The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Homemade Sauce (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140772)

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 08-05-2012 06:33 PM

Homemade Sauce

I was thinking about making a sweet and hot BBQ sauce. Any ideas where to start? Is it better to just buy commercial sauce and doctor it yourself?

brokenarrowjbe 08-05-2012 06:43 PM

I have never found an off the shelf sauce that I liked. I have often doctored them up but really prefer my own recipe. I grew up in eastern NC and prefer a vinegar based sauce so that makes it easy for me cause I have my Aunt's tried and true recipe. Good luck, John

Trumpstylz 08-05-2012 06:52 PM

The blues hog sauces and head country are amazing.

If you don't have access to those, I recently made the shack sauce and doctored it a little. Turned out great- its especially great for pork.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 08-05-2012 06:57 PM

I've got some Blues Hog and Cowtown. I like the Blues Hog better. I was kicking around the idea of making my own to see if I could make something good without having to buy sauce and add to it. Just not sure where to start. I see recipes on the net all the time, but I would trust someone here more than a random website.

Trumpstylz 08-05-2012 07:17 PM

The shack (attack?) sauce thats been popular on here is one of the best sauces I've made.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 08-05-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks!! I'll try to find it.

Bludawg 08-05-2012 07:58 PM

This is a very good sauce for just about everything.

Texas Red Sauce

This is a thin sauce, very
basic and good on all
meats.

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
6 Tbl white sugar
2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp chili powder
1tsp back pepper
1tbl New mexico chili powder
1 tbl paprika
2 tsp Cholula hot sauce
2 tbl Worcestershire

In a microwavable bowl or large measuring cup combine vinegar, water, sugar and spices.
Heat on high 1 min stir to dissolve sugar allow to cool 20 min. stir in ketchup and Wostershire and bottle.
Allow to sit at least 4 hrs or overnight.

* use beef stock instead of water and cut the sugar by 2/3 for Brisket.

jonboy 08-05-2012 08:04 PM

Check out the smoke signals issue for the wicked good bbq sauce.
http://www.smokesignalsmagazine.com/SSM/Issue9/index
This is a really good sauce.
jon

Butt Rubb'n BBQ 08-05-2012 08:05 PM

Go for it my friend. There is no more satisfaction than makeing your own sauce or rub expecially if you compete. Sweet and hot that's the way I do it. Where is the fun in buying a sauce. To answer your question a great place to start is your favorite pepper sauce, ketchup, corn syrup and chili sauce. I could tell you more but then I would have to off you. :laugh:

DJnKY 08-05-2012 08:08 PM

I like a recipe I make, but find that i can doctor a store sauce cheaper than making mine. Many times I can stock up on sauces on sale for a buck per bottle.

Trumpstylz 08-05-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 2165172)
Check out the smoke signals issue for the wicked good bbq sauce.
http://www.smokesignalsmagazine.com/SSM/Issue9/index
This is a really good sauce.
jon

Is it the ique sauce on pg 15??

Cloudsmoker 08-05-2012 08:30 PM

FWIW - At JOS school, Myron recommends people should buy rubs but make their own sauces. Mixon claims that the Average Joe simply cannot buy the quality ingredients for rubs that food service companies use (and even his own rubs were not as good as the ones with his recipe now being sold under his label). Great sauces, however, can be made from store available ingredients, are more easily adjusted to your own personal tastes, and are gemerally better when made fresh. Just sayin.

Personally, I make a KC style BBQ sauce, just adapted for the tastes and ingredients my wife likes best. Happy wife, happy life.

IamMadMan 08-05-2012 08:51 PM

You can't beat homemade BBQ Sauce as it tailored to your individual tastes and likes.

However sometimes there is not enough time to make the sauce, so I am sure we are all guilty of doctoring and mixing some type of commercial sauces to try and meet our individual tastes and likes.

yakdung 08-05-2012 10:23 PM

I use an off the shelf sauce and alter it. My family likes it so much, they put it on all types of food.

Bro-be-que 08-05-2012 10:41 PM

making my own sauce has become one of the most enjoyable parts of my BBQ experiences! i love tinkering with the spices and consistencies.

i made some stinkers, but i eventually have gotten to where i can't use commercial sauces anymore. i prefer my own 'brand'!