PDA

View Full Version : chicken trimming

mobow
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Am going to do a practice comp cook this weekend of ribs, butts and chicken. I have read many threads where individuals state they hate trimming chicken and that it takes a lot of time. I have not found it to be overly time consuming and so wonder if I am missing something. I start with smart chicken thighs (air chilled no water added). I trim off excess skin to square things up a little and remove a little edge meat to give it some uniformity and call it good. I know some de-bone. But for those of you who cook bone in do you do anything else that I am missing? keith

JD McGee
01-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Nope...not me...that`s about it. I like my chicken to look like chicken...;0)

TN_BBQ
01-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Post a few pictures (top & bottom) and maybe we can help you out.

Prepping chicken doesn't take forever, but that chicken fat is slimy and nasty stuff.

I also don't think you can do much to the chicken once it is cooked and that leads a lot of folks to be more particular on the front end.

luckyduk
01-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I hate trimming chicken also, but it normally doesn't take me all that long, maybe 20-25 minutes from start to finish wipe down. I think some of the gripes are from people that scrape the skin......now that is torture!!!

Buster Dog BBQ
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
You can certainly help yourself out by buying more consistent looking pieces if possible. How many pieces are you trimming. I hate trimming 24 more than 6.

Southern Home Boy
01-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I think it's like anything else in BBQ: you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want.

I've pretty much done the spectrum and decided that I'll go middle of the road:

Bone-in, meat trimmed to uniformity, skin off, scraped for bulk and rewrapped for cooking.

mobow
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
You can certainly help yourself out by buying more consistent looking pieces if possible. How many pieces are you trimming. I hate trimming 24 more than 6.

Good point. I usually do 8 at this time. keith

JD McGee
01-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I used to buy my chicken at Costco...but you never know what you're gonna get. Now I buy it from the local market and have it trimmed/cut to my liking. All I have to do is trim off the tamale...shape it up a bit...and it's ready to roll. :thumb:

beam boys bbq
01-07-2011, 07:00 PM
loly pop chicken has any one see this i have never seen an pic of how this is done:doh:

Contracted Cookers
01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
most gripes are from scraping the skin

TN_BBQ
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Good point. I usually do 8 at this time. keith

You cook 8, or you turn in 8?

Some folks turn in 8 so the last judge also gets a choice

dmprantz
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I thought every one just threw them in a muffin pan and plopped them out for turn it?

mobow
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
loly pop chicken has any one see this i have never seen an pic of how this is done:doh:
York,
Good to see you on here. Susie and I are about to finish up our master judge certification. When we cooked with you it inspired me to compete. I hope to do a half dozen contest this year. Hope we run into each other. I have seen the lolipop turned in at a few contest. It looks like they release the meat at the bottom of the bone and then push up into a clump towards the other end. Don't remeber what is done with the skin or if it was skinless. Hope that helps. keith

mobow
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
You cook 8, or you turn in 8?

Some folks turn in 8 so the last judge also gets a choice
I am cooking 8 at this time because that is what comes in a pack. I am practiceing for my first comp. I have judged close to 30 contest but have never competed. Once I get to a contest to cook I will probably cook 16 to get 6 to turn in. keith

Dale P
01-08-2011, 05:36 AM
Last comp we did we cooked 32 pieces. 32!:shocked:
We usually cook 16, but we tried 2 methods. Matt and I worked on a new recipe for months and introduced this to the other 2 team mates at the comp. Our new method was the winner.

It takes me at least 10 minutes each piece to trim. What a pita. But after all of the work, the outcome was awesome! :thumb:

Ford
01-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Let me say "I hate $#%&*^ chicken".

The tough part is removing fat from skin. I finally learned to.filet the fat off and did 8 pieces in 30 minutes. Took Carolyn that long to do 4. I trim off more meat than you. Can put 10 to 12 in a half pan.

JayAre
01-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I usually end up with more trimmings than actual peices of thigh, which makes some pretty awsome chicken and noodles!!! Ive got it down to about 8 minutes per piece, scraping takes the longest but it well worth it