The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How much $? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48795)

wlfpkrcn 09-06-2008 08:21 AM

How much $?

With the current laws and regs it looks like I'll be doing the "cook-4-hire" to start. How much would you charge per person (on average) if the client is buying the meat?

TysDad 09-07-2008 09:25 AM

How about a flat hourly rate? Don't forget to include your overhead and travel costs into the rate. Simple, easy to understand and you don't have to worry about counting heads or getting into a discussion with the customer about how many or how much. You also won't be bothered if the client asks you to stay longer to help put away tables and such. Sure, I'll help - you're paying.... Make sure you have a two hour minimum or something to make a drive out worth it if something happens.

At least until you do it some more...

Roo-B-Q'N 09-07-2008 10:47 AM

Just make sure you tell the customer exactly what to buy if you are not the one physically going to purchase the meat. You can and will end up surprised with the product if you let your client do it, and then when it does not turn out the way they want it . . . who's fault is it? Ususally yours no mater what.

Good luck !

Marsha 09-08-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N (Post 732021)
Just make sure you tell the customer exactly what to buy if you are not the one physically going to purchase the meat. You can and will end up surprised with the product if you let your client do it, and then when it does not turn out the way they want it . . . who's fault is it? Ususally yours no mater what.

Good luck !

Excellent advice!

wlfpkrcn 09-08-2008 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info

jbrink01 09-22-2008 04:19 PM

Per person is not the way i'd go. I would charge $30 - $40 an hour, and they pay you for supplies that you buy - control the quality.

big brother smoke 09-22-2008 06:40 PM

I simply would not do a gig where I was not involved with purchasing the meat, unless of course it was for charity!

bbqbull 09-22-2008 06:48 PM

I supply all my own meat when I did catering jobs.
That way I know it was iced down w/in 10-15 minutes after it came out of the cooler from where it was purchased.
I would flat refuse to have anybody get the meats them selves and bring it for you to cook.
Kinda like somebody handing you a firearm w/out the chance for you to examine it and see if its loaded or not and your told to point it at somebody............
Its basically Russian Roulette!

big brother smoke 09-22-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 743767)
I supply all my own meat when I did catering jobs.
That way I know it was iced down w/in 10-15 minutes after it came out of the cooler from where it was purchased.
I would flat refuse to have anybody get the meats them selves and bring it for you to cook.
Kinda like somebody handing you a firearm w/out the chance for you to examine it and see if its loaded or not and your told to point it at somebody............
Its basically Russian Roulette!

Yep! In my example, I was speaking about charities who get food chains to donate, etc...

Bbq Bubba 09-22-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N (Post 732021)

Good luck !

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 743765)
I simply would not do a gig where I was not involved with purchasing the meat, unless of course it was for charity!

I agree!

Bottom line, always purchase the food your cooking YOURSELF!
Too many risks otherwise.