PDA

View Full Version : BBQ In Ft Walton Beach, FL

stewartr002
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Headed that way in a week. Any suggestions for really good pit BBQ? Thanks in advance.
Randy

nolesfan954
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Carrie's at the foot of Brooks Bridge on Hwy 98, on the FWB side. If it's not called Carries anymore, I can't vouch for it...but I lived there for 25 years and it was always the best. Was there for Christmas, but didn't notice if it had changed hands.

nolesfan954
01-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Oh yeah, there's also Family BBQ on Racetrack Road. It was always good
--hole in the wall kind of place--but I was somewhat disappointed last summer when I ate there.
Then there's always Sonny's a chain on Beal Pkwy if you don't like the idea of the others. Their food is good in a chain way--nothing to write home about, but good.

stewartr002
01-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the leads. Think you are talking about Kinfolks and Brooks Bridge BBQ and Cafe. I'll try them for sure. Sonny's is a favorite (I'm from Orlando originally). Was just home and brought back 4 gallons of the Sweet and Sassy sauce. Thanks again.
Randy

nolesfan954
01-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I was just getting ready to edit my post...I don't know why I said Family's when I know it is Kinfolks and Brooks Bridge BBQ...Carrie's dates back to when I was a kid, and that was a looong time ago. I checked with my father and he still swears by Brooks Bridge so that would be my first stop.
Have a safe trip.

stewartr002
01-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Well, I'm back from my trip to Ft. Walton Beach and had the pleasure of eating in 4 different BBQ joints. Not bad for a 3 day visit. I also visited an excellent restaurant in the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport (of all places). Here are my reviews:

Brooks Bridge BBQ - 240 Miracle Strip Pkwy., dinner, had the sampler
4 1/2 stars (of 5)
Excellent pulled pork, sausage, brisket, and chicken, all hickory smoked, tender and juicy, tomato based sweet sauce complimented meat but wasn't over powering, big portions
Sides (turnip greens, sweet potatoe) served home style and very tasty
Sweet tea was excellent
Very reasonable price - $16.50 with a piece of pecan pie to go

Woody's Hog Heaven - 117 John Sims Pkwy, Lunch, had the sampler
4 stars of 5
Very good ribs, brisket, sliced pork, and sausage, hickory smoked, tender but the brisket was not as juicy as I like it, several sauces offered, I chose the sweet, tomato based, had a nice pit smokey flavor, good portions
Sides (potatoe salad and coleslaw) were okay but nothing special, potatoe salad had a lot of mayonaise flavor and the slaw dressing was a sweet vinegar, not bad but nothing to write home about
Sweet tea was too sweet, had to order the half-n-half, that was good
Average price - $20.85 for all

Kinfolks - 333 Racetrack Road, had the 4 meat sampler
3 of 5 stars
Ribs, sliced pork, sausage, brisket were hickory smoked but had the least amount of smoked flavor, and were all a little dry, one sauce offered was mustard based (North Carolina style) and tasty, portions were good
Sides (potatoe salad and coleslaw) were okay but not great, potatoes were mushy and the dressing was too over powering in both
Sweet tea was very good
Lowest price - $13.60

Sonny's - 925 North Beal Pkwy, had the big 4 meat sampler
4 1/2 of 5 stars
Ribs, sliced pork, brisket, and chicken had excellent smoked flavor, were juicey, and their Sweet and Sassy sauce is a favorite of mine, portions were very good (as always, filled me up)
Sides (turnip greens, sweet potatoe, garlic bread) were very tasty
Sweet tea was excellent
Price - $17.90
(Disclaimer - I grew up eating at Sonny's in Orlando, Fl. so it's kinda become a standard that I measure others by)

Cousins - Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport, concourse B, by gate 26, ate there twice (coming and going), had the 3 meat combo the second time
4 1/2 of 5 stars
Ribs, brisket, chopped pork had superb smokey flavor, their brisket was the best tasted of this trip (and is one of the top of all briskets I've tasted), their sauce (tomato, sweet, tangy) is very good
Sides (green beans, turnip greens) were tasty, good home cooked flavor
Sweet tea was excellent
Price - $22.70 (most expensive of the trip, expected in an airport)
I have to say that I was surprised to find such good BBQ in the airport but after reading their background, I understand why. They have won lots of awards and are big in Texas around the Dallas and Ft Worth area.

After eating so much BBQ this week, I couldn't wait to get home and back to smokin'. I've got 3 racks of ribs ready to go on the smoker (Traeger, Lil Texas Elite). Based on what I tasted this trip, I believe my ribs rank right up there with the best...but I'm probably a little biased, ya think?

Thanks for reading. Smoke on!

Randy