PDA

View Full Version : When gas hits $5.00 a gallon :(

ThomEmery
01-23-2011, 07:15 AM
How will this effect your 2011 season?
Will you scale down and do the same number of contests?
Or
Just drop a contest or two to make up the difference?

Captain Dave
01-23-2011, 08:00 AM
I say drill here, drill now! And oust any politician who says otherwise! Enough already...and save the corn for the grill. Gas with ethanol cuts my fuel mileage 10% or more.

altomari8868
01-23-2011, 08:09 AM
I just paid $3.37 a gallon here in PA... While I am going to try and not let it cancel a contest or two, I may try and scale back on other things... Like the kids allowance, wifes cosmetics, kids car repairs, etc.

LM600
01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Sorry, a bit of a hijack :redface:

Over here diesel is 1.33 a LITRE...that's just shy of a quarter of a gallon...so that's 5.50ish a gallon...which is about $9 a gallon :crazy: :mad2: :shocked:

tearl42
01-23-2011, 08:43 AM
We might cut back a little. Lucky that here in Michigan we have a number of great events so staying local won't bother us too much.

arlieque
01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
JUst paid $282.00 in Tennessee. Thom, $5.00 in only in California,,,,wink wink

Ponderosa BBQ
01-23-2011, 09:30 AM
man it's gonna be tough on my wallet but i will still hit my contests

ThomEmery
01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
The travel distances out here really effect the wallet

BBQ_Mayor
01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
We'll hit as many as we can. May need to not take the big trailer and save a little gas that way.

Alexa RnQ
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
The minivan gets nearly 27mpg on some of our trip legs. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

moocow
01-23-2011, 09:55 AM
The people who complain about gas prices are the same people who blow extra money on smokes, beer and lottery tickets. Not that I have a problem with any of those three things. My point is if you don't want to give up a contest or two you can always save money that you waste on other things you really don't need anyway. If you were to eat off the value menu at at a fast food chain all week for $2 a day for lunch and maybe give up that Starbucks coffee in the morning or 44oz coke after work you would easily have enough money to cover the extra gas. With all that being said we have decided to not take the big 5th wheel to as many contest this year!:-P

jbrink01
01-23-2011, 10:17 AM
We are actually cooking MORE, but we secured a season long meat sponsor and cash sponsors for several contests close to home. At the distant contests we are going to focus on the KCBS 4 and not try and buy a dessert or side dish win. I've also nearly quit drinking, so the liquor expense is quite a bit less.

ThomEmery
01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
:) eat off the $2.00 menu and add 10 pounds to the seat cushion :)

Gore
01-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Sorry, a bit of a hijack :redface:

Over here diesel is 1.33 a LITRE...that's just shy of a quarter of a gallon...so that's 5.50ish a gallon...which is about $9 a gallon :crazy: :mad2: :shocked:

Absolutely true, but the vehicles over there get significantly higher gas mileage than over here. We have lots of regulations that make our cars safe and non-polluting, but in addition have a tremendous cost on energy. I have a European-made car that gets approximately 60mpg in Europe, but once outfitted with required anti-pollution devices only gets about 45mpg here -- the really sad part is because it now burns more fuel it actually pollutes more. I have a good friend in Spain whose minivan gets over 40mpg. That same minivan model in the USA outfitted with required devices gets only 20mpg. Yes, the cost of gas per gallon is significantly higher in Europe, but the cost per mile is not. -- sorry to continue the hijack, but these regulations are crazy and the air is not THAT much more polluted in Europe than in the USA. :redface:

JD McGee
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Hmmm...good question...it will not effect how many comps we do...our travels are within a 3-4 hour drive for the most part. We were hoping to do a few more KCBS comps in Oregon, Montana, and Idaho...the cost may force us to stay in our back yard though...:tsk:

LM600
01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm always wary of manufacturers MPG figures...the old rule used to be that figure minus 5, now it's more like that figure minus 10!

And, the vehicles on sale in the UK meet stringent safety and anti polluting (read weighty) measures

My diesel Smart FourTwo does about 200 miles on a tank that costs me 40 to fill up....the Mrs' diesel B Class does significantly better....Why? I do short, high speed journeys to and from work in the Smart whilst Mrs LM works about 20 miles away and is pretty much on a dual carraigeway all the way there and back at a constant speed.

However, when I had my petrol PT Cruiser convertible I was seriously considering buying shares in BP, Shell, Texaco etc.....12mpg!!!!

But, my real point is this - the cost of fuel in the UK has risen year on year, month on month, day on day (I am serious!) and we still get shafted by the Government on fuel costs....import duties, various taxes, VAT at point of sale etc because the previous Governments did not invest in home supplied / processed oil / petrol...these all add up to me swearing at the fuel pump - thank the Lord for "pay at pump" ability!!!

I do not mean to sound anti Government, it just riles me!!!!!

Gore
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Your mileage will vary greatly with regard to advertised MPG, but I'm going by personal experience. I'm extremely unaggressive on the road and typically get better MPG than advertised. I do a lot of driving in Europe and I'm nearly always shocked by how much farther I can go on a gallon of gas. When I drove my friend's minivan I was completely blown away. I got over 40 MPG (which is what he says he typically gets) and it is NOT a small minivan. Such mileage is unheard of here. I fully agree with your rant, mine is the same, but just another aspect of the same thing.

moocow
01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
:) eat off the $2.00 menu and add 10 pounds to the seat cushion :)
I did not say it was a good idea!

Candy Sue
01-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I suspect like many, it all depends on income. If I get lucky and win some the money goes back into the contest kitty, which means I can cook more contests. If I'm not lucky, it all depends on payroll then. Got to love my Sprinter van (2006 5 cylinder diesel), mpg is 21 versus 15 on the pickup truck. Every little bit helps!

Buster Dog BBQ
01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Enough contest here I can stay within 3 hours. Probably limits any out of state we do unless it's an invite and contest.

Sawdustguy
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
The people who complain about gas prices are the same people who blow extra money on smokes, beer and lottery tickets. Not that I have a problem with any of those three things. My point is if you don't want to give up a contest or two you can always save money that you waste on other things you really don't need anyway. If you were to eat off the value menu at at a fast food chain all week for $2 a day for lunch and maybe give up that Starbucks coffee in the morning or 44oz coke after work you would easily have enough money to cover the extra gas. With all that being said we have decided to not take the big 5th wheel to as many contest this year!:-P

Sorry bud, competing at BBQ contests is a hobby for my family and I. We do not partake of alot of the things you mentioned but I can safely say that I will not allow my family to change their living habits just to cook another BBQ contest.

dreed
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I plan on winning more!
and leave the travel trailer home

jestridge
01-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I think it is a hobby for most of the people that competes, just like going fishing or a sporting event according what your priorities are

Dale P
01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I have had more fun competing in BBQ then any of the other hobbies I have done. Nothing is cheap but i am willing to spend some $ to have some fun in life while I can.

Spydermike72
01-23-2011, 04:27 PM
If we get $5.00 per gallon gas I will look at things then, but it will affect my comp decisions...

bbqbull
01-23-2011, 05:32 PM
If fuel costs go that high I will just throw a neighborhood bbq and when I do that I am always a winner.

moocow
01-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Sorry bud, competing at BBQ contests is a hobby for my family and I. We do not partake of alot of the things you mentioned but I can safely say that I will not allow my family to change their living habits just to cook another BBQ contest.

I agree, just pointing out we waste a lot of money on crap we don't need when you actually sit back and think about it. If we drove 300 miles round trip to a contest at 13 mpg pulling our trailer the cost diffrence between $3 gas and $5 gas would be $46 difference. I would try to save this myself and not involve my family. Pretty sure I could do it in several weeks by cutting those things out.

Finney
01-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I say drill here, drill now! And oust any politician who says otherwise! Enough already...and save the corn for the grill. Gas with ethanol cuts my fuel mileage 10% or more.

You have to realize that 'drilling here' does very little to change the price of gas.
America is a member of OPEC and any oil drilled here just goes into the world market.
Until it is running out across other parts of the world our added oil wouldn't change a thing because there is so little here compared to other parts of the world.

Our only chance at lowering prices as a people is using less... then the powers that be will lower costs, to get you to buy more....

Anchors Smokeshop
01-23-2011, 09:08 PM
JUst paid $282.00 in Tennessee. Thom, $5.00 in only in California,,,,wink wink

Two hundred and eighty two dollars for a gallon of gas in Tennessee?
How much is a gallon of milk? Three hundred and forty seven dollars?

Vince RnQ
01-23-2011, 09:17 PM
I think he missed the decimel place by a couple and that gas is actually $2.82/gal. in Arlie's neck of the woods. (Nashville, TN)

Crash
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
It wont hurt us a bit. Even though gas is about $3.75/gallon here, there are no competitions to travel to.....yet. :wink:

ThomEmery
01-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Yet is the key word :)

Homebrewed Q
01-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Well last year was my first year, we only did one, cancelled two others due to health reasons. So, we will be doing more (4-6) comps this year. Most are within 150 miles or less in TX, a couple will be in Louisiana but have a dual purpose, a comp and visiting family. We don't have a trailer, my 300 lb BWS Fatboy fits to a receiver hitch, so its grab and go ready.
Also, I agree with the drill here, drill now sentiment because I'm in the oilfield hotshot biz (currently on a Orange, CA run), and it adds much needed jobs.
Still a noob to comps, hope to meet some brethren this year in TX and LA! (and other states if we get invites...;))

Big George's BBQ
01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
I dont know about contest but it wil definately make me think aboput getting rid of my oil heater for the downstairs and put in propane like I have in the upstairs

Capn Kev
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I plan to do 10-12 contests this year, similar to last year. Gas prices will affect maybe 2 contests on my current list. However, if necessary I'd rather pick up another part time job to sustain my BBQ activities :thumb::becky:

luckyduk
01-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Enough contest here I can stay within 3 hours. Probably limits any out of state we do unless it's an invite and contest.

X2 here, Iowa has a fair amount of comps within a couple hours of me. Might travel into Mn for one or two

Divemaster
01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
It wont hurt us a bit. Even though gas is about $3.75/gallon here, there are no competitions to travel to.....yet. :wink:

We here in Northern Illinois have the same problem... Wisconsin lost 6 out of 7 contests this year... We are looking at doubling (if not more) to go to Southern Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Minnesota... We are looking at cutting back...

2Fat
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Diesel is at 3.43/gal in the middle of Wisconsin---starting to notice the cost now but when diesel was over 5bucks a couple years ago it hurt!

Johnny Ca$h
01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
And I agree with you you ever notic how much taxes are on the price of a gallon of gas and the over priceing of the buy-product of gas (diesel) cost at lease .50 more a gallon. It's Our greedy,wastfull goverment...:crazy: sorry for the highJack J.$.

CivilWarBBQ
01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
We've been blessed to have a steadily increasing pool of Georgia contests over the past 5 years, so it's rare that we have a need to travel very far to do our typical season of about 10 shows.

That said, we made the decision at the end of last year to downsize our competition trailer to give us more flexibility in the contests we can enter. Smaller gear means we can afford to travel farther and fit into smaller venues.

Chipper
01-25-2011, 06:02 AM
It won't keep us form our schedule.

southernsmoker
01-25-2011, 06:49 AM
$1.25 per ltr here in NL and we have offshore oil to boot..someone's raking in the $$$...

Dr_KY
01-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Absolutely true, but the vehicles over there get significantly higher gas mileage than over here. We have lots of regulations that make our cars safe and non-polluting, but in addition have a tremendous cost on energy. I have a European-made car that gets approximately 60mpg in Europe, but once outfitted with required anti-pollution devices only gets about 45mpg here -- the really sad part is because it now burns more fuel it actually pollutes more. I have a good friend in Spain whose minivan gets over 40mpg. That same minivan model in the USA outfitted with required devices gets only 20mpg. Yes, the cost of gas per gallon is significantly higher in Europe, but the cost per mile is not. -- sorry to continue the hijack, but these regulations are crazy and the air is not THAT much more polluted in Europe than in the USA. :redface:

Now take that and factor in that my imported Chevy Astro ( California via Japan) has all the smog gear added on. I'm also running on LPG but not until the temp gauge reaches operating temps.

There are not a lot of comps over here but it is a concern, most of the fuel waste is because of the road layout with all the start and stop plus the roundabouts don't help.

RangerJ
01-26-2011, 07:14 AM
My plan was to do 12 competitions this year and I wanted to do some outside the state of Texas as most here are IBCA or a similar organization, where no feedback is given as to how you actually did other than your place. So that's the bad news.

The good news is, as mentioned earlier, on any given weekend, there are 3-4 competitions within a short driving distance. So, I think I can still hit 12, they just may not be some of the ones I had in mind.

CBQ
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey, the gas gauge on the motor home moves down slowly, so it's just like driving a SmartCar. :becky: Just will try not think about the fact that it's an 80 gallon tank and getting 8mpg.

I don't think we will cut back on contests though, it's just another expense in an already expensive hobby.

jestridge
01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
This same question was asked when it got 1buck a gal. Also my pap always said he would stop smoking when cigs got to 30 cents a pak.

Divemaster
01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
This same question was asked when it got 1buck a gal. Also my pap always said he would stop smoking when cigs got to 30 cents a pak.
Last time I saw that was in the 70's, in the Navy, and at Great Lakes... lol.. 25 cents a pack back then without all of the local taxes! I think now they are between $6.00-$7.00 in Chicago.... Glad I quit them... Now if I could only give up the cigars....

jestridge
01-26-2011, 11:28 AM
I was at Great Lakes 1971=72

Divemaster
01-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Then you remember it too. Only not as well (Old Fart mod... LOL)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

2Fat
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
... Now if I could only give up the cigars....

But why?????

Stoke&Smoke
01-27-2011, 03:19 PM

I was there in 1976. Got out of boot camp the same day Daley died.

I seem to remember it was about 10 bucks per carton in the late 70's in the Navy Exchange in HI and Guam. And remember buying them as a kid for my grandmother and brother when I was 10 or so for like 24 cents a pack!

I'm glad I quit that habit 5 or 6 years ago!

We only do a handful of comps anyway, 6 the past 2 years, 4 the year before that. Our comps come from what is essentially our vacation budget. By the time I take those days off, there's not many left for anything else, so I don't think we'll change much