Quail w/ Jagermeister & Redbull Sauce

Pig Daddy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A long while ago I bought a book called "King of the Q's Blue Plate BBQ" by Teddy Reader and have not been dissapointed in the least bit. One of the great things about this book is that many of the recipes incorporate the use of alcohol in unique ways. :thumb:

One recipe in particular has always caught my eye, but for whatever reason I have never cooked it - until today that is. It's a recipe for grilled quail using a Jagermeister and Redbull basting sauce. So, with the wife being out of town on buisness and Friday, Pig Daddy (that's me) broke out the Jager! :clap2:

Although Reader's recipe calls for using his "Bone Dust" as a rub, I used Oakridge Wild Game Rub instead. I love that stuff. In addition to the rub, the basting sauce recipe calls for honey, butter, Jagermeister, Redbull, hotsauce and bbq sauce.

DSCN4204_zps2cd5c1ec.jpg

I've never eaten quail before. Here's what they look like.

DSCN4212_zpsc24ca673.jpg

First thing I did was rinse and pat dry these birds. Then I trimmed the backbones out from each of them.

DSCN4250_zpsae99eb97.jpg

Kinda remind me of frogs...

DSCN4242_zps3554c79a.jpg

Then I crisscrossed wooden skewers through the legs and breast in order to keep them flat on the grill while cooking.

DSCN4254_zps68251198.jpg

Next, with the aide of my little helper, I made the basting sauce.

DSCN4278_zpsb7737f10.jpg

DSCN4282_zps1ae91638.jpg

DSCN4279_zpsf9e2b3ef.jpg

DSCN4284_zps231a8da9.jpg

After the munchkin mixed it all together, I lit the Chargriller. I planned to cook these over direct, hight heat. Below is a picture of my set up.

DSCN4299_zpsb6901eec.jpg

Once the Chargriller got up to temp, I applied Oakridge Wild Game Rub to each quail.

DSCN4291_zps65090ce5.jpg

And grilled for a total of about 12 minutes - about 6 minutes per side. I started basting after the first 6 minutes.

DSCN4313_zps2ada619b.jpg

Not a whole lot of meat on these and turned out really to be nothing more than an afternoon snack, but man, were they tasty. Reader's recipe is ingenious. I served the final product alongside a few shots of Jagermeister of course. The little guy had apple juice in the event you were wondering. What a great day.Thanks for looking!

DSCN4325_zps826cdd0c.jpg

Great post.
Jaeger works very well with poultry
I've used Jaeger and orange zest with duck.

Back