PDA

View Full Version : High Scoring Tables

Tim H
01-04-2011, 06:34 PM
In Mike Wozniak's interview in the January 2011 KCBS Bull Sheet relating to his win at The Jack, Mike states "...and get lucky as to which tables your entries land on. We cooked four good entries this year and we hit three failry high scoring tables. In other words, we got very lucky"

Am I missing something, or misinterpreting Mike's comment? Obviously, you know how you scored, but how do you know how the other entries that were at your table scored? Without knowing this information, how would you know if you were part of a "high scoring table".

:confused:

Smokin' Joe
01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't think Mike is saying he "knows"....In my opinion

He beleives he hit the "right" or high scoring tables, he's being humble:becky: They cooked their butts off all year, and kicked my arse on multiple occasions including at the Jack:-D

HoDeDo
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Anyone can ask KCBS to see the cards... and after cooking long enough, if you see your scores and all the judges are scoring high, it is a safe bet that the table is "high scoring" Obviously the food has to be good, but if I pulled a 180, it was probably safe that it was a high scoring table for example. The same food at two different tables will most definitely score somewhat differently. So I would say you are misinterpreting

No doubt Mike was being a little gracious and sharing some his victory with table luck. He didnt need a good table to win... the man can cook. He's one of my high water marks for sure. I know I've cooked well if I beat him. The title is well deserved, and definitely earned. Congrats Woz!!!!

Tim H
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks Andy.

I am fairly new to comp cooking (KCSB or otherwise) so please understand my ignorance on this.

Are you saying that, in addition to my scores, I can request the score cards from the other entries that were at my judging table? If this is the case, would I know what scores went with what team, or would I just get 5 other sets of scores/numbers?

... just curious, at the end of the day, I guess all that really matters is how my scores compared to ALL of the other teams (not just the ones at my judging table) anyways.:-D... having a "high" scoring table of judges (and being a great cook - as Mike is) would be a fortunate circumstance however.

Divemaster
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone can ask KCBS to see the cards... and after cooking long enough, if you see your scores and all the judges are scoring high, it is a safe bet that the table is "high scoring" Obviously the food has to be good, but if I pulled a 180, it was probably safe that it was a high scoring table for example. The same food at two different tables will most definitely score somewhat differently. So I would say you are misinterpreting

No doubt Mike was being a little gracious and sharing some his victory with table luck. He didnt need a good table to win... the man can cook. He's one of my high water marks for sure. I know I've cooked well if I beat him. The title is well deserved, and definitely earned. Congrats Woz!!!!
I had a number of high points this season but the highest was at Libertyville when I beat Trig (I was one of his students) and tied (and won the flip) in brisket with Mike. Just to tie with him makes me wonder who ended up on the 'high scoring tables' LOL

Congrats again Mike! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Buster Dog BBQ
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks Andy.

I am fairly new to comp cooking (KCSB or otherwise) so please understand my ignorance on this.

Are you saying that, in addition to my scores, I can request the score cards from the other entries that were at my judging table? If this is the case, would I know what scores went with what team, or would I just get 5 other sets of scores/numbers?

... just curious, at the end of the day, I guess all that really matters is how my scores compared to ALL of the other teams (not just the ones at my judging table) anyways.:-D... having a "high" scoring table of judges (and being a great cook - as Mike is) would be a fortunate circumstance however.
You get a sheet that shows each category for every team and their score. Further, you get to see how each judge scored your entry. Don't get caught up in the scores everyone else is getting. Focus on getting your scores up high and consistent then you can start worrying about other teams. But it is luck of the draw when you turn in the box.

carlyle
01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Buster Dog has it right about the procedure.

I really like what he says about the attitude advice.

The luck of the draw does enter into it. Those of us inside the judging area do not know how the scoring numbers are going unless the Reps see something worth
commenting on.

At our contest, I do not try to control who sits at what table. While I know who my repeat judges are, I do not know what each of their scoring tendencies are like. Nor do I wish to know.

To me, trying to "stack the deck" inside the judges area defeats the spirit of competition that KCBS goes to great lengths to preserve.

I'll add my compliments to Mike as both a great cook and a gracious person.

Just my perspective on this important issue that needs discussion.

HoDeDo
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Yes, as a new guy, it would be important to note they try to keep the judging as random as possible.... for example, if you got that "high" table.... you would only have it once, as you do not go to the same judging table twice in a comp. The reps/capt. ensure that there are different judges for your entry for each catagory. Luck of the draw indeed!

Mike, winning the Jack, Kingsford Circuit, and the TOY, well that is about the biggest statement about him as a cook .... Nailing it on all those fronts, all in the same year...

And to answer your question, no, they cards wont correlate back to a team... But you will typically never ask for them, unless you felt there was some error. You will get the info you need from the score sheets.

If you make it out to any events I'm at, I'd be happy to walk through it with you, and let you see what we get, and how I analyze the info in the scores. It's an interesting process over-all.