PDA

View Full Version : Does Size Matter, or is it all how you use your meat?

CBQ
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
SRF used to sell just one product called Wagyu Brisket. Recently that changed into three different products:

Under 14 pounds
14-17 pounds
Over 17 pounds

The under 14 pounds description reads "Hand selected for size and consistency specifically for professional barbecuers."

Is there an advantage or disadvantage in using larger or smaller packer cuts?

I have always leaned toward using the larger cuts for competition. Is there a real reason to use the smaller cuts, or is this an output of the SRF marketing machine? ("What do we do with these tiny briskets? Hey, maybe those BBQ freaks will buy 'em!")

Given that SRF is also selling 4 pound pork collars as good for competition BBQ, perhaps their web site is not the best source of BBQ information. :-P

If you get out your calculator ("Math is hard!") you will also see that the per pound pricing is now higher for the larger cuts. I sort of suspect it's just a poorly concealed price increase. Thoughts?

JD McGee
01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Hmmm...interesting...this from SRF website...

BBQ Collection (http://store.snakeriverfarms.com/competitive-bbq-collection/)
The sport of competitive barbecue is rapidly growing in popularity across America. From regional circuits to national invitationals, SNAKE RIVER FARMS products have become well-known staples for achieving success with the most critical judges. Competitive teams spend countless hours perfecting their signature recipes and SNAKE RIVER FARMS products are relied upon for their consistency, flavor, juiciness, and incredible marbling.

boogiesnap
01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
from what i understand, the larger the brisket, the older the animal, i.e. tougher meat.

however, an 8# brisket might not have enough meat for you to be able to select a superb 6-10 slices for a comp.

sitnfat
01-27-2011, 08:03 AM
I use a 10 pounder and 14 pounder both from wal mart or my local grocery they come from the same company

Ford
01-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Bigger is often better. And least that what I heard in class.

Size is not always a result of age. Different breeds grow to different heights and weights and shapes.

boogiesnap
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
gotcha.

thanks ford.

either way, i try not go under say 10#'s or over say 15#'s to keep things within parameters where i can be consistent.

beyond that tho, and more importantly, i look for flex, marbleing, grain, evenness of the flat, etc., etc.

oh and direction the point curves.