PDA

View Full Version : Competition Ammenities...

JD McGee
12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi folks...when you are competing at an event what would you like the sponsor to do for you in order to make the event a hit? I look back at a few venues last year and a couple stand out...

Langley...catered potluck, free beer, coffee & pastries, team goodie bags, live entertainment.

Duvall...free meats, charcoal, sauce for teams that vended to the public, team goodie bags, free water, free ice.

I am working with an event sponsor that wants to know what the teams are looking for...what will bring you back year after year...???

Thanks,

JD

Slamdunkpro
12-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Hi folks...when you are competing at an event what would you like the sponsor to do for you in order to make the event a hit? I look back at a few venues last year and a couple stand out...

Langley...catered potluck, free beer, coffee & pastries, team goodie bags, live entertainment.

Duvall...free meats, charcoal, sauce for teams that vended to the public, team goodie bags, free water, free ice.

I am working with an event sponsor that wants to know what the teams are looking for...what will bring you back year after year...???

Thanks,

JD
I may look at comps a little differently, but the goodie bags, free this and that, and things like live entertainment take a back seat to things like

Some kind of free/discounted/delivered ice, even if it's one free bag a day. I don't mind paying for it either but don't gouge me to the tune of $8 per 10 lb bag.
Plentiful porta pots. Competitor only pots in the comp area if possible.
Local water, if not possible at every site then don't make us drag a bucket 1/4 mile each way. Same with gray water disposal.
Parking at our site - Don't give me grief about parking my SUV (I sleep in it) at my site when there are RV's all around me.

Buster Dog BBQ
12-21-2010, 06:42 PM
water, good power, ice and parking with some room are all I care about. Usually too busy with ribs, pork and brisket to catch the breakfast although it is real nice to have a hot one Saturday morning like biscuts and gravy.

Don't really care for goodie bags as much as I usually don't use most of what's in them. I know from contest to contest they do some cool stuff but that money I would rather see ribbons to 10th place that don't look like something from 6th grade.

big brother smoke
12-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Clean conditions: site, powder room,
Spaceous: parking, site
Essentials: water, ice, gray disposal, etc.

ZILLA
12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
This is what makes me happy at a comp.

Strict enforcement of noise curfew.
Ice at or near cost
Trash pick up
Power
Water delivery/access (somewhere)
Air conditioned/Heated hall for awards ceremony
Good communication from the promoter
Abundant Port-O-Cans
Fireant pre-treatment of team sites
Grass mowed not just shredded
Clear site boundary markings

Other rules I wish for

No personal vehicles allowed to operate during the event including golf carts and ATV type vehicles.

Teams must keep their generators in their own living space, not on my side of their RV or truck.

PA speakers must point into your own camp not outward towards other camps.

No Karaoke, EVER!

Kids under 18 need to be supervised by a parent at all times and be kept in their camp after dark.

No mudding on the two track exit road until all teams have left the grounds.

NO PETS!

No teenagers allowed to drive 4X4 trucks within the contest area.

Jeff_in_KC
12-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Free electricity
Bring me water... don't point and say "it's over there"
Come get my trash and don't make me drag it across the area to a dumpster
At least give ribbons to 10th place
Pay out in prizes what we as teams pay for entry fees and don't use us to make money
!!!Enforce quiet hours!!!
Hold awards on time as scheduled

What a lot of organizers fail to realize is the cooks are the show. No cooks and you have no event. I know of one organizer one season (won't say here when) who had half the teams pissed off at her before noon on Friday! Her attitude of "we know what we're doing - we've done bigger events than BBQ before" (she actually told someone this) when it was a first year event failed to set well with many teams.

bbqbull
12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Pump out the porta potties daily is a huge one for me.

txschutte
12-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Enforced quiet hours.
Central located water/ ice
plenty of meat inspectors
Good electricity
Security to eyeball the crowd

Trucky1008
12-21-2010, 09:33 PM
This was our first year, so I only have 5 comps to go on, but here's my list:

Good power- 30 amps if possible
Water-available at several points or delivery
Port-a-Potties- Cooks only pots
Plenty of parking for team vehicles
Frequent trash pick-up or close drop-off points
Organizers that don't wait until 2 days before the comp. to send out a packet or instructions!
Perfect weather- okay, that's a stretch!

ZILLA
12-21-2010, 09:40 PM
This was our first year, so I only have 5 comps to go on, but here's my list:

Good power- 30 amps if possible
Water-available at several points or delivery
Port-a-Potties- Cooks only pots
Plenty of parking for team vehicles
Frequent trash pick-up or close drop-off points
Organizers that don't wait until 2 days before the comp. to send out a packet or instructions!
Perfect weather- okay, that's a stretch!

I don't mind some weather. It tends to weed out the weak and the sick!

JD McGee
12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Good stuff...keep 'em comin' folks...I'll compile a common "like list" after a few days. We can then use the list as "suggestions" for the comp organizers/sponsors...:thumb:

Slamdunkpro
12-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Teams must keep their generators in their own living space, not on my side of their RV or truck.
This.

Another one is good site management - If I call up and let the organizer know that I'm coming in later in the afternoon on Friday, don't stick me in a site where 25 people have to move all their EZ-UPs so I can get my cooker into my site. Leave enough isle space so that competitors can get in an out without disrupting everyone else.

NRA4Life
12-22-2010, 05:40 AM
I would have cooked an additional event last year if they had allowed pets, but they didn't. We take our dog with us where ever we go, and if an event didn't allow pets I wouldn't cook at it. So I'd request:
* allow pets

Willie's Smokehouse
12-22-2010, 06:05 AM
There is an event down here, and every year they make it hard to have our meat inspected. Last year it took us over 2 hours for someone to finally come to our site!!

WineMaster
12-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Hot chicks in tank tops delivering the ice.

Ron_L
12-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Free, clean, reliable power solves this, but if there is no power, I agree with Zilla and would also add a maximum noise level for generators AND enforce it!

Lake Dogs
12-22-2010, 07:06 AM
I've attended a few comps that were at campsites, that had showers available in
addition to bathrooms. This was NICE (to be able to grab a quick shower in the
morning). Breakfast was nice, but I usually had to send someone to grab some of
it for us...

Power
Water
Garbage pick up
Ice delivered, and at or close to cost
Clean porta potties, close proximity
Gray water disposal
Grease disposal
Showers available
Parking (right there, for RV's/etc)

If there's a crowd, 24 hour security would be nice (last competition twice had a
group of drunk kids [two different groups] rumble through our site)

Then, for cool factor, I've never been at a competition where they bought the
meat for you, other than for a peoples choice category. The free beer seemed
nice, but then we're usually not drinking that much beer unless it's after the
competition and we're allowed to camp Saturday night. THEN we tend to drink.
I'm not much for goodie bags. For the most part I've either given most of that
stuff away or thrown it away. At one comp they gave us one of those really
nice electric charcoal lighters; I gave that away too...

As to pets, we have dogs. If it's a close proximity competition I'll sometimes
just leave them at home (wife travels back and forth taking dogs out, etc).
However, farther than say an hour away and if pets aren't allowed, I'm not
going to pay to board them (in addition to the other expenses). IMHO,
for the teams that are dead set against them, there are about as many that
really want them allowed. Perhaps IF allowed put some serious rules/constraints
on them (ala. walked on a leash, picked up afterwards, etc) with enforcement
(like enforcing the quiet time).

watg?
12-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Hot chicks in tank tops delivering the ice.

Great idea!

KC_Bobby
12-22-2010, 08:49 AM
The basics of:
water/ice delivery - til 9-10 pm and start back up at 6 am
free elect - at least 20 amp - 30 amp would be better
trash pick up
award calls for 10th place on down to 1st in all categories and overall - even if no prize exists (10th place should be getting something assuming its top third)

Additional bonuses:
a dispatch phone number for all deliveries, pick ups and meat inspection (or a flag to hang up so volunteers know who needs something)
fairly level sites that are well marked and are not stacked on top of each other so trailer teams can get rigs in
access to site Thursday night (helps teams with larger trailers when available)
central location of judging site - not in the corner of the area so some teams have a few feet and many others have to walk 1/2 mile. Grounds should try to put teams around the judging site on all 4 sites when possible

CBQ
12-22-2010, 08:41 PM
- Showers
- Lots of reliable power, 15 amps or more per site (contests at locations that have RV sites are ideal)
- Long sites (40' or more) that can handle RVs
- Grey water dump or tank pumping option
- Team breakfast is a nice touch, along with trash pickup and extended hours for ice availability

beam boys bbq
12-22-2010, 09:03 PM
good power

we did this one at our contest big hit

clothing pins with different collers of ribbon on them

blue we needed water
green we had trash we needed picked up
white we needed ice
pink we needed help want something

this way our gators boys could fly down bbq row and see what you needed with out talking to everyone made them faster on getting everything taken care of :doh: what an idea:tape:

bbq.tom
12-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Lots of good ideas and needs here. I would definitely agree with the power and parking at/near the site as most important.

We always take enough water, ice, etc., and I've not been at a competition where there weren't available port-a-pots or trash recepticles.

trueque
12-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Is there a character limit here ...

2010 was my freshman year competing and first time RV/trailer owner, so I hit many learning curves throughout the year. Being a father and son team, I found the most value at comps with an all inclusive entry fee and delivery of basic services to help me understand my costs upfront and compete efficiently. Nothing gets under my skin more than being nickel and dime'd!

I could not agree more with most of the comments posted. I am actually going to reflect more than add to this list, but also going to use this list to create a questionnaire to start vetting out competitions and organizers before registering.

promoter:
- good communication, weeks before and during the event
- all inclusive entry fee (don't nickel and dime the teams)
- do NOT make your money off of the teams
- thursday evening check-in (pre-scheduled)
- timely inspections
- enforce generator noise
- enforce noise curfew
- central turn-in location
- awards on time / as scheduled
- 90-100% entry fee payouts
- payout to 5th place minimum
- ribbons to 10th place
- saturday overnight extended stay

sites:
- large (30x40 min)
- vehicle parking in space
- clearly marked
- rv friendly (level, paved, hookups)

power:
- reliable
- free 20 amp service
- 30 amp available, cheap upgrade
- available by Friday move-in (If move-in starts at 9am, power should be on, not at noon)

water:
- delivered or multiple local water stations

ice:
- delivered
- free or at cost

waste:
- clean porta potties
- garbage pickup
- gray water disposal
- ash disposal
- grease disposal

Additional thoughts ...

Communication before the comp is key. Everyone is great about having registration available months in advance, but maybe socialize the official schedule, payouts and physical address before team move in on Friday. I had to google map one comp, look for private parks by name and hope for the best because I could not get physical location out of the organizer other than, "its north of town and on the left a few miles". I still don't know how they get their mail. Maybe I can't take a hint! ;-)

Power seems to be the single biggest issue at the majority of the comps I attended last year. That should be a priority to get correct. This would make competition life easier for all involved.

If you want me to leave your site as clean as I found it, provide the waste disposal services to make it happen. I don't want to dump my grease in the weeds, but if I have no other choice that is exactly what I am going to do. It isn't going home with me.

Respectfully Submitted,

jbrink01
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
You guys have said it all in many different forms. For me it's real simple. Respect for me as a competitor and my investement in your event along with respect for ALL the KCBS rules. Keep your "free" cr@p - nothing is free. Lower my entry fee if you have sponsors, as I really dont need a nother can cooler.

CivilWarBBQ
12-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Only one thing I can add that hasn't been said:

Grass sites available for teams that don't have a monster RV. Setting up your tent in a parking lot sucks. Big time.

KC_Bobby
12-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Grass sites available for teams that don't have a monster RV. Setting up your tent in a parking lot sucks. Big time.

Depends on the weather. While I like grass sites when it's dry and hot, I can't stand them for spring comps or when the storm comes in.

But to your point, it is nice to give teams a choice when available.

KC_Bobby
12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
power:
- reliable
- free 20 amp service
- 30 amp available, cheap upgrade
- available by Friday move-in (If move-in starts at 9am, power should be on, not at noon)

This is a good point. Last year we had one comp that the power was not hooked up fully to all teams until after 4pm. Fortunately we had a generator.

Come to think of it, the water stations didn't have their tanks filled til after nightfall too

Granted, the weather early in the day was stormy. But not sure why these items were not completed the day prior. I remember that same event the year prior didn't have part of the elect completed til late in the day as well.

NorthwestBBQ
12-23-2010, 09:23 PM
I would have cooked an additional event last year if they had allowed pets, but they didn't. We take our dog with us where ever we go, and if an event didn't allow pets I wouldn't cook at it. So I'd request:
* allow pets

As to pets, we have dogs. If it's a close proximity competition I'll sometimes
just leave them at home (wife travels back and forth taking dogs out, etc).
However, farther than say an hour away and if pets aren't allowed, I'm not
going to pay to board them (in addition to the other expenses). IMHO,
for the teams that are dead set against them, there are about as many that
really want them allowed. Perhaps IF allowed put some serious rules/constraints
on them (ala. walked on a leash, picked up afterwards, etc) with enforcement.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but I have a big problem with dogs at events. I have a food handlers card and according to their rules it is not safe. Most food born illness comes from cross contamination. :mod:

ZILLA
12-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Step in a pile of dog crap pre dawn Saturday morning in your own camp then tell me how you like dogs at a comp. Go to a dog show if you want to tote your dogs with you. No farking pets allowed, especially dogs!

NorthwestBBQ
12-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Step in a pile of dog crap pre dawn Saturday morning in your own camp then tell me how you like dogs at a comp. Go to a dog show if you want to tote your dogs with you. No farking pets allowed, especially dogs!

:clap2::thumb:

CivilWarBBQ
12-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Then ban all radios because somebody might play them late at night.

And all generators because there might be a noisy one.

And all diesel vehicles because somebody might sit in one running the heat/ac forever stinking up the place with exhaust.

Etc., etc.

Let's not start down the road of condemning all because of the behavior of the few. When interfacing with the human race is too taxing, better to stay home where you have more control over your environment.

Bentley
12-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Have water & gray water that are not a 5 minute walks from my site.

Great point below about my car on site, I sleep in it too, but it cant stay but the 600 foot MH can...thanks I wont be back next year.

I am always last to a competition, thanks for putting me between two teams that have each taken 1/3 of my site and just say deal with it, we were here 1st! EM!

And can I get a cup of farken coffee, dont need buscuits & gravy, dont need breakfast....can you help a Brother out?

NorthwestBBQ
12-23-2010, 11:55 PM
Then ban all radios because somebody might play them late at night.

And all generators because there might be a noisy one.

And all diesel vehicles because somebody might sit in one running the heat/ac forever stinking up the place with exhaust.

Etc., etc.

Let's not start down the road of condemning all because of the behavior of the few. When interfacing with the human race is too taxing, better to stay home where you have more control over your environment.

It's a sanatary issue. No Health Department approves of it. Radios and Generators do not make judges sick.

CivilWarBBQ
12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Health Departments don't approve of BBQ competitions period. That's why there is a contract including a liability waiver signed by each judge. Who's to say if the offending pile was deposited by a cook's dog or a park visitor a week ago?

Cooking outdoors includes a variety of hazards. To eliminate them all to the satisfaction of a health inspector you'd have to require every team to use an NSF approved cooker mounted in a $20K mobile kitchen. Besides, how often do you hear of a judge actually getting sick from competition food? Personally, I never have. Yet I know several cooks that travel with their dogs, including some rather famous teams like Butt Rub and Lotta Bull.

Nothing wrong with requiring dogs to be confined and owners to clean up after them. But I think banning all pets is going too far. It's not right to punish responsible people unilaterally because of the bad behavior of a few scofflaws.

Dale P
12-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Radios vs dog chit? I can stick my fingers in my ears but hate dog chit between my toes.
Ban the dogs. Sorry but our last comp there were too many piles around us. I like dogs but I hate their chit.

ZILLA
12-24-2010, 07:05 AM
CW, I know many dog owners that take care of business as I'm sure you do. Dustaway is a great example of a responsible pet owner at comps, however for ever one of him and you there is one arsehole letting his dog crap in the public area. If you let one you have to let them all.

JD McGee
12-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks folks...I appreciate all the responses...concerning dogs at comps...if the sanctioning body / HD rules allow it then it's up to you whether or not you choose to compete.

Allowing dogs at comps would be considered an amenity (which is what this thread is about) for those that choose to bring their dogs. Pretty black and white issue...

Personally I would love to bring Jake The Destroyer (our German Shepard) to comps with us...but our rules do not allow it...so I don't.

Buster Dog BBQ
12-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Radios vs dog chit? I can stick my fingers in my ears but hate dog chit between my toes.
Ban the dogs. Sorry but our last comp there were too many piles around us. I like dogs but I hate their chit.

It's all the owners and should be the organizer to enforce pets on a leash. I take two dogs to each contest. Granted they are small dogs but they are always tied or on a leash and they don't bark. They never get in the kitchen area of my toy hauler either. We've all sean free roaming dogs at contest. Also seen contest where local dogs run wild in small towns. No different to ask neighbor to pick up dog chit as it is to turn down music.

If I had to board my dogs I wouldnt compete due to the cost. Around here most boarding places close noon on Saturday for the weekend so you pay for 3-4 nights.

sitnfat
12-24-2010, 10:55 AM
dogs taste better than goat if smoked right at least thats what I tell people near me who let their dogs roam free:twisted:. I try to go prepared for just about everything it doesnt matter if I am in a camp ground or off in a holler in the sticks.. My biggest complaint is websites.. Like today I am trying to work on my schedule and there are a few who have updated they competition webpages but most are last year. I have to plan my comps around music events here at the winery as well as my spray schedule and harvest in the vineyards. If you are gonn have your event up on say the KCBS website for example please make sure your website is updated!

Dr_KY
12-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Health Departments don't approve of BBQ competitions period.

Cooking outdoors includes a variety of hazards. To eliminate them all to the satisfaction of a health inspector you'd have to require every team to use an NSF approved cooker mounted in a $20K mobile kitchen.

This isn't fully correct.
Yes I know I'm in another country but Food Safety Hygiene FSH demands that there are no pets allowed in or around areas of food preparation in any cases. We have to stand by these rules for vending and competition, on the vending side of things we must have a barrier on the floor and for us this means a simple as a ground sheet and all food and cooking equipment but be kept off the ground.
6.13 No animals or pets (excluding registered guide or carer dogs – certification must be provided at the time of application) are allowed on site. Any animals brought on to the site will be removed at your own expense. Failure to do this may result with your removal from site, with no refund of pitch fee.
I have and love dogs too but in my case it's not about them being disruptive.

Rich Parker
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
You might as well ask the squirrels, racoons, and possums to stop pooping outside near the comps too.

I like easy access to my site to stay on topic.

JD McGee
12-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Rich...folks...could we please keep this on topic...I'd hate to see this thread go to the dogs...pun intended...:becky:

beam boys bbq
12-24-2010, 10:06 PM
It's all the owners and should be the organizer to enforce pets on a leash. I take two dogs to each contest. Granted they are small dogs but they are always tied or on a leash and they don't bark. They never get in the kitchen area of my toy hauler either. We've all sean free roaming dogs at contest. Also seen contest where local dogs run wild in small towns. No different to ask neighbor to pick up dog chit as it is to turn down music.

If I had to board my dogs I wouldnt compete due to the cost. Around here most boarding places close noon on Saturday for the weekend so you pay for 3-4 nights.:thumb::clap2::thumb::clap2:

my dog keep my boy entertained and boarding is not cheap my dog stayes in the living quarters of the toy hauler and not in the kitchen does not bark and i clean up her stuff ( I think that falles under keeping your sight clean)

just my two cents
:roll:

Dale P
12-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I have 2 dogs. I love dogs. I do not mind if people brings their pets at all. It is the free roaming dogs that bother me. Thats all I got.
Peace.

Bentley
12-25-2010, 12:18 PM
If possible, a central location for turn in and judging, meaning if I am a team on the outskirts, it is not all the way on the other side of the contest. Centered, trivial I know, but try getting to contests at 5pm on Friday. Guess where you get put.

Lake Dogs
12-25-2010, 01:02 PM

I ABSOLUTELY agree with the stepping in a pile, absolutely!

That's why I said "IF". We've never not picked up after ours; NEVER.
Immediately too. And to those folks that dont, they should be disqualified,
IMHO. Plain and simple.

Lake Dogs
12-25-2010, 01:11 PM
See, quite a bit of stuff regarding dogs on here. Most any RV campsite worth visiting
has very strict rules regarding pets a) always being on a leash (no free roaming) and b)
the feces must be picked up immediately. Having these rules would be expected by
anyone who has done this more than a time or two. For that matter, it ALWAYS ticks
me off when they aren't enforced strictly, because I'm taking a pile of crap to MY
garbage can when/whilst I *slide* in someone else's dogs crap!

Meaning, I understand Zilla's remarks completely. However, I think they can be
allowed and strictly enforced. Otherwise (without strict enforcement), please dont
allow them.

dmprantz
12-25-2010, 09:02 PM
My preferences have all been stated I think, but since you are keeping tabs, here is a list:

Communication is key before the event. Don't ignore my eMails or give me vague answers. Stay on top of things.

Be nice. I've had one organizer and one rep be a total d-bag to me. Won't repeat.

Power. I'm not picky, but 15-20 amp service is a must. I won't do an unpowered comp.

Water. Have it at or near the site.

Facilities: The best comps have indoor plumbing for competitors, especially if it's heated or air conditioned. Ample porta-johns will do, but indoor is better if possible.

Sites. "Normal" size (20x10) is fine. just keep the delineated please.

Parking. Let me park my car at my site as long as it stays in the boundaries.

Ice. Have it. Affordable is nice, free is better. I don't need a ton of ice, but if I just paid $200 to enter, don't send me home with a $25 ice bill!

Enforce curtesy: This has been said several times, but prohibit loud generators and radios after quiet hours. Prohibit and turn off bright lights after midnight or earlier.

Some one else suggested this in the thread, and I love the idea of a phone number to call for ice and other things. Maybe even allow texting to it: Text your ICE SITE_NUMBER to 888-555-1212 for ice or MEAT for a meat inspection.

Disallow golf carts at the comp!

Start awards on time! We get penalized by a DQ if we are more than five minutes late for turn ins. How about the rep/organizer pays each team a dollar penalty for every minute past five that they are late? And have penty of seeting wherever you have awards.

Breakfast is nice. Not required, but really nice.

Things I don't care about include the following:

Dinner on Friday night. Usually the food isn't that great, and I'm busy trying to get started at that point anyway. Free beer is appreciated, but not a big fan of food.

Live music. It's not a bad thing. I think it's cool for the guests or big teams, but I'm too busy cooking to go see a band.

Goody bags. I'm down for a free T-Shirt, and maybe a free bottle of Jack, but I don't need aprons or some one else's butt rub, or random bag of Jasmine Rice!

I think that sums it up. Good luck with your comp!

dmp

carlyle
12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
WOW! This thread is wonderful!

Went through each response and took notes. They will go to next meeting for discussion.

I was very happy to note that we already do many of the requests and now I have
ideas for changes/ additions to take to the group.

While I am sure we won't be able to adopt everything, this is valuable input.

All organizers should read this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

This is the kind of helpful info I was hoping to find at this site.

Dr_KY
12-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I would be alright with someone from the HD available to give safe food handling advice to those that need it.

Dr_KY
12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Reasonable prices and suplpy of wood and charcoal.

JD McGee
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I would be alright with someone from the HD available to give safe food handling advice to those that need it.

Good idea Doc...I'll put out some feelers here with our local HD. :thumb:

CivilWarBBQ
12-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Good idea Doc...I'll put out some feelers here with our local HD. :thumb:

Careful! :tape2:

Getting the Health Department involved with competitions is usually not a great idea, at least in this country. Many contest cooks are not going to meet the requirements the HD sets, which are designed for commercial vendors.

Once you open Pandora's box by inviting the inspectors you may not be able to undo it. I would suggest you talk to other contest organizers in your state about this before you do so.

JD McGee
12-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Careful! :tape2:

Getting the Health Department involved with competitions is usually not a great idea, at least in this country. Many contest cooks are not going to meet the requirements the HD sets, which are designed for commercial vendors.

Once you open Pandora's box by inviting the inspectors you may not be able to undo it. I would suggest you talk to other contest organizers in your state about this before you do so.

I'm not talkin' about an actual inspector...just a copy of the regs from each county. We deal with HD inspectors all the time up here when we are doing public sampling for charities along with our competitions...for the most part they are very helpful...:-P We did 3 public charity events last year and I'm proud to say not one team (that was sampling) had any issues. :thumb:

Matt_A
07-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Instead of having the HD come in, see if you can find a local Food Handler instructor. Many vo-techs have them, some community colleges have a culinary dept. or even contact a local culinary school.

sincitydisciple01
07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
This may have been mentioned, but would like to see recycling bins for plastic AND glass. We did one event (Mission KS) that went out of there way to accommodate both, but others, not so much. Not to get all wavy gravy, but it's easy to do and would cut down on trash.

Brewer
07-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Clean crappers (many-stall) are a must. I don't mind walking 150ft to get ice & water or dump my grey water & grease. I have my own quite generator but will use power if avail, and I sleep in my trailer which is part of my space. Those that choose to party typically don't bother me and I can understand delays with inspection and awards.

BUT... the one thing that really pisses me off is having to strap on a set of waders to wade through the backed up morning after crapper mess only to find the only two crappers at the event site are out of service or so damn dirty that they may as well be out of service....:tsk:

Dr_KY
07-21-2011, 12:31 AM
At Grillstock this year each team was given a Thermapen, charcoal and wood chips.

GreenDrake
07-21-2011, 06:04 AM
I think another good thing is to ensure that the public is well aware that the load in or first day is not a "free sample day". I can't tell you how many people were under the impression that during setup and prep, meat inspection and all day one prep, that we were there to give them food....people came up to me asking when I was giving out samples or asking "how much?".

I understand that some of the vague verbiage in marketing the events is intentional, but I also want people to enjoy what it is we all are fanatical about, not leave upset day one because they got the wrong message about what a competition is all about. More vendors selling is not a bad idea for the first day.

ParkAvenue_2
07-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Consider seperate goody bags for local teams vs teams coming to your comp from out of town.

We've been to a number of comps out of our area where the goody bag had stuff like coupons for local merchants. Not sure I'll be using a coupon for some local laundry mart or a furniture store or whatever when I'm only in town Friday night and Saturday. :doh:

Give that stuff to the local teams and give the team coming in from out of town a case of bottled water or something else they can use that weekend instead.

smalls65
07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Things I look for:

Clean maintained porta-potties;
Free water at MY SITE;
Ice delivery at a decent price;
Of course- reliable power;
ENFORCE QUIET TIME!!!!; :tape:
Reps should make sure teams play music so it doesn't ring out over the whole contest area!!;
A 24 hour real bathroom facility with HOT WATER available!! (showers on site are even better);
24 hour security;
MORE THAN ENOUGH MEAT INSPECTORS!!!!!;
and last but not least....start awards on time!!! :thumb:

Other things like free breakfast and lunch Friday night are nice, but aren't deal-breakers for me...Not to big on the free-goodie bag either...