The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   washing raw meat? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33775)

watg? 11-13-2007 10:11 AM

washing raw meat?

Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

Neal 11-13-2007 10:14 AM

I always rinse meat off in cold water prior to doing any work...just to get the slime off.

timzcardz 11-13-2007 10:17 AM

Personally, I use Dawn! The lemon citris flavor adds something.

http://www.cal-lector.com/Brethren/2...2PrimeRib2.jpg

P.S. I'm kidding of course. I sometimes will rinse though.

Dale P 11-13-2007 11:04 AM

I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.

michiana mark 11-13-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale P (Post 497055)
I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.

I agree.

ique 11-13-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watg? (Post 497026)
Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

Vinegar does a good job at cleaning off and killing any bacterial buildup on the meat after removing from the cryo. I find it particularly useful with a wet aged brisket to remove some of the musty odors and blood from the exterior.

The long cooking process though probably handles any sanitation concern.

smokincracker 11-13-2007 12:27 PM

I keep a spray bottle with one cup apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water.
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

If you try it once you will most likely make it a habit.

Eliminates any odor and kills any surface bacteria.
Eliminates the slime from the meat and makes it much easier to handle.

Pig Headed 11-13-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokincracker (Post 497113)
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

Jimmy, this sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

BBQchef33 11-13-2007 01:35 PM

i rince all meats with water once it comes out of the package , then give them a light rub down with cider or rice vinegar .

Smokin J 11-13-2007 08:13 PM

I always rinse with cold water, and some times again with white vinegar.

Sawdustguy 11-13-2007 08:48 PM

We always wash the blood and goo of of everything. Being we age briskets they sometimes look kinda funky and you have to do it.

SmokeInDaEye 11-14-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Great tip, Jimmy! Wouldn't have saved my nasty arse ribs at my last contest but makes a ton of sense. That's why you are, technically, da man.:biggrin:

ole'e 11-14-2007 08:29 AM

rincing meat

I will sometime rince the brisket if it musky, other than that no.

ZBQ 11-14-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Good tip Jimmy. I usually just rinsed with cold water and patted dry with paper towels but I'm going to try this.

That slime sure makes it hard to handle a big ole butt or packer with gloves on.

DeanC 11-14-2007 11:06 AM

A lot of the babybacks that I have purchased recently from Sams have a lot of bone and slime on them and I rinse them. I have never rinsed anything else, but now I will try the apple vinegar w/water, thanks.