PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Smokin in Steele, Owatonna Minnesota 6/3 2011

carlyle
01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
The 4th Annual Smokin in Steele will be June 3 and 4 at the Steele County Fairgrounds in Owatonna, Minnesota. Promoter is Owatonna Council 945 Knights of Columbus. Our beneficiary is the Steele County Special Olympics.

We are a KCBS sanctioned State Championship with a $ 10,000 purse.

Located in the middle of Southern Minnesota right on I- 35, we are 1 hour
South of the Twin Cities (think MegaMall), and home to a 180,000 sq. ft. Cabelas Outlet.

We have reliable power, convenient water, indoor bathrooms, indoor showers, level sites of any size on your choice of asphalt or grass,reliable trash removal, and cheap ice. Free team breakfast Sat. morning.

We pay to 5th place per category with distinctive laser engraved black granite awards to 10th.

Early bird special: Free "Anything Butt" category participation with paid entry by March 1.

Go to: www.smokininsteele.com for registration form and details about our Bluesfest, hot rod garden tractor pull, backyard event, and other activities.

We would like you to be a part of our competition.

Divemaster
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
What is the entrance fee?

carlyle
01-18-2011, 12:01 PM
$ 200 for all 4 categories.

carlyle
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
I wanted to update everyone about Smokin in Steele.

1. Based on feedback from this forum, we have altered our payout schedule. We are still a $ 10,000 contest.

There will be payouts to 10th place in each category (not just 5 places).

2. As part of our weekend, there will be a Kids Q sponsored by EZ Grill.

3. 14 teams took advantage of our early bird special as stated in my original post. We are very happy about that.

4. Another new event as part of the weekend will be a sanctioned American Cornhole Tournament ( bean bag toss). We learned about this at KCBS Annual Banquet and thought it would make a fun addition and attract more non BBQ people to our event.

5. In my area, judging, I have applications from 85 CBJ's from 6 states and Canada. I wanted you to know that there are a lot of trained judges who are anxious to judge your entries. We were 100% CBJ last year, I expect that again this year.

6. I want to remind all the Brethren, if you know you are coming to please register soon. You can avoid a $ 25 late fee by registering before April 15th. I do not want Brethren to get a surprise.

We expect to have a lot of fun again this year as we continue to improve our contest.

The only thing missing is you. Your participation will make things even better.

So join us in beautiful Southern Minnesota the first weekend in June.

See the link to our website for more information and registration forms.

www.smokininsteele.com

Coz
03-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Hopin to make it . At the moment we cant commit unless I start finding some one to go along to help .I am too lazy to cook solo :icon_blush:

carlyle
04-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks COZ
Hope you can find some help.
Montello is such a cool area, We go through there several times a year. I would love to see some representation from Wisconsin at our contest.

I have many judges from Wisconsin how repeatedly make the trip over here, but few teams. I hope that will change soon.

Coz
04-01-2011, 08:08 PM
I have been to Owatonna a few times .Used to go up to see a coon hunter buddy. My wifes father has been ill and she has used most of her time she was saving for the early contests. I did have a couple offers for help so I am thinking we may find ourselves there.

carlyle
04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Coz, that would be great.

I do hope that your wife's father gets better soon.

Also hope it works out that you will be able to join us. Thanks to whoever is offering to help you.