The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I'm not man enough to eat that mess anymore. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186602)

lantern 04-18-2014 09:50 AM

I'm not man enough to eat that mess anymore.

When I was younger I could literally eat or drink anything and would either show no ill signs or...just didn't care about the discomfort from eating certain foods. I AM NOT THAT WAY NOW.

Where this affects my life in the biggest way is grilled and smoked foods. Dirty smoke, overly charred foods, gas used for heat and even the treatments commonly used to keep foods moist now render my body into a bubbling, room clearing, acid reflux filled, confined to the bathroom, no sleeping tonight pile of sadness.

When I make bbq or grilled foods at the house this doesn't happen...unless I do it to myself by refusing to let "mistakes" go into the trash.:tsk:

Now, here's the problem. I LOVE bbq and I love eating everybody's style of bbq. Now, as we all know 8 times outta 10 eating restaurant bbq can be disappointing. But, with these added bodily reactions I think I'm done. I mean I just tried out a new joint last weekend and can honestly say that the pork was as moist and tender as any I've had at a restaurant within 100 miles of here and the sliced brisket was as good as I've had in this state(no accomplishment I know). But, just as I was finishing I knew I was in for a fun time. And I was right. I hurt and was having bathroom problems THROUGH the next day.

So, that's it. I'm officially too old and my body isn't tough enough for most restaurant BBQ anymore.

How 'bout ya'll? I know most understand we make it better at home, but have any others decided they CAN'T eat it anymore? Not just that they like their own better.

MikeR 04-18-2014 10:00 AM

That sux- no issues here.

LMAJ 04-18-2014 10:00 AM

I can't eat BBQ (or at least not much of it) for dinner anymore, keeps me up all night. It's lunch time thing for me now... so sad this getting older stuff.

palmtreefrb 04-18-2014 10:03 AM

Talk to your doctor about Nexium :thumb:

sumrtym 04-18-2014 10:20 AM

I don't handle grease like I used to at all. That being said, either eating a probiotic yogurt or pill a day has worked wonders for me.

bigabyte 04-18-2014 10:25 AM

I don't necessarily have that problem with overly greasy food, I just don't LIKE overly greasy food as much now. I mean, some old standby recipes still taste good, but I have modified most of them at this point to cut down the excess greasiness because, well...I just don't like it any more.

Bludawg 04-18-2014 10:27 AM

I don't eat BBQ out or anything else for that matter much anymore as I am disappointed with the quality and the prices. Dirty fire & Gas cooked stuff (Southern Pride ect) rip me a new one too.

aquablue22 04-18-2014 10:28 AM

They make a pill for that these days, 30 years of traveling for work left me pretty much unable to eat anything without it going both directions in a hurry. Fixed that will a pill, still have to be careful.

DriverWild 04-18-2014 10:30 AM

Is there that much of a difference between restaurant and home cooked bbq? What are they adding at restaurants that would contribute, liquid smoke or msg maybe? I just recently found out that eggs cause serious stomach issues for me. I'm sure it would be a relief to you to know exactly what it is that is causing the issues then you could potentially avoid it at home or when you go out.

sliding_billy 04-18-2014 10:35 AM

Like John Rambo, I can "eat things that would make a billy goat puke."

castlepines 04-18-2014 10:36 AM

No problems here, but I hear you about the disappointment in restaurant BBQ. Even my meager home cooking BBQ skills can produce better stuff than I've had in most restaurants...in this area anyway.

Offthehook 04-18-2014 11:07 AM

I find that moderation seems to help as well.

jamus34 04-18-2014 11:53 AM

I find in general what I eat (and more precisely I think) what I drink are catching up to me. I drink a lot of coffee daily (4-5 cups usually) and I think it's really starting to affect me.

Every now and again I cut back to 1 cup a day and I'll be pretty good. I also drink a lot of water which is a good thing however it also adversely affects things too.

Like smrtyme said the probiotic pills seem to help, especially if I need to take antibiotics for something.

Erik van Voorst 04-18-2014 12:11 PM

The fact that you can stuff yourself with garbage and show no spontaneous after-effects is indeed an achievement.

The fact that you have eaten poor quality food and/or experienced poor cooking is a whole new different story on its own and seems to be for 90 percent only noticed by " the OLDER ones" among us .......AND ARE WE NOT BLESSED BY THAT KNOWLEDGE :-D

16Adams 04-18-2014 12:31 PM

No flour no sugar no processed foods. Nothing fried

Meat, greens, veggies, beans, nuts and seeds.
I used to take a Prevacid at night and a Tagamet in the morning and my mint of choice was Tums or Rolaids.

When I adopted Dr Joel Furhmans Eat To Live lifestyle about 99% of the time, no more discomfort. I slip every now and then, it does take discipline.