PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment ** LOCKED ***Sam's Club BBQ Series/National Championship

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ThomEmery
02-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Guys Benny is one heck of a cook by himself

ique
02-11-2011, 08:12 AM
The rest are really more PO'd at another example of KCBS mismanagement in not having thought of this when creating rules.

I think its pretty clear. " teams are allowed to register only one time, and only for one contest during the registration period."

Do we really need to get the lawyers involved to think up every loophole?

I like to mentor other cooks and can't do that if I have to submit a team roster before the season starts. Having a roster is taking things to far, we're in this for fun as well as money.

Exactly, no more rules please. Keep it simple and assume the cooks have integrity.

dmprantz
02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Twice I said I wasn't accusing them of anything. How is that less than flattering?

It's really easy to say something, intending on it coming across a certain way as you say it in your head, but to have others enterpret it completely differently. This is especially true on this medium, where inflection and facial expressions cannot be noticed. We try to use emoticons to get some of that across, but they only go so far.

To me, any sentence that goes "I am not doing X, but..." means that the person speaking it is doing exactly X, intentionally or not. When you said "the whole idea of someone splitting their team goes against the spirit (if not the letter) of the whole Sam's Club Series rules." in close proximity to to Harry and Benny, I read it as close to a condemnation of them as possible without actually condeming them.

I said in an earlier post that you made comments in reference to them that were less than flattering, and that you should have seen this as a potential outcome from those comments. Upon further review, I still find that comment less than flattering at best, antagonistic at worse. I'm not saying that you intended to do that, after all you claimed twice that you weren't accusing them, but you didn't follow it up with any compliments!

dmp

monty3777
02-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Right now, I'm not so inclined. The haters have won.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone,
Benny

Dude, why in the world would you let internet chatter by a bunch of folks you don't know influence your decisions? I think you are making a big mistake. Change the name of the team if that keeps folks off your back, but by all means don't let people push you around. Folk are entitled to their opinions, but you are also entitled to do your thing. If you back down now you will always regret it.
:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::b oxing::boxing::boxing:

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm about to go to bed, so whatever gets posted tonight after, and tomorow before I have a chance to catch up is beyond my control, but to Jeff and White Dog, I just went back and copied every post on the topic to a text file for posterity sake, and to review.

To be honest, I think both Jeff and White Dog have made comments in reference to Harry and Benney that were less than flattering. To believe that you didn't see this coming as a result is, difficult for me. If you really want me to post what you said, I'll do it, but I'm trying to retain some level of civility.

More imporatntly, the fact of the matter is that there have been two posters to this thread: One has left a lot of implication and inuendo, but has made it fairly clear that he does not like Harry Soo, going all the way back to October. The other has twice flat out called Harry Soo a cheater. To imply that these two individuals were not trying to be just as cutting and flat out disrespectful as they were is an insult to my inteligence. I won't call them out by name, because it should be blatantly obvious to any one who reads this thread starting from about page 22 who the two are.

I have just had enough of it. Speak your mind or get off your high horse. Most of you don't like me, but at least I'm honest about who I am.

dmp

Spare me the crap, man. This person got caught in the whole Jack mess and you don't want someone to say he failed to play by the rules? And then there is questionable attempts to circumvent the rules of the Sam's Club series. Not questionable? Then why change a name mid-stream? Because they were caught. And no member of that team will just give White Dog the answer he's looking for... and that's that Harry won't show up to cook with Benny should he advance. The silence there says something.

Your last comment above is a little strange if you ask me. You tell people (presumably myself and a couple of others) to speak our minds or get off our high horse. Yet I'm doing just that and I'm being criticized? Dude, at least *I* am honest about who *I* am (to borrow a phrase from you). Whatever happened to barbecue being a sport where the competitors did the right thing? I don't HATE anyone and what *I'M* sick of (I guess we all have a right to be sick of something) is as soon as someone questions the actions of another, some high and mighty people start tossing out the term "haters". If this is all that makes me a "hater", then I guess I am.

Jeff_in_KC
02-11-2011, 08:24 AM
It's really easy to say something, intending on it coming across a certain way as you say it in your head, but to have others enterpret it completely differently. This is especially true on this medium, where inflection and facial expressions cannot be noticed. We try to use emoticons to get some of that across, but they only go so far.

To me, any sentence that goes "I am not doing X, but..." means that the person speaking it is doing exactly X, intentionally or not. When you said "the whole idea of someone splitting their team goes against the spirit (if not the letter) of the whole Sam's Club Series rules." in close proximity to to Harry and Benny, I read it as close to a condemnation of them as possible without actually condeming them.

I said in an earlier post that you made comments in reference to them that were less than flattering, and that you should have seen this as a potential outcome from those comments. Upon further review, I still find that comment less than flattering at best, antagonistic at worse. I'm not saying that you intended to do that, after all you claimed twice that you weren't accusing them, but you didn't follow it up with any compliments!

dmp

And you failed to follow this all up with "IMO"... because really that's all it is, an opinion.

dmprantz
02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Spare me the crap, man. This person got caught in the whole Jack mess and you don't want someone to say he failed to play by the rules? And then there is questionable attempts to circumvent the rules of the Sam's Club series. Not questionable? Then why change a name mid-stream? Because they were caught. And no member of that team will just give White Dog the answer he's looking for... and that's that Harry won't show up to cook with Benny should he advance. The silence there says something.

Your last comment above is a little strange if you ask me. You tell people (presumably myself and a couple of others) to speak our minds or get off our high horse. Yet I'm doing just that and I'm being criticized? Dude, at least *I* am honest about who *I* am (to borrow a phrase from you). Whatever happened to barbecue being a sport where the competitors did the right thing? I don't HATE anyone and what *I'M* sick of (I guess we all have a right to be sick of something) is as soon as someone questions the actions of another, some high and mighty people start tossing out the term "haters". If this is all that makes me a "hater", then I guess I am.

Jeff, I have no problem with you saying anything that you have said in this thread. I think you've been honest and spoken your mind, even though it's been insulting to others. The people I say should get off their high horse are the ones who who don't speak their mind. They leave veiled comments but never come out and say it. You are allowed to your opinion, and that's fine, but to then say "oh, I didn't want you to quit or to hurt your feelings" is insulting to me. Did you really not think you were saying things that were mean?

I've tried to leave The Jack thing out of this, but some people just won't let it go. I'm an outsider to it, in that I live close to Lynchburg, but had nothing to do with the comp in question or the selection process....I still don't know what the issue was with the Jack because Jack Daniels invited them. They posted the invitation letter on the website. Does some one think that they called Debbie and got the invitation sent by themselves? What's more, I still don't see how it is ICBA's business to dictate to JD what to consider a qualifier....but I'm digressing, because that's in the past. We're talking about Sam's Club here.

dmp

dmprantz
02-11-2011, 08:53 AM
And you failed to follow this all up with "IMO"... because really that's all it is, an opinion.

Really? We're going to turn this into the grammar police? Has the conversaion degerated that far? If you calmly read that post again, you'll see the phrases "To me," "I read it as," and "I still find that." I was actually pretty careful to not state any of that as fact, but rather how it came across to me, and thus my opinion. I apologize for not actually using the word "opinion" or an abbreviation thereof in the post, but it was most definitely my enterpretation.

dmp

Dan - 3eyzbbq
02-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Who made you the internet police?

Snitches get stitches.

Hey MODS

Really? This is cool?

Big Poppa
02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
What is happening here?.....wow What happened to peace love and bbq?.... a good friend reminded me of this morning.

Benny entered and so did Harry. Perfectly legal. Jump in their stuff and call them cheaters if Benny wins as Funtime and Harry doesnt win as SYD and proceeds to join Funtime....Then you can call them whatever you want. In the meantime I think that this has gotten awfully accusatory and venomous....

BBQchef33
02-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Ladies, Gentlemen, all in between.

When i left for business travel on tuesday, this was a roster of whos going where. Holy chit, did this degrade.

I always encourage the free flow of information here and try to allow folks to voice their opinions freely without getting modded, but with the tone the thread has taken civility is about to be thrown out the window. Theres alot of conjecture and mudd slinging going on and optionions from both sides have been expressed.

I think its in our best interest if we just try to calm it down a little and let the powers that be(KCBS) sort out the situation, otherwise, its just turning into a dogpile here.

I see that folks are just chattering about interpretations of the ruleset and I hate to squash the conversation, so PLEASE keep it civil, FACTUAL and non accusatory.

ThomEmery
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
There ya go thanks Phil
The thread is off Target
when is should be on Sams
:) did ya get it :)
ok it aint that funny I know

Mrs. McFrankenboo
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I still don't know what the issue was with the Jack because Jack Daniels invited them. They posted the invitation letter on the website. Does some one think that they called Debbie and got the invitation sent by themselves? What's more, I still don't see how it is ICBA's business to dictate to JD what to consider a qualifier....but I'm digressing, because that's in the past. We're talking about Sam's Club here.

dmp

If you go back and read the other thread on this, you will see that it wasn't just that The Jack sent them a letter, it was pretenses under which they received it. Besides that though, IBCA doesn't dictate what The Jack considers a qualifier. The Jack has rules as to what is deemed a qualifier and all sanctioning bodies, including IBCA, know what they are. IBCA had every right to say whether or not THEIR event was a qualifier and they stated, before The Jack deadline, that it was NOT a qualifier.

Back on point, we'll be in Gilbert, AZ at the beginning of April and hoping the temps haven't reached 100 degrees yet!

BBQchef33
02-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Hey MODS

Really? This is cool?

on it..

happened while i was typing.

roksmith
02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
There ya go thanks Phil
The thread is off Target
when is should be on Sams
:) did ya get it :)
ok it aint that funny I know

It was at least a little funny Thom. :-D

Plowboy
02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
If you go back and read the other thread on this, you will see that it wasn't just that The Jack sent them a letter, it was pretenses under which they received it. Besides that though, IBCA doesn't dictate what The Jack considers a qualifier. The Jack has rules as to what is deemed a qualifier and all sanctioning bodies, including IBCA, know what they are. IBCA had every right to say whether or not THEIR event was a qualifier and they stated, before The Jack deadline, that it was NOT a qualifier.

Back on point, we'll be in Gilbert, AZ at the beginning of April and hoping the temps haven't reached 100 degrees yet!

Good luck to you guys. That is one tough crowd, McFrankenboo included in that statement. Give em hell.

BBQchef33
02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
AND THE TOPIC IS

SAMS CLUB INVITATIONAL

(Not SYD, SYDII, The Jack, ROYAL, or next food network star)

:becky: get the hint?

ique
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi All,
Right now, I'm not so inclined. The haters have won.

Best wishes and good luck to everyone,
Benny

Benny, if you are on the high ground, you should stay there and cook the contest, hope you do.

I have more to say but will respect Phils post and move on.

Arlin_MacRae
02-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Some people just don't get it.
Thread locked.

BBQchef33
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
gone for and hour and the mods had to scrub more BS. WTF..

For those that ignored my post, keep in mind, the mods will always have the last word.

BBQchef33
02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Heres what i am going to do. I am RESTARTING this thread later tonight when i get time to clean it. It will be scrubbed of all the mudslinging and COPIED TO A FRESH THREAD. We will have the roster, the chatter during signups, etc. It will be VOID OF ALL THE BS.

This Series is a national Championship Series and deserves discussion, planning, and smack talk just as we do for the Royal, Jack and GAB.

Unless you had someone waiting on a second phone to bid your spot while their dog soiled the carpet, all issues previously discussed regarding sign up tactics and or motives are over.

Anyone going there will be dealt with thru the Admin Control panel.