PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Go Naked BBQ Show(down) 2011, Greencastle, PA - April 2, 2011

tmcmaster
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey - just wanted to let everyone know that the 2011 Go Naked BBQ Show(down) registration begins on Monday! Forms and full details will be available at www.GoNakedBBQ.com (http://www.GoNakedBBQ.com) begining Monday morning!!

Limit of 18 teams on a first come, first serve basis...

Chipper
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Wings!! Cool!!!

dreed
01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Tim,

Make sure those that say they are going pay up front.

3MBB
Palmerton, PA

ClayHill
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
its my understanding that the payment must be with the registration form...

tmcmaster
01-08-2011, 08:22 AM
its my understanding that the payment must be with the registration form...
Correct.

Ron_L
01-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Mod note: I edited the thread title to make it a Competition Announcement and added the location and date to the title.

Good luck with the event! It sound like fun!

tmcmaster
01-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Hey everybody... Registration is NOW OPEN!

http://www.gonakedbbq.com/index.html

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Hey everybody... Registration is NOW OPEN!

http://www.gonakedbbq.com/index.html

are you cooking this one?

Red Valley BBQ
01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Our app will be in the mail first thing in the A.M. :thumb:

tmcmaster
01-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Just to clarify what may or may not have caused some confusion, remote, probe, constant monitor thermometers are NOT permitted. The premise of the contest in both spirit and letter of the rules is man (or woman), meat and fire. Of course, we DO want you to serve fully cooked meat, so instant read thermometers are permissible.

But, please, if anyone has any questions, feel free to email us at info@gonakedbbq.com and we'll answer ASAP.

Thanks for your interest!

nancee
01-14-2011, 08:39 PM
where is greencastle?
prize money?
thanks

ClayHill
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Each category will be awarded as follows:
1st Place: $300.00
2nd place: $200.00
3rd place: $100.00

A Grand Champion will be awarded for the highest cumulative score from Chicken and Ribs and will receive a cash prize of an additional $400.00!!!
Peoples Choice will have a separate payout, and will be based on the votes of the public.
All of our awards are paid in CASH!!! (and who doesn't love that?!?)
Peoples Choice Wing Champion will ALSO receive a FREE entry into the 2011 Smoketoberfest contest

ClayHill
01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Greencastle is small town 5 miles north of the mason dixon line along I-81

Red Valley BBQ
01-14-2011, 10:33 PM
How about an update on the teams that are signed up so far?

tmcmaster
01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
How about an update on the teams that are signed up so far?
We aren't publishing the full list until we have all 18.

As of last count we still have room for 8 teams.

Red Valley BBQ
01-15-2011, 08:36 AM
So if my application got lost in the mail, I won't know until I can't do anything about it? Maybe you should send an email to the teams that are "in" so far to let them know thier application has been recieved. :idea:

ClayHill
01-15-2011, 09:47 AM
So if my application got lost in the mail, I won't know until I can't do anything about it? Maybe you should send an email to the teams that are "in" so far to let them know thier application has been recieved. :idea:

Red Valley- an e-mail was sent out by Eric Forrester to those who are in early on, granted it was only like the first four teams,lol. The best thing to do is e-mail Eric. I just called his shop, he's not in, and his help couldn't answer for sure.

Hopefully Eric will send an updated list soon, if he were at his shop right now I would have demanded an e-mail for ya, :becky:

eric@mdbbqservices.com

ClayHill
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Eric called me back(props to him). He told me that as soon as he receives an application and payment, an e-mail is sent out the same day to give conformation to the team....hope this helps

tmcmaster
01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Here is the official, up-to-the-minute list:

1 - RED LION SPICY FOODS
2 - CLAY HILL COOKERS
3 - DRILLING & GRILLING BBQ
4 - CRAZY DOG BBQ
5 - PEPPERMONKEY BBQ
6 - DEGUELLO BBQ
7 - LO N SLO BBQ
8 - JUST SMOKIN' AROUND
9 - PHILLY BLIND PIG
10 - BLACK CAT BBQ
11 - ZOMBIE BBQ
12 - GOOD TO THE BONE BBQ
13 - OFF THE HOOF BBQ
14 - Red Valley BBQ

Still a few more slots open!!!

tmcmaster
01-15-2011, 01:10 PM
And yes, as soon as your application and payment are recieved, an email goes out that day thanking you and welcoming you.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-15-2011, 08:18 PM
And yes, as soon as your application and payment are recieved, an email goes out that day thanking you and welcoming you.

I have to admit that Eric and Dave are working there butts off on this one...for such an event they should get a big high 5!!!!:thumb::thumb::bow:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Here is the official, up-to-the-minute list:

1 - RED LION SPICY FOODS
2 - CLAY HILL COOKERS
3 - DRILLING & GRILLING BBQ
4 - CRAZY DOG BBQ
5 - PEPPERMONKEY BBQ
6 - DEGUELLO BBQ
7 - LO N SLO BBQ
8 - JUST SMOKIN' AROUND
9 - PHILLY BLIND PIG
10 - BLACK CAT BBQ
11 - ZOMBIE BBQ
12 - GOOD TO THE BONE BBQ
13 - OFF THE HOOF BBQ
14 - Red Valley BBQ

Still a few more slots open!!!

thats an awesome list you have there!!

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=tmcmaster;1511143]Just to clarify what may or may not have caused some confusion, remote, probe, constant monitor thermometers are NOT permitted. The premise of the contest in both spirit and letter of the rules is man (or woman), meat and fire. Of course, we DO want you to serve fully cooked meat, so instant read thermometers are permissible.

QUOTE]

I assume you mean constant read thermometers for the meat temp? Cause most cookers havea dial pit temp indicator, so I think a digital pit temp indicator should also be "fair".

If you need judges, I'll sign up to be one.

Chipper
01-16-2011, 06:56 AM
thats an awesome list you have there!!

Why isn't your name on it?

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Why isn't your name on it?

because I stink!

tmcmaster
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
I have to admit that Eric and Dave are working there butts off on this one...for such an event they should get a big high 5!!!!:thumb::thumb::bow:
Just Eric and Dave?:boxing:

tmcmaster
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Just to clarify what may or may not have caused some confusion, remote, probe, constant monitor thermometers are NOT permitted. The premise of the contest in both spirit and letter of the rules is man (or woman), meat and fire. Of course, we DO want you to serve fully cooked meat, so instant read thermometers are permissible.

I assume you mean constant read thermometers for the meat temp? Cause most cookers havea dial pit temp indicator, so I think a digital pit temp indicator should also be "fair".

If you need judges, I'll sign up to be one.

That is correct, only constant read thermometers that stay in the meat...

And we could still use a judge or two... Forms available: http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/forms.html

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
01-17-2011, 06:23 PM
Just Eric and Dave?:boxing:

what are you tring to say?:laugh:

Just Smokin' Around
01-17-2011, 10:03 PM
.... so I think a digital pit temp indicator should also be "fair".....

That is correct, only constant read thermometers that stay in the meat...

Sorry, but, I think they should NOT be allowed. It is an electronic device being kept in the smoker even if it's just monitoring pit temp. Plain and simple. Yes, most pits have a temp gauge on it, but, if it isn't working correctly, why should someone be allowed to use an electronic device to compensate? So, this mean I can use my Guru if I only use it to monitor pit temp and not use the fan or meat temp??? Gee, I can now alarm when my temps are off. Just saying, it ain't naked. I thought the rule was no electric or electronic devices allowed (I do agree with the thermopen usage, but that is not constant and is a safety issue) . I know you made the rules, but, Sorry, I don't agree with this one.

ClayHill
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Tim, I think your wrong on this one, as per your website

"NO DIGITAL BBQ, OVEN, CONSTANT MONITORING OR ROASTING THERMOMETERS"

This is located under the F.A.Q section

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Then ditch the thermopen's too and go with a dial temp for meat. Meat was still cooked safe to eat before thermopens.

I think it should be one or the other, no exceptions.

ClayHill
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Then ditch the thermopen's too and go with a dial temp for meat. Meat was still cooked safe to eat before thermopens.

I think it should be one or the other, no exceptions.

I would tend to agree. I couldn't tell you what my rib temps are.... as I go by feel not temp. And chicken I usually overcook anyways,:icon_blush:. I think the original intent of this contest was to eliminate all forms of electronics that assist in the cook. Does the thermapen assist in the cook?.....I feel it could(faster, more accurate read times, although a dial might beat my crappy slow orange themapen), does it give someone an advantage? I'm not sure

tmcmaster
01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Tim, I think your wrong on this one, as per your website

"NO DIGITAL BBQ, OVEN, CONSTANT MONITORING OR ROASTING THERMOMETERS"

This is located under the F.A.Q section
Correct. I mistyped the post. :doh:

Thermometers are permitted for taking the temp of the meat. And cannot be left in the meat.

The only constant read thermometers permitted are those mounted ON THE SMOKER/COOKER, that do not require electricity or connect to any electronic device.

Good Eye!

butt head
01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
As much as i'd like to do this it's getting a little to picky for me. good luck to all.

ClayHill
01-18-2011, 02:03 PM
As much as i'd like to do this it's getting a little to picky for me. good luck to all.

Picky........mabye, that depends on who you talk you. Its hard to make things confusion proof when its not the norm.

butt head
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Picky........mabye, that depends on who you talk you. Its hard to make things confusion proof when its not the norm.

not dis'n- I use probs and don't plan on buying a thermopen.

tmcmaster
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Questions are answered in greater detail on the FAQ page:

http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/f_a_q_.html

tmcmaster
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
That is correct, only constant read thermometers that stay in the meat are forbidden.

And we could still use a judge or two... Forms available: http://www.gonakedbbq.com/html/forms.html
amended

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi BBQ'ers!

OK, I've been reading and as much as I promised that I wouldn't post, I just can't help myself....ugh! But I think there needs to be some clarification on what we are trying to do with the Go Naked BBQ Show(down).

What are we trying to do? Have fun. Make good BBQ. Test our skills. Maybe make some money! But most of all have fun, because that is what BBQ is all about.

If you guys don't know me - that wouldn't be a suprise, my own wife sometimes pretends she doesn't know me, but I digress - I also organize the Smoketoberfest BBQ Challenge - and 47 of the 48 teams who were there this year will tell you that I like to have fun. And the Go Naked BBQ Show will be fun! Even if I have to drink it into you! (freudian slip!)

Dan, 3Eyez, when was the last time you ran your Backwoods without the Guru? Do you think you can still maintain a constant temp without it? What about if April 2nd is windy or chilly (which it WON'T BE!)? BTW, sorry to single you out - I'm sure you would do great :-P - and we would be happy to have you as a Judge!

Go Naked is about a blend of knowing your equipment as well as your spices, sauces, and meats. I'm not looking for you guys to do anything crazy like frog legs or turduckin. Just cook without electronic assistance.

As for thermapens, we will discuss amongst the organizers, but unless someone can show me a real advantage to knowing a meat temp in 1 second vs 10 seconds, I'm not sure they will be a problem. Difference with a constant read is that it is a crutch, i.e. if I don't know my equipment and meat, without a constant read meat thermo I will be second guessing myself, opening the cooker more than I should to temp my meat, releasing heat, changing the draft, and potentially changing the tenderness of my ribs!

That's about it for now. Sorry for the length of the posting.

Also, for anyone out there who would like to compete but only have a constant read, I will give you a standard meat thermo at Go Naked - for you to keep! I think they cost me $4.00! Reads meat temp in 6-12 seconds. I'm not kidding!

Eric Forrester
Mason-Dixon BBQ
According to my friends I have 1 of everything.
"Remember, BBQ is fun"

zombie barbecue2
01-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Just had my thermapen take a dump. Going back to Utah. I went and bought 2 analog meat thermometers. I check them for accuracy with a ice slurry and they seem to be good. I bought them at The Restaurant Store for 2 bucks each. I look forward to Go Naked.

Large BGE,
Coming soon:
Meadow Creek TS120

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Dan, 3Eyez, when was the last time you ran your Backwoods without the Guru? Do you think you can still maintain a constant temp without it? What about if April 2nd is windy or chilly (which it WON'T BE!)? BTW, sorry to single you out - I'm sure you would do great :-P - and we would be happy to have you as a Judge!

You missed my point. You are already constantly monitoring your pit temps using a dial on the pit. So really what difference does it make if I use a digital way of doing the same thing? The answer (I think) is that you don't want digital stuff. So if thats the case, using a thermopen is against said logic.

To answer your question. I've never run my backwoods without the guru. To me, they are one and the same, a system. I just think its time to judge a contest, thats all.

Slamdunkpro
01-19-2011, 03:52 PM
I just think its time to judge a contest, thats all.

Wanna rep it?:becky:

tmcmaster
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
You missed my point. You are already constantly monitoring your pit temps using a dial on the pit. So really what difference does it make if I use a digital way of doing the same thing? The answer (I think) is that you don't want digital stuff. So if thats the case, using a thermopen is against said logic.

To answer your question. I've never run my backwoods without the guru. To me, they are one and the same, a system. I just think its time to judge a contest, thats all.

The more judges the merrier!! Just wear clothes:pray:!!!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I understand what you are getting at re: no electric = no digital.

After discussion with GN board of directors (what?) - and yes, we keep our clothes on during meetings - we decided that the spirit of what we are trying to do - have fun and test non-electric BBQ skill - won't be compromised by the use of a thermapen vs a dial meat thermometer. And to err on the side of food safety, i.e. cooked chicken vs. not quite done chicken is in the best interest of all involved.

(18 Judges + 6 table captains + MABA Reps + volunteers )/uncooked chicken = one big mess of bodily fluids to clean up at Mason-Dixon BBQ. And guess who gets to clean that up?:faint2: (OK, my wife does, but she won't be happy about it!)

Eric Forrester
Mason-Dixon BBQ

"Really, BBQ is fun!"

Dan - 3eyzbbq
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Wanna rep it?:becky:

LOL, at this rate I'll never be a judge....

Red Valley BBQ
01-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Personally, I can't wait for this contest. Regardless of what the finer points of the rules are, I'm excited to do a comp that is out of the norm of a KCBS contest. Kudo's to everyone involved in putting this comp together!!!! :clap2: :thumb:

Chipper
01-20-2011, 05:28 AM
Personally, I can't wait for this contest. Regardless of what the finer points of the rules are, I'm excited to do a comp that is out of the norm of a KCBS contest. Kudo's to everyone involved in putting this comp together!!!! :clap2: :thumb:

Ditto that!

tmcmaster
01-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Still have some slots open for judges and teams. The field could also be expanded to 24 teams!

tmcmaster
02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Still some open slots for judges or teams.

We may extend the team count to 24.

Also, magician Marc Mayhem will be performing.

Please see www.GoNakedBBQ.com (http://www.GoNakedBBQ.com) for more information!

tmcmaster
02-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Still room for a few more teams and judges!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Brethren!

OK, we have reached the magic number with 18 teams officially registered as BBQ teams competing in THE GO NAKED BBQ SHOW(down) on April 2nd. We also have three teams "waiting in the wings" to see if we get to 24 teams. So we just need a few more teams to get us to 24! WooHoo!

As I'm new to the forum as a member, I am just figuring out how this posting stuff works and despite several tries, cannot seem to be able to cut and paste the info in a somewhat legible format....Ok, so I'm "special needs" when it comes to this stuff, sue me. :crazy:

Ok, forget what I just wrote, i just figured it out.....ugh.

GO NAKED BBQ SHOW(down) OFFICIAL TEAM LIST
1. RED LION SPICY FOODS, CHIP WELSH, RED LION, PA
2. CLAY HILL COOKERS, JONATHAN OTT, GREENCASTLE, PA
3. DRILLING & GRILLING BBQ, DAN THOMAS, GLEN ROCK, PA
4. CRAZY DOG BBQ, TONY GRAY, LANDISBURG, PA
5. PEPPERMONKEY BBQ, JOEL MATTESON, SHADYSIDE, MD
6. DEGUELLO BBQ, KIT RUDD, SPRINGFIELD, VA
7. LO N SLO BBQ, TOM PERELKA, NEW PROVIDENCE, PA
8. JUST SMOKIN' AROUND, BILL RITTELMEYER, WOODSBORO, MD
9. PHILLY BLIND PIG, TOM BERA, PHILADELPHIA, PA
10. BLACK CAT BBQ, JENNY WINDSOR, SEVERNA PARK, MD
11. ZOMBIE BBQ, CHRIS MUMAW, BETHLEHEM, PA
12. GOOD TO THE BONE BBQ, ERICH KLEINSCHMIDT, FREDERICK, MD
13. OFF THE HOOF BBQ, LANCE WALLER, HAVRE DE GRACE, MD
14. RED VALLEY BBQ, SEAN MOFFAT, OIL CITY, PA
15. HUMBLE GRILL BBQ, JAY WETHERALD, WAYNESBORO, PA
16. WILBURS REVENGE, DAVID MARKS, COLLEGEVILLE, PA
17. PHILLY UNDERHOGS, ALEX COVRLJAN, PHILADELPHIA, PA
18. TINY'S BBQ, JOSHUA SHADE, BEECH CREEK, PA

Remember, we are still taking apps for competitors until March 15th. But don't wait - no more than 24 teams - and really, I mean it this time! (seriously, 24 will be it, really....no really....I'm not kidding...).

AND WE STILL NEED JUDGES!

Thanks!

- Eric
Mason-Dixon BBQ

"BBQ is less fun in the snow and ice, but still....less fun = fun!"

Tack
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I hate being one of the ones waiting in the wings Come on people just 3 more teams till I am in !!!!!

tmcmaster
02-08-2011, 07:05 AM
This is going to be a great event with great teams!!!

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi BBQ'ers.

We've received a rash of questions (man am I itchy) about the Go Naked BBQ Show(down) recently, so I thought I would post the Q&A's here......remember, still need three teams to get to 24.....

Here's the stuff.....

Excuse me while I play devil's advocate. What's Go Naked's stance on wood or charcoal burning pits that use a rotisserie, such as an Austin National, ABS, or Southern Yankee?

Thanks for bringing this up. We talked about the use of rotisseries on charcoal burning units and after heated debate cooled down by ice cold, frosty beverages, we decided that although this might leave some great stick burners out of the comp, no electric means no electric. Although a rotisserie isn't as much of an advantage (although some will disagree that it's an advantage at all, but I digress) as a Guru or pellet cooker, it is still an electronic advantage. So to keep this competition on an even playing field, we decided no electricity other than a battery for a meat thermometer to check meat temps. Sorry rotisserie guys.
Is there going to be any electric available (for lights, coffee maker, hot plate, etc...)? If not, we'll make do. Also, will there be water available for cleaning, water pans, etc...? One last question, will this be on grass or in a parking lot?

Unfortunately, unless you bring a generator, there won’t be any electric available on site. If it helps I’ll be making coffee and will have buy one get one free McDonald’s frappe coupons available….and McDonalds is only a mile down the road……..:thumb:
We will have two wash stations with hot and cold water; set up for cleaning pans, etc. There will also be grease barrels and extra dumpsters around…..
The competitors will be set up on a hard gravel lot. It’s fairly level and the surface is hard, but not good for pulling a Big Green Egg across, etc. – I speak from experience on this. If you need assistance moving stuff around, we do have a lift available. Think of a gravel driveway that has been driven over for 10 years…..

If you go to Google Earth and Google the address, you won’t find the right place…..seriously, you have to pan up the road about a mile east from where the address points. If you find the Shady Grove Post office you have passed the building by about 100 yards – in the Google Earth image you can see a semi pulling into my lot. Behind my building you will see a large, open area. That’s where you are going to be!

What about bathrooms?

There will be Porta-potties set up around the store and near the Comp area – they are free, but we will be selling TP for only $1.00 per sheet!
I see where you can come and set up Friday night and get your meat inspected. That would certainly make it easier Saturday morning getting started. My question is about security. If I set up and leave my cookers, tables, etc there, will there be any security or is the cook area fenced in where it can be locked? I didn't plan on spending the night in Eric's parking lot…..

If you count me in a robe and slippers waving around a newspaper screaming "you damn kids get off my lawn", then yes, you can say there is security! Seriously, I don't think there will be any issues. You might get cat prints on your cooker - I can't seem to catch that darn cat - but there will be someone here overnight to make sure your stuff does not walk away. If it does, just don't look in my truck!
Thanks again for all your inquiries. We are looking forward to a great, FUN! event.....

- Eric

Eric Forrester
Mason-Dixon BBQ

"Only 6 weeks to Go Naked!"

Red Valley BBQ
02-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Ok, got one more question for ya...

Any plans to expand the payout? It would seem that since the original payout was based on 18 teams, if you get to 24 teams, you would also increase the prize money and/or increase the number of places paid.

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-11-2011, 03:33 PM
How concerned are you that you won't be in the top 3?

- Eric

MASON-DIXON BBQ
02-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Seriously, let us get to 24 teams and we'll see what changes......

- Eric

Red Valley BBQ
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Top 3? What's that? :confused:

With the extra $$$ I was kinda hoping that the comp would pay to 12th place.

Tack
02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I just want it to get to 24 teams

Tinybud
02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
oh great, now I gotta get creative on what cooker to use since i can't use my southern yankee,, might be time to bust out the old char griller. Never gave that a thought that I wouldn't be able to use the yankee, no problem , just move to plan b. ..lol..

tmcmaster
02-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Top 3? What's that? :confused:

With the extra $$$ I was kinda hoping that the comp would pay to 12th place.
It will likely be expanded payouts. Once we have all 24 teams, we'll post more updated info. Don't worry.:thumb:

ClayHill
02-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I heard all extra money was to go to Pot Belly BBQ's competition fund :shocked::heh:

Pot Belly BBQ
02-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Jonathan What till you see what I'm doing to my Peoria! I have it at my shop I was grinding on it all day. I was going to get you to do the work but I can't aford ya. So I got last years High school maryland state champion welder so well see how it turns out. And the extra money vegas here we come .

tmcmaster
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
We still need to get those 24 teams before we worry about payouts changing. So, if you are 'on the fence' about signing up, go a head and send it in and show the world what your 'Naked BBQ' looks like...

tmcmaster
02-18-2011, 06:30 AM
www.GoNakedBBQ.com (http://www.GoNakedBBQ.com)

We are ONE TEAM AWAY from 24!!! If you are thinking about it, wondering about, or just want to shut me up about it, this is your last chance!

With all the 'devices at comps' in other threads, this is your chance to show everyone (if you are not on the gadget train) hwo to do 'Naked' BBQ!!!

ClayHill
02-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey Jonathan What till you see what I'm doing to my Peoria! I have it at my shop I was grinding on it all day. I was going to get you to do the work but I can't aford ya. So I got last years High school maryland state champion welder so well see how it turns out. And the extra money vegas here we come .

You better not be messin up your cooker...

Cant afford me? Ha......I take trades you know

(Sorry for the hijack Tim...)

Pot Belly BBQ
02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Man where have you been? I thought you may have fallen asleep in the tractor in someone's field. The SS has been gone since Nov. So what have you built this loooong winter? I guess I'l see you in april 2nd. You take care and I'll see you soon.

tmcmaster
02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Have we mentioned there will be a band, Marc Mayhem's Menagerie of the Macabe, Mason-Dixon BBQ Company's Open House, and my favorite spice vendor will be on site with ALL KINDS of spices, rubs and herbs, Spices Inc (www.SpicesInc.com (http://www.SpicesInc.com))?

There are some AWESOME teams and this is going to be a fantastic event.

tmcmaster
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
OK, Gang... We have our "Terrific 24!!!" Stay posted here or to our website: www.GoNakedBBQ.com (http://www.GoNakedBBQ.com) for more details and a final, complete listing of the rules (in accordance with MABA judging)!

Teams ae listed here: http://www.gonakedbbq.com/GO_NAKED_BBQ_TEAMS_-_FINAL_24.pdf

MASON-DIXON BBQ
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi there Brethren!

Below is the Official list for the competitors in the First Ever Go Naked BBQ Show! As Tim said, we got to 24! WooHoo!

GO NAKED BBQ SHOW(down) OFFICIAL TEAM LIST
1. RED LION SPICY FOODS, CHIP WELSH, RED LION, PA
2. CLAY HILL COOKERS, JONATHAN OTT, GREENCASTLE, PA
3. DRILLING & GRILLING BBQ, DAN THOMAS, GLEN ROCK, PA
4. CRAZY DOG BBQ, TONY GRAY, LANDISBURG, PA
5. PEPPERMONKEY BBQ, JOEL MATTESON, SHADYSIDE, MD
6. DEGUELLO BBQ, KIT RUDD, SPRINGFIELD, VA
7. LO N SLO BBQ, TOM PERELKA, NEW PROVIDENCE, PA
8. JUST SMOKIN' AROUND, BILL RITTELMEYER, WOODSBORO, MD
9. PHILLY BLIND PIG, TOM BERA, PHILADELPHIA, PA
10. BLACK CAT BBQ, JENNY WINDSOR, SEVERNA PARK, MD
11. ZOMBIE BBQ, CHRIS MUMAW, BETHLEHEM, PA
12. GOOD TO THE BONE BBQ, ERICH KLEINSCHMIDT, FREDERICK, MD
13. OFF THE HOOF BBQ, LANCE WALLER, HAVRE DE GRACE, MD
14. PINE CREEK BBQ, GARY PHELPS, WELLSBORO, PA
15. HUMBLE GRILL BBQ, JAY WETHERALD, WAYNESBORO, PA
16. WILBURS REVENGE, DAVID MARKS, COLLEGEVILLE, PA
17. PHILLY UNDERHOGS, ALEX COVRLJAN, PHILADELPHIA, PA
18. TINY'S BBQ, JOSHUA SHADE, BEECH CREEK, PA
19. TACK'S BBQ, BILL ALLEN, MILLVILLE, NJ
20. CHRISTMAS CITY, TOM FEIL, BETHLEHEM, PA
21. PEQUEA PULLERS, STEVE APPLE, LANCASTER, PA
22. SISTER SUE’S BBQ, PAM CRUSE, MARTINSBURG, WV
23. BACKYARD BURNERS, JOHN KIRBY, BALTIMORE, MD 21236
24. APPLEWAY BBQ, JEFF STOOPS, ST THOMAS, PA 17252

Not too shabby!

- Eric
MASON-DIXON BBQ

"I keep buying more grills....someone help me!"

MASON-DIXON BBQ
03-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi Brethren.

Thanks for all the great emails we've received from the Brethren regarding The Go Naked BBQ Show(down)! Thanks for all of your support - only three weeks to go! Just got the trophies in - you guys are going to LOVE these bad boys!:becky:

Some of you have asked about the rules for the Comp. We just sent them out to all the teams and I thought I'd post them here as well - just in case you are interested for next year!:wink: So here they are.....

The Go Naked BBQ Show(down) Rules

1. There are no rules, this is the Wild West – WooHoo!

2. Forget Rule #1, not sure who wrote that, but he must have been an idiot!

3. El Biggo Rulo (that’s Spanish) – no electric! That means no……

a. Pellet Grills
b. BBQ Draft Controls of any type – i.e. Stoker, BBQ Guru, etc.
c. Rotisseries (unless hand cranked)
d. Constant stay-in style thermometers ala Redi-Check
e. Electric/Battery assisted vacuum marinade machines, including vacuum marinade tumblers

i. Footnote – vacuum marinade machines that are
hand pumped will be allowed

ii. 2nd footnote – the committee has reached out to the BBQ community on this particular rule as the electric vacuum marinade machine is more a matter of prep than cooking; the overall response from BBQ’ers has been that allowing electric devices like these doesn’t “feel” (one guy even said “icky”) right for the type of competition we are trying to put together, but because it is a one day Comp and it involves prep, we are allowing manual vs. electric vacuum units. We will accept all concerns/debate/mature responses regarding this rule through March 15. If there are deep seeded concerns about this, please feel free to express your thoughts. By end of day March 15, majority rules….if you, the competitors decide that allowing electric vacuum marinade machines is OK, we will concede the point.

4. Electric or battery powered knives WILL NOT be permitted. At this level, everyone should know how to use a sharp knife.

5. Thermopens WILL be allowed. This is a food safety issue as much as anything else, not to mention that no one has been able to show that a Thermopen is a distinct advantage for the user vs. a dial meat thermometer that reads temp in 8 seconds.

6. Propane torches WILL NOT be allowed for starting fires. Boy Scouts will be available for consultations regarding alternate means of fire starting.

7. Every one of the competitors in this competition has expressed their desire to do this comp because no electric will be allowed. The idea is back to the basics – know your equipment, know your meat, know your flavor profile, and control your fire to maintain a constant temp in conjunction with weather conditions present. So I think this will be obvious, but this must be written down (I’m told that makes for civilized society) – ANY VIOLATIONS OF THE NO ELECTRIC RULE WILL LEAD TO IMMEDIATE DQ – and a serious blow to your BBQ credentials! (Also, I will then feed your ribs and chicken to the unwashed masses of BBQ fanatics that will be at the Open House and will tell them all that you will be happy to help them with their BBQ questions, regardless of how annoying they are!)

8. If you are unsure if any of the equipment you will be using will be considered as ineligible – please ask before using! Anything questionable will be reviewed quickly by Tim, Dave, and I and a ruling will be made on the spot. If it doesn’t “feel” right, think twice.

9. MABA rules are the outline for judging. Essentially the same as KCBS standards – no modeling, no LP gas for cooking, stuff like that, but NO Garnish. Garnish will consist of aluminum foil sheet(s) which will be provided in the turn-in boxes. Any questions regarding MABA rules can be answered by Mike Fay, President of MABA. Let us know if you need to reach him or have any questions.
That’s about it for our rules if you have questions or concerns or we have been way too vague about something, please feel free to email your questions to info@gonakedbbq.com (info@gonakedbbq.com).

Thanks.

- Eric
MASON-DIXON BBQ

"My 6-year old daughter said "Go Naked, I do that all the time! What's the big deal?"

Chipper
03-29-2011, 08:06 AM
We can't wait for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones. And Sal...

ClayHill
03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm torn...........do I wish for rain? and use that to my advantage(cold rain is my friend)

or wish it doesn't rain for the sake of Eric's open house????

I'm going to be a nice guy this time and hope it doesn't rain..........but if it does, I had nothing to do with it

Slamdunkpro
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm torn...........do I wish for rain? and use that to my advantage(cold rain is my friend)

or wish it doesn't rain for the sake of Eric's open house????

I'm going to be a nice guy this time and hope it doesn't rain..........but if it does, I had nothing to do with it
How do you feel about snow?

ClayHill
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
How do you feel about snow?

I like snow too........:becky: