PDA

View Full Version : trophys/cash

4 smokin butts
01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
trophys or cash what would like to take home......hardware,cash ,ribbons........more cash ,less hardware???

WhiskeyBentBBQ
01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
All about the cash!

Buster Dog BBQ
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Cash

4 smokin butts
01-18-2011, 10:25 PM
again cash is king.......ribbons go great with cash

bbq lover
01-18-2011, 10:33 PM
we have taken both but cash is best helps offset meat cost and the ribbons or iron gets taken to sponsors they like that along with pictures of the event

ssbbqguy
01-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Both, but $ talks in any language. Steve.

Vince RnQ
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Dennis! I think there needs to be balance between both trophies and cash. Earning a great payday at a contest is wonderful but there's something very special about trophies that are unique and say something about the particular contest. For example, the Clovis, CA contest gave bronze Remington sculptures to the GC and RGC. They did this because of the larger than life Remington sculpture that resides along the Old Town Clovis Trail. It's a symbol that is connected to the town and to the contest. These kinds of trophies are, in my opinion, the best.

rooftop bbq
01-18-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Dennis! I think there needs to be balance between both trophies and cash. Earning a great payday at a contest is wonderful but there's something very special about trophies that are unique and say something about the particular contest. For example, the Clovis, CA contest gave bronze Remington sculptures to the GC and RGC. They did this because of the larger than life Remington sculpture that resides along the Old Town Clovis Trail. It's a symbol that is connected to the town and to the contest. These kinds of trophies are, in my opinion, the best.

I agree cash is what covers cost. But when you win a large
Prize and receive a cheap medal something doesnt feel right. I think promoters should look into other kinds of trophies like the remington. Finding a starving artist, might be cheaper then paying an engraver and a lot more interesting

4 smokin butts
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
agreed.....gc and rc are special,,and 1st in any catorgary,not to say 2nd ,3,or4 are any less,,,,we need all those for grand,,,but, pay according to rank.. iguess what i was saying,dont go over board on trophys,give back to the teams

Smokedelic
01-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Unique, handmade trophies are cool, like those little bottle cap ones from Columbia. Bowling trophies, not so much. However, hard to pay for gas in the tank to get home with a trophy.

Dale P
01-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Both. I do it for the bling, and it takes cash to play, so both.

Bowling trophies arent that great imho.

Homebrewed Q
01-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Cash and unique trophies for 1st in each category, RGC, and GC, ribbons for other places.

Bunny
01-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Cash does help offset costs but I think unique trophies are awesome. Hermann MO gives out beautiful blue full wine bottles with engraved winners on each.

Alexa RnQ
01-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Even bowling trophies have their place. If you're the team that has been plugging away forever and you get your first high call complete with bowling trophy, you love that damn thing. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/hearteyes.gif

Let's not lose sight of the fact that at any given show, there are a lot more teams who'd love to drag home some hardware than ones who are tired of it, and on any given weekend one of them might just do so.

ammoore
01-19-2011, 09:02 AM
I for one still like to drag home a trophy now and again. And like others have said, if it is something unique that makes it even better.
The nice ribbons are fine but those .50 cent grade school track ribbons need to go.

It's just like most other hobbies, when you add up all your costs, if you actually "win" anything, then it was a good day. (Even if it is just a trophy)

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-19-2011, 09:08 AM
I compete for fun and get more enjoyment from looking at an award that reminds me of the good friends and wonderful times I had that weekend. Dont get me wrong a few $$$ every once and a while helps out, but I display each and every award but never a photo copy of a check.

Buster Dog BBQ
01-19-2011, 09:14 AM
River City Roundup in Omaha is tied to a big rodeo and cattle show. GC and RGC get a branding iron as the trophy with the logo on it. First in each category gets a Boos board with the logo branded into it. Pretty cool.

While I do like the cash it's amazing what a $2.00 8th place ribbon does to bring a guy back to the next contest.

KC_Bobby
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I agree with above regarding the unique awards compared to the typical bowling trophies. Personally, I love unique plaques so they can be hung on the game room/den/office wall with ribbons. Easier to find a home for compared to a trophy.

Awards for GC, RGC and 1st place of each category; and ribbons for the other calls - I believe those are the expectations of most cooks - Along with cash/check for at least 1st-5th of categories. I'd love to see top ten overall get paid too. Isn't the goal to do well overall?

Yesterday People's Choice thread reminded me of a certain People's Choice pork event that we won. I'd forgotten about it over time because I don't have a physical award for it - just got some cash. A small inexpensive plaque would have been great to go along with the cash.

JiveTurkey
01-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Our team is still new but I'd rather take home a trophy than cash, unless of course we're talking thousands of dollars, but if I had to choose between a cool trophy and $250 I'd take the trophy, it'll last longer than the $250 ever will. I have the trophy from Wildomar next to my TV, it's huge, and I know that is not something you can buy, we earned that award and you just can't buy that with money. But we're still new and starry eyed and haven't got tired of winning anything just yet.

Vince RnQ
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Our team is still new but I'd rather take home a trophy than cash, unless of course we're talking thousands of dollars, but if I had to choose between a cool trophy and $250 I'd take the trophy, it'll last longer than the $250 ever will. I have the trophy from Wildomar next to my TV, it's huge, and I know that is not something you can buy, we earned that award and you just can't buy that with money. But we're still new and starry eyed and haven't got tired of winning anything just yet.

I hope you never get tired of winning!

smoke it if ya got it
01-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Just gimme that big ol check baby! I dont need anymore dust collectors.:wacko:

Scottie
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
While cash is boss. I've got to say that I enjoyed how Mike Lake did the one's at Shannon. He had a nice inlaid wooden plaque for first place and the super nice rosette ribbons for 1st-10th place in each category. The rosette ribbons cost nothing... This is where the organizers can splurge. Going from $2.50 ribbons to $5.00 ribbons!!! ;) Unless the trophy is unique, I happen to like to collect those!!! Don't give us bowling trophies and put that cash in to the ribbons for the top 10. Those 10th place ribbons mean the world to some new or rookie team. I must admit I like the ribbons and the medals...

some of my best wins, did not come with a trophy of ribbon. So I have nothing to remember them by.

JiveTurkey
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
I hope you never get tired of winning!

I could never win another award or trophy ever again but the one I got in Wildomar I will always get to tell people that I had to go through Jeff In KC, 4 Smokin Butts, Harry Soo and Johnny Trigg to get that sucker! Still didn't beat you guys though! :-P

Lake Dogs
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
A particularly prestigious cookoff, like MIM, The Jack, The Royal, perhaps a few others
I'd want and expect a trophy (along with the payout). Otherwise I have the few really nice unique trophies, and the bowling trophies stay in a box for a year or so then get
thrown out I'm afraid. So, for us, really cool/unique trophie and/or money, but I could
do without the ribbons and the el-cheapo bowling trophies.

Harbormaster
01-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Cash and unique trophies for 1st in each category, RGC, and GC, ribbons for other places.
I prefer medals for places 2-10, not ribbons. (Mostly because I've never placed higher than 5th in a category :becky:)

Dr_KY
01-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Cash!!

I'll buy my own pretty ribbons and glass trophy's if I wanna feel pretty.

Stoke&Smoke
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
It is nice to look at the bling after the money's gone, but if we didn't get a few bucks now and then we couldn't afford to compete

big brother smoke
01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Love the plaques, trophies take up too much room. My trophy from Wildomar has made its way to the garage. Next it will be up in the rafters. The memories will last forever and the cash will help me do more contest and have more memories.

warfrat
01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
All about the cash!

That is unless of course it's a Big Arse title belt! :wink::-D

Skidder
01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
We like the trophies and pictures. Trophies let us know we did well and pics remind us of the fun we had. To us money comes and money goes that's why we work. We try to return all or most of the $$ back to whoever put the event on. Especially if it is a charity event or it goes back to kids or battered women.

RubMeTender
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
All about the cash!

Come on. You don't just do it for the love of the cook and a nice solid pat on the back?

The_Kapn
01-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Can only speak for myself.
When I started, I really appreciated the trophies. Cash was a great thing, but the trophies were "Cool" to put over the fireplace.
Then, the shelf got full.
Then, they become dust collecters.
We give almost every trophy away now--to a school or such that can "repurpose" them for the kiddos.
Some "special' or "unique" ones we have kept.

For the last several years it is all about the cssh at awards time.
Too damn expensive to foot the total costs on retired Moderator income. :-D:-D

TIM

Skidder
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
That's what sponsors are for. To help pay the bills. Then again we're only there for the fun. Winning is just a bonus. Hell I'll take tenth outta ten as long as we have a good time.

Captain Caveman
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
We rely on contest cash to keep our season going. If we had sponsors that paid all of the costs cash wouldn't be nearly as important. I Also enjoy the UNIQUE awards, and will never run out of room to display those. However, almost all of the ribbons and certificates go in a storage box.

thillin
01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Unique, handmade trophies are cool, like those little bottle cap ones from Columbia. Bowling trophies, not so much. However, hard to pay for gas in the tank to get home with a trophy.

I agree. A unique trophy that can be displayed in the house without the wife disapproving.

Skidder
01-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Has to be our favorite from the 2009 Snowshoe Grilling challenge. First place fattie. Handmade and unique. New England BBQ Society
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q64/Skidder1/Picture750.jpg

JD McGee
01-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I like the "bling"..and some of the trophy's are major league cool...but then again...if it meant another 100.00 bucks in the check I wouldn't miss it too much...:becky:

HoDeDo
01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
I think the groups that find a local artisan to donate a trophy for grand and reserve are the coolest! Or even if they pay for it... you get the idea. Local, and special. Boston Hills trophy with a full parade dress chief's helmet, and hand made, HEAVY 3' base... is way cool. The best comp for the over the top local trophies is Pleasant Hill, MO though. Jeff has come up with some killer trophies. Harold our pig, and the Belts that Todd and I won the first year, were both amazing. They get TONS of comments. I have a list of cool ones... Now having said that... Money rules. The more I win, the more I get to cook, so it isnt so much about winning it, as it is about getting to fund the season to last longer. :) Call it my own stimulus package. LOL

DocStl
01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
I like to drag the hardware home. But like everyone else.. cash is king. Our contest in Edwardsville we had trophies for GC RGC ,1-5th and gold engraved medals for 6-10th.
I like to see a new team walk on a 10th place call, all smiles, and chest out lol

Divemaster
01-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I have to agree with the cash/unique trophy side.

Cash keeps our season running. We are hoping to get a sponsor this year so my thoughts may change... They do love putting all those bowling trophies in the window...