PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Hog Fest in Historic Edenton, NC Apr. 29th & 30th, 2011

Tarheel
01-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Hello Brethren, :clap2: I wanted to get this out to everyone, plans are well underway for the 5th Hog Fest. Those of you who have been with us in the past know we have fun. Those who have not visted us are simply missing out. This year we have Smithfield and one of our presenting sponsors and they will be set up there with lots of fun things. Our website this year is www.hogfestedenton.com (http://www.hogfestedenton.com) and you can find all the applications there. If you have questions just let me know.
So look foward to seeing all of you again and some new faces too.
:becky:
Roy

bbq.tom
01-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey Roy,

My wife and I will be there to judge - our first time at the Edenton comp.

Looking forward to meeting you after the judging!

Tom

cfraz smoke
01-22-2011, 02:00 PM
will the public be invited or is this a private cooking competion.

BKBBQ
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
any prize info on site maybe i missed it.

Rick Hamilton
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't miss it. Had a great time last year and it was ran very well.

lcbateman3
01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Yup, I'll be there..can't miss the hometown one!

Tarheel
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
The prize schedule will be posted on the website next week, I can tell you that the total is $10,250 plus some very nice trophys on the KCBS side. And then a little more on the whole hog side as well. Check the website next week.

Roy

bbq.tom
01-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't miss it. Had a great time last year and it was ran very well.

Hey Rick Hamilton and Icbateman3 - I figured that you both are doing the KCBS comp, but are either of you competing in the "Whole Hog" category as sanctioned by the North Carolina Pork Council?

I am certified to judge both KCBS and the NC Pork Council comps, but will stick with KCBS for this event (more fun and more variety!).

Looking forward to catching up with both of you AFTER the judging.

smokeyw
01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Hey Rick Hamilton and Icbateman3 - I figured that you both are doing the KCBS comp, but are either of you competing in the "Whole Hog" category as sanctioned by the North Carolina Pork Council?

I am certified to judge both KCBS and the NC Pork Council comps, but will stick with KCBS for this event (more fun and more variety!).

Looking forward to catching up with both of you AFTER the judging.

I have been competing in NC Pork Council competitions for several years and am also a certified NC Pork Council judge. I am considering doing some KCBS events. I enjoy that type of smoking. I wouldn't mind becoming a KCBS certified judge too.

bbq.tom
01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
I have been competing in NC Pork Council competitions for several years and am also a certified NC Pork Council judge. I am considering doing some KCBS events. I enjoy that type of smoking. I wouldn't mind becoming a KCBS certified judge too.

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION!!!

Didn't mean to yell, but you have a GREAT chance to get your CBJ with KCBS NEXT month - February!

Cintact KCBS SOON to get registered for this training! It will only be offered ONE TIME in NC this year (didn't even offer CBJ training in NC last year).

February 19th in Lexington!!! I'll be there, as my wife is taking the training.

I hope you can make it!!! It would be good to meet you there! PLEASE let me know if you register.

smalls65
01-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Can't wait for this one!!!!! Gonna drop my application in the mail next week!!!! :-P

smokeyw
01-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Didn't mean to yell, but you have a GREAT chance to get your CBJ with KCBS NEXT month - February!

Cintact KCBS SOON to get registered for this training! It will only be offered ONE TIME in NC this year (didn't even offer CBJ training in NC last year).

I hope you can make it!!! It would be good to meet you there! PLEASE let me know if you register.

Thanks for the heads up! I have sent an email requesting information. I hope I can get in the class.

bbq.tom
01-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Can't wait for this one!!!!! Gonna drop my application in the mail next week!!!! :-P

Does your response mean that you are going to the Edenton Comp or to Lexington for CBJ training???

lcbateman3
01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Hey Tom,

Glad you said that about the CBJ training, I am going have to sign up, just didn't have one close to me last year!! Love to meet ya.

I haven't decided on the whole hog yet, part of me wants to, and part of me tells to stick to KCBS.

bbq.tom
02-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Hey Tom,

Glad you said that about the CBJ training, I am going have to sign up, just didn't have one close to me last year!! Love to meet ya.

I haven't decided on the whole hog yet, part of me wants to, and part of me tells to stick to KCBS.

Whole hog cooking and judging (for the North Carolina Pork Council) is like an entirely different animal compared to KCBS or MBN comps. Having your pig "destroyed" right in front of you creates a strange sensation. You might have the best looking pig ever before the judges get there, and afterwards it is totally torn apart.
I've both cooked and judged for the NCPC and it is just different. Getting the skin golden and crispy while remaining flavorful is tricky.
It takes several (MANY) times to get everything just right, and then you get a pig that is either way big or way small and you have to adjust.
In a way, KCBS is easier than NCPC.

Looking forward to meeting you as well! Hopefully at the KCBS CBJ training in a couple weeks!

smokeyw
02-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Okay, I have mailed my application. I look forward to meeting you there. I may already know you since you judge NCPC.

Tarheel
02-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Ok, now that the sam's club schedule is out and I know you were all waiting for that cause I was, you can send your applications in for Edenton now. Look foward to seeing all of you there.

smalls65
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Does your response mean that you are going to the Edenton Comp or to Lexington for CBJ training???

Cooking in the Edenton Comp!! :-D

Rick Hamilton
02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Got mine in the mail today Roy!

Tarheel
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes, after Lakeland you have the money! :-D

SerialGriller
02-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Serial Griller will be there! A great contest, thanks Roy.

Tarheel
02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Good, Thanks guys, Now I will have the Grand and Reserve from Lakeland here.

Tarheel
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Also for those who have been asking the Prize schedule is on the website now. www.hogfestedenton.com (http://www.hogfestedenton.com).

Tarheel
02-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Check out the facebook for this event, just search Hog Fest and it should pop up.

Roy

lcbateman3
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Form will be mailed next week Roy. Had to pay for Sams Club first...

bbq.tom
02-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Hey Roy,

My wife and I got our emails from you yesterday confirming our being KCBS judges for this event.

THANKS!

See you there!

Tarheel
02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Just wanted to remind all that the early bird runs out the 28th of this month. Trying to save you some money!!
Roy:becky:

lcbateman3
02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Check was put in the mail today. So should be there tomorrow!

wormdrink67
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Can't wait for this competition!

smalls65
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Just wanted to remind all that the early bird runs out the 28th of this month. Trying to save you some money!!
Roy:becky:

Put my application in the mail last Saturday!!!! :becky:

Tarheel
02-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Got the list of who is coming on the website now, Updating again today as well. Take a look and put your application in the mail today.

Roy:-D

Mike - CSBBBQ
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Roy puts on a great contest. Will be our third year. One of our favorites :-D

Tarheel
02-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Roy puts on a great contest. Will be our third year. One of our favorites :-D

Well thank you Mike, you cook a good contest too, just been a little bit short they last two years, Third time is a charm!! See you next week.

For the rest of the fence riders the early bird runs out the 28th don't miss the free money:doh:

Roy

smalls65
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Just looked at the list of teams that have already signed up..Gonna be some stiff competition....This should be really FUN!!!!!!! :-D

Tarheel
02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
:doh: Have you let it slip? Get it in the mail today!!! The numbers are growing make sure you get in on the Fun!!

Tarheel
03-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Almost at that 30 day mark, have 30+ teams now, we now have a concert for Saturday afternoon, Lea SeaWright, you can find more about that on the website. Everything is coming together, looking forward to seeing everyone. Still have some space left and you have time to get in. :thumb:

BigBlock
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Have been cooking whole hogs for twenty years and love doing it. I have only been in two contests which were a lot of fun and will be cooking in the Newport pig cooking contest this weekend. This is the biggest whole hog cooking in the US should be 82 cooks on site with some very xtream cookers. Hope to do well.

weatherman
04-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Will def. be there.. Can't wait to have as much fun as I did last year! Good luck to everyone who is competing and good luck to the judges as well.