PDA

View Full Version : A BBQ Brethren Event/NY Battle of BBQ Brethren - Manorville 2011

Pages : [1] 2

trohrs123
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
trying to make our schedule for the upcoming season and was wondering if there is a date pick yet
?
thanks

boogiesnap
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
i was just doing the exact same thing and wondering also...

i got so far
lexington bbq battle 4/17
nj state champ. 7/10
troy pig out 7/17
hudson valley 8/21
norwalk oyster fest 9/11

BBQchef33
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Battle of the BBQ Brethren will be August 6 and 7. We will be on the calender this month.

big brother smoke
01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Looking forward to coming back. So far no gigs that weekend :clap2:

Frank Sacco
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Looking forward to coming back. So far no gigs that weekend :clap2:

Seriously??? Ugggh this time you musn't play with the purple people and grope their womens. :becky:

big brother smoke
01-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Seriously??? Ugggh this time you musn't play with the purple people and grope their womens. :becky:

Then they need to be warned of my arrival :twisted:

BBQchef33
01-24-2011, 10:51 PM
there may be an opening on my team. :)

Cue's Your Daddy
01-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Sacco's bringing the camaro, pulling the horse trailer, giving free pony rides. JUST SAYING.

big brother smoke
01-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Frank you using Pork Collars? :bolt: :behindsofa:

CBQ
01-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you Phil for not doing it the same week as Mainely :-D

BBQchef33
03-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Informed this afternoon: The Suffolk County P.A.L has decided to pull the venue. :mad2:

We are 13 weeks out.

Unless I can find another venue by April 6, this contest isn't happening.

I HAVE CALLS OUT LOCALLY AND HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET.

Nothing like advanced warning. I'm open to ideas.

bbqbull
03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
That has to be a huge dissapointment for sure.

BBQchef33
03-24-2011, 07:13 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/Strat3582/SwiftKickintheNuts.jpg

slowerlowerbbq
03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh wow, we were really looking forward to coming up to Long Island this year. Sorry to hear about this, I hope something comes through.

Smokin' Aces
03-24-2011, 09:30 PM
what the f !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anchors Smokeshop
03-24-2011, 09:33 PM
What a nightmare. Sorry to hear about this Phil. Hope you're able to put something together in this short amount of time.

MilitantSquatter
03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
That sucks...

Guess I'll be able to go away that weekend instead of coming out of retirement from comps to win the GC :wink:

BBQchef33
03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
what the f !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that about summed it up. Not much else i was able to say.

rookiedad
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
wow... sorry to hear about this. how about a winery like martha clara or macari or teaming up with a brewery like blue point and maybe getting something going at shorefront park in patchogue by the bandshell or maybe back at sayville for the summerfest.

BBQchef33
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
That sucks...

Guess I'll be able to go away that weekend instead of coming out of retirement from comps to win the GC :wink:

dont count on it.. If i have to be an organizer, scotts gonna need help competing. :becky:

timzcardz
03-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Informed this afternoon: The Suffolk County P.A.L has decided to pull the venue. :mad2:

We are 13 weeks out.

Unless I can find another venue by April 6, this contest isn't happening.

I HAVE CALLS OUT LOCALLY AND HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET.

Nothing like advanced warning. I'm open to ideas.

Phil,

Given the situation, as disappointing as it is, I KNOW that you are doing all that you can and want to say THANK YOU!

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

I am sure that you don't want everyone calling you while you are trying work this out, but If there is anything that you think I or anyone else may be able to do to help, just say the word.

timzcardz
03-25-2011, 08:51 AM
On a side note . . .

Why the hell is Poobah the one that we have to hear this from, and not P.A.L.?

They had no problem cashing my check on 03/10, and then just two weeks later bow out?

I respect and thank Phil for telling us as soon as he knew, but he does so much for us and BBQ that he shouldn't have to be the one stuck delivering the bad news that was not his doing.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.

Smokin' Aces
03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
You should try and put something together at Nassau Coliseum.... Nice and close to me hahahha

BBQchef33
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.

That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

BBQchef33
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Phil,

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

April 6th is the 90 day deadline by KCBS to change dates or venues and retain sanctioning.

If we loose sanctioning due to date change, and find a venue, we will go under BBQ Brethren rules (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/BillofRights.pdf) which have been approved by the American Royal for a Qualifer. I have not submitted them to The Jack yet.

BBQchef33
03-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

um.. no. But irrelevant.

They made alot of money Matt, a whooping $5,000 from the buck a bone fundraiser, and the money went to The PAL Special needs children and Autism. The total take was approx 10k, and the contest costs them 5K in supplies. The rest went to the kids. Sorry u felt screwed and they laughed all the way to the bank.

In a nutshell, Richie(the organizer) is as sick over this as I am and is he is also making calls on our behalf helping to find another venue. It was pulled by the P.A.L Board of Directors and the reasons given were all speculative. It was a shock to him too. Especially since he has already started his efforts to prepare and he had full commitment in January. The carpet was pulled out from under him too.

BTW, if it makes u feel any better, Im out almost grand in advertising and sanctioning fees spent so far. Its sux, but i rationalize it as the costs, and risks associated with a contest.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Whatever you say Phil. I am sure the money from the vendors there contributed no money to the profits. Ok, take 200 from the 1k I paid for my spot, there is your entrance fee, so that makes it $800 for the vending spot. I am glad they laughed to the bank, at least someone did. 5k for buck a bone, thats great considering the amount of people there. But I guess when it cost 10k (rough estimate) to make 5k it makes no sense to the PAL board.

BBQchef33
03-25-2011, 10:42 AM
well, they tried to explain to them.. alot of the costs were one shot investment. (the electrical distribution system and electrician was the bulk of the 5k costs) and now they own it so its not a factor... Same with water distribution. Tee shirts were recouped, etc..

They had major sponsors for this year, and the Long Island Custom Car show was coming down. They also had better commitment from the football, soccer and lacrosse folks to come down, who were expected to be there last year and did not show(that was the missing 10k estimate in the public). It was discovered after the event that they were never notified. That was a lesson learned and the entire PAL membership and support staff was in the mix this time.

This isnt the doing of the PAL support folks and those whop actually did the work. This was done by the suits in the board room. It doesnt seem to be about the money, but about the time invested by the PAL personal. The BOD feels the manpower can be better used elsewhere.

Smokin' Aces
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
can we move it back to sayville

biggs98
03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
can we move it back to sayville

I like that.!!!!Even though it rained every year it added to the character of that venue.

I thought Holtsville was Awesome and Rich was awesome to all the teams. It really sucks that good things have to be stopped for red tape BS.

Maybe having a Buck-A-Bone at Sayville would entice the COC to have it back. Is this even a option?????

speedrcer1
03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
First time I'm seeing the date. :cry:
Am I the only local Brethren who does Nascar?
That is Pocono race weekend.
Sorta like "I'll be at Dover".

EDIT: CRUD! So sorry to hear the PAL diss...

scm1226
03-25-2011, 10:08 PM
This blows!!!

CBQ
03-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Long Island...Rhode Island....hey, I know of an RI venue you could get, but too long for vendors and sponsors to go I suppose. Maybe we could charter a ferry :becky:

goodbuddiesbbq
03-26-2011, 06:41 PM
How about this...move it to Rhode Island...get the Jack Daniels folk to "recognize" it and I think the winner goes to the Jack. I do not know of another Rhode Island qualifier...is their one?

That would be awesome if another venue cannot work.

Oh yeah...Phil and Matt...round 4...let's get it on!!!

Smokenstein & monster crew
03-27-2011, 06:38 PM
THAT Stinks...Wow we really must of pissed off the groundskeeper :boxing:

Hey i hear Sayville is really nice, BBQ BRETHREN THE REUNION TOUR

03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Phil all your work is greatly appreicated
Now i know your crazy, just a lot of sh** to deal with
in every aspect of this game(dont know how you do it, the
why, i know...but questioned for your own sanity:crazy:

How about near a hospital, mather.st charles whatever
Bald hill ampithereater parking lot(throw some in live music)
allstate got some nice property off north ocean & a monstourous parking lot.....

Jacked UP BBQ
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Goodbuddies, we settled our differences and moved on. LIke two pissy school girls we started and ended it privately like men. I am happy to move on from this. We were both in pissy moods and may have over reacted.

BBQchef33
03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
sayville is out folks. They dont want to have a bbq contest in the festivals.

Bald Hill is way out of our league for rental fees. We really need to find a private venue that has an existing event going on, otherwise we are paying thru the nose.

tugbone
03-28-2011, 12:25 PM
What about tanger outlet lots of room there just a thought.

SmokeInDaEye
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
What about my driveway? I have room for two teams...mine and the RGC.

big brother smoke
03-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Damn, I am hoping something positive happens here. I obviously have lasting memories of this comp. I got to meet a lot of my East Coast Brethren!

BBQchef33
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
still working on it and have some VERY good prospects. Checked one out today. 5 acre patch of grass.. no electric or bathrooms, no gate but they have water.

they want $5000.00 a day. (yes, FIVE THOUSAND).

WTF

timzcardz
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
PHIL,

Check your PM inbox. I sent you something I think is worth considering, that may or may not be a solution.

timzcardz
03-29-2011, 10:38 AM
PHIL,

See my follow-up PM to you.

Westexbbq
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
still working on it and have some VERY good prospects. Checked one out today. 5 acre patch of grass.. no electric or bathrooms, no gate but they have water.

they want $5000.00 a day. (yes, FIVE THOUSAND).

WTF

You talking to Max Yasgur??????

Hope some of those other prospects turn out.
Let us know if we can assist.

timzcardz
03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
You talking to Max Yasgur??????

Wes, you're dating yourself again! :laugh:

03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I Pm(nd) an idea, guess she was NO good....

How about BBQ FOR BABIES, like Bikers for babies (dee snider from twisted sister does that on the island every year...get someone to donate some land time in the name of charity...... $5000 Could help alot of babies
Or clints driveway rocks, You got good electric ???

03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I dated myself for a year, we couldnt agree on anything
I had to break it off, was hurt & happy at the same time :heh:

CBQ
03-30-2011, 09:16 AM
How about this...move it to Rhode Island...get the Jack Daniels folk to "recognize" it and I think the winner goes to the Jack. I do not know of another Rhode Island qualifier...is their one?

There is not currently a RI contest, so a sanctioned event there would be a auto-qualifier for the Jack. It's probably only 50 miles from Long Island, but only if you swim. :becky: Otherwise it's a 3-4 hour drive from LI.

I sent Phil the details.

ique
03-30-2011, 09:43 AM

And schedule it for the last weekend of August. You'd get people signing up from all over the country looking for the last chance auto-bid

speedrcer1
03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Not like he mentioned 'Wavy Gravy"
That would be real old.
(wondering how many know who Wavy Gravy is?)

Westexbbq
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Last time I saw him was at Texas Pop with his tie-dyed dentures!

nosmo
03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
a few years ago (about 3-4 ish) the central islip street fair advertised a bbq contest, I went to see my first competition. there was none,also very few classic cars showed up.Maybe it was due to poor organizing , maybe they, the camber of commerce,would be willing to give it another go.if approached right.

BBQchef33
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I remember that fair. if its the one im thinking of, it was bad planning and lack or publicity that made it fall thru.

now, just to keep you folks updated on BotB.

i visited 4 individual venues this week and spoke with various forms of management. I am waiting on word from 3 of them, and the fourth, if it comes thru, will be our home for as long as we want. It will be our own event, with no dependencies except on ourselves. (A lesson learned from WillyB).

We will rent the area a few times a year and have our contests there. We are negotiating rates that will include water, power, and trash pickup. It will cost a few bucks to rent, but hopefully we can get enough sponsorship to cover a portion of those costs. If the ratres are reasonable, I will shoot for at least 2 events. Im no longer open to piggy backing on other events that can drop us at their whim. This will be ours. it will also let us return to a grilling contest on saturday. I have a load of plans for that, which was put on hold last year due to the required fundraiser for the host. Many places will exchange the fundraiser portion on their behalf for rental $$. The most drustraiting thing about finding venues is 'whats in it for me', even when we are renting and paying for the property. Next comes Board of Health, event insurance, and permits.

I will have a better idea on Monday. If for some reason all falls thru, we can always rent the same VFW that willie does for 2011 and that will give us more time to secure an independant venue for next year. So this contest WILL happen one way or another.

I'll keep you posted, and if you folks can cross your fingers, do a dance, say a prayer, do whatever it is you do to make chit happen..fell free to do it! Every little bit helps. :)

speedrcer1
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for your tireless efforts Phil!
:clap2:

(and I'll be in Pocono)

exhorns
04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Phil, Thanks for your tireless efforts to keep this contest alive. I know for a team like ours this contest is great. We don't do many contests so would hate losing it because it's close to home and a friendly atmosphere. Matt

04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a plans in place, & hopefully all the ducks line up.....
I was actually looking forward to clints driveway......
but an event, with no piggyback sounds like it has potential
to become something more of what you would like it to be anyway..:thumb:

on a side note : My logo just in, going to color (this thing is sweeeeeeet)
Smokenstein & The Monster Crew :clap2:

BBQchef33
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
WE ARE ON. Venue secured. :)

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

timzcardz
04-05-2011, 12:08 PM
And you made it in by the 04/06 sanctioning deadline!

GREAT JOB!

Looking forward to the details.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=BBQchef33;1601305]WE ARE ON. Venue secured. :)QUOTE]

That's all we get? I know there's value in keeping your audience in suspense, but damn Phil, give us something! A general vacinity perhaps? All kidding aside, awesome to hear that...glad things have been worked out and looking forward to it!

rbsnwngs
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=BBQchef33;1601305]WE ARE ON. Venue secured. :)QUOTE]

That's all we get? I know there's value in keeping your audience in suspense, but damn Phil, give us something! A general vacinity perhaps? All kidding aside, awesome to hear that...glad things have been worked out and looking forward to it!

its on long island

trohrs123
04-05-2011, 12:57 PM
is this still on for the august 6th and 7th?
i had sent my application and $300 to Suffolk County PAL
now what??!?!?!?

timzcardz
04-05-2011, 01:00 PM
is this still on for the august 6th and 7th?
i had sent my application and $300 to Suffolk County PAL
now what??!?!?!?

FYI, Phil has told me that PAL will be issuning refunds (I know that my check was cashed by PAL on 03/10).

I would assume that this would mean that new checks and applications will need to be submitted.

trohrs123
04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
FYI, Phil has told me that PAL will be issuning refunds (I know that my check was cashed by PAL on 03/10).

I would assume that this would mean that new checks and applications will need to be submitted.

mine was cashed on that date as well...thanks for the info

MikeR
04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Just saw a picture on facebook- looks like a nice venue if that's what the picture was of.:thumb:

BBQchef33
04-05-2011, 02:07 PM
yeah, thats the venue on FB. Its under 10 miles east of holtsville.

If i can get all the paperwork in order, im going tonight to get everything signed. If not, it will be tomorrow. KCBS is notified that we are NOT cancelled and its a go.

I will contact PAL to see if i can get the applications they ahve and transfer funds to our new host. Who BTW, wants nothing from us except to bring people to his business.

There are 2 other very strong venues that hopefully will make for additional contests.

I am going on a handshake and a beer right now, with all major details understood and agreed upon(power, water, Ice, sanitation, permits)

Once all paperwork is signed, I will make the official announcement. :bow: If anyone recognizes it, shhhhhhhhh.. till tonight.

This photo does not show the bar, the 40x40 judges tent, the deck, the bandroom, the concession or the other half of the open field. Its a small restaurant/bar that does big catering and it rated 4 stars by newsday. Wes and MasQue introduced us in January, but we tabled it till next year. I stopped by there today on a lark on the way back from riverhead, and they were still interested. The same dates were open(august 6-7), and after 90 minutes of talk, its a go.

Smokin J
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
It looks great! Thanks for not giving up! :clap2:

Westexbbq
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Good!

(Hope the date doesn't turn out to be around May 27th because that is Wavy Gravy's 75th Birthday Party!!)

BigBarry
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
"Oh, boy, is this great!"

Bob S
04-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Great news. Thanks Phil! :clap2:

SmokeInDaEye
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
That's Old Man Johnson's Farm! Crazy Old Coot kilt all them kids with a set of bbq tongs back in 72. I remember it well.

Smokin' Aces
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
thanks phil that is great news

Yakfishingfool
04-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Ummmm...anybody else seeing a couple of our more thristy team mates ending up in the pond for a midnight swim???

Anchors Smokeshop
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Congrats and special thanks to Phil for all of your hard work! :clap2:
Very excited that this event is back on! :thumb:

Mrs. Sawdust
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Nice venue Phil :)

BBQchef33
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice venue Phil :)

I figured you would like that.

BigBarry
04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Ummmm...anybody else seeing a couple of our more thristy team mates ending up in the pond for a midnight swim???

Bring your mini-yak and a pole!

timzcardz
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
The cat is out of the bag, so to speak.

The Battle is now in Manorville.

Address and updated appplications are on the site . . . http://www.bbqbattleli.com/

Poobah, Awaiting update for what those that have already submitted to PAL should do.

big brother smoke
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh yea! Time to start looking into tickets!

Cue's Your Daddy
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Is saturday still going to be people's choice ribs, or is that now changing?

Cue's Your Daddy
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Oh yea! Time to start looking into tickets!

Didnt you hear...No direct flights to Long Island. You have to fly into Ohio, 7 hour lay over for a flight to Philly. Then a Amtrak ride to New York. I wouldnt do it, but hey, its your call. Maybe Sacco can pick you up in the Camaro.

BBQchef33
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The cat is out of the bag, so to speak.

The Battle is now in Manorville.

Address and updated appplications are on the site . . . http://www.bbqbattleli.com/

Poobah, Awaiting update for what those that have already submitted to PAL should do.

Tattletale! :boxing::becky:

early mornin' smokin'
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Oh damn! Right down the road from my house!!!! This could not get any better, so looking forward to this comp!

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Anyone know anything about this contest? Any good?

MikeR
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

I've done it a couple of times- pretty good contest but this annoying guy with a video camera always seems to show up.

motoeric
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

I heard that the amenities are great. They're going to have gatorade for you at the turn-in tables after the Cantwell Last Second Mad Dash.

Eric

BBQchef33
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
WE HAVE to give credit where credit is due!!! As i stated in my post above, Brian(MasQue) and Wes(Westex)discovered this venue last winter. We visited it in pitch dark and rain and spoke to the owners.

On the way back from visiting a venue out east with WillyB, I was heading to the country fairgrounds. I passed right by this place and decided to check it out in the daytime for chits and giggles. Well, The owners were right there, out front emptying supplies from the car and were looking at me like I was a stalker. I rolled down the windows and reintroduced myself. It was pure luck they remembered me....

We need to buy brian and wes a beer http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/beer.png for finding this place originally. They did a ton of work and laid all the ground work last winter, and I never followed up. Passing by yesterday at the right time was nothing but fate. Without them, I would still be hunting and starting from scratch .

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Awesome work guys. Round one at the VFW is on me next weekend assuming I can find a stamp to mail the app.

big brother smoke
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I booked a gig on the 4th. So, unless I can fly out Friday morning you Farkers may be saved, chit!

rbsnwngs
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Awesome work guys. Round one at the VFW is on me next weekend assuming I can find a stamp to mail the app.

i mailed you a stamp today

MAsQue
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
WE HAVE to give credit where credit is due!!! As i stated in my post above, Brian(MasQue) and Wes(Westex)discovered this venue last winter. We visited it in pitch dark and rain and spoke to the owners.

On the way back from visiting a venue out east with WillyB, I was heading to the country fairgrounds. I passed right by this place and decided to check it out in the daytime for chits and giggles. Well, The owners were right there, out front emptying supplies from the car and were looking at me like I was a stalker. I rolled down the windows and reintroduced myself. It was pure luck they remembered me....

We need to buy brian and wes a beer http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/beer.png for finding this place originally. They did a ton of work and laid all the ground work last winter, and I never followed up. Passing by yesterday at the right time was nothing but fate. Without them, I would still be hunting and starting from scratch .

Thanks for the acknowledgment, Phil. While it was disappointing that we could not pull something together for the original June date, it works out in the end since we can now "save" the Battle. This is a gorgeous location and I would really recommend that anyone who can possibly make the date be there. Grass, trees, pond, bar, pool table...what more could you ask for?

Brian

Mrs. Sawdust
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Wooooohooo....We are the home team!!!! Yippie!!!! ( Sorry...I'll try not to act to happy) :)

BBQchef33
04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Did I mention that there are bathrooms and showers available nearby.. and a pool.

Sawdust and Mrs Sawdust. Please send everyone your address.

:)

04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Place looks incredible....Is there a motorcycle bar on site ??
Thugs/vagrants in the bushes ? What gives ? This place is DisneyWorld ! Did you say pool ? Servants? Ash removal...pinch me pinch me

early mornin' smokin'
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
it's a local watering hole, frequented by bikers. Good place, nice bartenders, quick draw, 2 king kullen's within 5 miles, liquour store, bagel place, everything's close. Honestly great job guys.

rxcellentq
04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
looks great, sounds like where my dog went when I was little

Sawdustguy
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Place looks incredible....Is there a motorcycle bar on site ??
Thugs/vagrants in the bushes ? What gives ? This place is DisneyWorld ! Did you say pool ? Servants? Ash removal...pinch me pinch me

It is in fact a very friendly Biker Bar!!

Sawdustguy
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh damn! Right down the road from my house!!!! This could not get any better, so looking forward to this comp!

I betcha we are closer.....:thumb:

early mornin' smokin'
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
well, looks like the after party's at sawdust's!

Sawdustguy
04-07-2011, 02:29 PM
it's a local watering hole, frequented by bikers. Good place, nice bartenders, quick draw, 2 king kullen's within 5 miles, liquour store, bagel place, everything's close. Honestly great job guys.

To reiterate, within a mile there is a Starbucks, MacDonalds, King Cullen, 7-11, Bagel place, Chinese takeout, liquor store. It's easy to get to, it's LIE exit 70 make a left and it's an 1/2 of a mile on the left.

Some consider the maples to be the best biker bar in New York (The Maples (http://long-island.newsday.com/venues/the-maples-1.864744)).

Here is an Ariel Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+maples&fb=1&gl=us&hq=the+maples&hnear=Manorville,+NY&cid=0,0,10405701360629265637&ei=XQCeTdXUK4Tp0gGIppjPBA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QnwIwAw) from the LIE exit 70.

If you Ride a Motorcycle then there is probably a Bar you know of that is not real close yet not too far away. Its a place you go to when you only have one day off and want to reward yourself for a job well done. Something about this place makes it worth going those extra miles for a Burger and a Beer!

If you live in the Long Island, New York area then you have probably been to "The Maples" 10 Ryerson Ave in Manorville, If not with all the great routes you can ride to get there, sooner or later I'm sure you will find yourself parking your bike in front!

The Maples draws in every type of Rider, It does not matter what you Ride, how long you have been Riding or how often you chose to Ride! When you are at the Maples you are home!

At the Maples it feels as if time is not only standing still ,but you may feel as if you have traveled back in time a few years! Even though the Maples is only about a mile North of exit 70 off the LIE you will feel like the stress of your life is a Million miles away! Relaxing at the Maples is an easy thing to do.

Inside you can hang out at the main Bar, shoot a game of Pool or enjoy some of their great food in the large dinning area. Maybe you are more like me and after a nice Ride you enjoy relaxing out side.Well at the Maples you can relax on the huge side deck,Where if you are a fan of Trains you can enjoy the view of the Trains slowly rolling by as if out of a scene from a Norman Rockwell Painting!

Then there is the Huge back deck where there is a full service Bar, Jukebox, Pool table and more often then not a live band! Many Couples like to unwind over by the Perfectly landscaped Pond or walk around the huge backyard!

As the Maples is a Biker friendly bar you will find that many bike events are held there! After a trip to "the Maples" You will understand why many call it the Best Biker Bar in the Northeast and say that a day at the maples is more relaxing then a weekend trip upstate!

The Maples offers Long Islanders everything the Upstate Country Bars do, Well except maybe that Ride threw the City!

I will see you There !!! Your Bro LJ James AmericanBikerX.com

early mornin' smokin'
04-07-2011, 03:03 PM
don't forget a 24hr Mcdonalds, pizzeria with delivery all within a mile. And an Ace Hardware, Beer Distributor and 2 prime butcher's within 5 miles. Speaking of beer, since this contest is basically in a bars backyard, are there going to be any rules about bringing our own refreshments?

04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
I see red cups everywhere:shock::shock::shock:

Sawdustguy
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I forgot to add that it is easy to get to via the Bridgeport and Orient Point Ferries for any New England Teams that want to participate.

Directions from the Orient Point-New London Ferry: Google Maps Directions (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=41270+Main+Road,+Orient,+NY+11957-1131+(Cross+Sound+Ferry)&daddr=10+Ryerson+Avenue+Manorville,+NY&geocode=FRX8cwId_6ux-yFIpZrGBPcViCnV7uYZrKDoiTFQ0C3k3ku3NQ%3BFbKwbwIdHg mp-yn9OlXkHlzoiTHYi39HB60FFg&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=41.115546,-72.373834&sspn=0.712844,1.231842&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11)

Directions from the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson Ferry: Google Maps Directions (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=102+West+Broadway,+Port+Jefferson,+NY+11777+ (The+Bridgeport+%26+Port+Jefferson+Steamboat+Compa ny)&daddr=10+Ryerson+Avenue+Manorville,+NY&geocode=FbrOcAIdxgyl-yEjzT9E8FUk-A%3BFbKwbwIdHgmp-yn9OlXkHlzoiTHYi39HB60FFg&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=40.958163,-73.024622&sspn=0.714551,1.231842&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12)

BBQchef33
04-07-2011, 11:01 PM
We just secured the venue and have not had a full site survey yet. Although its a strong infrastructure, theres alot of catching up and scrambling to do to make up for the wasted time since january.

Details will all be available in due time.

SmokeInDaEye
04-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Exit 70????

early mornin' smokin'
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
yea clint, the expressway actually goes out that far

CBQ
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I forgot to add that it is easy to get to via the Bridgeport and Orient Point Ferries for any New England Teams that want to participate.

Has anyone done this in the past? Is it possible to make the Sunday night ferry? I suppose it's too early to ask what time the awards will be :-P

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
yea clint, the expressway actually goes out that far

Clint knows this all too well...he spent some time out there while trying to find the DEER PARK Tanger Outlets.

early mornin' smokin'
04-08-2011, 11:39 AM
there's an 830 and a 10 out of port jeff, and a 8pm out of orient. Manorville to orient is a hour and a half. Either one would be very doable

SmokeInDaEye
04-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Has anyone done this in the past? Is it possible to make the Sunday night ferry? I suppose it's too early to ask what time the awards will be :-P

No need to stick around for awards. I'm keeping them all.

Clint knows this all too well...he spent some time out there while trying to find the DEER PARK Tanger Outlets.

That really sucked! Who knew Long Island loved outlets so much?

motoeric
04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Manorville to orient is a hour and a half.

You mean it's an hour and a half hauling a trailer, right? I regularly get there in an hour and a half from exit 51.

Eric

early mornin' smokin'
04-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I live in wading river, and can make it to orient in an hour, but wouldn't risk it. We always leave hour and a half early, and you have to be at the ferry a half hour early or else they give away your spot.

Lakeside Smoker
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM

We have. The first two years in Sayville we took the ferry from New London. It's great way to do it.

-Mike

trohrs123
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
you can pull a trailer on the ferry?

early mornin' smokin'
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
yep, however they charge you by the foot

trohrs123
04-08-2011, 01:54 PM
might try that for comps in MA and New England instead through the city

Lakeside Smoker
04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Here's the one we used a few years ago:
https://www.longislandferry.com/default.aspx

Sawdustguy
04-08-2011, 02:58 PM
there's an 830 and a 10 out of port jeff, and a 8pm out of orient. Manorville to orient is a hour and a half. Either one would be very doable

Orient to Manorville is only 40 miles or 55 minutes via Sound Avenue. I drive it all the time for work and the some of the contests we have done in New England.

Sawdustguy
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Here's the one we used a few years ago:
https://www.longislandferry.com/default.aspx

Mike, that works! It lets out in New London. When we went to Harpoon we took the Port Jeff to Bridgeport then to 91 and straight up. We took the Cross Sound from Orient when we went to Merrimac for Rock n Ribfest.

deez20
04-08-2011, 05:39 PM
No need to stick around for awards. I'm keeping them all.

Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them. :-D

SmokeInDaEye
04-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them. :-D

Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.

BBQchef33
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
All the paperwork was signed today. So we are Officially

SmOKin aT ThE MaPLEs
10 Ryerson Ave
Manorville NY
:whoo::whoo::whoo:

Exit 70, Long Island Expressway. 1/2 mile north of the expressway.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtracksidebusiness/The%2520Maples%25209-5-06manorville.jpg&sa=X&ei=vIqfTb-4MtGhtwe8kImKAw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFEn6Xay_Cx-VC859jM6NAuxKRP7g

There is 4.5 acres of grass behind there. Patio, Tent, Full outdoor Bar, Etc. Its tagged as a friendly biker bar, but the catering area is for weddings and functions with a strong onsite infrastructure. This site is 8 miles from the holtsville site we had it at last year. We are KCBS Sanctioned and part of the Empire State BBQ Championship Points chase. I will see if we can get NEBS Sanctioning now since we are not tied to a fundraiser, so can now have a grilling event.

Being our The Maples is a BAR and Grill, and the owner is being VERY GRACIOUS, he asks that we encourage all competitors to limit the beer brought to the event and purchase tap beer at the beer trailer that will be IN THE VENUE AMONG THE TEAMS, or...... take a short stroll to the ajacent patio and sit at the outdoor bar, where the band will be playing and gaze out over the duckpond. While you monitor the pits with your remote thermometers. When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER.
:becky:

A stated, since we dont have to have a fundraiser, we will be having a Grilling event on Saturday. I will try to get NEBS Sanctioning. I am not sure if they have the 90 day restriction which we are inside of. WE will tie into a charity in some way and also, Island Harvest will be coming down on Sunday.

Teams will be allowed to vend, but will require your own Board of Health license permit is 85$. The vending fee will be $50 and you keep all profits. Let me know if your interested and I will forward the paperwork.

Spots will be preassigned and a lax 20x20. We have plenty of room. Premiums will be available at 30x30. Next week we will lay out the floor plan. Entry fees are $250 for BBQ, $50 For Grilling and $50 if you want a premium spot. BBQ and grilling fees will go to prize pool minus a small percentage strictly to offset some of the KCBS fees and infrastructure costs. We will be pursuing sponsorship.

The Port Jefferson/Bridgeport Ferry is 20-30 minutes from the site. The Orient Point to New London is about an hour to 1:15.

I take the Port Jefferson ferry to ALL contests in New England or upstate NY, (Even New Paltz). It knocks 90 miles off my trip. Ferry rates for trailers rates go by overall length of car and trailer. My truck and trailer combined is 44 foot and they always have room.

Our host will be creating an ID and visiting us soon.

CBQ
04-08-2011, 08:30 PM
When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER. :becky:

Now that's a contest objective we can all support :thumb:

CBQ
04-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Orient to Manorville is only 40 miles or 55 minutes via Sound Avenue. I drive it all the time for work and the some of the contests we have done in New England.

If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer :becky: but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.

Sawdustguy
04-08-2011, 09:07 PM
If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer :becky: but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.

The Port Jeff ferry and I think the Orient Point Ferry have Bars aboard. Relax, tip a few and leave the driving to them until you pull in to Long Island.

04-08-2011, 09:10 PM
The location sounds fantastic, the whole deal sounds great....
Will do on drinking beer..:thumb:

04-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Its back
Seems someones there already....

SmokeInDaEye
04-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Its back

That's awesome! Sacco is already there! In the words of a warlock I know, "duh, losing".

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
That is pretty awesome.

Sawdustguy
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.

You don't have to worry Clint, don't even bother. Besides, exit 70 is the end of the world for you. Stay home and rest. The home team Polocks are going to take it this year. We are after all, world famous in Manorville.

BBQchef33
04-08-2011, 11:41 PM
The ferry is an hour trip across the sound..and will shorten your trip by 50-90 miles. The ride from orient point is a nice drive thru wine country. the one from port jeff is a quick run donw 112 and then 10 minutes on the expressway. 20-30 mins with lights.

but id rather be sitting on the deck throwing frenchfries to the seagulls than sitting on I95 trying to get to the bridge.

rookiedad
04-09-2011, 10:21 AM
what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public

Westexbbq
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public

I have already told everybody I know, both of 'em, about this upcoming contest and of course we encourage folks to come out and enjoy themselves.

BBQchef33
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Its open to the public. We have to draw folks down there. So start the word of mouth advertising!

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably why the typing is worse than usual.

Mrs. Sawdust
04-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Its open to the public. We have to draw folks down there. So start the word of mouth advertising!

We will tell all of Manorville. My friends at the post office are pumped! Can we get some posters to place around. I can notify the chamber of commerce as well. Let me know.

butt head
04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
any hotels nearby, 3 hr drive for us

motoeric
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
There are definitely nearby hotels. I'll get links later tonight, but off the top of my head, there are a couple of the LIE (the major highway that the venue is 1/2 mile north of) that shouldn't be too far and there is one right near the terminus of the LIE a bit east of exit 72 (the venue is off exit 70).

I'll edit this tonight when I have time to get some links.

Eric

Frank Sacco
04-09-2011, 07:42 PM
How about a flyer that we can print off and hand out! Maybe a pdf file that can be added to the website (once up and running)?

Frank Sacco
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
any hotels nearby, 3 hr drive for us

Both Hotels are within a 10 minute drive.

Holiday Inn Express, Riverhead
1707 OLD COUNTRY ROAD (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions) RIVERHEAD, NEW YORK11901 (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions) (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions)
Hotel Front Desk: 631-548.1000 Hotel Fax: 631-548.1010

Hilton Garden Inn, Riverhead
2038 Old Country Rd, Riverhead, New York, USA 11901
Tel: 631-727-2733 Fax: 631-727-2744

(http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=ISPRHGI)

04-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Dont forget "The Sawdust Manor" Hear they have a great pool, not sure of the directions ???

rookiedad
04-09-2011, 09:06 PM
are there going to be any more attractions in conjunction with the contest like entertainment, outside vendors and what not?

biggs98
04-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Willie B is always good for some Sat night entertainment:laugh:

Sawdustguy
04-10-2011, 08:16 AM
For the Female Competitors the Tanger Outlet Center is about 4 or 5 miles east right where the expressway ends (exit 72).

04-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Vendors would be good...
Also that baking contest brought out a lot of people(girls), to the sayville event (which in turn brought guys/kids..)
Thats an easy people getter, everyone wants to prove they can outbake there neighbor, can you say flour covered catfight...

also, are they providing the bands? are they gonna play outside, or inside the bar....

& a nice charity would be cool (like smile train, march of dimes

whatever happens gonna be sweet

BigBarry
04-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Both Hotels are within a 10 minute drive.

Holiday Inn Express, Riverhead
1707 OLD COUNTRY ROAD (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions) RIVERHEAD, NEW YORK11901 (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions) (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/riverhead/rihed/hoteldetail/directions)
Hotel Front Desk: 631-548.1000 Hotel Fax: 631-548.1010

Hilton Garden Inn, Riverhead
2038 Old Country Rd, Riverhead, New York, USA 11901
Tel: 631-727-2733 Fax: 631-727-2744

(http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=ISPRHGI)

There are some VERY seedy motels in Riverhead so those two are about all that are safe.

There are also more on/near the LIE:

Comfort Inn
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=9264584069362719794&q=hotel&hl=en&cd=6&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=W-ShTYqKB4HsyQXJkbSZCQ&dtab=2

Springhill Suites by Marriott
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=9483695255672504333&q=hotel&hl=en&cd=4&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=2uOhTcPdMJLwyAWbnPXMDQ&dtab=2

Fairfield Inn
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=4514166258654066865&q=hotel&hl=en&cd=5&cad=src:ppiwlink&ei=W-ShTYqKB4HsyQXJkbSZCQ&dtab=2

Sawdustguy
04-10-2011, 01:52 PM
There are some VERY seedy motels in Riverhead so those two are about all that are safe.

Greg,

Don't forget that the Hotel Indigo East End in Riverhead is also very safe and nice. It's relatively new and it's just a tad more upscale than the Holiday Inn Express or the Hilton but I am not sure of the prices.

http://www.indigoeastend.com/

http://www.indigoeastend.com/templates/indigo_eastend/images/slider/lobby_slide.jpg

Sawdustguy
04-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Dont forget "The Sawdust Manor" Hear they have a great pool, not sure of the directions ???

Ahhhhhhh......The Polocks Secret Headquarters....:icon_shy:tape:

04-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Ahhhhhhh......The Polocks Secret Headquarters....:icon_shy:tape:

Where all the good stuff happens

Sawdustguy
04-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Where all the good stuff happens

We are considering opening up the pool for people to take a dip after the contest but we will have to bribe our two Labradors, Jack and Cooper. They think the pool was put in the ground just for them.

http://www.blackdogbrewery.us/images/cooper.jpg

http://www.blackdogbrewery.us/images/cooper1.jpg

This is Cooper. He has a life vest on because he will stay in the pool and swim to the point of exhaustion. We added the vest because he almost drown himself last year after going for 2 hours straight. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Pelkster
04-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Not like he mentioned 'Wavy Gravy"
That would be real old.
(wondering how many know who Wavy Gravy is?)

Definitely not from that era, but I know who he is. Toss in a Ken Kesey.

BBQchef33
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
ok. Lets get Rolling folks!

You can sign-up for the contest online using paypal or credit card. You still need to mail in the signed consent form. Pay structure for KCBS contest will be ALL entry fees, minus a small percentage for KCBS fees.

A few things. NEBS GRILLING ON SATURDAY.

1 - The Grilling rules will be announced shortly, but here is a prelude. Specific rules will be posted here and on the contest website.

It is a NEBS Sanctioned Grilling contest.

Catagorys are

1 - Appetizer
2 - Chefs Choice 1
3 - Chefs Choice 2 <--That is Not a Typo).
4 - Dessert

Prize pool will be ALL of entry fees minus $150 for KCBS fees(unless I can get sponsors). Specific structure TBA.

Entry fee is $50. (55$ if you use paypal or credit card).

THEN...................

The NEBS Grilling winners: Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion, 1st Place Chefs Choice 1, First Place Chefs Choice 2 - WILL ADVANCE to a fifth round $500 winner take all shootout. (Ties and/or duplicate winners conditions will be announced in detail). HERES THE CATCH. For the shootout THE 4 WINNERS, will compete against a well known celebrity BBQ chef, known by all and will remain nameless until the contest date. :tape: It is his $500 and you gotta take it from him. :becky:

We will supply the material. 1 protein, 1 starch, 1 veggie. You will have one hour to prepare the dish, all items must be used. You can add anything you want in addition.

Turn in will be open garnish and plating, up to (approx)18x24, family style or portioned.

We will likely be limiting the size of the contest to 30-35. So lets get signed up, we are almost 2 months out.

I am working on sponsorship, so things are subject to change(for the better) if $$ flows in.

A paypal payment will guarantee your spot assignment immediately. (5$ paypal fee added).

more to come.. let the fun begin. :)

Slamdunkpro
05-24-2011, 04:50 PM
This event sounds like fun, how many teams are you taking?

BBQchef33
05-24-2011, 06:07 PM
This event sounds like fun, how many teams are you taking?

Shooting for 35. Can easily fit 50 but the electric right now is for 35.

ique
05-24-2011, 06:11 PM
THAT sounds fun, nice job Phil

ok. Lets get Rolling folks!

You can sign-up for the contest online using paypal or credit card. You still need to mail in the signed consent form. Pay structure for KCBS contest will be ALL entry fees, minus a small percentage for KCBS fees.

A few things. NEBS GRILLING ON SATURDAY.

1 - The Grilling rules will be announced shortly, but here is a prelude. Specific rules will be posted here and on the contest website.

It is a NEBS Sanctioned Grilling contest.

Catagorys are

1 - Appetizer
2 - Chefs Choice 1
3 - Chefs Choice 2 <--That is Not a Typo).
4 - Dessert

Prize pool will be ALL of entry fees minus $150 for KCBS fees(unless I can get sponsors). Specific structure TBA.

Entry fee is $50. (55$ if you use paypal or credit card).

THEN...................
The NEBS Grilling winners: Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion, 1st Place Chefs Choice 1, First Place Chefs Choice 2 - WILL ADVANCE to a fifth round $500 winner take all shootout. (Ties and/or duplicate winners conditions will be announced in detail). HERES THE CATCH. For the shootout THE 4 WINNERS, will compete against a well known celebrity BBQ chef, known by all and will remain nameless until the contest date. :tape: It is his $500 and you gotta take it from him. :becky:

We will supply the material. 1 protein, 1 starch, 1 veggie. You will have one hour to prepare the dish, all items must be used. You can add anything you want in addition.

Turn in will be open garnish and plating, up to (approx)18x24, family style or portioned.

We will likely be limiting the size of the contest to 30-35. So lets get signed up, we are almost 2 months out.

I am working on sponsorship, so things are subject to change(for the better) if $$ flows in.

A paypal payment will guarantee your spot assignment immediately. (5$ paypal fee added).

more to come.. let the fun begin. :)

Sawdustguy
05-24-2011, 06:28 PM
THAT sounds fun, nice job Phil

Are you coming Chris?

SmokeInDaEye
05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Wait, grilling is limited to 35 or the whole contest is limited to 35? If the "celebrity griller" is Sacco I want my money back.

Sledneck
05-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Wait, grilling is limited to 35 or the whole contest is limited to 35? If the "celebrity griller" is Sacco I want my money back.

Not sacco, its Rob Fernandez

Frank Sacco
05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Farkers... I'm just the side show!

ique
05-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Are you coming Chris?

Harpoon > Saratoga > Manorville > Maine

:confused::shock::becky::crazy:

Q Haven
05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Q Haven planning on cooking this one. It will be nice to return to LI. Only 50 miles of actual driving with the New London ferry!

slowerlowerbbq
05-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Money sent last night! Slower Lower is in. A 4 hour drive for us, but why not? Looking forward to it!

Slamdunkpro
05-25-2011, 10:09 AM
6+ hours one way for me and back to back to back Bluemont, Manorville, BelAir.

Thinking,:confused: thinking,:confused: thinking:confused:

Sawdustguy
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Q Haven planning on cooking this one. It will be nice to return to LI. Only 50 miles of actual driving with the New London ferry!

It would be great to see you again Ted.

Cue's Your Daddy
05-25-2011, 10:46 AM
6+ hours one way for me and back to back to back Bluemont, Manorville, BelAir.

Thinking,:confused: thinking,:confused: thinking:confused:

Its long island...Dont go by what map quest says.you have to add at least 4 hours for traffic...:heh:

timzcardz
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
THEN...................

Soooo,

If you win GC, and Chefs Choice 1, and Chefs Choice2, does that mean that you get 3 entries in the shootout?

That maybe a stretch, but the winner of Chefs Choice 1 or 2 could easily be GC or RGC as well with 2 entries?.

Slamdunkpro
05-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Its long island...Dont go by what map quest says.you have to add at least 4 hours for traffic...:heh:

I'm in the DC area so I'm familiar with that situation.

Anchors Smokeshop
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Soooo,

If you win GC, and Chefs Choice 1, and Chefs Choice2, does that mean that you get 3 entries in the shootout?

That maybe a stretch, but the winner of Chefs Choice 1 or 2 could easily be GC or RGC as well with 2 entries?.

Way to complicate things Tim!

BBQchef33
05-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Ignore that queues your daddy guy.. he cant be trusted to do something as simple as carry a brisket to the trailer just before turn-ins. :mad2::becky:

From New London ferry, you will be driving thru L.I. wine country. Should be an easy, quiet drive with alot of green and grape vines. :thumb:

From Bridgeport ferry, its one road straight(rt 112) out of Port Jefferson, then 6 miles on the Expressway. You will be driving thru some towns, and commercial areas, so will hit lights on 112, but it should be no longer than 45 minutes even with traffic. 30 minutes with no traffic.

Sawdustguy
05-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Ted, if you remember the route you and Brendan took when you guys picked up the trailer at my house you won't have any problems.

Q Haven
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
From New London ferry, you will be driving thru L.I. wine country. Should be an easy, quiet drive with alot of green and grape vines. :thumb:

I have done it this way a couple of times. It is really a piece of cake, and you can bring a camper on the ferry! (not cheap though)

SmokeInDaEye
05-25-2011, 05:06 PM
I have done it this way a couple of times. It is really a piece of cake, and you can bring a camper on the ferry! (not cheap though)

What about bringing a fairy on the camper?

ique
05-25-2011, 05:23 PM
What about bringing a fairy on the camper?

I'm sure Ted is cool with you visiting his camper

MilitantSquatter
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Soooo,

Tim - You're usually much sharper than this !!!! You're loosing your touch.

It's somewhat discussed in the following sentence

(Ties and/or duplicate winners conditions will be announced in detail).

Sledneck
05-25-2011, 08:47 PM

i think Bad Bones should come out of retirement for this one

timzcardz
05-25-2011, 10:24 PM

OK, I get it. When there is a tie or duplicate winners there will be some sort of announcement made at the awards that explains who tied and how many points they got, what they grilled, etc.? :wink:

BBQchef33
05-25-2011, 11:24 PM
No, the official detailed rules document is in progress and will be posted shortly.

UNOFFICIALLY: We will account for ties 3 deep, at which time it goes to coin tosses. If a GC or RGC has a first in the CC1 or CC2, we will move to 1st in appetizer, then 1st in dessert, then to second place winners. CC1, CC2, App, DES.

MilitantSquatter
05-26-2011, 07:05 AM
i think Bad Bones should come out of retirement for this one

Meh...

Frank Sacco
05-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Meh...

Come on Vin... You and Sled can team up and hammer out a GC. I heard he makes good ribs?

Sledneck
05-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I think a long island Bash at phils house would be easier and more fun than this contest

BBQchef33
05-27-2011, 01:14 AM
sorry, busy, but you have room in your yard..

and that nice shiny new grill island with the tendon sticking out of the bottom.

Bigdog
05-27-2011, 07:38 AM
WTF is the delete post button?:confused:

Bigdog
05-27-2011, 07:39 AM

...and Phil's columns are to small to support a bash. :-P:-P:-P

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM

and that nice shiny new grill island with the tendon sticking out of the bottom.

Mu place is not the "mecca". I wouldnt draw a crowd like you would. A poll will be up shortly.....

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:11 AM
...and Phil's columns are to small to support a bash. :-P:-P:-P

I would gladly replace them once he announces the date

Sawdustguy
05-27-2011, 10:18 AM
My place is not the "mecca". I wouldnt draw a crowd like you would. A poll will be up shortly.....

Why not? You got a boat and a canal in your back yard.

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Why not? You got a boat and a canal in your back yard.

hahahah a canal near a bunch of fat drunk guys would get real ugly fast

Sawdustguy
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I would gladly replace them once he announces the date

If you want to have a Brethren get together so bad, why not not do something like we did in the past at Hooters. We could have a LIFO meet at the Maples and show the guy some love for having the contest there this year.

Sledneck
05-27-2011, 10:29 AM
If you want to have a Brethren get together so bad, why not not do something like we did in the past at Hooters. We could have a LIFO meet at the Maples and show the guy some love for having the contest there this year.

Thats exactly my point, we all go to the contests,. A contest is not a bash. Never will be This is not in lieu of the contest in manorville

BigBarry
05-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Come on Vin... You and Sled can team up and hammer out a GC. I heard he makes good ribs?

Yeah!

Team R2-Bad Q

05-27-2011, 09:04 PM
I can't wait for this one.....looks like a great place
The set up for the grillin' awesome
celebrity chef....um ralph machio

05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Any local long Islanders...
read online...that a hardware store was robbed in east setauket (mooney pond).....They took all the weber BBQ"S from the front
When did the criminals around hear get so smart :mod:

Yakfishingfool
05-27-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm In!!!

timzcardz
06-02-2011, 12:57 PM
From the competition site www.bbqbattleli.com (http://www.bbqbattleli.com) :

SATURDAY 8/6 - Custom Car Show. Some of Longs Islands Hottest Hot rods come down to show what they got. Trophies to peoples Choice winners!

Is this a leftover from when the comp was supposd to be in Holtsville, or has the car show moved to The Maples too?

BBQchef33
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
This is a NEW car show at the Maples... different one than the holtsville one.

Met up with them on Sunday night and they are in. Working thru details this week.

SmokeInDaEye
06-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Just sent in my application. Only two spots left!!!!

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
My check will be going will be going out this week as well. Phil: Once the details of the car show (and any other plans you may have in motion) are worked out, will there be a flyer or some kind of advertising materials up on the site that we can use to promote? You had said previously that the owners were looking to get a crowd out there.

Westexbbq
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
^^^^
Yep, there will be advertising and flyers etc. It's in the works.

Yakfishingfool
06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
PAID!!! I'm in.

Frank Sacco
06-03-2011, 12:02 AM
PAID!!! I'm in.

Whore...

SmokeInDaEye
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Its back

Sacco is already set up for the car show.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
^^^ Ah, that picture never gets old. Still hilarious!

Sawdustguy
06-03-2011, 04:11 PM
^^^ Ah, that picture never gets old. Still hilarious!

We had a meeting the other night at the Maples and that is exactly how it looked.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm actually shocked Clint didn't photoshop the SIDE trailer in there somewhere. You know how he hates to promote himself. :tongue:

06-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Hows the layout....some in the lot, some on the grass like last year ???
Anyone know ??

Sawdustguy
06-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Hows the layout....some in the lot, some on the grass like last year ???
Anyone know ??

IMHO 35 teams can easily fit on the grass. It is larger than it looks in the photo.

Anchors Smokeshop
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Has anyone paid via the Pay Pal button on the bbqbattleli.com website?
I am trying to make my payment, but whenever I click on the "Buy Now" button, it takes me to Pay Pal, but gives me an error message saying that my transaction could not be completed.
I am logged onto Pay Pal and I know I have enough in my account, so that's not the issue.
I think it could be a bad link on the bbqbattleli website.
Anyone else have success or the same issue using Pay Pal?

slowerlowerbbq
06-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I am trying to make my payment, but whenever I click on the "Buy Now" button, it takes me to Pay Pal, but gives me an error message saying that my transaction could not be completed.
I am logged onto Pay Pal and I know I have enough in my account, so that's not the issue.

My team partner had the same problem when he tried to make payment initially, but he tried the next morning and it worked. I had tried on my laptop the same time he did and I was able to get it to work on mine. Maybe try another computer-if you can?

Or who knows...maybe it's Phil's way of keeping some of us from getting in :crazy::becky:

timzcardz
06-04-2011, 01:18 PM

FYI, when I paid, about a week ago, I had the same problem and PMed Phil. Phil told me that he tried and it seemed OK.

I tried again to no avail. I was using IE, but when I tried using Firefox it worked fine.

BBQchef33
06-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I just got in with IE8 and firefox. :confused:

BigBarry
06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I got in with Chrome/Win7 a week or so ago

Anchors Smokeshop
06-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I was able to make the payment using Firefox but I still couldn't do it using IE8.

timzcardz
06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I was able to make the payment using Firefox but I still couldn't do it using IE8.

James,

FYI, I ried on a different computer and still got the error message with IE8.

Seems to work for some and not for others.

Puzzling.:confused:

Cue's Your Daddy
06-05-2011, 08:47 PM
James,

FYI, I ried on a different computer and still got the error message with IE8.

Seems to work for some and not for others.

Puzzling.:confused:

Tim, Its a shame you will not be able to compete this year do to computer problems. I assume they need judges.:becky:

CBQ
06-06-2011, 11:12 AM
We also had the same problem with IE8. The Paypal link did not work, but it did when using Firefox. ZBQ did not attend last year since the Battle overlapped with Mainely Chillin' & Grillin', so we are pleased to be able to return this year.

boogiesnap
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Just sent in my application. Only two spots left!!!!

is this accurate?

BBQchef33
06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
no.. we have room.

06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
how about mailing a check...........

MikeR
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
What's that? :confused:

Westexbbq
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Certainly:
Pay online at http://www.bbqbattleli.com or Make check payable to and mail to:
The BBQ Brethren
PO BOX 58
St James, NY 11780

nosmo
06-06-2011, 06:43 PM
smokin' irish is in and pay pal

BBQchef33
06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
As huge as this place is, we are filling the venues square footage up quickly, so are definitely limiting to 35-40 teams. Get registrations in!

boogiesnap
06-06-2011, 07:59 PM
how many as of now, phil?

just wondering how hard a shoulder i need to push on the "boss".

Sawdustguy
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Phil (Poobah),

Could you spell our team name correctly on the Battle of the BBQ Brethren site. Pollack is a fish. A Polock is a fat guy of Polish decent who thinks he can BBQ.

Sawdustguy and something smells fishy.

timzcardz
06-07-2011, 10:39 AM
On a related note, how are the car show entries doing?

MAsQue
06-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Certainly:
Pay online at http://www.bbqbattleli.com or Make check payable to and mail to:
The BBQ Brethren
PO BOX 58
St James, NY 11780

I'm getting a "Cannot complete transaction" message back from PayPal when I click on the "Buy Now" button. Checked my PayPal account - everything looks OK. Anybody know what this message means?

BBQchef33
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm getting a "Cannot complete transaction" message back from PayPal when I click on the "Buy Now" button. Checked my PayPal account - everything looks OK. Anybody know what this message means?

Seems theres a security issue with some local settings on IE8 and the paypal buttons. Thats why it works for some and not others. It depended on your settings for opening things up in new tabs or new windows. Made some changes to force a new window to open. Try it now.

MAsQue
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Works now.

06-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Hows the number of teams coming along ???
Flyers ??
lets get the word to the masses

06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah, I am in, paid just now.......

:boxing:New Recipes in the arsenal this time, :shock::shock: watch out .....

tugbone
06-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Babylon grillibillies app and check is on its way.
Hear this place is nice.

Mat
06-28-2011, 07:32 AM
i cant wait for this. not going to enter, but just to see you guys in action. maybe next season you'll see me more involved.

06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
i cant wait for this. not going to enter, but just to see you guys in action. maybe next season you'll see me more involved.
There should be lots of action.......:becky:
you could also get pictures with Tom sellecks mustache,
or ride in the green camaro of love.....?????

Anchors Smokeshop
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Where can i find more details about the rules of the grilling contest?
The bbqbattleli website says something about a tray for Peoples Choice 1. What does that mean?

Anchors Smokeshop
06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
The bbqbattleli website says something about a tray for Peoples Choice 1. What does that mean?

Cue's Your Daddy
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
http://www.backwoodzgraphix.com/sitebuilder/images/Princess_Parking_Only_2_Thumb-104x161.jpg

SACCO already has his spot saved

Westexbbq
06-29-2011, 10:36 AM

All details should be forthcoming fairly soon.

06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
http://www.backwoodzgraphix.com/sitebuilder/images/Princess_Parking_Only_2_Thumb-104x161.jpg

SACCO already has his spot saved

you asked, & shall receive

BBQchef33
06-29-2011, 02:09 PM

grilling rules will be published shortly. I am working on them for the passed few nights. Aside from 'prepared on site', there will truley be minimal limitations. The goal is to allow the chefs full control and creativity as well as entice the backyard warriors to join in.

chefs choice #1 is OPEN GARNISH OPEN PLATING up to 18x24. This means instead of a 9x9 box, you can serve on a tray or serving platter, garnished however you like.

Westexbbq
06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
All details should be forthcoming fairly soon.

Howz that for fairly soon?

motoeric
06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
What sort of containers are the competitors being given for the grilling comp and are all categories open garnish?

Eric

EDIT

Sorry, didn't see the post at the bottom of page 16. Feel free to delete this if need be.

BigBarry
06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Phil (Poobah),

Could you spell our team name correctly on the Battle of the BBQ Brethren site. Pollack is a fish. A Polock is a fat guy of Polish decent who thinks he can BBQ.

Sawdustguy and something smells fishy.

So it's Two Fat Pallets? Two Fat Palettes?

I hear that you guys are on the way to renaming to Two FIT Polocks!!

Oh, and Phil it's Team BigBarryQ (get it? BBQ?) One word. Thanks. I want it to look right on the trophy, ya know.

06-30-2011, 09:05 AM
While we are at it :-P
Its Smokenstein not Smokenstien....:-D
even though its say ie on my call tag with the bride, before i knew correct horror lingo

Like igor says in young frankenstein-----Frooderick Frankensteen

slowerlowerbbq
06-30-2011, 04:29 PM
While we are at it :-P
Its Smokenstein not Smokenstien....:-D
even though its say ie on my call tag with the bride, before i knew correct horror lingo

Like igor says in young frankenstein-----Frooderick Frankensteen

And one more....

It's Slower Lower BBQ, not Lower Slower BBQ...that just wouldn't make any sense (it's a Delaware thang).

Thanks Phil!!!

motoeric
07-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Hi,

There may be some backyard BBQ'ers who have limited experience w/ competitions who would be interested in participating.

Is there anyone willing to keep an eye on a new team and offer advice as needed? I'd happily volunteer, but I'm the last person that should be offering advice on cooking at comps.

They participated in a casual ribs and chicken contest earlier this year and I think that having someone to depend on for tips and advice would make them a lot more comfortable about competing.

Thanks!

Eric

07-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi,

There may be some backyard BBQ'ers who have limited experience w/ competitions who would be interested in participating.

Is there anyone willing to keep an eye on a new team and offer advice as needed? I'd happily volunteer, but I'm the last person that should be offering advice on cooking at comps.

They participated in a casual ribs and chicken contest earlier this year and I think that having someone to depend on for tips and advice would make them a lot more comfortable about competing.

Thanks!
i
Eric

If they have camera's ? I say clint

BBQchef33
07-02-2011, 11:40 AM
The cooks packet is available here (http://www.bbqbattleli.com/docs/cookspacket-manorville.pdf), and on the contest website.

(http://www.bbqbattleli.com)
i will be calling all teams individually to answer questions and introduce myself.

if you have paid via paypal and not sent in your application, please send it in. I need the info on the application such as email addys phone numbers and the names to write on the checks to the winners.

We are at 24 teams. One month out. Pretty Good. We will limit at 30, maybe 35 depending on power and space.

BBQchef33
07-02-2011, 11:18 PM
if anyone printed a copy of this, please reprint page 2 and 8. I made some corrections..

we are paying to 5th in all categories, not 3rd.

and I corrected a phone number on page 8...

:)... sorry. But I'm not known for my typing skills.

SmokeInDaEye
07-03-2011, 08:17 PM
If they have camera's ? I say clint

No cameras allowed but yes, I would be happy to help. Can they set up next to me? And make sure "smokenstien" is far far away.... :)