PDA

View Full Version : Should I join KCBS?

chambersuac
01-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Brethren,

I have read a few posts in the past about people being displeased with the KCBS board, etc.

I am hoping to do a few comps this year and am thinking about joining KCBS. Is it worth it? I can compete without being a member, but I tend to lean toward supporting the organizations that are sponsoring things...

What say you?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff Hughes
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Join, you can't have any input from the outside...

rweller
01-11-2011, 10:30 AM
YES! :thumb:

bigabyte
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Shut up and join Chambers!:becky::thumb:

ssbbqguy
01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes. As said you have more of an opportunity to read the Bullsheet and get more out of the discussions than from the forums only, which can be misleading. Good luck. Steve.

Divemaster
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I would say join... Misery loves company... LOL

daedalus
01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
For me it was a no-brainer because I enjoy judging. If I want to be a judge, I need to be a member, so it was worth it.

Alexa RnQ
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Absolutely. I'm generally of the mind that if I intend to take advantage of competition and scoring structures set up and administered by an organization, the least I can do is support that organization through membership.

ModelMaker
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
If you compete in bowling you have to join the WBA,
If you compete in racing you have to join NASCAR,
If you compete in shooting sports you have to join their membership,
any "hobby" that you associate with pry has a organized body to watch over it.
If your going to play their game you should belong to their organization, if the organization sucks, do what you can to make it unsuck. Don't just stand outside and complain.
KCBS isn't a perfect entity, I pay dues, vote in their elections, and support their function.
I think you should too.
Ed

Red Valley BBQ
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Yes, membership does have it's privileges. I have made my money back in the hotel discount alone.

JiveTurkey
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I was in your same shoes recently trying to decide to join even if I didn't have to. After doing some competitions I was able to see the caliber of the people it takes to put on these events and the professionalism displayed by the KCBS reps. After the events over the New Years weekend I took a walk that involved some money so it was a no brainer for me to pony up and give some of it back. I'll avoid the politics. As long as they keep the comps as quality as they are now then I could care less what happens behind the scenes.

big brother smoke
01-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Join, Dan! I am up for renewal and will re-up, I want to be a paid member when things move in a better direction. I will have some decisions to make down the line, if there no hope to to re-direct the ship.

Warthog
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Join! You'll like it.

chambersuac
01-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks, y'all. Will be joining ASAP.

dmprantz
01-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp

willkat98
01-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Do you like junk mail, even years after you drop your membership?

If so, join up ASAP!!!

moocow
01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
You can't complain about the BoD unless you join!!:-P I think its worth the money.

carlyle
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I respectfully disagree with dmprantz. While joining just to join is not a good idea, joining to be a vocal, active, member who works to make things better is an excellent
reason.

I interpret the frustration expressed in this forum not as a slam on the organization, but rather active voices unwilling to accept the status quo. And most of the time I see it coupled with some positive ideas to make things better. IMHO.

So, to me, the positives about joining out weigh the negatives.

I would urge you to become a part of KCBS.

dmprantz
01-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I respectfully disagree with dmprantz. While joining just to join is not a good idea, joining to be a vocal, active, member who works to make things better is an excellent reason.

Actually, I think we do agree. The OP didn't say he wanted to be an active member and change things. He said he wanted to compete, and asked if he should join just because he wants to compete. By all means, if he wants to be active, I agree, he should join to be active, but if all he wants to do is compete in a few comps this year, I don't think joining is worth it. Again, my opinion, but you said joining just to join is not a good idea.....

dmp

Butcher BBQ
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
We all love to hate stuff, but the one thing we all want is a well ran contest. When you pay KCBS for a contest (entry fee) their contract with the organizer is the trust they have grown between their contest and the cooks. You know that 99 out of 100 contest that under the judges tent you will get a fair deal and not the good ole boys judging.

Jeff Hughes
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp

It's the best organization of it's type. Not perfect, but, better than any alternative.

If those who compete don't join, the organization will go away...

chambersuac
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
dmprantz, you make a great point. I didn't say that I wanted to be active in the organization. Joining just to join is a problem - just like joining a church just to join is. You're right. Yet, if I join, I will be as active as I can be - and that may scare so of y'all :) LOL

dmprantz
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
If those who compete don't join, the organization will go away...

I'm not arguing just to argue, and I'm happy to have said my peace and walk away, but since you said this in response to me....

How much of the KCBS' operating budget comes from members' anual dues? How much comes from judge training? How much comes from santioning fees? How much comes from the overpriced apparel they sell, or the branded credit card they spammed me about? I don't know the finacials of the KCBS, but I'm not gonna take your word that they depend on annual dues to pay the bills.

dmp

Jeff Hughes
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't know the finacials of the KCBS, but I'm not gonna take your word that they depend on annual dues to pay the bills.

dmp

Fair enough...

Smoke'n Ice
01-11-2011, 06:39 PM
:evil:Well, you made up your mind, but personally, I don't think it's worth joining just for the sake of joining, and as far as I know, KCBS doesn't sponser comps, they sanction them. If you have a Restaraunt Depot near you or plan to take advantage of any other discounts, by all means, do so, but I don't think my membership "got" me anything. I felt insulted by a member of the BOD, ignored by a staff member, I did not feel that my patronage was appreciated, and my votes for new BOD seemed to do no good. This is just one man's opinion, but if competitions don't require membership and you don't take advantage of the discounts, why bother?

dmp
I don't agree with the president, I didn't vote for him and I didn't vote for some or my reps. The key is I DID vote and therefore can disagree and have my say. Without a vote, I think I will leave the USA and go live in Mexico. It may be safer!!!lol:decision:

Smoke'n Ice
01-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Do you like junk mail, even years after you drop your membership?

If so, join up ASAP!!!

Actually, a simple email to the staff at the KCBS office will take you off the list. Is it possible to take you off the brethern junk mail list as well? Just a question, nothing meant!

JD McGee
01-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Nothing ventured...nothing gained...:becky:

bbqbull
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I renewed my membership 2 years ago.
This year I saved $10 dollars on my Sam's Club membership dues, also saved well over double the costs on my hotel fees while staying at a preferred hotel in Kansas City, Ks. while attending the American Royal.
I also vote in every election. Therefore I believe I have a right to voice my opinion when I address the KCBS BOD when I have a complaint.

BBQ_Mayor
01-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm a member, a cook and a certified judge but I don't judge. The only reason I keep with it is to get the Bullsheet. Thats worth $35/year. I'll never be TOY cause I don't cook enough and I don't take advantage of the other perks they offer (my fault).

Rookie'48
01-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Let me ask this: Why do you, as a cook, enter KCBS contests? Is it for the consistant judging, maybe because the prize $$$ is guaranteed to be there, could it be because you know that the rules for one contest will be the same as for another one? Is it because you know that you'll have double-blind judging by impartial judges - not the bank president who only wants his nephew to win?
These things are guarenteed by the sanctioning body - in this case KCBS. If none of the above is important to you as a cook then maybe you should only cook in the non-sanctioned backyard / county fair contests.

Here's another thought just for kicks: If you are not a member should you be eligable for ToY points?

Dale P
01-12-2011, 03:39 AM
I like the Bullsheet. I enjoy reading about contests from all over the country. I wish that the results were updated quicker, but I get by. $35 a year, the B-sheet alone is worth that to me. :thumb:

swamprb
01-12-2011, 05:40 AM
I asked myself when its time to renew, if it is worth it? I mean KCBS events are few and far between here in PNWBA land, and I can count on one hand the number of events I've been involved in. And when I read the Pacific Northwest reports from Bob Lyon in the Bullsheet, I cringe because they are not representing the BBQ scene around here. I suppose I could submit my own articles and hope they might be published?
If there is a KCBS comp here, I will cook it or Judge, because it's all about the BBQ.

Hub
01-12-2011, 06:00 AM
Please join. The current "thing" with the board involves some board members who do not understand the role of board service or the way the board functions for an organization. It will go away in time. The cost of membership is low and the benefits are significant.

tearl42
01-12-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm a member, a cook and a judge that doesn't judge. I enjoy competing and you never know when you are going to take the big walk and want to compete more, next thing you know your in the running for TOY. :crazy: Ok, maybe not, but I enjoy reading the bullsheet. :-P

chambersuac
01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Let me ask this: Why do you, as a cook, enter KCBS contests? Is it for the consistant judging, maybe because the prize $$$ is guaranteed to be there, could it be because you know that the rules for one contest will be the same as for another one? Is it because you know that you'll have double-blind judging by impartial judges - not the bank president who only wants his nephew to win?
These things are guarenteed by the sanctioning body - in this case KCBS. If none of the above is important to you as a cook then maybe you should only cook in the non-sanctioned backyard / county fair contests.

Here's another thought just for kicks: If you are not a member should you be eligable for ToY points?

Are you asking me? Heck, I don't know :heh:
I don't even know what ToY points are-I get to win toys? Cool. LOL

Divemaster
01-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Great Question!!! I may ask it at the meeting this weekend!

chambersuac
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
seriously, what are ToY points?

rweller
01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
ToY = Team of the Year

chambersuac
01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks, rweller

Rookie'48
01-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Are you asking me?

No Dan, that question was geared towards those who cook in (and get the benifits of) KCBS contests but refuse to join & then publicly downgrade the organization. It sometimes seems to me that the most vocal people against the KCBS are ones that sure seem to enter a lot of their contests.

CivilWarBBQ
01-13-2011, 12:43 AM
Short answer - YES.

chambersuac
01-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, it took me a few days, but I finally got around to applying for membership in the KCBS.

While I know some think that this was an unnecessary move - and/or a waste of money - I truly believe that if I am going to enjoy competing in KCBS sanctioned events - and if I want to have some legitimate say in things - I should join. My small entry fee won't make or break the organization, but I think it is the right thing to do.

I know that, according to posts in this forum, there are some things people don't like. I'm not sure what those things are - but will keep my eyes open and make my own decisions - and will be active in improving the organization in any way possible.

Thanks for all the prior input.

bbq.tom
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Congratulations "chambersuac"!

I believe in doing all that I can to advance the world of competitive barbecue and joining the KCBS is just one of those ways (IMHO).

Good luck!

chambersuac
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks, bbq.tom. Plus, I figured since I plan on winning ToY this year, I should join :) LOL

Divemaster
01-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks, bbq.tom. Plus, I figured since I plan on winning ToY this year, I should join :) LOL
I look forward to seeing you in either San Diago or Vegas... :clap2:

chambersuac
01-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I look forward to seeing you in either San Diago or Vegas... :clap2:

LOL, thanks, Jeff.

mobow
01-18-2011, 03:57 PM
yes!!

HoDeDo
01-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Dave-
I think if you want to take advantage of any of the KCBS member benefits... ToY, team bios, discount program, bullsheet, etc. you need to be a paying member. ToY - is a KCBS program, therefore you should be a member to be a part of it.

If you just want to compete occasionally, and dont care about any of the KCBS benefits, then don't join... but don't try to ride any KCBS sponsored things. Things like the ranchers reserve and sam's sponsorships, as well as the kingsford tie in... are all KCBS benefits.. so those would be differentiators to join up. (IMO)

Hogtie N' Ride
01-19-2011, 01:09 PM
The KCBS has been great to work with, well worth the fee. We have been involved in many sports, but have found BBQ to be an awsome group of people to be involved with. We judge, cook, and organize. The support from other BBQ'rs as well as the KCBS has been more than we expected. We truly love our BBQ family.

With a group of people and organization as large as this, there will always be disagreements. Good healthy debate will move the overall sport forward, not everybody will be happy with everything.

For the size of the organization and it's resources, KCBS performs well. Looking at the number of sanctioned events, members, judges, can't imagine how so few people keep it all straight, let alone getting out the Bullsheet, elections, etc. That said, there is always room for improvement and always someone to let you know where that is.