• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoky portabella barleysagna

Zippylip

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I love lasagna as much as the next guy but wanted one with pasta that had some kick back. I’m a huge fan of barley, love its texture & resiliency so I figured it might have potential as a substitute for pasta if it could be formed into lasagna sheets in its natural intact form. This was the first experiment:

Begin with a one cup batch, cook it down till sludge-like then spread it out on a plastic wrap lined cookie sheet to a uniform thickness, then another sheet on top with some weight (I used a 5lb bag of rice). Into the fridge to set up (plan being that the starch would cement it all together to form a workable sheet).

The next day: removed the plastic wrap & sliced the barley sheets to fit the Pyrex dish:

So far so good, it held together. Here’s a small section trimmed off the side:

Meanwhile, grill some portabella mushrooms with some cherry smoke:

To the dish add whole milk ricotta that has been sufficiently flogged with air, locatelli, salt & pepper:

Then add the smoky sliced mushrooms:

Then the second sheet of ‘pasta’:

Top off with some mozzarella, olive oil, & herbs:

Back onto the cooker:

I baked this for about 30 minutes, around 350, just to get everything welded together & add a nice hint of smoke:

Sliced down:

On some simple sauce:

It was so good I hadda go in for a second:

This was tasty as hell & no harder or easier than making it with traditional lasagna sheets. It accomplished the desired effect, a texture difference between the pasta & the other ingredients. Probably has some health benefits as well over the alternative

Nice use of the pearled barley. Thanks for sharing. Been looking for a way to add this into our menu at home.

That looks pretty awesome! Aren't you the guy I got the killer pizza dough recipe from awhile back? Chef Extraordinaire!

Looks tasty! I'm a fan of barley too...thanks for the post!

smoked hot sausage barley crusted pizza, the barleyzza

Had to get rid of the second half of the bag of barley & it’s not quite soup season yet, so I cooked it down & shaped it into a pizza crust:

Into a pizza pan:

Some mozzarella:

Hot Italian sausage & plum tomatoes:

Need to dull the taste buds in case this doesn’t work out:

Onto the egg @ about 500:

About 15 minutes later:

How’s that for thin crust:

Slices pretty well:

You have to eat about the first half with a fork but then it’s small enough to pick up & eat:

Overall, pretty good, though not as good as the lasagna due to the extra crispy edges that were too crunchy. The lasagna retained much more moisture so it wasn’t an issue, but this was tasty

Back