PDA

View Full Version : Vegan BBQ...

JD McGee
01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Yep...that's what it says...:tsk: Sooo...I've been asked if I offer any "Vegan" choices on my menu...my first thought was ...ummm...no...it's BBQ. But then the dude on my other shoulder (the one without the horns) was thinking...hmmm...this is Seattle...this is Wine Country Q...there are a lot of Vegans up here...I am catering to a more health conscience clientèle (for the most part)...what the hec! :becky:

I'm hoping to hear from some of you more experienced folks who may deal with this all the time. For now I'm thinking smoked nuts, cheeses, grilled portabella mushrooms, grilled fruits and veggies...am I missing anything?

Cheers! :cool:

JD

Dr_KY
01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Nope I think you are right on track just see to it that you have a grill/ smoker dedicated to vegan food only and believe me they will ask. The problem is although vegans often complain that attending a BBQ is not for them as they are not taken into consideration tends to keep the numbers low.

It may be an idea to actually join one of their local forums and present the ideal to them about vending/supporting one of their events. Could be a great money maker and I think they would buy from you simply as though they see it as another notch i the vegan belt. What's there to loose?

Veganism

Vegans eat all sorts of plant foods - fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, seeds, fungi - and avoid foods made from dead or living animals - meat, eggs, milk, milk derivatives such as cheese and yogurt, or honey. Someone who has not encountered veganism before will ask, ‘Well, what DO you eat?’ The only non-animal foods a meat-eater tends to come across are the vegetables that accompany their meals. However, there is a wide variety of vegan foods with a diversity of flavours and textures. The important point to grasp is that going vegan is not just taking vegetarianism a step further. Going vegetarian tends to involve simply removing meat from the diet and abstaining from products that contain slaughterhouse products. Becoming a vegan, on the other hand, is a very different process where one adopts a whole new cuisine and which touches every area of life.

Check out this site for some information and recipes.. http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/ I have referred to it when there were vegans attending weddings we have catered.

Oh one more thing..DON'T be flying a banner or sporting a cap and T-shirt with animals on it. lol

JD McGee
01-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Cool beans...thanks Doc! :-P

landarc
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
There is no such thing as Vegan slow smoked meats cooked over a live fire, for a long time, until tender :crazy::laugh:

Sorry, had to do that. The important thing is that Vegans do not use any meat products at all. Dr. KY is also correct that most Vegans will not eat any food cooked on a cooking device that also cooked meat, eggs or dairy. I consider making good vegan food to be one of the toughest challenges there is.

I like to use nut butters and nut flours for building body and texture in food. Almond and hazelnut mostly. Many of the Vegans I know also believe they cannot eat gluten.

I will tend to sweeten with agave nectar and maple syrup for additional flavor.

Grains and seeds such as beans, quinoa, barley and bulghur will be your friends for salads.

For grilling, mushrooms, eggplant and zuchinni are the defacto standard for grilling without meat. If you want to wow folks, I really recommend you try making your own veggie burgers, they can be incredible. Also, leave your preconceptions behind and seek out quality fresh tofu, use it like you would chicken in terms of marinades and smoking, you will find it can be really good.

Look to Asian flavor profiles, as these cultures have long traditions of Vegan or Vegetarian diets and the flavors have been developed for that use.

nthole
01-30-2011, 03:35 PM
I've done the stuffed 'turds' vegan, smoked mushrooms a bit chopped them and mixed them with tapenade and then stuffed the peppers with that. No bacon wrapping just brushed with some oil for moisture. The folks that ate them loved them.

I used the mini bell peppers by the way, not the jalapenos.

BBQ Grail
01-30-2011, 04:04 PM
May I suggest:

"The New Vegetarian Grill" by Andrea Chesman

landarc
01-30-2011, 04:29 PM
There is a recipe out there for vegan BBQ ribs, they are surprisingly tasty, although not really like ribs.

ThomEmery
01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
We have a Southwest Salad that vegans love
I also have a grilled boneless skinless thigh that
we can add to it for meat eaters

Our last couple of Friday Night Dates have been to
http://www.nativefoods.com/
a vegan place in Palm Desert
The Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger is GREAT
and vegan

BBQ Grail
01-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I think the biggest thing you'll have to remember is for most hardcore vegans you're going to have to have grills and other cooking utensils that have never been used to cook meat on.

ThomEmery
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Yes that is right, separate

txschutte
01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I think the biggest thing you'll have to remember is for most hardcore vegans you're going to have to have grills and other cooking utensils that have never been used to cook meat on.

If the event were large enough, and the potential for profit is there, wouldn't this warrant the purchase of a couple spanking new 22 1/2" OTS's?:thumb:

JD McGee
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
If the event were large enough, and the potential for profit is there, wouldn't this warrant the purchase of a couple spanking new 22 1/2" OTS's?:thumb:

Any excuse for a new toy! :becky: This is for a church event that will "include" Vegans...perhaps 75-100 people...I think I can squeeze out enough profit for a dedicated grill...I might even spring for a gold...:thumb:

big brother smoke
01-30-2011, 08:18 PM
High heat Smoked Firm Tofu with a raspberry chipotle sauce.

BBQ Grail
01-30-2011, 08:20 PM

Duh!

jagardn
01-30-2011, 10:55 PM
My wife is a vegan, I took her to Candle 79 in Manhattan a few months ago and I was surprised how good the food was. The best was the appetizer, grilled seitan with chimichuri sauce. Here is a link to a similar recipe, I personally haven't tried it though.
http://www.madhavasagave.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?RecipeID=4

nthole
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Just out of curiosity, would it not be acceptable if the grates were run through say a cleaning cycle in an oven and then washed afterwards, which should put them back pretty much to their original state? By the above logic, are you saying that you can't use an oven that has had meat cooked in it, or is it just that meat HAS touched the grate. So in that theory, pots, spoons, etc, even if cleaned and sanitized can't be used?

Just wondering, not roughing up any feathers. Regardless, glad I live in the Midwest where we don't have much of this! Would drive me crazy. No wonder everything is more expensive where the crazies live!!! :wink:

landarc
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Nthole, it would not be good enough for some. It comes down to how specific the vegan you are dealing with. There are some that are absolute that they can be no possible comingling with animal products. Most are not that bad, many will even suffer through a meat centric meal politely. But there are a few who will fuss.

teesquare
01-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Any excuse for a new toy! :becky: This is for a church event that will "include" Vegans...perhaps 75-100 people...I think I can squeeze out enough profit for a dedicated grill...I might even spring for a gold...:thumb:

Vegans...church group....SO - uh who is the Pope of Veganism these days? I am a little out of touch....:laugh: You folks on the Left coast have some "different" philosophies than we hill-billies in the Southeast are familiar with.

But, from deductive reasoning, I thought beef *is* a vegatable....If "you are what you eat" applies, then - it follows:

Cow eats grass, grain and hay - all vegatable, so - cow = vegatable!:becky:
Good Luck on the cook - it sounds like a challenge - but a good learning experience too.

T

expatpig
01-31-2011, 02:22 PM
You'r not even allowed to look at a picture of meat while cooking vegan.

Brewer
02-01-2011, 12:28 AM
I feel for you - most BBQ caterers would have thrown down the gauntlet and never given this a second thought. Your a good man JD - who knows, you may even convert a few vegans into carnivores in the process :-D

Diva Q
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Tamarind Glazed tofu is really nice on the grill.
http://www.poopiebitch.com/2009/04/tamarind-orange-glazed-tofu.html

just make sure to get the firm pressed tofu.

OSU725
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Yep...that's what it says...:tsk: Sooo...I've been asked if I offer any "Vegan" choices on my menu...my first thought was ...ummm...no...it's BBQ. But then the dude on my other shoulder (the one without the horns) was thinking...hmmm...this is Seattle...this is Wine Country Q...there are a lot of Vegans up here...I am catering to a more health conscience clientèle (for the most part)...what the hec! :becky:

I'm hoping to hear from some of you more experienced folks who may deal with this all the time. For now I'm thinking smoked nuts, cheeses, grilled portabella mushrooms, grilled fruits and veggies...am I missing anything?

Cheers! :cool:

JD

Do keep in mind that vegans and vegetatrians and totally different; vegans do not eat any animal product so that would include cheese, milk, eggs, butter and so on. I am sure there are vegan cheese, milk, and butter type products but you would probably have to search them out.

smoke it if ya got it
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I cooked for some vegans last summer, Garden Burgers and fried taters with Salad on the side. They all loved it untill I mentioned the spuds were fried in Bacon grease. Only thing is the spuds were the hit of the meal, since then I've got them to try my Pork Butt and am happy to report 2 vegans converted to meat eaters. One of them hadnt eaten meat for 7 years so I feel great about bringing them back to the light!
:-D

BBQ PD
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
There is no such thing as Vegan slow smoked meats cooked over a live fire, for a long time, until tender :crazy::laugh:

You mean I can't take one of those Vegan's who gets so upset when I don't provide Vegan BBQ and stuff him in my smoker over low and slow until tender?

AndyDuncan
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM
You mean I can't take one of those Vegan's who gets so upset when I don't provide Vegan BBQ and stuff him in my smoker over low and slow until tender?

Grass fed, but too lean.

landarc
02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Maaaybe in Livermore.

JD McGee
02-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the tips folks...I'll be adding a "Vegan BBQ" menu to my catering menu shortly...first I gotta try out some of those recipes! :thumb: I'll probably add a new WSM and Kettle Grill to my arsenal as "dedicated" equipment...depends on the local demand. :cool:

Brewer
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Now that I think about it... not sure I know any vegans in unincorporated king county - you may have to go downtown to find demand. :heh:

Maddog's
02-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Tapenade...bean curd...lentils...artichoke...mushroom...eggplant.. .parsnips...collard greens...seaweed...lotus root...beets...

Oh, I could go on for hours. Such a pleasure listing foodstuffs you'll NEVER find in my shopping cart. (No, I don't eat mushrooms.)

Protein has found it's place and that's at my house! How else can I maintain this boyish pear-shaped figure of mine? Sure as hell not by eating the stuff off that list!

JD - best of luck catering to the V-gans. To each their daily...tofu.
You do marvelously with smoke and meat, my friend! You'll probably do just as well with that V stuff, too. No doubt.

However, I'll stubbornly remember the motto of Maddog's BBQ...

ThomEmery
02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Picked up a gig this week because I offer both
his words "real BBQ" and
her words "something for vegetarians like me"

chad
02-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Think Kosher vegetarian and you'll do OK. :-D

I'm just curious where some get the idea they can't eat gluten? Sorry, that's just getting on the "fad" train. Do a little research and you'll find the number of people allergic to gluten to be almost non-existent and mostly kids.

Anyway, you did say you're in the Seattle area and vegan/vegetarian is definitely part of the demographice...good luck and I hope you open up a great new part of business.

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Just added this to our menu...we'll see what happens...:becky:

~For Our Vegan Friends~

We haven't forgotten about you... I can only imagine what it would be like to be invited to a BBQ (or for that matter...inviting your Vegan friends to your BBQ) only to find out there is nothing for you or them to eat...

Wine Country Q offers an assortment of Vegan dishes from smoked nuts and cheeses to grilled fruits and vegetables...all prepared on dedicated grills and smokers. (market price)

ThomEmery
02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
That works
Your green salad and beans can do double duty as you already know :)

zydecopaws
02-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Just added this to our menu...we'll see what happens...:becky:

~For Our Vegan Friends~

We haven't forgotten about you... I can only imagine what it would be like to be invited to a BBQ (or for that matter...inviting your Vegan friends to your BBQ) only to find out there is nothing for you or them to eat...

Wine Country Q offers an assortment of Vegan dishes from smoked nuts and cheeses to grilled fruits and vegetables...all prepared on dedicated grills and smokers. (market price)

One problem JD; from what I understand Vegans don't eat any product that comes from an animal. This includes all dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc.), eggs, or even honey (I know, when did bees become an animal?). If you changed this to read Vegetarian instead of Vegan, your target market just got larger, and you can still tell the Vegans that you have Vegetarian dishes that are Vegan along with those that are simply meatless.

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 02:02 PM
That works
Your green salad and beans can do double duty as you already know :)

Well...not exactly...I put a pound of pulled pork in my beans...:becky: But the coleslaw could work...:thumb:

Gore
02-05-2011, 02:02 PM
That's correct. I think you might say "vegan and vegetarian" dishes. Vegan and vegetarian are different. Vegan is extremely restrictive. You cannot have vegan cheese unless it's made of soy, for instance. Anything made with an animal product is bad. I once listened in awe about a vegan who would not eat vegetables that came from plants that had been pollinated by bees. :crazy:

I have a friend who did a wonderful business at an Italian deli. She also made some vegan dishes that were outstanding. Her secret was to add beef broth for flavoring. She never did understand that this was wrong, but she had a reputation for the best vegan food in the city.

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
One problem JD; from what I understand Vegans don't eat any product that comes from an animal. This includes all dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc.), eggs, or even honey (I know, when did bees become an animal?). If you changed this to read Vegetarian instead of Vegan, your target market just got larger, and you can still tell the Vegans that you have Vegetarian dishes that are Vegan along with those that are simply meatless.

Done...thanks! :thumb:

~For Our Vegetarian Friends~

We haven't forgotten about you... I can only imagine what it would be like to be invited to a BBQ (or for that matter...inviting your Vegetarian friends to your BBQ) only to find out there is nothing for you or them to eat...

Wine Country Q offers an assortment of Vegetarian dishes from smoked nuts and cheeses to grilled fruits and vegetables...all prepared on dedicated grills and smokers. (market price)

jestridge
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
7th day advent church have some good vegan recipes , I went to one of their cooking class once had some very good recipes, also lentils make a very good meat substitute

ThomEmery
02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
We do both vegetarian and Bacon loaded BBQ Beans

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 07:32 PM

Cool...I'm gonna have to pick your brain next month Thom! :thumb:

ThomEmery
02-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I usually just pick my nose

JD McGee
02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I usually just pick my nose

On second thought...:twisted:

LostNation
02-06-2011, 05:34 AM

The beans I typically cook are loaded with sausage. Could you share your vegetarian bean recipe. I need to cook some for 220 for a wedding in June. My vegetarian recipe uses dried beans and I'm having trouble ramping them up for 220. Thanks

ThomEmery
02-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I am not cooking beans from scratch
LOL you will probably be very disappointed by this
We use canned beans vegetarian or pork n beans
the only difference is the bacon is in one and not the other
We add LOTS of bacon LOTS
Smoke cooked, Brown Sugar, diced and butter fried onions, bell peppers all colors
BBQ sauce, ketchup, lil mustard, sometimes diced canned peaches make their way in
measurements are a lil of this and a lot o that...... to taste

This is NOT a weight watchers recipe
add a hearty green salad and good bread

Jerk Pit Master
02-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I offer wood-grilled jerk and curry tofu, mushrooms and veggies as vegan entrees. Keep in mind that mushrooms are vegan but not vegetarian, so in some ways it is less restrictive when talking about entrees.

Most of my sides are vegan also, so vegans won't go hungry at events I cater, even if no special arrangements have been made. Even when special arrangements have been made, the meat eaters love the mushrooms and the vegans may get noe if not carefully controlled.

trekmstr
02-12-2011, 09:22 AM
ok, I'm confused, my wife says it's my normal state.:shock: how can mushrooms be vegan but not vegetarian???:confused:

HBMTN
02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I am by no means an expert on it but I have found there are many different types of vegetarians. Some eat fish and chicken, some eat only healthy things and others will line on bad carbs. I have done a few things where there were vegans there and I have a few friend who are vegan and gave me the idea of marinated vegetable skewers. I will put a rub on the and grill or smoke them and some I add a BBQ sauce and let the sauce set. So far the feed back has been great.

Jerk Pit Master
02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
ok, I'm confused, my wife says it's my normal state.:shock: how can mushrooms be vegan but not vegetarian???:confused:

As the Rastaman at the catered event told me "Dat a no vegetable, dat a fungus. I Mon don't eat no fungus." For him vegetarian means fruits and veggies only.

NorthwestBBQ
02-21-2011, 08:03 PM

The difference between a vegan and a vegetarian is that vegans eliminate all animal products from their diet, including dairy and eggs. Those following a vegan lifestyle generally do not wear leather and avoid products made from animals such as wool, silk and down. Vegans' tremendous compassion for animals is an abiding, overriding conviction in their lives.

Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish or poultry but they tend to consume dairy products and eggs. Lacto-vegetarians consume dairy products but not eggs, ovo-vegetarians eat eggs but not dairy products and lacto-ovo-vegetarians eat eggs as well as dairy products. Vegetarians also do not eat products that contain gelatine or other meat-based products.

The vegan point of view is that animals are not here to be exploited by man, and that commercialization of animals necessarily involves a fundamental, inhumane component and lack of respect for basic life.

From a nutrition point of view, the only difference is that vegans need to take a B12 and amino acid supplement, since they have no dietary source of these nutrients. You can get all the nutrients you need on a lacto-ovo (eggs and milk) vegetarian diet without supplements.

They both eat mushrooms. :-D