

sausagemaking017.jpg

sausagemaking019.jpg

sausagemaking020.jpg

tasted real close & looked right but I won't be sure until it sits overnight & then smoked. it could be a tad spicier but still good.

helpful hint-grease or rub the stuffer tube w/ a dab of meat before putting the very 1st casing on. I forgot & man it was a b*tch.
sweating.gif

told ya it was flooding-
sausagemaking018.jpg

sausagemaking021.jpg

sausagemaking022.jpg

I am from the Texas Panhandle and was not familiar with V&V until now. Just looked it up.

I am gonna have to whip a batch of that up very soon. Thanks for the post.

Looking fwd to the final review after you smoke'm. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarked! I will absolutely be doing this! I still don't think I've had better sausage than what they got in Elgin and New Braunfels. This'll be my next batch. :whoo:

Nice work there! :clap2:

Bookmarked! I will absolutely be doing this! I still don't think I've had better sausage than what they got in Elgin and New Braunfels. This'll be my next batch. :whoo:

Nice work there! :clap2:
ty. it's the same as what you would get there. oak & pecan will make it really authentic & you can even add some ground dried jalapenos.:loco:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Next time put casing in a bowl of water.Get some of it inside the casing before putting on the tube.Use one hand to guide casing on the tube and the other to keep water moving down the unapplied casing.It's OK to have some water still in it to lube it as you stuff.One of those things that's easied shown than described.

no.this is a fresh sausage.
it's a Hungarian style sausage adapted by the Texas folk & it doesn't contain caraway seed either like most recipes.
I've just been under the impression that any sausage that is smoked, should have some curing salt added to lessen the risk of botulism.

I've just been under the impression that any sausage that is smoked, should have some curing salt added to lessen the risk of botulism.

Depends on the temp you smoke at and for how long. Curing isn't really necessary for hot smoking.

Depends on the temp you smoke at and for how long. Curing isn't really necessary for hot smoking.
Thanks, just started getting into sausage making...this recipe looks good, think I'll give it a try.

That does sound very good, just think I'll do a batch this weekend!

Back