PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL 2011 - Memphis in May WCBBQ Thread

Pages : [1] 2

msavard
01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Alright, I know most of you hacks are KCBS, but I figure there are at least a few of us MBN dogs around here. Where you guys at? Who's competing at Memphis in May? What have you guys started to do to plan for the event?

For those who are used to smaller events but are intrigued by the bigger ones, I'll keep this updated with our planning and execution so for those who might interested can get an inside look at the guts of a large Memphis in May team.

Hopefully others will do the same to give more interested parties something to follow.

Meet Slab Yo Mama BBQ
http://www.slabyomamabbq.com/uploads/GL-1274275664.jpg
Our setup on a 26'x40' lot at Memphis in May in 2010. In 2011 we're moving to 26'x50' and moving to a Riverfront lot right on the Mississippi (+$1300)
http://www.slabyomamabbq.com/uploads/GL-1274275012.jpg

We're in the early stages of planning this year. Our pitmaster is out in SC hammering away at our Rib recipe/technique trying to get us set to improve on last year's 10th place finish.

We've secured our DJ (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs653.snc3/32259_392938006622_547146622_4288798_5582435_n.jpg ) for Thursday & Friday night parties. In addition we're bringing back the Friday's Sunset Blues Session... a 3-man acoustic blues jam on the deck of our trailer. These guys are some of the best guitarsts (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs559.ash1/32540_1422855766435_1083951953_31255582_184530_n.j pg) on Beale... it's something pretty impressive to see...

One big factor at Memphis In May is if you're going to go big (ie host large parties) then you need sponsors. Our budget for the event typically ranges between $12-15k. This year I'm thinking our budget will land around $12-13k and that's with 20 kegs, 8 cases of wine, 4 cases of liquor, and most of our non-meat food being donated. We have pretty much landed Red Bull as a sponsor this year (finalizing the arrangement next week) and are hoping to add a major IT services firm to round out our funding for the year. We'll see.

We'll be serving Shoulder, Ribs, Wings, Beans, Slaw, Potato Salad, and Chargrilled Oysters this year. Team night (wednesday) we'll be using some new pizza stones and making some BBQ pizza using our sauces/shoulder. Last year we did Crawfish. It varies annually.

We'll be compeiting in Ribs, Mustard Base, Tomato Base, Wings, and Seafood for sure. Possibly a couple extra entries...we'll see.

When you've been at it for a while you learn to cut corners to save money. We had been paying $1000 annually just to rent flooring/carpeting. Last year we built our own (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs472.ash1/25894_419783635249_396337845249_5775964_1791236_n. jpg) for about $600. Now we own it. When you've got a monster trailer like ours it's easy to get it to the site (http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs601.snc3/31662_424812105249_396337845249_5892241_1068892_n. jpg). :)

HEre's a shot of Tom Lee Park as some teams are just starting to load in. Love the riverside view site for Memphis in May. :thumb:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs541.ash1/31662_424812710249_396337845249_5892243_5219506_n. jpg

Lake Dogs
01-13-2011, 10:17 AM
MBN "dog" myself. LOVE IT, PREFER IT, like words dont describe. Didn't qualify for
MIM this year, perhaps next year.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/DSC00353.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/newone1-1.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss141/hance_patrick/40139_1663408026369_1272271852_31745901_2487821_n. jpg

msavard
01-13-2011, 11:11 AM
How are you sure you've not qualified yet? Applications aren't due till mid feb IIRC?

Regarding MBN vs KCBS... well.. I'll just let Tuffy tell it like it is:

It was the first competition in Memphis for Tuffy Stone of Cool Smoke; he typically competes on the Kansas City Barbecue Society circuit instead of contests sanctioned by the Memphis Barbecue Network.

He's a changed man.

"I'm completely convinced that Memphis barbecue is the way to go," he said.

Quote is from an interview after the 2010 MIM WCBBQ. :)

deguerre
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Redhot and I don't compete but we'll definitely be paying you guys a visit this year! Love your set-up.:thumb:

Warthog
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Wife and I drove down last year and a great time. Good luck to all those competing.
Ed

Lake Dogs
01-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Is MIM not a qualifier? I guess I'm showing my age... Maybe now it's
only the MBN Championship in Jackson GA that's a qualifier...

There are a few things I like about KCBS (like Brisket for example),
but really to me there's just no comparison, and I wont go into details
because the KCBS purists will be offended and I certainly mean no
offense, it's just our preference. We're pretty much just pork and
ribs (no additional cooker for whole hog) right now. I made a HUGE
mistake and basically outsourced ribs last time to a friend. Never
again. I'll just suck-it-up and deal with the headaches myself (both).

Unfortunately small funding here, 100% by yours truly, so we'll probably
just do Stone Mountain and Deep Roots this year. I dont plan on any
recipe changes as we've landed on the same table at the GC now a
few times and gotten 9.9's to their 10's. We're close, just need a break.
That, and we have to work on the temperature, particularly of the ribs,
for on site. Cool (temps) ribs just dont work. Lost 2 key/critical team
members so we're recruiting...

I would LOVE to run in to Yazoo's!

Yazoo's
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Memphis in May is a stand alone contest and not affiliated with the Memphis BBQ Network (MBN). It's an open contest- i.e. anyone can enter and the only guaranteed acceptance teams come from those who finished in the top 10 in the 3 main categories of the previous year- the rest are assigned on a "random drawing". Typically, there are several teams that send entries in but do not get to compete due to not enough space- that could be much worse as the park is undergoing construction and may not have quite as much room as in years past.

MBN has a championship every year (last year was in Macon, GA) and the site rotates yearly. This year it is slated for the fall in Southaven MS. Again, though you can get a guaranteed entry by winning a contest (note- not a FREE entry), in practice anyone with a team can enter.

Memphis in May is a truly glorious pain in the butt. Load in is a pain, load out is a pain, getting supplies are a pain, etc. However, it is the absolute coolest event out there- walk around on a Friday night and you will understand what I mean.

It's expensive, the odds are against you, but it is a must do if you compete in BBQ.

msavard
01-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Memphis in May is a stand alone contest and not affiliated with the Memphis BBQ Network (MBN). It's an open contest- i.e. anyone can enter and the only guaranteed acceptance teams come from those who finished in the top 10 in the 3 main categories of the previous year- the rest are assigned on a "random drawing". Typically, there are several teams that send entries in but do not get to compete due to not enough space- that could be much worse as the park is undergoing construction and may not have quite as much room as in years past.

MBN has a championship every year (last year was in Macon, GA) and the site rotates yearly. This year it is slated for the fall in Southaven MS. Again, though you can get a guaranteed entry by winning a contest (note- not a FREE entry), in practice anyone with a team can enter.

Memphis in May is a truly glorious pain in the butt. Load in is a pain, load out is a pain, getting supplies are a pain, etc. However, it is the absolute coolest event out there- walk around on a Friday night and you will understand what I mean.

It's expensive, the odds are against you, but it is a must do if you compete in BBQ.

What Pete said! Load-in is a huge cluster####... no doubt about that. That said, once your stuff is there and you and your teammates are spending a day or two getting everything laid out...taking periodic breaks to tip a beer back or walk around your area to check out other folks' stuff and meet the other teams... it's totally worth it.

Regarding the construction... I have heard through the grapevine locally (some connections downtown) that the contractors have a clause that requires the fencing to be retracted to the previous spot by the start of May to enable the park to stay the same size. There are supposedly some stiff penalties if they don't free up that space on time. Hopefully it won't impact BBQfest as, like you stated, it could cut already precious real estate a bit.

Pete, your team's reputation obviously preceeds you. Good to bump into you on the forums here. You guys should make sure to swing by our spot on your Friday walk... preferably when the band is playing (between 5-8 this year I beleive). Should be worth your time. Come in and ask for me (Matt) and I'll get you guys taken care of. :thumb:

2Fat
01-13-2011, 09:41 PM
visited MIM last year for the 1st time-not the last for sure-wish I had the funding(and energy) to compete in MBN style contests--in my limited experience that format is pretty darn nice! Nothing like a contest along the Mississippi River--that park is pretty nice--even in the rain and mud---and it is only a short walk to Gus's Fried Chicken!!

dmprantz
01-13-2011, 09:59 PM
From what I understand, it used to not be so bad, but with Music Fest growing larger and larger and there now always being rain that weekend, it just destroys TLP. I remember watching Beck and Dylan when it was dry. May have rained for John Lee Hooker, The Black Crowes, and Greg Allman. By the time BBQ shows up, TLP is already destroyed: Like plaing in the post season on natural grass.

dmp

Big Butt BBQ
01-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ will be competing again this year in the shoulder category. Stop by and share a cold one.

Yazoo's
01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Last year the park wasn't too bad, and the new load in procedures were actually an improvement. 2009 was a miserable experience with rain every day- they dumped 900,000 lbs of sand through the park over that week. Thanks for the invite Matt. We usually get stuck at our site though, especially on Friday.

Iamarealbigdog
01-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Considering giving this a shot this year, it's a hefty price of admission. Not sure about crossing over from KCBS style. I don’t get doing just one entry, am I missing something there...

Mike

The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

dmprantz
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think you're missing anything, it's just the way MIM is done. Each entry is a seperate competition, with GC going to the best overall. Some MBN comps allow entry in all three, some allow entry in all three if you pay to enter three times, and MIM allows only one. They even segregate you so that all the Hog, Shoulder, and Rib teams are together. Last year if you were on a Shoulder team and wanted to say hi to a Rib team, better have on comfy shoes! Remember that the total meat outlay for each category is signifigantly higher than KCBS, and in addition to blind turn-ins you have three on-site shows, which take up some time.

dmp

msavard
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Remember that the total meat outlay for each category is signifigantly higher than KCBS, and in addition to blind turn-ins you have three on-site shows, which take up some time.

Plus extra for finals if you're lucky....

SmokeInDaEye
01-14-2011, 02:45 PM

What do you and Melissa know about MIM? :heh: http://www.youtube.com/smokeindaeye#p/u/15/HvR-gf8zQ9s

I'll be there again this year, not cooking just hanging out with whoever will have me!

msavard
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Considering giving this a shot this year, it's a hefty price of admission. Not sure about crossing over from KCBS style. I donít get doing just one entry, am I missing something there...

Mike

The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

If you're looking to do multiple cooks at MIM then look into some of the ancillaries. That said, MIM is a much more social event with a caliber of party that rivals the caliber of 'que. Thursday and Friday nights are flat out nuts. Think Mardis Gras.

If the festivities and amazing people watching/socializing mean nothing to you... then consider it's on the banks (literally) of the MS river with a fantastic view of the skyline/bridge/river/etc. If THAT does nothing then come down just to see if you can hang with the caliber of cooks that are here :becky:

TooSaucedToPork
01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Well if it aint Slab Yo Mama...What up guys, finally decided to join the forum heh? All of us at Too Sauced To Pork / Swinebucks will be at MIM, hopefully right around the corner from ya again.

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster
Too Sauced To Pork

dmprantz
01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
The funny thing Neil is that you invited me to be on your team last year, and I passed it up, but I shouldn't have. The really funny thing is that my wife and I have known you and DZ for over 15 years, and I was just thinking about you yesterday when I had lunch at KFC....I had no idea that you had moved to Buffalo.

dmp

smokinit
01-14-2011, 08:04 PM
We are there again also just got it all arranged. We should have a new trailer set up and a new scaffolding high rise built cant wait. Took second in Red Sauce last year watch out first place. Stop on by one and all!!!

TooSaucedToPork
01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
The funny thing Neil is that you invited me to be on your team last year, and I passed it up, but I shouldn't have. The really funny thing is that my wife and I have known you and DZ for over 15 years, and I was just thinking about you yesterday when I had lunch at KFC....I had no idea that you had moved to Buffalo.

dmp

dmprantz??? HEHE Daniel Pomerantz How the hell are ya buddy? Yup I'm up here in the frozen tundra...its cool though. Come on over and be a part of the team this year...the invite is still good brother

Neil

Yazoo's
01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
What do you and Melissa know about MIM? :heh: http://www.youtube.com/smokeindaeye#p/u/15/HvR-gf8zQ9s

I'll be there again this year, not cooking just hanging out with whoever will have me!

Come on down- We probably will have some catering, but we always make sure to have a spot to "get away from the crazy"- a lot of folks make our site a "home base" type of deal.

Yazoo's
01-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Considering giving this a shot this year, it's a hefty price of admission. Not sure about crossing over from KCBS style. I donít get doing just one entry, am I missing something there...

Mike

The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

Come on down, Memphis in May would love to add another international team!

On the one category, it's a Memphis style tradition. KCBS rewards all around excellence, Memphis in May and MBN style contests reward a superior product- Kind of like "best in show." One can argue which is better, we like both styles. If you are an adrenaline junkie, there is nothing like making the finals (top three in each category) at a Memphis-style contest. It is the only type of contest where you can actually beat someone else- not just score better.

Iamarealbigdog
01-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Ok so what's the favorite at MIM sides or back ribs.

Not cooking side ribs in the south sometimes haunts us as we primarally cook backs... Any thoughts there?

Mike

The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

msavard
01-17-2011, 09:08 AM
MIM Is almost exclusively Babybacks/loinbacks.

I personally enjoy a well trimmed spare more but ya gotta cook to the judges.

msavard
01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Well if it aint Slab Yo Mama...What up guys, finally decided to join the forum heh? All of us at Too Sauced To Pork / Swinebucks will be at MIM, hopefully right around the corner from ya again.

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster
Too Sauced To Pork

How's it going Neil! Yep it was a good time being around the corner from you guys last year. Nice setup as always! This year we're gonna get a slot along the river I'm thinking. I'll keep ya posted!

msavard
01-17-2011, 09:14 AM
We are there again also just got it all arranged. We should have a new trailer set up and a new scaffolding high rise built cant wait. Took second in Red Sauce last year watch out first place. Stop on by one and all!!!

Congrats on the strong finish!

Who are you guys using for your scaffolding setup? Classic? What are they charging you (if you don't mind me asking)? I've got a meeting with RedBull wednesday to finalize our sponsorship arrangement and they had mentioned potentially wanting to go to 2-3 stories (we typically just utilize the 2nd story of our trailer) and i wanted to have some numbers in mind.

Thanks!

Sawdustguy
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I sure wish there was a MBN event somewhere in the New York Metropolitan area. I would love to try something other than a KCBS contest as a change of pace.

Hawg Father of Seoul
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Slap Yo Momma,

Do we need to prepurchase anything or can we just show up and take care of everything then. Really would like to make it to your site and enjoy the music, ect.

Thanks

msavard
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Slap Yo Momma,

Do we need to prepurchase anything or can we just show up and take care of everything then. Really would like to make it to your site and enjoy the music, ect.

Thanks

There are no fees associated with entering any specific tents at BBQfest. It's simply a matter of getting an invite. Entering the park itself involves a ticket purchase that goes to the festival. I believe they're $8/day and there is no re-entry (unless you have a 3-day wristband pass).

Shoot me a PM with your name and I'll add you+1 to our guest list that the bouncer will have on hand. Our tent is pretty jammed at night but during the day it's a little easier to get in and check things out.

Oh and be careful when looking for us... at MIM there are several similar teams:
Slab Yo Mama - Us
SlapJo Mama - Crappy knockoff team
Slap Yo Daddy - Harry Soo

TooSaucedToPork
01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
If you are interested in joining a team - There are several teams that are currently accepting new members for BBQ Fest...A few I know of are The Ques Brothers, The AdRibbers, The Chauvinist Pig and us, Too Sauced To Pork. The God's honest truth is, and I believe everyone will agree with me on this, the best way to enjoy this festival is on a team...

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork / Swinebucks BBQ
Memphis TN - Buffalo NY

TooSaucedToPork
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Congrats on the strong finish!

Who are you guys using for your scaffolding setup? Classic? What are they charging you (if you don't mind me asking)? I've got a meeting with RedBull wednesday to finalize our sponsorship arrangement and they had mentioned potentially wanting to go to 2-3 stories (we typically just utilize the 2nd story of our trailer) and i wanted to have some numbers in mind.

Thanks!

As per MIM Rules, only Classic Party Rentals is allowed to rent structures, flooring, and tents for BBQ Fest. They have an exclusive contract

Big Butt BBQ
01-19-2011, 05:46 AM
Neil,

Will MIM give me the same area I had last year if I request it?

Thanks
Ed

BoneDaddy's
01-19-2011, 07:17 AM
Neil,

You working on getting us invites to these great parties :-)

-Frank

MiM - Poultry & Sauce

msavard
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Neil,

Thanks
Ed

I don't believe it works that way unfortunately.

msavard
01-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Just got back from our meeting with RedBull. They are on board.

They will be providing:
• Furnishings (Redbull Fridges, high top cocktail tables, etc)
• Unlimited Supply of Redbull (starting with 40 Cases on Wednesday and dropping off as much as we need daily).
• Funding the band and DJ as "presenting sponsors"

In exchange we agree to not serve any other energy drinks and let a few of the reps in to party

Red Bull & Vodka is officially on the open bar.
(hopefully Sobieski..contacting the distribution co now)

Swinebuck
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
I am glad to see our former team mates at Slab Yo' Mama joining this forum. (Neil and I were members of Slab Yo' Mama before we formed our oun team). As my son Neil said earlier Too Sauced To Pork / Swinebucks BBQ Team will be at MIM in a much larger area. We now have more members and require at least a 26' X 40' space. Maybe we can have Slab Yo' Mamas old spot if they are moving to the river side. Last year we were crowded but everyone got along great!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m585/swinebucks/BoothReady.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m585/swinebucks/Booth32.jpg

One thing that is unusual about our team is for the past four years we have opened out membership to members of this and other BBQ forums so that they might have the opportunity to cook at MIM. The money required to compete in MIM is so large very few KCBS two man teams can afford to enter. This year we have forum members from all over the country joining us to cook the ancillary contests or just party and have a good time. I hope you will follow us on our Face book page. There are photos, videos, and membership information.

Thanks
Mike Gallagher

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Too-Sauced-To-Pork/337985995846?ref=mf

msavard
01-19-2011, 08:28 PM
One thing that is unusual about our team is for the past four years we have opened out membership to members of this and other BBQ forums so that they might have the opportunity to cook at MIM. The money required to compete in MIM is so large very few KCBS two man teams can afford to enter. This year we have forum members from all over the country joining us to cook the ancillary contests or just party and have a good time. I hope you will follow us on our Face book page. There are photos, videos, and membership information.

Thanks
Mike Gallagher

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Too-Sauced-To-Pork/337985995846?ref=mf
:clap2:

To those who aren't familiar, Swinebucks is a very solid, well respected team at MIM and for them to leave their team open to the BBQ Community like this is a fantastic opportunity that anyone who's on the fence should JUMP at.

Seriously.

Very cool of you guys to do this.

TooSaucedToPork
01-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Neil,

Thanks
Ed

You can ask...they gave us the same spot 2 years in a row a few years ago...

Neil

Iamarealbigdog
01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Ok guys I have another stupid question that I am struggling with... We are thinking of doing the whole hog or the ribs. Somebody had told me that you might want to cook 3 hogs, I don't have the gear for that I can cook one hog.

Smonbody also just told me that all the meat must come form the same hog for all blind and onsite judges and that teams cook three hogs just to have a selection of which hog to use.

How many teams cook just one hog, would I be killing myself for putting everything into one hog...?

If we go with ribs why is it that MBN events are two bone peices, WTF

Frack this cross over thing from KCBS is nuts...

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario
www.theblackpigbbq.com (http://www.theblackpigbbq.com)

Big Tom
01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok guys I have another stupid question that I am struggling with... We are thinking of doing the whole hog or the ribs. Somebody had told me that you might want to cook 3 hogs, I don't have the gear for that I can cook one hog.

Smonbody also just told me that all the meat must come form the same hog for all blind and onsite judges and that teams cook three hogs just to have a selection of which hog to use.

How many teams cook just one hog, would I be killing myself for putting everything into one hog...?

You can be successful with a single hog, Myron Mixon/Jacks Old South only cooks one hog for the contest. We were next to him in 2008 when he won GC with a single hog (180+lbs). Yazoo's may offer some more advice on the number of hogs from their experience.

Our team cooked two that year with the same philosphy of having a choice. We had one over done, and one that was just right by awards that evening. We did have a sponsor that year that bought our hogs or we probably would have done a single.

My $.02 on the two-bone ribs: I think they have evolved from the earlier years of MIM/MBN judges training. The judges were taught to pull the bones apart to help test doneness. By pulling the two bones apart the judge can see how much resistance there is with the meat comming off the bone without mashing or biting the meat. Another advantage of the two-bone presentation is the smaller BB/LB ribs will have more mass to retain heat while waiting in the blind box.

Our team went the other way a few years ago and met with all the challenges of learning what works best in KCBS.

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario

Best of Luck, enjoy!

Yazoo's
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario

Many teams cook one hog, some cook more. I saw a guy cook 10 one year. Really a preferance thing. Last year we did all of our judging from 1 hog.

On ribs, most teams cook Loin backs in MIM comps. Also, no garnish. So a 2 bone cut of loin backs looks better and is more stable in a box than 1 bones. I have occasionally heard of people finaling with 1 bone cuts in MBN competitions- it's not a rule just a predominate practice.

TooSaucedToPork
01-22-2011, 12:25 PM

To those who aren't familiar, Swinebucks is a very solid, well respected team at MIM and for them to leave their team open to the BBQ Community like this is a fantastic opportunity that anyone who's on the fence should JUMP at.

Seriously.

Very cool of you guys to do this.

AWWW Shucks guys thanks for the complement, Ya'll don't do too bad either with that top 10 ribs finish last year...I got a shot of Jameson for ya when I see ya'll in May :-D

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork BBQ
Memphis TN - Buffalo NY

msavard
01-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Teaser>>>

THIS KID (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUWf_MZ8e0) (aka Reba Russell's lead) will be our 3rd gun at the Friday Sunset Acoustic Blues session at the Slab yo Mama tent. He will be accompanying Patrick Dodd (200+ Gigs a year on Beale St) and Kirk Smithhart (Lead for N Mississippi All Stars and youngest winner ever of the Albert King Award).

Shhhh we're going to have to be *******s about who gets in the tent and who listens from outside... crowds are going to be sick

TooSaucedToPork
01-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Teaser>>>

THIS KID (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUWf_MZ8e0)(aka Reba Russell's lead) will be our 3rd gun at the Friday Sunset Acoustic Blues session at the Slab yo Mama tent. He will be accompanying Patrick Dodd (200+ Gigs a year on Beale St) and Kirk Smithhart (Lead for N Mississippi All Stars and youngest winner ever of the Albert King Award).

Shhhh we're going to have to be *******s about who gets in the tent and who listens from outside... crowds are going to be sick

Hey guys, I thought in the Memphis in May rulebook it states that no live bands or entertainment can be booked in a team tent... Hopefully they changed it. Just looking out for ya'll :-)

TooSaucedToPork
01-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Yup, found it...Its #13 in the 2010 rules book - Under "Prohibited Items and Actions" - states - "No live music will be allowed in the individual team areas at anytime during the event." I remember in '08 the powers that be pulled the plug on a team that had a two man band playing live. I'd check with them before booking so you don't lose yo money if the man shuts you down :-)

Smokin' Hicks
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
How much is the entry fee?

dmprantz
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
If you're asking about the comp itself, it starts at $625 for basic entry and junk fee. More for bigger spaces, and $60 per ancillary. There's another $125 deposit that you don't get back if you don't clean up. Patio porker is $50 less, and I'm not sure if you can do ancillary.

http://www.memphisinmay.org/assets/1227/2011_wcbcc_entry_form_revised.pdf

dmp

TooSaucedToPork
01-24-2011, 10:13 PM
How much is the entry fee?

Depends on the booth size as D said. Patio are allowed ancillary contests.

10 ancillary in all. Seafood, Beef, Poultry, Exotic, Hotwings, Coleslaw, Tomato Sauce, Vinegar Sauce, Mustard Sauce, and Peoples Choice.

3 pork categories (you can only pick one to cook in) Ribs, Shoulder, Whole Hog.

Plus you gotta pay for electricity, porto johns, grounding of your tent, etc etc...

We will be spending $3001 before the April cooks meeting...
Spot + electricity + portojohn + deposit + ancillary contests

another $4-5000 when we set foot on our spot :-)

Craziness heh????:twitch::loco:

Neil Gallagher
Memphis TN - Buffalo NY

Smokin' Hicks
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
HOLY ****!!!!!
i have only done 3 competitions, i don't think i am ready to drop that kind of money just yet.

TooSaucedToPork
01-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Hehe, if you feel like driving down from MO and checking it out let us know. There are 6-7 of us on here that do it every year, and it is like nothin you have ever seen. Mardi Gras + BBQ

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork

msavard
02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Yup, found it...Its #13 in the 2010 rules book - Under "Prohibited Items and Actions" - states - "No live music will be allowed in the individual team areas at anytime during the event." I remember in '08 the powers that be pulled the plug on a team that had a two man band playing live. I'd check with them before booking so you don't lose yo money if the man shuts you down :-)

Thanks for checking that out. Fingers crossed, it wasn't a problem last year. Don't anticipate it being an issue this year unless we get next to some serious jackasses. We spoke to one of the organizers before the festival last year and she said that while it's technically against the rules, those rules are merely there to protect other other teams. The only way they'll really enforce anything is if you're annoying your neighbors and they report you.

People came from several tents around to listen last year. We keep it reasonable volume-wise and they only play acoustic in an effort to keep it low key. Fingers crossed. You guys should definitely make it a point to swing by if you can. It'll be pretty impressive. :thumb:

msavard
02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Hehe, if you feel like driving down from MO and checking it out let us know. There are 6-7 of us on here that do it every year, and it is like nothin you have ever seen. Mardi Gras + BBQ

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork

:thumb:

What Neil said.

It's not cheap. We're going 26x50 on the River this year. I think it's 2600 bucks just for the lot. No tent, no entry fees, no floors, no power, no ice, nothing. That's for the dirt. Crazy.

TooSaucedToPork
02-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for checking that out. Fingers crossed, it wasn't a problem last year. Don't anticipate it being an issue this year unless we get next to some serious jackasses. We spoke to one of the organizers before the festival last year and she said that while it's technically against the rules, those rules are merely there to protect other other teams. The only way they'll really enforce anything is if you're annoying your neighbors and they report you.

People came from several tents around to listen last year. We keep it reasonable volume-wise and they only play acoustic in an effort to keep it low key. Fingers crossed. You guys should definitely make it a point to swing by if you can. It'll be pretty impressive. :thumb:

Awesome, didn't want ya'll to lose out on the cash :-) We will be there...

Neil

Ponderosa BBQ
02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
Any team out there who needs an extra pair of hands to help I just want to experience the whole mim thang :) I'm jumping in next year for sure!

Ponderosa BBQ
02-26-2011, 08:28 AM
If in need facebook me also

quarters69
02-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Hey big moe! Are coming down to the strassenfest at jasper indiana this year??? We were set up to you last year, Thanks for showing us the colt ford songs, love it. Hopefully we will see you this year. PM me your email and we can keep in touch. Thanks Keith

getyourrubonbbq
02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Would this be a nice fit for MIM/MBN presentations?

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185648_1829661950762_1516743286_1923263_1710551_n. jpg

Ulcer Acres
02-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Twyford BBQ will be in MIM this year. And we are looking forward to it. We have done a couple MIM contest and really enjoyed it. James, you can send that trailer down with us.

drbbq
02-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I sent in my entry fees and I have my fingers crossed. I've attended quite a few times but this would be the first time I've cooked. Anybody care to show me a pic of a rib blind box? Preferably one that won something? PM if you want.

Scottie
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Man I'd love to help out a whole hog master like yourself Randy. Do you need any help? Your presentation would be outstanding and I'd probably have to wear some big boots for the amount of BS that you will be selling.

Twyford BBQ will be in MIM this year. And we are looking forward to it. We have done a couple MIM contest and really enjoyed it. James, you can send that trailer down with us.

Iamarealbigdog
02-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I sent in my entry fees and I have my fingers crossed. I've attended quite a few times but this would be the first time I've cooked. Anybody care to show me a pic of a rib blind box? Preferably one that won something? PM if you want.

you and me both....

Money is in and waiting for the draw.:thumb:

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

TooSaucedToPork
02-27-2011, 01:02 PM
If in need facebook me also

We are accepting new members for MIM, you can join us if you like...

Neil Gallagher
Memphis TN, Buffalo NY
901-634-2518

Yazoo's
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
FYI- Tomorrow (Monday, 2-28-11) is the deadline to enter the contest (if they haven't already filled up).

Ponderosa BBQ
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Just left you a phone message Neil from too sauced pork.

Iamarealbigdog
03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
For us newbies that have to apply, it notes that the decision with e made March 7th. I assume letters are posted, is there any advance listing or posting on the net...?

cheers

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario

Yazoo's
03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
They usually will send you a packet as well as listing teams on their website. They will post a map of the site later on- probably April. Stay patient, Memphis works at their own pace- though last year they were Johnny-on-the-spot with info.

TooSaucedToPork
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
They posted to their Facebook today that they are currently drawing up the map, so I guess that means teams will be getting our letters soon!

Neil
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

msavard
03-10-2011, 11:18 PM
We're eager to find out where we're at. I know we're guaranteed a 26x50 on the river this year. Just hoping it's in a good location.

Good luck on you guys' spot too Neil!

vexter1
03-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I'll be there again this year with the Norwegian National BBQ Team - they are a RIOT to hang with and I really enjoy cooking with them. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work at MIM - but the people are great and it's a whole other feeling from KCBS style contests. I got to present last year for the first time ever - it was a lot of fun and I liked talking to the judges. Swing on by and say hi at the Norwegian camp, besides David Klose, I'll be the one speaking English ;) LOL!

Yazoo's
03-11-2011, 07:35 AM
I'll be there again this year with the Norwegian National BBQ Team - they are a RIOT to hang with and I really enjoy cooking with them. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work at MIM - but the people are great and it's a whole other feeling from KCBS style contests. I got to present last year for the first time ever - it was a lot of fun and I liked talking to the judges. Swing on by and say hi at the Norwegian camp, besides David Klose, I'll be the one speaking English ;) LOL!

Those Norwegians are a cool group! One of their local coordinators came to a rib class we gave a couple of years ago. We went down to their booth to follow up/answer questions- They proceeded to lay some pretty awesome appetizers on us- I'll never look at salmon the same!

Good luck!

TooSaucedToPork
03-11-2011, 07:32 PM
I love hanging with you and the Norwegians Shannon...great group of people!

Good Luck this year!

TooSaucedToPork
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
We're eager to find out where we're at. I know we're guaranteed a 26x50 on the river this year. Just hoping it's in a good location.

Good luck on you guys' spot too Neil!

Thanks man! We got a 26x50 also -

It would be one hell of a party if we got back to back...

Here's to hoping

Neil

Yazoo's
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Got our acceptance letter in mail today. Packets with maps and team site numbers will be sent out next week.

vexter1
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I love hanging with you and the Norwegians Shannon...great group of people!

Good Luck this year!

Same to you Neil!! We love seeing you guys - you've got some REAL characters on your team that ALWAYS get me laughing!

I'm really looking forward to it this year - can't wait to see everyone again soon!

vexter1
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Those Norwegians are a cool group! One of their local coordinators came to a rib class we gave a couple of years ago. We went down to their booth to follow up/answer questions- They proceeded to lay some pretty awesome appetizers on us- I'll never look at salmon the same!

Good luck!

Thanks!! I appreciate that!! They got some serious cooks aboard, they turn out some serious grub, there's no doubt! I think my parents fought over the last of the salmon they had from them that I brought home. Loved it!!

Looking forward to seeing y'all again this year!!

TooSaucedToPork
03-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Got our bid today! Too Sauced is in it to win it!

Neil

Iamarealbigdog
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
The mail can take an extre 2 weeks to get to Canada, so we are sitting on the fence for official word... However they were quick to charge my visa for the lot deposit on March 1

Nothing but the wind in the mail box for now...

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

TooSaucedToPork
03-14-2011, 10:14 PM
The mail can take an extre 2 weeks to get to Canada, so we are sitting on the fence for official word... However they were quick to charge my visa for the lot deposit on March 1

Nothing but the wind in the mail box for now...

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ
London Ontario Canada

Hey, you guys are not that far from me...From our experience with MIM contest - If they charged you, you are in brother...

Neil

msavard
03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Turns out we got our letter yesterday too. I was hoping for a booth number and map but, alas, they always wait for the last minute on those...

Greaseland Porker
03-16-2011, 02:51 AM
Got our packet today. The Greaseland Porkers will be there, ribs. This will be our 13th year at this comp. Can't beat the fun and friends. Look forward to seeing brethren members and may have a Team shirt or two to give.

Sawdustguy
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I am very interested in the MBN after cooking KCBS contests for a number of years. Where can I find the official rules for the MBN? I am considering cooking the MBN event in Vermont.

msavard
03-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I am very interested in the MBN after cooking KCBS contests for a number of years. Where can I find the official rules for the MBN? I am considering cooking the MBN event in Vermont.

Cook meat over fire.
PUt Meat In Box and carry to tent.
Serve other meat to judges while telling lies
Drink Excessively.

Iamarealbigdog
03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Cook meat over fire.
PUt Meat In Box and carry to tent.
Serve other meat to judges while telling lies
Drink Excessively.

Not in any particular order..... and I'm sure a few are repeated

Got the letter, we're in... hopefull we can kick back some decent results...

msavard
03-16-2011, 03:01 PM
I'd definitely like to work a shirt swap with any Brethren teams who are doing team shirts for the event. I love BBQfest shirts and generally try to stock up on them.

TooSaucedToPork
03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I'd definitely like to work a shirt swap with any Brethren teams who are doing team shirts for the event. I love BBQfest shirts and generally try to stock up on them.

I'll swap one of ours if you are interested...

Neil

msavard
03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I'll swap one of ours if you are interested...

Neil

:thumb:

drbbq
03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm in!
What's the deal with the mandatory cooks meeting April 9th in Memphis?

Iamarealbigdog
03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm in!

Just for first time teams..... Ugh...:tsk:

Mike
The Black Pig BBQ

drbbq
03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm a first time team but I'm in Florida.

Yazoo's
03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm in!

It's not mandatory. Probably 90% of the out of town teams don't come to it. You will get a packet next week (probably) with your site assignment, map, general info, vendor info (you can buy almost anything you need down there), rental info, etc. Included with this will be a sheet detailing what ancillaries you are entered into- if you want to change or add anything you have to make changes by April 9. If you are not going to the meeting just sign it that it's correct and mail it back.

If you are buying extra wristbands, you can order them and pick them up at the meeting if you go- if not they will mail them to you.

Also- it's a cooks meeting in name only, there is no information about the cooking part of the contest at the "meeting". There is a cook's meeting (seperate ones for each category) at the contest.

drbbq
03-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Pete.

Bell Bottoms BBQ
03-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I have been told that 13 teams didn't get an acceptance letter for MIM 2011 due to space issues. We have been put on a waiting list or "B" List. They are trying to find spots to put the other teams.. but we may not make it in.:mad2:

msavard
03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I have been told that 13 teams didn't get an acceptance letter for MIM 2011 due to space issues. We have been put on a waiting list or "B" List. They are trying to find spots to put the other teams.. but we may not make it in.:mad2:

Yeah that damn riverfront park they're building is cutting into Tom Lee park pretty significantly.

msavard
03-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I just set up a Twitter feed @slabyomama
FOLLOW US AT: http://www.twitter.com/slabyomama

I will be posting updates / pictures throughout the event. Setup, Daytime Party, Nighttime Party, Cooking, Judging, Tent-Hopping, Breakdown.... the whole 9 yards. If you want to live vicariously through a BBQfest team member and experience MIM from the inside... subscribe.

DISCLAIMER: There will be drunk posting... assume PG-13/R rating on this feed. Pictures/Content might not be suitable for those with delicate sensibilities.

Iamarealbigdog
03-24-2011, 03:54 PM
I just set up a Twitter feed @slabyomama
FOLLOW US AT: http://www.twitter.com/slabyomama

DISCLAIMER: There will be drunk posting... assume PG-13/R rating on this feed. Pictures/Content might not be suitable for those with delicate sensibilities.

I'm a little concerned about this, at the Jack what happens in the hollow stays in the hollow.:tape:

Does this mean that we have to be on better behaviour:doh:

However if we go on the twitter account and see something interesting... Can we come a running...

msavard
03-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Certain aspects of the part will not be privy to twitter coverage... count on that. However... it will be a good insight into the fun (and not so fun) of hosting a large scale BBQfest party for several hundred of your closest friends and sponsors.

I guess since most of the folks in Competition Que forum here are used to a slightly more subdued, serious approach and aren't as familiar with the onsite-judging process... a little documentation might be of interest. We'll see.

That and any party that goes through 20 kegs, a full bar and is kept going by live music and a DJ usually produces some entertaining photos. ;)

TooSaucedToPork
03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
True dat

Bell Bottoms BBQ
03-28-2011, 11:29 PM
We made it in, got the letter this past Friday!:-D

Big Butt BBQ
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Congrats

See you there

drbbq
03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm practicing today and made these ribs. I understand that I need to trim the strip of meat that goes across the top and I did but this creates a bunch of shiners. Any way to avoid this? I'm planning on a thin glaze but I think they'll still show through. All help is appreciated.

TooSaucedToPork
03-29-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm practicing today and made these ribs. I understand that I need to trim the strip of meat that goes across the top and I did but this creates a bunch of shiners. Any way to avoid this? I'm planning on a thin glaze but I think they'll still show through. All help is appreciated.

Some trim the backstrap, some teams dont. I've known teams that win at MIM without trimming off the strap. When I trim it, i shave it off about 1/2 way through, leaving some meat to cover the shiners.

Best trick for MIM: If something goes wrong put the best looking in the blind box, and you can talk the rest up to the onsite judges. a LITTLE b.s. goes a LONG way at MIM :-)

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

msavard
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
We made it in, got the letter this past Friday!:-D

Congrats!

msavard
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Some trim the backstrap, some teams dont. I've known teams that win at MIM without trimming off the strap. When I trim it, i shave it off about 1/2 way through, leaving some meat to cover the shiners.

Best trick for MIM: If something goes wrong put the best looking in the blind box, and you can talk the rest up to the onsite judges. a LITTLE b.s. goes a LONG way at MIM :-)

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Neil is 100% on spot with this one. :thumb:

We finally got confirmation that Bardog will indeed be providing the 20 Kegs yet again this year to support our party. They had been tough to pin down up till this point and we were starting to sweat a little.

Also, it appears we likely have landed a real-estate industry sponsor for the $5-10k range that will take a LOT of financial pressure off us. We were starting to sweat a little. We always make it work, it's just a lot easier wehn you've got a little extra cash so you don't have to cut as many corners. Thankfully this seems to be in the bag.

Food items appear to be lined up to be donated as well. Typically we'll go through a good 4-5 cases of ribs and lord knows how many cases of shoulder (plus slaw, potato salad, beans, rolls, etc etc etc). That helps a ton as well.

If the Sobieski Vodka sponsorship comes thought we'll be in fantastic shape...

Now.. the question is to install the putting green or not... we just gotta find a way to not have it interfere with the cornhole tournament area. :becky:

Iamarealbigdog
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
we just gotta find a way to not have it interfere with the cornhole tournament area. :becky:

:eek::eek::eek::scared:

I hope that is a regional interpretation of a bean bag toss... :doh:

msavard
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
:eek::eek::eek::scared:

I hope that is a regional interpretation of a bean bag toss... :doh:

It started up in the Iowa area but it's called cornhole most everywhere nowadays...

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cornhole&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And yes... it's bags/bagtoss. Pretty much the ultimate friday afternoon drinking game.

Diva Q
03-31-2011, 02:29 AM
I'll be coming down to MIM for the first time hanging with a team. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone and experiencing MIM for the first time.

TooSaucedToPork
03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
I'll be coming down to MIM for the first time hanging with a team. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone and experiencing MIM for the first time.

Awesome! If you make it by ribs, please stop on in for a cold adult beverage! Hopefully we will see you there!

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ
Buffalo NY - Memphis TN

Swinebuck
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
The Team packet came yesterday and Too Sauced To Pork is in booth R-119. The list should be comming out soon.
Thanks
Mike G
Swinebuck

msavard
04-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Looks like we're at R-35 this year. Mid park riverside. If the map holds true to last year It looks like we'll be about 10-15 tents north of the judging tent. Sweet.

Ulcer Acres
04-03-2011, 10:08 PM
So what you are saying, is if you are a new team this year you do not have to go to the cooks meeting on April 9th? I am like Dr. BBQ, just wanting to make sure.

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
So what you are saying, is if you are a new team this year you do not have to go to the cooks meeting on April 9th? I am like Dr. BBQ, just wanting to make sure.

Since the first cooks meeting is April 9th, most Out of Town teams won't be able to make it. You need to look at the packet that is being sent to you and make some decisions and get iot in the mail BEFORE the cooks meeting April 9TH.

Decisions to make:
How many 3 day wristbands should we buy
How many Wed. night tickets should we buy
Should we enter any more ancillary contests

I will do another post on timelines of things needing to be turned in before the contest.

Neil Gallagher
Too Sauced To Pork BBQ

Yazoo's
04-04-2011, 07:19 AM

There is no reason to go to the meeting in April. For a local team, it saves you some postage, and allows MIM to get a bunch of paperwork done at once without having to open all those envelopes. It's really just a convenience meeting.

You should have received (or will today or tomorrow) your initial MIM packet. It will have your team site, a map of the park, rental price sheets, some rules/regs, etc. It will have a couple of sheets you have to sign and return (hold harmless agreement, etc.) It will also have an official sheet with everything you have entered- double check to make sure they have you in the right categories, your space is what you paid for, etc. It's also the last chance if you want to add some ancillary contests. Mail them back the sheets and you are done. Most out of town teams do all this throught the mail. We are at a contest this weekend so we will just mail stuff back as well.

You can handle the portajohn rental, power selection, floor and tent rental (if you want), and ice machine rental (if you want- several teams rent these if they are feeding a lot of people, turn it down into a big refrigerator) via mail. Definitely try to get these things done and in the mail in the next couple of weeks. Most of the rental items have a deadline well ahead of the contest, so check.

You will get other info from MIM pretty soon. They will also assign you an ambassador- a local volunteer. They will call you soon. They can help you with some items if needed, or info. Most of the time the ambassadors are very experienced with MIM, but occasionally you get a newbie.

If you need anything let us know. Melissa and I are local so we can help you out.

Ulcer Acres
04-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for all your help, I sure appreciate it. We have not got our team packet yet, maybe in todays mail? I have gotten the rental stuff and will get it in. When I get the team packet I may have some more questions. I wondered about the cooks meeting, I just did not want to screw around and have some problems. Thanks a bunch.

msavard
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
If any teams won't be purchasing/using their full allotment of 24hr team wristbands we're going to need a few extras.

Please let me know and we'd love to buy them from you. Not sure on the quantity we're going to need just yet but I should know in the next day or so. We're willing to pay $50-75 each or barter for hard goods (ie cases of redbull, Slab Yo Mama T shirts, etc)

Many thanks!

TooSaucedToPork
04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
If any teams won't be purchasing/using their full allotment of 24hr team wristbands we're going to need a few extras.

Please let me know and we'd love to buy them from you. Not sure on the quantity we're going to need just yet but I should know in the next day or so.

Many thanks!

DITTO, We would love like 6 more if you're willing we're buyin

Big Butt BBQ
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ will be at site S-233, same site as last year.

Ulcer Acres
04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Got our packet today and we are in R-065

Bell Bottoms BBQ
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Got our Team packet in the mail. I guess I will see the Team's that are in town on Saturday for the Team Meeting.

Anybody heard from their ambassadors yet??

We are @ R-057

msavard
04-05-2011, 04:25 PM
A pallet of fun has arrived at our warehouse...
http://www.gravity-interactive.com/zingzang.jpg

http://static.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beer.gif

TooSaucedToPork
04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
A pallet of fun has arrived at our warehouse...
http://www.gravity-interactive.com/zingzang.jpg

http://static.footballguys.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beer.gif

Is that huge rolling Budwieser
bar of mine still in ya'lls warehouse??? I totally forgot about it, I'd love to get it if it's still there!!!:becky:

Neil

msavard
04-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Is that huge rolling Budwieser
bar of mine still in ya'lls warehouse??? I totally forgot about it, I'd love to get it if it's still there!!!:becky:

Neil

Not sure if you're kidding. Does Ricky actually still have a bar of yours? I didn't see anything in the warehouse last time i was there but I can check again. We're building our own bar (well my own bar) from scratch this year to go alongside the new Kegerator.

TooSaucedToPork
04-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Not sure if you're kidding. Does Ricky actually still have a bar of yours? I didn't see anything in the warehouse last time i was there but I can check again. We're building our own bar (well my own bar) from scratch this year to go alongside the new Kegerator.

Not Kiddin...eight foot long stainless steel bar on wheels with 4 attached taps and two ice fed cooling boxes on top...It was in the collierville warehouse last I heard...

Neil

msavard
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Not Kiddin...eight foot long stainless steel bar on wheels with 4 attached taps and two ice fed cooling boxes on top...It was in the collierville warehouse last I heard...

Neil

Wow. When was that from? I've been with the team for a while and never remember us having anything like that. Plus we've never had a warehouse in collierville?

We've typically gotten bars from Mike Middleton down at Fox and Hound Southhaven (10, 09) he's on our team) or built our own (08, 07)... ya got me kinda confused.

Do you know who you dealt with that borrowed it?

TooSaucedToPork
04-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Wow. When was that from? I've been with the team for a while and never remember us having anything like that. Plus we've never had a warehouse in collierville?

We've typically gotten bars from Mike Middleton down at Fox and Hound Southhaven (10, 09) he's on our team) or built our own (08, 07)... ya got me kinda confused.

Do you know who you dealt with that borrowed it?

It was from 04-05 back when I was on the team. No biggie, I just forgot about it over the years, and was wondering if it was still around

Neil

msavard
04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
It was from 04-05 back when I was on the team. No biggie, I just forgot about it over the years, and was wondering if it was still around

Neil

I'll check with the guys who were on the team back then and get back to you!

msavard
04-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Anyone else getting emails from a Jonah Kaufman Bachelor Party group (10 guys)? Seems they're making the rounds contacting teams requesting a place to eat/drink/party.

I know they contacted us through our site... pretty sure they hit up Pete at Yazoo... and I know they've contacted 10 bones as well.

Iamarealbigdog
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM
yep,

here too

msavard
04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I had a feeling this was the case. I'm not sure we're going to want to deal with a 10-guy bachelor party when we can't even fit our friends/guests in our tent during peak times.

We were discussing sending them a package that runs $400/person ($4k total) and includes a sit-down with the pitmaster, some shirts, jars of sauce, and food/drink/hospitality for the weekend. There will be a clause that unruly behavior gets you booted with no refund.

We don't necessarily need the money or the potential headache so it's going to have to be worth the hassle for us. That said, Pete said they seemed like good guys from what he picked up, so hopefully they find what they're looking for.

msavard
04-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Well this is embarassing.

The jackass on our team responsible for ordering wednesday night tickets somehow forgot to do it.

ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA WEDNESDAY PASS OR THREE?
It would be greatly appreciated and I will gladly pay a premium.

:mad2: I am HEATED right now....

SmokeInDaEye
04-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks like I am no longer cooking ancillaries on Friday so if anyone needs a hand I'll be around, photographer and video folks in tow most likely! Have mad grilling skills, will travel!

TooSaucedToPork
04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Looks like I am no longer cooking ancillaries on Friday so if anyone needs a hand I'll be around, photographer and video folks in tow most likely! Have mad grilling skills, will travel!

We are cooking all 10 ancillaries, You are always more than welcome to come on by and hang if you like Clint.

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Well this is embarassing.

The jackass on our team responsible for ordering wednesday night tickets somehow forgot to do it.

ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA WEDNESDAY PASS OR THREE?
It would be greatly appreciated and I will gladly pay a premium.

:mad2: I am HEATED right now....

Call MIM...they will probably let you slide and let you buy some since they were late in getting everything out this year.

And send me your email and I will send you a good copy of the contest map:thumb:

Neil

TooSaucedToPork
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
I had a feeling this was the case. I'm not sure we're going to want to deal with a 10-guy bachelor party when we can't even fit our friends/guests in our tent during peak times.

We were discussing sending them a package that runs $400/person ($4k total) and includes a sit-down with the pitmaster, some shirts, jars of sauce, and food/drink/hospitality for the weekend. There will be a clause that unruly behavior gets you booted with no refund.

We don't necessarily need the money or the potential headache so it's going to have to be worth the hassle for us. That said, Pete said they seemed like good guys from what he picked up, so hopefully they find what they're looking for.

I talked to them on the phone, nice guys, and all love BBQ. Doesn't seem like an unruly crowd, just a groom that decided he wanted his bachelor party at the Superbowl of Swine...

Neil

drapersbbq
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
We are in H131 this year....right next to the Fox and Grizzlies tents....Not sure whether I'm happy about that or not. Oh well...I guess at least Fox news will know who the heck we are if no one else does by the end of MiM lol.

TooSaucedToPork
04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Thats a great spot...right on the river. Enjoy the sunset ya'll!

Neil

msavard
04-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I talked to them on the phone, nice guys, and all love BBQ. Doesn't seem like an unruly crowd, just a groom that decided he wanted his bachelor party at the Superbowl of Swine...
Neil

Good deal! Sounds like a great bachelor party to me as well! I think we're going to pass just due to us already having overcrowding issues in the past. I'm sure you guys will be able to provide a more than sufficiently entertaining atmostphere for the guys! :thumb:

Call MIM...they will probably let you slide and let you buy some since they were late in getting everything out this year.

And send me your email and I will send you a good copy of the contest map:thumb:

Neil

Yeah we've got one guy on our team with a couple connections in the offices down there. We'll see how it shakes out. Fingers crossed though. It's just frustrating when some of us have been busting our asses for months and this guy manages to screw up one of 3 minor tasks he's been given. :mad2:

My email address is matt.savard@truetemper.com. I'm kinda having fun harassing MIM via thier facebook page as I was looking to get the PDF version of the map so I can break it down in illustrator and design our map-cards that we hand out in the weeks leading up to BBQfest. That said anything helps! I appreciate it. :thumb:

Matt

EDIT TO ADD: Donny, our resident asian charmer has talked them into making an exception for us on the Wednesday tickets so we're good to go! Whew...

Iamarealbigdog
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
This electrical thing just has me spinning in circles.

Got my mail in package and they offer 20 amps service and it is $165 a line, they have a picture of a standard 110 volt and what looks like a GFI two plug receptical.

The order forn states "GROUNDING IS INCLUDED IN ALL HOOK-UPS"

So.. it appears that all I have to do is to stick my power bar into this plug and I am good to go. No installing a ground or whatever. Is it all that easy again... ?

No I did not go to the team meeting, 24hrs of driving for a 2 hr meeting was not in the books.

Cheers

Yazoo's
04-13-2011, 12:00 PM
This electrical thing just has me spinning in circles.

Got my mail in package and they offer 20 amps service and it is $165 a line, they have a picture of a standard 110 volt and what looks like a GFI two plug receptical.

The order forn states "GROUNDING IS INCLUDED IN ALL HOOK-UPS"

So.. it appears that all I have to do is to stick my power bar into this plug and I am good to go. No installing a ground or whatever. Is it all that easy again... ?

No I did not go to the team meeting, 24hrs of driving for a 2 hr meeting was not in the books.

Cheers

The electricians who run the power grid also set up a grounding grid. They will connect your tents/trailer/etc to the grid for no additional cost. However, you must have the copper wire to connect to the grid.

msavard
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't each line have TWO outlets? Just making sure...

Yazoo's
04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't each line have TWO outlets? Just making sure...

You can order as many outlets as you want, but each circuit only has a 2 receptacle outlet.

Note to everybody- make friends with the electricians!

drbbq
04-14-2011, 06:01 AM
The electricians who run the power grid also set up a grounding grid. They will connect your tents/trailer/etc to the grid for no additional cost. However, you must have the copper wire to connect to the grid.

Thanks for the tips. So what kind of copper wire do I need?

TooSaucedToPork
04-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the tips. So what kind of copper wire do I need?
I believe it is 1/8 inch thick copper wire...correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Neil

msavard
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
For those who are interested, this is a link to the 2011 Memphis in May BBQFest Team Manual (http://gravity-interactive.com/2011MIMMANUAL.PDF)

Some rules are pretty seriously enforced. Others are much more lax. Anyone who's ever been knows damn well they don't enforce the "No amplified music may be projected outside the team area" Rule :)

For those who might try to raise some cash by selling team shirts... that, too, is TECHNICALLY not allowed but is unenforced unless you're blatant about it (ie huge wall at the front of your tent advertsing your wares. We've always hung shirts behind our bar with prices and never had a problem.

Also, "collecting fees or accepting donations" is illegal as well but we collect well over a grand annually from donations/tips. Again, use discretion. I think the point there is to avoid teams charging people to get into their tent.

Finally, sponsor banners are supposed to be limited to ONE at 1'x5' and no higher than 8' off the ground. That's not enforced either.

BE SURE TO HEED THE ECO-AGENT RULES.
Last year a friends' team who is usually top 10ish in Shoulder (Parrothead Porkers) had a judge open their trash can and saw aluminum cans in there. They were docked a point and it bumped them out of Finals judging.

drbbq
04-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I appreciate the help here, it's a start. But how is a new guy supposed to know which rules are enforced and which aren't?

msavard
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I appreciate the help here, it's a start. But how is a new guy supposed to know which rules are enforced and which aren't?

Most are... just pointing out glaring ones that aren't. Fire off any questions you might have and one of us who have a few of these under our belt will gladly help :)

TooSaucedToPork
04-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Most are... just pointing out glaring ones that aren't. Fire off any questions you might have and one of us who have a few of these under our belt will gladly help :)

:tape::tape::tape:We just play safe and follow them all...unlike some teams who push the envelope:tape::tape::tape:

BBBWWWWAAAHAHAHA!

Neil

Yazoo's
04-15-2011, 07:33 AM

The MIM folks really try to good sports about things. They have an absolutely huge event they are trying to run, and they are not going to go around being real nit-picky. Being nice to the volunteers goes a long way! Most of the "rules" only come into play when a team is being very obnoxious or very blatent, i.e. don't try to set up a concession booth or bar at the front of your booth and try to sell stuff to the public, then tell the MIM rep to screw off when they ask you not to do that. Other than that, if it goes at a normal contest it's probably fine. (This is also the first I've heard of someone getting a point docked for recycling issues-my guess is this was a "super judge" who took it on themselves to be the protectors of the recycling bin, not an official act).

On the wire issue, we bought 25 or so feet of solid, unwrapped copper wire at Home depot several years ago and just carry it to MIM. If you don't have any, the electricians will provide it for a charge. Again, they don't really want to be screwing with waiting on people to get receipts, so make friends and they are apt to just hook it up and go on to the next booth.

The MIM folks understand doing the contest is a challenge for the contestants as well as themselves- there are a lot of good people that work a long time to put it together. They don't want to bother you as long as you don't cause a lot of drama for them.

msavard
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
:tape::tape::tape:We just play safe and follow them all...unlike some teams who push the envelope:tape::tape::tape:

BBBWWWWAAAHAHAHA!

Neil

Who, US?! :becky:

I found out the story about the bar. Apparently the one year I was off the team, brad (who was not on the team but was keeping the trailer out in cville in exchange for getting to use it occasionally) had made lot of modifications to the trailer and had bought/sold a bunch of stuff.

Donny/Ricky both recall him having the bar at some point but it definitely wasn't returned when we got all our stuff back. He screwed us over pretty badly as well. I think we lost a couple deep-freezes and a vertical fridge on top of him making some really stupid mods to the trailer that accelerated it's need for refurb. Very sorry about that, though.

Ponderosa BBQ
04-15-2011, 03:46 PM
I can't wait I'll be cooking on THE SHED BBQ TEAM! Looking forward to experiencing the whole MIM contest scene with the SHED gang!

TooSaucedToPork
04-18-2011, 09:10 AM
10 Bones BBQ
4 Pork Harmony
Adribbers
Airpork Pilots
All Star Ten Pin Porkers
Annesdale Pork
Aporkalypse Now
Auto Be Grillin
B.B. Kings Blues Club
Baby Back Grillers Allstars
Bad Bob's BBQ
Bad Pig BBQ
The Barbecue Experiment
Barbecue Joe
Barbeque Republic
Barboro's High Life on the Hog
The Bastey Boys
BBQ Freaks
BBQ Team
Beckerle Championship Cookers
The Beef N' The Chicken
Beemer Steamers
Bell Bottoms BBQ
The Best Little Boarhouse in Memphis
Big Al and the Buttrubbers
Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q
Big Mook's BBQ
Big River BBQ
Black Jack Barbecue
The Black Pig BBQ
Boardello's
Boars Night Out
Boars R Us BBQ Team
Born in the Que S. A.
Boss Pit
Brolumni Bar-B-Que
Brown Chicken Brown Cow
Bryce Boar Blazers
Bubba Grills
Buckeye BBQ Team
Bulab Barbecuers
Bushwood BBQ
Butt-Oh-Dacious
Cadillac Grillz
Can Do BBQ Team
Captain Jack
Carolina Traveler
Castle Cookers
Central Smokers
The CharSide POS BBQ Team
Chauvinist Pig
Cherry Red Roasters
The Chi-Town Cookers
Cigar City Smokers
City Hogs
Conquistaboars
Contempt of Pork
Cool Smoke
Cotton Patch Cooking Crew
Cotton Pickin' Porkers
The Count Bastie Porkestra
Crispy Critters
Crosstown Neighborhood Assc.
Curly Tail Smokers II
Danish National BBQ Team
Delta Bones
Dirty Hogs
Doc & Dicie's BBQ
Dr. BBQ
Emily's TN Prime
ESI's Boar House BBQ
The Fabulous Faultliners
Fat Side Up
Fatback Collective
Field of Pigs
Fire House 5
Fireman John's BBQ
The Flying Pigs
Fossil Fueled Porkers
Getting Piggy With It
Give the Devil His Que
The Good, The Bad & The Swine
The Grand Masters of Cooking Disasters
Grandaddy's Original Barbecue
Greaseland Porkers
Gwatney Championship BBQ Team
Half Porked
Here For the Beer
Hog Express
Hog Heaven
Hog Nebula
Hog Wild Competition Team
Hogapalooza
The Hogfather
Hoggystyle
Hogweiser
Hot Off "Le Coles"
Jacks Old South
JRG Cooking
Jubon's
Kill'em & Grill'em Que
Killer Hogs
Knob Creek Smokers
Lillie's Q
Lip Smackin' Que
Lord of the Swine
Love Meat Tender
LVOB
Ma & Pa's Hillbilly B.B.Q.
MacDaddy Meat
Magically Piglicious
Meat Makers
Meat Mitch
Meat, Drink and Be Merry
Mid-South Mayham
Modern Porkfolio Theory
Moonswiners
Myers' Barbecue Company
Natural Born Grillers
Nortorious P.I.G.
The Norwegian National Barbecue Team
Not Ready for Swine Time Porkers
NUVA Swine and Spine
Oinking on the River
Olde Smoker's Fine Swine
Optimus Swine
The Other Team
Page's Pig Pen
Paradise Porkers
Parrothead Porkers of Hogaritaville
Party Q
Peg Leg Porkers
The People's Republic of Swina
Performance Smokers
Peyton Place Motley Que
P-Funk & the Fatback Allstars
Philips Bodine Cooking Team
Pickering Porkers
Pig Cookers of America
Pig Diamonds
Pig Nation
Pig Pandemonium
Pig Stars
Pig-A-Licious
Pigs Gone Wild
Pigs in Gin
Pigs in Space BBQ
Pigs O War
The Pit and the Pigulum II
Pit Panthers
Pits and Ash
Planet Barbeque, Inc.
Poker Porkers
Pork & Bean Counters
Pork Barrel BBQ
Pork Fiction
Pork Me Tender
The Pork University
Porkosaurus
Pork Que
Porkscriptions Cooking Team
Porkstars
Pot Bellie Cookers
Prime Time BBQ
Professor Pork & The Rib Raiders
Pure Pleasure Porkers
Purple Pork Masters
The Q Spot
The Ques Brothers
Quesin' Altitude
Q-Wiggly
Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ
Rebel Roaster Revue
Red Dawg Porkers
Red Hot Smokers
Redneck Bar-B-Q Express
Refined Swine
Reservoir Hogs
Ribdiculous Bar-B-Krewe
Rib-Ka-Teers
Ribmasters
Rickety Rack
Right on Q
Righteous Ribbers
Sarge's
Serial Grillers
Sharp Smokers
The Shed BBQ & Blues Joint
Ship Racked
Shoats and Skins
Show Hog - Universal (DBA Team Manwagon)
Sicilian Smokers
Silky O'Sullivan's
Silver Bullet Smokers
Simple Q
Slab Yo Mama BBQ
SlabJo Mama BBQ Cooking Team
Slabs A' Smokin
Sloppy Chops
Smokemasters
Smoke Shack BBQ
Smokers Anonymous
Smokin' On The River
Smokin Razorbacks
Smokin Spiders
Smokin with an Attitude
SnoutKast
South Carolina Swiners
South Pork
Southaven Meathogs
Sow Luau
Squeal Street BBQ
SSG Ribbers
Succulent Swine Smokers Society
Suspicious Rinds
Sweet Swine O'Mine
Sweetness of Hog
Swine & Dine
The Swinery
The Swinos
Sysco's Cajun Cookers Too
Tangled Up in Que
Tennessee Boar-B-Que
Tom & Jerrys Global Porkers
Tombstone Cookers
Too Sauced To Pork
Totally Boar'd BBQ
Tower Rock
Transporkers
Tucker Cooker
TuPork Shakur
Twyford BBQ & Catering
Ubee's Riverpigs
Ubon's Barbeque of Yazoo
Uncle Mac's BBQ Crue
Victory Lane BBQ
Vienna Volunteer Fire Dept
Voo Doo Q
Wasted-N-Basted
Where Ma Boars At?
Whole Hog Cafť
Wild Boar Smokers
Will-Be-Que BBQ Team
Willingham's River City Rooters
World Famous Larry Williams/Spiderpigs
Yazoo's Delta Q

msavard
04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
18 Days till Load-In.... everyone ready?!

:-D

drbbq
04-25-2011, 11:17 AM
The MIM folks really try to good sports about things. They have an absolutely huge event they are trying to run, and they are not going to go around being real nit-picky. Being nice to the volunteers goes a long way! Most of the "rules" only come into play when a team is being very obnoxious or very blatent, i.e. don't try to set up a concession booth or bar at the front of your booth and try to sell stuff to the public, then tell the MIM rep to screw off when they ask you not to do that. Other than that, if it goes at a normal contest it's probably fine. (This is also the first I've heard of someone getting a point docked for recycling issues-my guess is this was a "super judge" who took it on themselves to be the protectors of the recycling bin, not an official act).

On the wire issue, we bought 25 or so feet of solid, unwrapped copper wire at Home depot several years ago and just carry it to MIM. If you don't have any, the electricians will provide it for a charge. Again, they don't really want to be screwing with waiting on people to get receipts, so make friends and they are apt to just hook it up and go on to the next booth.

The MIM folks understand doing the contest is a challenge for the contestants as well as themselves- there are a lot of good people that work a long time to put it together. They don't want to bother you as long as you don't cause a lot of drama for them.

This has been the vibe I've experienced all along. They're really good at this and willing to help you.

That said I have a couple questions that they haven't gotten to yet.

What can go in the box for anything but? I'm cooking beef and seafood only.
How many judges will sample it?

Regarding Saturday judging, can I give the judges a goodie bag?

Thanks in advance!

getyourrubonbbq
04-25-2011, 02:54 PM
18 Days till Load-In.... everyone ready?!

:-D

I'm ready, Extreme BBQ Trailers will be with Boss Pit. Come by, say hello and tour my trailer.

Yazoo's
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM
This has been the vibe I've experienced all along. They're really good at this and willing to help you.

That said I have a couple questions that they haven't gotten to yet.

What can go in the box for anything but? I'm cooking beef and seafood only.
How many judges will sample it?

Regarding Saturday judging, can I give the judges a goodie bag?

Thanks in advance!

Anything but has no garnish limitations- Whatever the heck you want to put in there goes (you do have to use the assigned togo box however).

At the judges meeting they will tell the judges that if a team offers a present to go back and get it after judging is completed. They don't want the other teams to be intimidated when their judge walks in with bags, etc, from other teams.

msavard
04-25-2011, 04:26 PM
HUGE POTENTIAL ISSUE:

There is a lot of water on the way. A good freind who works in the river traffic area just called me and apparently they may be coming out with a forcast of 46' above flood stage on May 8th. That level of water would put all of Tom Lee Park and Riverside drive underwater and would be the worst flooding in Memphis since the 1920's.

There is a chance this could cause cancellation of BBQfest if there is not sufficient time to relocate the event.

My buddy is going to a port authority meeting tomorrow at 2pm and will pass along the revised estimates but this is largely due to flooding in the Ohio valley. They have already shut 3 locks down and have ceased all barge traffic up in that area. Apparently that is unprecedented in and of itself.

Current Forecast:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=lmrfc-mississippiandohioriverforecast
MEMPHIS 34 31.8 +0.3 32.3 32.9 33.6 34.7 35.7 44.0 05/08A 04/27A

This is expected to be revised to 46-47 feet in tomorrow's meeting.

Fingers crossed guys... hopefully MEmphis in May has a contingency plan...

msavard
04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
More information here:
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=meg&gage=memt1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1&toggles=10,7,8,2,9,15,6

Note the historical high water marks. With the current forecast at 44' there will be "there is significant flooding occurring along both banks of the river in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi" and it would be the 3rd worst Memphis/Mississippi River flood in recorded history.

If indeed water approaches the 46' mark I have to think they'll consider canceling the event as water will be threatening washing out the park at that point. Given the speed at which this river moves at flood stage there is NO way they can risk having tens of thousands of people on those banks at that stage.

Apparently at the 48' mark the whole park and Riverside Drive are underwater.

Combine that link with the link I posted above and you get an idea of the scope of the issue...

msavard
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
These are images of the river at 35'. Sorry for the size... they're not my photos.

Notice the retaining wall. The primary part of Tom Lee Park does not have such a wall so the water would be even more apt to flood. We are currently forecasting 10 feet above this with a potential updated forecast to 12-13 feet above the levels in these images.

http://water.weather.gov/images/photos/approved/memt1/mudislandhigh.JPG

http://water.weather.gov/images/photos/approved/memt1/mudislandhigh1.JPG

deguerre
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I wonder if the Agricenter would be a fall-back?

msavard
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I wonder if the Agricenter would be a fall-back?

That or possibly shelby farms.

Those of us who've booked hotel rooms without option to cancel sure hope it stays down there on the river. I'm not sure they can logistically accommodate a shift of an event of this size this close to the start. :shocked:

TooSaucedToPork
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
That or possibly shelby farms.

Those of us who've booked hotel rooms without option to cancel sure hope it stays down there on the river. I'm not sure they can logistically accommodate a shift of an event of this size this close to the start. :shocked:

Agricenter IS shelby farms my brotha from anotha motha...:becky:

This could be one hell of a contest...for once the waters are coming at us from down rather than up

msavard
04-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I was referring to the actual Farms area.... not the usual spot over by the agricenter (in the event the agricenter grounds itself is already booked). That said... I REALLY hope this is just a threat that doesn't come to fruition...

TooSaucedToPork
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I was referring to the actual Farms area.... not the usual spot over by the agricenter (in the event the agricenter grounds itself is already booked). That said... I REALLY hope this is just a threat that doesn't come to fruition...

They are forecasting 44 feet. I talked to some buddies and the sidewalk on Tom Lee Park sits at 46.48 feet...hopefully they reduce the forecast...or the contest will be sitting on the Mighty Mississippi Lake

msavard
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
HUGE POTENTIAL ISSUE:

Current Forecast:
MEMPHIS 34 31.8 +0.3 32.3 32.9 33.6 34.7 35.7 44.0 05/08A 04/27A

This is expected to be revised to 46-47 feet in tomorrow's meeting.

Looks like it went up but not as high as anticipated. High water now expected to be 45ft and peaking on the 10th now (day before friends/family day).

Given the sidewalks at Tom Lee are 46.5ft I just don't see how they're going to be able to hold this at TLP unless the estimates trend downward a foot or two... or if the waters subside very sharply after Tuesday.

msavard
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM
I just spoke with my buddy again this morning. I'll do my best to break this down into fact/opinion for you guys.

FACT: River stages updated today from 44 to 45' and the crest moved from 5/08 to 5/10 (Tuesday). This will be peaking during BBQfest.
FACT: The Ohio and Mississippi are flooding at the same time. This hasn't happened in ~100 years.
FACT: They're blowing levees up in New Madrid this morning in an attempt to take some of the pressure off the river.
FACT: They're looking into evacuation of the city of New Madrid today or tomorrow.
FACT: The sidewalks at Tom Lee Park are at 46.5' above flood stage.
FACT: At 48' all of Tom Lee Park and Riverside drive (as well as most of Harbortown) will be under water.

Here are some opinions from my buddy (who's a salty old navy guy who's run shipyards up and down the MS River for 20+ years and KNOWS this river)
TAKE: He thinks this crest forecast will continue to rise and will settle at 48.5"+… Making it the worst flood in Memphis History
TAKE: He thinks portions of Harbortown (not affiliated with BBQfest) will be underwater by THIS Friday or Saturday
TAKE: He thinks there is little chance they're going to be able to safely host BBQFest on the banks of the Mississippi River on 5/11-5/15.
TAKE: He thinks by Thursday or Friday the River stages forecasts will be pretty much dead on accurate for BBQfest week.

BOTTOM LINE - OPINION: Unless this rain simply STOPS and somehow there is a drastic shift in river conditions due to levee's breaking or otherwise…. The odds of BBQFest happening on the set date and location are slim.

A team member of ours contacted MIM offices and they said there are currently no plans to change/move BBQfest and suggest people "Bring some Boots and be prepared to have fun". If these morons are comparing the usual rainstorms we get to one of the world's largest rivers overtaking the park where the event is held, they are dumber than I previously thought. Wow.

deguerre
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
A team member of ours contacted MIM offices and they said there are currently no plans to change/move BBQfest and suggest people "Bring some Boots and be prepared to have fun". If these morons are comparing the usual rainstorms we get to one of the world's largest rivers overtaking the park where the event is held, they are dumber than I previously thought. Wow.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

This is beyond words...

msavard
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
In response to pressure on Facebook they have finally issued a statement on their page:

Statement regarding Memphis in May’s events and the Potential of Flooding:

by Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 3:02pm

Memphis in May officials are conferring regularly with appropriate agencies to keep abreast of the concerns for potential flooding in Tom Lee Park. The agencies include the Emergency Management Agency, National Weather Service, and U. S. Army Corp of Engineers. The Beale Street Music Festival will not be affected by the flooding occurring around the Mid-South area.

However, the prediction that the river will crest at record levels around May 8, 2011 does cause concern for the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest. The Festival has contingency plans in place for certain emergent issues and is reviewing and analyzing all reports and forecasts and continuing to maintain vigilant contact with local authorities. An appropriate and expedient plan for the event will be announced when all known factors have been carefully reviewed. At present, we are planning for another exciting and successful World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

-

When pressed to elaborate if they'd lean toward relocation or rescheduling in the event of flooding, they simply responded that they're considering all options.

Iamarealbigdog
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
YIKES....

Ok, my little issues are now surpassed at this news... If they do not have a back up plan how late will they go until they pull the plug. With the vast financial commitments made for this event, down the proverbial drain...

Oh well, hope for the best and prepare for the worst...

Mike

The Black Pig BBQ

msavard
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I agree... hence why I've gone full court press on forcing them to publicly recognize this issue. Thankfully now that it's out in the open they'll be more vigilant in conveying information and planning for the worst.

This is a long way from 24 hours ago when I was laughed at and a team-mate was told to buy some boots...

msavard
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Just got word from our cook in SC who has contacts at the company that usually provides electricity: They have backed out. They will not be running the main lines down there after looking at the water forecast. This means one of 3 things:

IF we somehow get lucky and it still happens at Tom Lee:
1) Another Electric Company will Step up
2) We will be responsible for tying into the main electrical boxes on our own.
3) We will have to run off generators.

That or they might change venues or dates....

Here's to hoping they clarify this a little more over the next couple days...

deguerre
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I agree... hence why I've gone full court press on forcing them to publicly recognize this issue. Thankfully now that it's out in the open they'll be more vigilant in conveying information and planning for the worst.

This is a long way from 24 hours ago when I was laughed at and a team-mate was told to buy some boots...

I'm glad you did press the issue knowing the local politicos' tendencies to ignore things until it's too late. Not only do competitors invest small fortunes but as a public safety issue...

msavard
04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
UPDATE:

My guy with Wepfer Marine just got out of a meeting up in MO and got some updates. They're going to leave the forecast at 45' on 5/10 for tomorrow. It appears the "outside model" of projections has been pulled back from 49 to 46' for now. This could shift slightly depending on how things shake out, however things look SLIGHTLY better after the latest models have been released.

We are far from out of the woods and even at 45' we'll be seeing some very fast moving waters that will be very very high up the banks.... however I'd say the odds of Tom Lee working out just went up from 20% to maybe 50%.

Again... information is dynamic and the models won't be strongest until later in the week but just trying to keep everyone up to speed.

TooSaucedToPork
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Everybody make a few burnt offerings to the BBQ GODS...And I think the first song at the Slab Yo Mama tent should be "When the Levee Breaks" :becky:

weadjust
04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
From the Commercial Appeal

The barbecue contest, which is expected to draw more than 110,000 people to the park during the weekend event, poses a much more difficult problem, in terms of the potential flooding impacts. Members of the 250 teams begin loading equipment in the park by May 7, when the Mississippi will be nearing its crest.
Hampton said festival officials have been meeting regularly with representatives of the National Weather Service and Corps of Engineers. They also hope to get more detailed information from the Riverfront Development Corp. about the topography of the park and how it will be affected.
“Contingency plans are in place. We’re working on all the possible options right now,” Hampton said.

Link to the entire article

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/apr/26/flood-waters-threatening-memphis-may-officials-wor/?partner=popular

News reporter on Fox 13 said some options may be to use sand bags or fence off areas that are flooded. She also said there were discussions about relocating the event but they did not know if that was even possible due to the amount of work that would be required in such a short time frame.

msavard
04-27-2011, 09:37 AM
US Army Corps of Engineers on Drake and ZEke this AM:

44-45' would be the absolute maximum safe levels to host the event. Event at 45' there could be some washover from barge traffic.

Riverstages forecasts held fast at 45' on 5/10 like I stated they would. If this would just tick down a notch or two (and not artificially).... we'd be good to go.

FINGERS CROSSED...

Lake Dogs
04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
*fingers crossed for you guys*

msavard
04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Wow. The Mississippi is getting pretty damn high already....

This is 35' of water.... we're expected to have another 10' of water (45') by May 10th.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224271_10150170638480840_695500839_7350278_616063_ n.jpg

deguerre
04-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Is that Front and Court outside the window?

msavard
04-27-2011, 05:24 PM
I honestly don't know. A buddy of mine took the pic earlier today.

deguerre
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM
If it is then you can see Tom Lee - the part that's jutting out and behind it in the top of the pic.

msavard
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, that part up there is Tom Lee. I've requested my buddy to head down there after work and snap a few pics at the waterline (safely obviously). We'll see if he's able to.

getyourrubonbbq
04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
You're right you can see the park, I'm having serious doubts about taking my trailer down there.:sad:

msavard
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Tunica casinos are forecasting having to shut down operations on May 2nd for an undetermined period of time.

Wow.

http://tunicablog.harrahs.com/caesars-mid-south-operations-flood-preparations-and-open-facilities/?social=NMM

msavard
04-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Strong rumor from our cook that it's being relocated to the fairgrounds (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Liberty+Bowl+Memorial+Stadium:+Mid-South+Fairgrounds+Building+Rental+Information,+Sou th+Hollywood+Street,+Memphis,+TN&aq=1&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.219929,74.355469&ie=UTF8&hq=Liberty+Bowl+Memorial+Stadium:+Mid-South+Fairgrounds+Building+Rental+Information,&hnear=S+Hollywood+St,+Memphis,+Tennessee&ll=35.128543,-89.98189&spn=0.032221,0.072613&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A).

We have rooms booked at Comfort Inn Suites by Agricenter just in case its there.

getyourrubonbbq
04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
That would be great! Not to far for the folks that have rooms downtown and they've done a lot of work there. We did a comp there a week ago and it was a very nice setup.

deguerre
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Plus, NO MUD.

msavard
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Plus, NO MUD.

yeah... we'd not have to set up our flooring/turf. That said it would obviously lose tons of the charm of being on the banks of old man river. Bummer, but if it's no festival, or festival in a parking lot...well....we'll take the latter :)

Hopefully they reward riverfront spots with larger lots, prime locations, and/or refunds for the riverfront premiums.

msavard
04-27-2011, 08:21 PM
This photo was just taken on the bridge side of Mud Island. He only got two photos because the wind and river spray was soaking him. This is supposedly the river at 37'. Once again, we're projected to see 45' by early next week. That's 8' deeper than this.

This is going to be bad. There's no way they can have this on Tom Lee Park...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224889_10150169206961623_547146622_7078082_4652046 _n.jpg

TooSaucedToPork
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
They can do it safely only if the water is 44' or lower.

The fairgrounds is the only logical place I can think of. Shelby farms has the wolfe river running through it and that could get tricky with all the flooding...

Plus the fairgrounds has the power output, traffic flow, and parking needed. It is also close to downtown hotels...

Just Pulin' Pork
04-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I have never been to MIM but after seeing that picture, this seems like a no-brainer! Make the decision, move it to the fairgrounds. This would allow everyone involved to prepare and make the needed adjustments to make the move! Just my 2 cents!

msavard
04-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Article from the Appeal:

"The river, which late Tuesday surged to the 34-foot flood stage at Memphis, is expected to continue rising for nearly two weeks before cresting May 10 at 45 feet -- only 3.7 feet below the record of 48.7 set on Feb. 10, 1937. But authorities cautioned that the forecast could rise depending on new rainfall amounts upriver from the city.

Although it won't affect this weekend's Beale Street Music Festival, the high water could force a change in plans for the Memphis in May International Festival World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, set for May 12-14 in Tom Lee Park.

At 45 feet, the river will be lapping at the edge of the park, according to a statement by the Riverfront Development Corp., and if it gets a foot higher, the barbecue contest "will be affected." "

Reading into this... but it seems with the last bolded comment they might try to hold it at Tom Lee if the 45' forecast holds steady? With the river lapping at the edges of the park that seems a little risky but I've never seen the park with anything close to that level of water.

and

"Diane Hampton, executive vice president of Memphis in May, said there are contingency plans available in the event the park is flooded, though she declined to be specific."

I'm reading into this but it seems they have relocation in mind for this rather than a date change. Given the number of people traveling in from around the world for this event, I can see how that would be a better option.

Finally:

"If it occurs as planned, the event will be powered totally by generators. On Monday, the RDC, which manages riverfront parks for the city, will remove electrical transformers in the park to protect them from flooding."

No word on if each team is responsible for their OWN generators if this goes down but hopefully they'll give sufficient notice for teams who might not have any generators to Procure them.

TooSaucedToPork
04-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Article from the Appeal:

"If it occurs as planned, the event will be powered totally by generators. On Monday, the RDC, which manages riverfront parks for the city, will remove electrical transformers in the park to protect them from flooding."

No word on if each team is responsible for their OWN generators if this goes down but hopefully they'll give sufficient notice for teams who might not have any generators to Procure them.

They are getting industrial trailer mounted gennies...teams will not have to provide their own

Neil

Lake Dogs
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I live on a lake, and I've lost friends due to the combination of water and electricity. BAD mix, IMHO. DEADLY mix. To me, 43+ being highly likely, they should call-the-ball. Plus, if it does go over 45, the flooding alone could be deadly.

Bell Bottoms BBQ
04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
The problem right now is that the river has several rivers that flow into it, such as the Wolf River and the Loosahatchie which are both overflowing. So.. even if the Mississippi River does go down some, it will come right back up when these rivers are able to drain. I have heard from a friend who is on a committee that there is a possibility of moving to the Libertybowl fairgrounds. I am ALL IN FAVOR of this move. The last thing I want is to be knee deep in MUD and then a barge come by and we have to deal with the wake. It just seems TOO dangerous of a gamble to have it by the river this year.

msavard
04-28-2011, 11:41 AM
The problem right now is that the river has several rivers that flow into it, such as the Wolf River and the Loosahatchie which are both overflowing. So.. even if the Mississippi River does go down some, it will come right back up when these rivers are able to drain. I have heard from a friend who is on a committee that there is a possibility of moving to the Libertybowl fairgrounds. I am ALL IN FAVOR of this move. The last thing I want is to be knee deep in MUD and then a barge come by and we have to deal with the wake. It just seems TOO dangerous of a gamble to have it by the river this year.

Yep. Pretty much EVERYTHING I'm hearing is Fairgrounds now. Makes too much sense. Great way to show off the new Tiger Lane too. Would be great if they allowed folks with Riverside lots to grab Tiger Lane slots then build everyone else around that as a hub.

Example of a Good Layout:
Parking in Orange / Brown / Red Lots
"Riverside" on Tiger Lane (Green)
Other booths in "Blue"
Judging in "Gold 3"

http://www.memphisflyer.com/imager/tiger-lane/b/original/2222733/e36e/TigerLane-1.jpg

Rendering of Tiger Lane
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KaaU6wDokWg/TS44Pfk57yI/AAAAAAAAAA0/UhQb9dWbYKg/s1600/tigerlane.jpg

msavard
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Tiger Lane:
160' Wide (60' Deep Lot - 40' utilities access - 60' Deep Lot)
1400' Long (assuming 1200' of useable space)

That means you could fit 80 plots of 30x60 on that grass with a nice 40' Utilities access corridor down the center. Would be a great fit for the "premium" riverside spots.

Then just give everyone else a corresponding number of "parking spots" that are already numbered.

http://memphisroar.com/2010/06/new-tiger-lane-at-the-liberty-bowl-unveiled/

SmokeInDaEye
04-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Looks like a much better alternative to Memphis In the Mississippi aka MIM 2011. Either way I'll be there with boots on.

WeekendsAreMine
04-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I am still hopeful it can work, however our premium riverview space may end up being moved. I wonder if it's its within a couple feet of elevation if they could simply move everyone back towards the bluff. According to the topo maps, we could pick up another 2ft in elevation just by moving us all back about 50 feet.

Iamarealbigdog
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Memphis In the Mississippi .

Now thats the funnest thing thats come out of this

msavard
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
I am still hopeful it can work, however our premium riverview space may end up being moved. I wonder if it's its within a couple feet of elevation if they could simply move everyone back towards the bluff. According to the topo maps, we could pick up another 2ft in elevation just by moving us all back about 50 feet.

If you've ever been down there, there's not 50' to give. The park already moved from 30' wide slots to 26' wide slots to accommodate the crappy Beale St Landing project. IF you move in 50' you're eliminating about 20%-25% of the tents. At that point they'll simply need to relocate if it comes down to that.

Losing riverfront status is something folks are just going to have to accept. I'd be a PR nightmare for them to not refund the premium, offer larger lots at the new venue, or offer the credit toward next year's entry. As a team who also paid a premium for 26x50 riverfront, I'm confident they'll come up with something.

I just got off the phone with a good buddy who works in promotions/production for MIM and Snowden Grove Ampitheater. He confirmed that the two venues that MIM officials have been looking at for possible backups are Agricenter and Fairgrounds. What he did say is Snowden Grove was contacted TODAY by MIM to scout for it as a possible alternative as well... making it the 3rd potential venue they're looking at.

I'd be very surprised if they moved it down to MS given the complete and total lack of lodging surrounding that venue and the pretty good distance (15 minute drive easy) from where most folks have already booked (Downtown). That said, they did contact them so I'm just passing it along here.

Here's a photo from lunchtime today down on Mud Island:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217106_200946123277632_100000867366140_484307_9705 22_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227646_200946176610960_100000867366140_484311_2046 023_n.jpg

deguerre
04-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Glad I don't own a property in Harbor Town right now.

msavard
04-28-2011, 07:19 PM
One more bit of info. Buddy lives by Agricenter and he just contacted me. Flooded... the whole complex. Parking lot, fields, etc... all under water. With the water level still due to rise by several feet I think we can safely cross the Agricenter off the list of potential venues. :clap2:

1) Fairgrounds
2) Snowden Grove

SmokeInDaEye
04-28-2011, 09:02 PM
One more bit of info. Buddy lives by Agricenter and he just contacted me. Flooded... the whole complex. Parking lot, fields, etc... all under water. With the water level still due to rise by several feet I think we can safely cross the Agricenter off the list of potential venues. :clap2:

1) Fairgrounds
2) Snowden Grove

Where's Snowden Grove?

Yazoo's
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Where's Snowden Grove?

Southaven. Very nice amphitheatre, power and water already set up for teams (well, probably half, then you would have to run gen's for the others).

Parking would be a bitch for this big of a deal, though I'm sure some of the farmers would suddenly discover another cash crop for the week.

And oh, it's 4 minutes from the house. We vote for Southaven!

Swinebuck
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Parking was very bad for Springfest, a mud hole, and this would be ten times worse. The fairgrounds would be my first choice.

msavard
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Southaven. Very nice amphitheatre, power and water already set up for teams (well, probably half, then you would have to run gen's for the others).

Parking would be a bitch for this big of a deal, though I'm sure some of the farmers would suddenly discover another cash crop for the week.

And oh, it's 4 minutes from the house. We vote for Southaven!

4 minutes? Pete, got a guestroom? :becky:
I kid. I kid. We've got several good friends who live right around the corner from there so crash-pad would be a non issue. It would be a pretty rough drive home for folks staying downtown though.

I really think all things considered (parking, space, electrical, traffic patterns, etc) that Fairgrounds is our best option. We'll see how it goes.

Major road closures starting in Memphis. Sheriff Luttrel has just declared a state of emergency for the city of memphis. Much of Bartlett has flooded. Casinos are closed in Tunica due to flooding. Most of the agricenter is underwater. Christian Brothers' Football field is underwater.

And despite all that, they're expecting record crowds downtown with Musicfest, Grizzlies Playoff (Game 6), Redbirds AAA game, Show at the Orpheum, and Downtown Trolley Tour tonight. Hell I'll be on the river at Tom Lee this evening. Will snap tons of pics and post them to Slab Yo Mama's shiny new twitter feed (as well as here) later this weekend.

http://twitter.com/#!/slabyomama

SmokeInDaEye
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Scary stuff. Hopefully everyone stays safe and we'll see you in a couple weeks!

msavard
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Some more random shots to give you guys an idea of what's goin down in lil ol memphis.

Baptist Hospital East - Currently open but evacuation plans prepared in case it gets worse:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223433_10150170534787756_13953327755_7069811_14973 91_n.jpg

Wolf River barely fitting under I-40
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215309_1743318790313_1459027663_31537375_2154812_n .jpg

Christian Brothers Football Field
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/223141_120456654700603_110409385705330_173397_2515 198_n.jpg

deguerre
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
That's CBHS, not CBU right?

getyourrubonbbq
04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Some more random shots to give you guys an idea of what's goin down in lil ol memphis.

Baptist Hospital East - Currently open but evacuation plans prepared in case it gets worse:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223433_10150170534787756_13953327755_7069811_14973 91_n.jpg

Wolf River barely fitting under I-40
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215309_1743318790313_1459027663_31537375_2154812_n .jpg

Christian Brothers Football Field
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/223141_120456654700603_110409385705330_173397_2515 198_n.jpg

Keep in mind folks, this is not even near the park where the comp is held.

deguerre
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Keep in mind folks, this is not even near the park where the comp is held.

About 8 miles East - inland - of the Mississippi and the river causing this flooding flows INTO the Mississippi.

SmokeInDaEye
04-29-2011, 02:19 PM
A few pictures I pulled of the park from the news. Crazy!

deguerre
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
This is at 38 ft if taken today. If the river hits 45 as expected, this is under water looks like.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52315&stc=1&d=1304104766

Jorge
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
This is at 38 ft if taken today. If the river hits 45 as expected, this is under water looks like.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52315&stc=1&d=1304104766

Close to it, using the van in the pic for scale. With the investment and equipment that comes with MIM, I'd be looking for an option if I had that responsibility.

Best of luck to ALL that are planning to cook this event. I've heard about the rain, and mud over the years. This is something different and I can't imagine the headaches that come with shifting such a big production. In a lot of cases it's more than just moving a setup to a different 20x20 space. In some cases it involves some construction.

Hope everything works out for the best, for everyone.

TooSaucedToPork
04-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Close to it, using the van in the pic for scale. With the investment and equipment that comes with MIM, I'd be looking for an option if I had that responsibility.

Best of luck to ALL that are planning to cook this event. I've heard about the rain, and mud over the years. This is something different and I can't imagine the headaches that come with shifting such a big production. In a lot of cases it's more than just moving a setup to a different 20x20 space. In some cases it involves some construction.

Hope everything works out for the best, for everyone.

The sidewalk is the main concern...the booths are on the other side of the sidewalk which sits at 46.5 feet, should be lapping about 3 ft away from the sidewalk if it is 45ft or lower as predicted

SmokeInDaEye
04-29-2011, 05:12 PM
I could fit two teams in my MILs backyard up on the bluffs. Now we just need room for about 250 more.

CajunSmoker
04-30-2011, 07:58 AM
I work on the river and thought maybe some of you might want a link to follow the river stage. This is the one I use to plan my day.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/river.php?wfo=meg&wfoid=18690&riverid=203833&view=1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1%2C1&toggles=10%2C7%2C8%2C2%2C9%2C15%2C6&pt%5B%5D=143366&allpoints=143846%2C142736%2C143816%2C143998%2C1451 44%2C142659%2C142234%2C145887%2C144081%2C142375%2C 143866%2C141506%2C142962%2C143885%2C143323%2C14420 1%2C144542%2C142873%2C143260%2C143099%2C142560%2C1 44186%2C143177%2C142054%2C143945%2C144055%2C141370 %2C143630%2C141931%2C142812%2C141676%2C142534%2C14 4568%2C143535%2C144589%2C143030%2C144031%2C143079% 2C144282%2C141445%2C141722%2C141383%2C143445%2C143 646%2C143787%2C143574%2C143545%2C142773%2C141629%2 C144517%2C142500%2C143196%2C142105%2C142509%2C1424 18%2C144108%2C141463%2C141839%2C143934%2C141618%2C 146423%2C143366%2C142172%2C141493%2C142940%2C14461 9%2C144798%2C144609%2C141308%2C144449%2C143828%2C1 42711&data%5B%5D=hydrograph&data%5B%5D=obs&submit=Make+my+River+Page%21

msavard
04-30-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure we could still pull it off at the agricenter with a couple pontoons...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224160_10150172518847626_623322625_6589178_2447229 _n.jpg

deguerre
04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
I could fit two teams in my MILs backyard up on the bluffs. Now we just need room for about 250 more.
The on site judges are gonna LOVE that climb...

SmokeInDaEye
04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
By the way, if anyone was looking for me to lend a hand with the overnight cook Friday, I'm gonna be at the Fed Ex center for game six against OK City! :)

Big Tom
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM

Another thing to prepare for would the the city code enforcement and fire inspectors, they mean business, the MIM folks will work with you. Tent permits are based on size of tent and they have to have a fire retardant lable if used near the cookers. A fire extinguisher with a current inspection or reciept, if bought new, is a big item they check for along with secure propane tanks and minimal liquid fuels.

For your electrical grounding 25-50 feet of #4 solid copper to bond all tents & trailers (with electrical) to the grounding grid. The electricians are hired help for the event and are good to work with. We would also have the crew from one of the downtown fire stations hanging with us while on duty in the park and after their rotation when they could enjoy the environment.

Bell Bottoms BBQ
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm pretty sure we could still pull it off at the agricenter with a couple pontoons...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/224160_10150172518847626_623322625_6589178_2447229 _n.jpg
I am in the process of mounting my cooker to a pontoon...:confused:

Just got the email asking if we want to postpone or move.. I voted move it to the Fairgrounds... postpone??:crazy: What about all those folks flying in from Belgium, Norway, etc??? can you imagine the cost of changing that plane ticket at the last minute???

msavard
05-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Tom Lee Park Sunday afternoon.... this is 41ft (ish).
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230244_1699186284813_1392574302_31441630_5089069_n .jpg

They better not postpone this thing....

msavard
05-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I havent seen the Email. Are the options to move it to the fairgrounds (specifically) or to change the date?

Iamarealbigdog
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Just got the email asking if we want to postpone or move.. I voted move it to the Fairgrounds... postpone??:crazy:

Were down to a vote... your kidding right...

msavard
05-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Way to have a plan B guys.

PLAN B : Wait till 5 days before load in then email everyone and let them decide? lol

This is the greatest BBQ festival in the world but the people who run it are F'ing ignorant.

Swinebuck
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I am sure MIM just wanted to get in put from the teams before their decision. They did say the teams must respond today so they can make a decision. We voted to keep the current dates and move the location if necessary. Our first choice is The Liberty Bowl Fair Grounds
Thanks
Mike G

Lake Dogs
05-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Just got the email asking if we want to postpone or move.. I voted move it to the Fairgrounds... postpone??:crazy: What about all those folks flying in from Belgium, Norway, etc??? can you imagine the cost of changing that plane ticket at the last minute???

Cost? Many of them are already en-route. There's no cost!!

If this were a standard run-of-the-mill sanctioned contest, I'd understand not having a contingency plan. They dont consider themselves a run-of-the-mill contest, and as such we should hold them to a higher standard. Not having a contingency plan already planned and document is really back-yard-ish.

Good luck y'all. I hope you guys have a GREAT time!!!

msavard
05-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Gallery:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/photos/galleries/rising-rivers/38107/

From the Commerical Appeal:

The 250 teams have until 5 p.m. today to respond to the poll. The MIM operating committee will meet at 6 p.m. to make a decision.

Officials for the 34-year-old barbecue contest have scouted several locations to hold the festival, but Hampton said she couldn’t reveal the exact locations until the board decides.

“It has to be a place where 250 teams can bring in their equipment to cook,” Hampton said. “There has to be access to electricity, to water. This isn’t some back-yard grill competition. It’s a huge undertaking to move it.”

The contest began in The Orpheum theater parking lot. It has been at Tom Lee Park since.

Teams are expected to start setting up on Saturday when the river will likely be at 44 feet.

“We are struggling with what to do,” Hampton said. “The board will make the ultimate decision but we don’t have a contest if we don’t have teams, so it was important to know what they want to do.”

Canceling the competition is not an option, she said.

msavard
05-02-2011, 05:44 PM
I just spoke with my buddy again this morning.

Opinions from my buddy (who's a salty old navy guy who's run shipyards up and down the MS River for 20+ years and KNOWS this river)
TAKE: He thinks this crest forecast will continue to rise and will settle at 48.5"+… Making it the worst flood in Memphis History
TAKE: He thinks portions of Harbortown (not affiliated with BBQfest) will be underwater by THIS Friday or Saturday
TAKE: He thinks there is little chance they're going to be able to safely host BBQFest on the banks of the Mississippi River on 5/11-5/15.
TAKE: He thinks by Thursday or Friday the River stages forecasts will be pretty much dead on accurate for BBQfest week.

This post was from last week.

Revised estimates = 48' crest on 5/10 now. Every bit of Tom Lee Park and Riverside drive WILL be underwater for Memphis in May BBQfest.

getyourrubonbbq
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks!

Yazoo's
05-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Way to have a plan B guys.

PLAN B : Wait till 5 days before load in then email everyone and let them decide? lol

This is the greatest BBQ festival in the world but the people who run it are F'ing ignorant.

Time to lighten up on the MIM folks. The "contingency" plans in place at almost any festival when a 100 year event happens is just to cancel the event.

The logistic issues with putting on Memphis in May BBQ Fest are mind blowing. These guys are struggling with a huge event, a crazy, uncontrollable weather event, and the plans (and funds) of thousands of people.

They will come up with the best course of action to help the most people. I firmly believe they will come up with a secondary site to have it this year- which will be a huge financial hit for the festival, but they will still do it. To call them "f-in idiots" for failing to have a plan to lift Tom Lee Park up 10 feet to stay out of the way of a 100 year flood is not correct.

msavard
05-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Sorry pete, my frustrations have to do with their refusal to begin addressing this for a week. In addition it has some to do with past issues with their handling of inclement weather and Musicfest. Perhaps I'm not being completely fair but at the same time it's a little frustrating that this lack pf preparedness and, more importantly, lack of communication and action. They knew this was coming 2 weeks ago and theyre only just now at the stage of "putting it to a vote"? :shrug:

Anyways... I'll tone it down but I'll also state in here that there is a good bit of information about what's coming our way that's not public yet. The flooding report will be raised to 48.5ft tomorrow and it will stop there. I'll just say that's not likely an entirely accurate number.

Yazoo's
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Sorry pete, my frustrations have to do with their refusal to begin addressing this for a week. In addition it has some to do with past issues with their handling of inclement weather and Musicfest. Perhaps I'm not being completely fair but at the same time it's a little frustrating that this lack pf preparedness and, more importantly, lack of communication and action. They knew this was coming 2 weeks ago and theyre only just now at the stage of "putting it to a vote"? :shrug:

Anyways... I'll tone it down but I'll also state in here that there is a good bit of information about what's coming our way that's not public yet. The flooding report will be raised to 48.5ft tomorrow and it will stop there. I'll just say that's not likely an entirely accurate number.

No offense, I just know there have been lots of different "estimates" out there- and this has surpassed them all ( I also know some corps people). I saw the white river drop 3 feet this weekend even as the MS river rose 3 feet- both faster than "estimated".

Anyway, It has been announced- will be at the Fairgrounds. Stay tuned for more info

msavard
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
LAyout will be issued Wednesday. For those who missed it the first time, here is a basic layout not adjusted to BBQfest

http://www.memphisflyer.com/imager/tiger-lane/b/original/2222733/e36e/TigerLane-1.jpg

The Green (tiger lane) and much of the brown lots are grass and teams would be wise to consider getting flooring in those spots. Everywhere else is pavement and should be fine.

SmokeInDaEye
05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
It's going to be the most interesting trek to MIM I've made in a dozen or so years. I've only been to the fairgrounds once for a graduation. It seemed a little run down but that was inside. Anything's better than getting washed out to sea.

reeceb73
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
The city spent millions of dollars and really cleaned up the old fairgrounds (now called tiger lane). Its probably much different from when you saw it. Its actually a pretty nice place now. I just question if they can get everything done in time for the competition. There is a lot that goes into hosting this event and they have a week to get it all done. It will be interesting to say the least

msavard
05-03-2011, 02:17 PM
The 2011 Slab Yo Mama BBQ T Shirts. "Slow Smoked & Whiskey Bent"
BLUE : Large SSWB Graphic on front and Large Slab Yo Mama logo on back.
GREY : Small Slab Logo on chest and Large SSWB Graphic on the back.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227515_10150234595475250_396337845249_8998890_3025 281_n.jpg

msavard
05-03-2011, 02:18 PM
The city spent millions of dollars and really cleaned up the old fairgrounds (now called tiger lane). Its probably much different from when you saw it. Its actually a pretty nice place now. I just question if they can get everything done in time for the competition. There is a lot that goes into hosting this event and they have a week to get it all done. It will be interesting to say the least

Tiger Lane went a LONG way toward revitalizing what used to be a dilapidated concrete jungle. I'm actually kinda excited to see how it shakes out...

TO THOSE ON COOKING TEAMS:
Revised Team Info, Maps, Load In Times should be posted at the link below tomorrow (wednesday)!
http://memphisinmay.org/bbqteaminfo

TooSaucedToPork
05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
All Memphis in May BBQ Teams; Classic Party Rentals will offer a flooring refund less 25% cancellation fee until Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST. After Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST we will not offer a refund. We HIGHLY recommend flooring not be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. Keep in mind flooring is an integral part of your booth design. If cancelled, PLEASE BEWARE that flooring my not be available if site conditions are unfavorable at time of your arrival. Please address all questions to the office line 901-366-0670.

msavard
05-03-2011, 11:26 PM
All Memphis in May BBQ Teams; Classic Party Rentals will offer a flooring refund less 25% cancellation fee until Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST. After Wednesday, May 4th at 12pm CST we will not offer a refund. We HIGHLY recommend flooring not be cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. Keep in mind flooring is an integral part of your booth design. If cancelled, PLEASE BEWARE that flooring my not be available if site conditions are unfavorable at time of your arrival. Please address all questions to the office line 901-366-0670.

They could at least coordinate with MIM and wait till...say...6 hours after people get the grounds layout so they know if they're on grass or concrete.

Guaranteed they got wind that everyone's on asphalt and they know everyone's going to cancel so they're throwing this out as a face-saver... but throwing out scare tactics (HIGHLY recomment, PLEASE BEWARE, "Flooring is an integral part of your booth design") to try to hold some cash.

Glad we own our own floor.

TooSaucedToPork
05-03-2011, 11:37 PM
They could at least coordinate with MIM and wait till...say...6 hours after people get the grounds layout so they know if they're on grass or concrete.

Guaranteed they got wind that everyone's on asphalt and they know everyone's going to cancel so they're throwing this out as a face-saver... but throwing out scare tactics (HIGHLY recomment, PLEASE BEWARE, "Flooring is an integral part of your booth design") to try to hold some cash.

Glad we own our own floor.

yup, I thought it was crappy

Ponderosa BBQ
05-04-2011, 07:39 AM
so the bbq contest being held on tiger lane are the teams located on grass or the asphalt parking lot?

Ponderosa BBQ
05-04-2011, 07:42 AM
oh i see i found your map layout thanks for the info

Muzzlebrake
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Good luck to everyone competing in this thing!
I have been following this thread for a whiie now and am glad I'm not having to deal with this chit. One of these years, I'm going to have to come down and drink my way through this event so I can see first hand what is so special people will still go even when the Mississippi floods!

Good luck everyone, I will be cheering you on from dry high ground!

msavard
05-04-2011, 09:30 AM
oh i see i found your map layout thanks for the info

You're welcome. That map is simply a generic map of the grounds. The actual BBQfest layout will be released today at this address: http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbqteaminfo

As stated above, my SUSPICION is that most if not all teams will be setting up on pavement as Classic Party Rentals has set an absurd deadline to cancel their flooring replete with ominous overtones. We'll see though.

Bell Bottoms BBQ
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
You're welcome. That map is simply a generic map of the grounds. The actual BBQfest layout will be released today at this address: http://www.memphisinmay.org/bbqteaminfo

As stated above, my SUSPICION is that most if not all teams will be setting up on pavement as Classic Party Rentals has set an absurd deadline to cancel their flooring replete with ominous overtones. We'll see though.
All teams will be on Concrete! Some of the teams will be facing Tiger Lane for the view, but ALL of the sites will be on concrete.

I truly believe that this is going to be the BEST MIM BBQ yet!!

the MIM volunteers and officials are working day and night to make sure we have the BEST event possible and considering the hurdles that have been thrown their way, I think they are doing one hell of a job

msavard
05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Yep! Here's the email that went out:

Dear World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest Team Member,

First of all, thank you for your understanding and patience while we work through this very complex situation. Everyone is pulling together with a positive approach as we rise above the rising waters of the Mississippi River and get ready for part an historic 2011 World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest! Some of us were in a meeting well past 1 a.m. this morning addressing the issues and dealing with plans for situations. We will keep an open line of communication with you through periodic email updates. While we understand you have many questions, the following is the latest information we can provide on the major topics of this move.

MAP--The map is, for the most part, completed and is being reviewed to ensure accuracy. Please keep in mind that what took many weeks and countless hours to do for Tom Lee Park is now being done within a matter of days for the Fairgrounds/Tiger Lane. We will have a copy of it ready for you by 9 p.m. tonight. For those of you with riverview booths will now have Tiger Lane view booths---we feel confident that you will agree that this area is very pleasing. ALL TEAMS WILL BE ON A PAVED SURFACE.

LOAD IN--Given that we cannot schedule a load-in until the map is completed, as of right now we expect to have the new detailed load-in schedule to you tomorrow morning. For your planning purposes, load-in will start on Sunday so get ready! We will need your cooperation and flexibility with the load-in since the fairgrounds is different as far as accessibility and implores each of you to assist us in making this undertaking go smoothly. Once you are given your schedule, please make any and all efforts to make your assigned time work.

VEHICLE RESTRICTIONS – Tiger Lane is a beautifully landscaped and newly opened area in the Fairgrounds. We are confident that this will create a wonderful atmosphere for this event. However, as the City of Memphis has provided our accommodations, we have a commitment to the City to keep this area looking fresh and new. Therefore, NO VEHICLES WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE GRASS AREAS even during load-in or load-out. We will have the Pork Forkers who are pros are moving your rigs if necessary and we will have them in full force to assist in load in. Please know the seriousness of this, it is not designed to inconvenience you in load in. We will park vehicles on site and load in will STRICTLY be a drop and go to the parking area. You will be shuttled back to your space. Any team that drives on the grass will be disqualified from the competition.

SHUTTLE--We are currently working with Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau and MATA on a detailed shuttle schedule to accommodate our team members, sponsors and patrons from downtown to the new venue. At this time, shuttle services will run Wednesday through Saturday. Again, we are working on the details of the schedule and pick-up/drop-off locations and will provide those as soon as those are finalized.

CLASSIC PARTY RENTALS--We are aware of the concerns you are having with this situation and the deadline they have given your team. This matter is being addressed with Classic Party Rentals and we will notify you with an update as soon possible.

PARKING--In efforts to make this transition easier for your team and your team members, we are including one complimentary parking space for each team for all event days and additional spaces available during set-up.

TEAM PACKETS--For any teams that have not picked up your team packet or your team pre-order tickets, we will have those available for you on site at the Headquarters Building so that you may distribute accordingly.

Again, we really appreciate your patience while we make the nearly impossible possible and your faith that we will take of you in the only way we know how---WORLD CLASS.

Yazoo's
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
New map is posted
http://http://memphisinmay.org/assets/1600/tiger_lane_site_map.pdf

msavard
05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Sweet! We got a corner spot right mid park next to the Judges Tent! Tough to beat that. Slab Yo Mama will be dealing out of R-12 now. Load In looks like 7-9am Saturday. Very impressed with the way theyve brought this together from "lost" to top-shelf in such a short time. My hat is off to the MIM crew thus far.

As an upside... it looks like all the "Riverfront" teams got spots right on Tiger Lane and those spots look to be around 32x70 per slot! Very very nice upgrade in square footage.