PDA

View Full Version : WiredBBQ.com and the Banquet

Jeff_in_KC
12-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Just curious as to the course of discussions that led the entire BOD to determine that allowing WiredBBQ.com to broadcast the banquet TOY awards and election results was a bad idea. I see no negative aspect to this and many people who will get the honor of walking to the stage I'm sure would love to be able to have had their families at home see them receive these honors. Maybe a board member will discuss.

Ford
12-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Looks like the podcast is out there. It's a little late for me to start listening tonight but once I hear it I'll add a comment on the discussion. It's near the end so it may be painful.

Jeff_in_KC
12-17-2010, 10:39 PM
That's odd... I didn't see the podcast when I posted this...

Just Pulin' Pork
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Jeff one word............ SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!! I can not wait to see what they do next! They are so pathetic!

Candy Sue
12-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.

White Dog BBQ
12-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.

Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?

Rich Parker
12-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Was WiredBBQ.com proposing to charge for this?

Sounds like the BoD was expecting to be paid by WiredBBQ.com and didn't want them to set a precedence of a low market price without others putting in proposals.

At least that is what it sounds like to me.

Jeff_in_KC
12-18-2010, 11:22 AM
So they expected to be paid to get free publicity online? They expected to be paid so that my family and everyone else's families could see us get awards that we all worked hard for all year? That would be disappointing to hear that this really was the case, Rich. I hope you're wrong.

Begs the question... how is this decision in any way doing what's best for the TEAMS? That's why we need cooks on the board and not all reps!

leanza
12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
What BS!
I usually stay out of these conversations. But I was looking forward to the cast. I never hear anything positive coming from or about the BOD.
What BS!

Gene01
12-18-2010, 12:03 PM
The board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, KCBS might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (BBQ TV and others) who have also been long supporters of BBQ. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.

Jeff_in_KC
12-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Gene, last I heard, the banquet was nearly full. There is only room for 600 members in that room. There are over 14,000 members out there. I understand the thought but people don't come to the banquet just for the awards. If they were planning on going, it would be to have chances at the raffles for prizes and contests and to enjoy a weekend with friends. Seeing any of us getting awards would be way, WAY secondary.

ThomEmery
12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
The proposal to web cast the meeting was on the table just days after the Jack

Jorge
12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Nobody else submitted a proposal, and it wouldn't be fair to allow the one group that took the initiative to broadcast?

HoDeDo
12-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe there were no other proposals, because there was not another group wanting to do it? If BBQ TV or others had wanted to do it, I would think they would have asked. Or, If KCBS were worried about equal time for folks that might want to broadcast... KCBS could have offered to open it to be broadcast by multiple organizaitons. In actuality it should help the event grow, not shrink.... folks that are unable to attend, could watch it, and get excited to come to the next one. I don't see how the conclusion could be made that it would cut the throat of the event. But obviously the board acted unanimously... so there had to be something driving it. oh well... Not the outcome I expected , but not surprised.

Thanks for the frank commentary Gene. I wholeheartedly disagree with the thought process, but appreciate you sharing it.

leanza
12-18-2010, 01:43 PM
the board only felt that many people would not come to the event itself if they could stay home and watch it online, kcbs might be slitting the throat of it's own event. We would also not have time to put it out to others who may have a desire to film this event and it would be unfair to them (bbq tv and others) who have also been long supporters of bbq. There was no talk of charging money for the oppportunity to produce this either.

There board nothing against wiredbbq.com just the effect of not allowing all or disallowing all is the only fair way to do this, who knows, maybe next year with more notice, the board may reconsider.

bs....

leanza
12-18-2010, 01:44 PM
nobody else submitted a proposal, and it wouldn't be fair to allow the one group that took the initiative to broadcast?

bs...?

HoDeDo
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Well I know an afterparty that might make great footage! :) <going to room now>

Jeff_in_KC
12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes it just might Andy! Email sent.

SmokeInDaEye
12-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Wow. I don't normally get involved in KCBS debates but this is the most mentally challenged thing I have ever seen. Why would broadcasting the event cut down on attendance? People would much rather see a concert live than watch a webcast that is impersonal and choppy.

I would have submitted a counter offer to come broadcast it if that's the issue but PR101 says the more coverage the better...

If anyone has contact info for the WiredBBQ guys please shoot it over. I've got some ideas. :)

Jeff_in_KC
12-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Wow. I don't normally get involved in KCBS debates but this is the most mentally challenged thing I have ever seen. Why would broadcasting the event cut down on attendance? People would much rather see a concert live than watch a webcast that is impersonal and choppy.

I would have submitted a counter offer to come broadcast it if that's the issue but PR101 says the more coverage the better...

If anyone has contact info for the WiredBBQ guys please shoot it over. I've got some ideas. :)

I know, right? :crazy: Let any and all come! BBQ TV doesn't do live broadcasts so it's altogether different! Let them BOTH show up!

White Dog BBQ
12-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Let me get this straight -- KCBS just invested significant resources in promoting the Team of the Year race. An innovative company comes along and offers to broadcast the awards ceremony celebrating the race internationally and free of charge. Rather than accept the gracious offer, they reject it. And in the process, they cut out the great number of KCBS members who can't attend the banquet, and penalize a big supporter of BBQ for being innovative.

It's shortsighted thinking like this that is holding KCBS back. Rather than waste time trying to combat the evils of nepotism and e-mails by Board members, it should be focusing on opportunities like the one presented by WiredBBQ. What a wasted opportunity.

Gene01
12-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Just as an FYI, I like the people at wiredbbq, I have nothing against them.... the fact is it was e-mail posted 72 hours before the meeting, it gave no time for any others to submit, the agenda for the public was only out the day or 2 before the vote, it was only out 2 days for board members who are to vote, no other comparable groups could be reached and the board was not thinking it would be fair and that it may drop attendance at the banquet.

drbbq
12-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey Gene, Thanks for being available and honest. Guys may disagree with you but at least there is civil communication.

HoDeDo
12-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I dont think anyone on the board has anything against wired BBQ. There would not be any reason for them to. I was just voicing my disappointment in the thought process. Some others have echoed that sentiment. I'm not saying that you are holding any group in disfavor, i just think the board has taken the wrong approach.

I normally stay out of these threads, Its just the last two elections I have tried to vote with folks I thought would have some of the same ideas I do, and It appears not to be the case. It blows my mind that the entire board would vote against something as innocuous as streaming the awards. The Royal and the Jack both came to the same conclusions I thought our board would.

Just the ability for the international viewers alone would be something KCBS has never had before. I just would think the positives would have outshown the potential negatives.

I also didnt know that there were other comparable groups interested in streaming the awards/banquet. I know of several organizations the record footage, and produce episodes, like BBQ TV, I didnt know of anyone else that would stream the banquet live. I'd think others could be added though if they asked, after seeing the idea...

Anyway, just wanted it to be clear, I didnt think there was any "agenda" by anyone, or disdain for WiredBBQ. I just think the thought process to get to the decision is flawed, and am disappointed by that. Again Gene, I appreciate you, and your candid discussion on it.

Just Pulin' Pork
12-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Just as an FYI, I like the people at wiredbbq, I have nothing against them.... the fact is it was e-mail posted 72 hours before the meeting, it gave no time for any others to submit, the agenda for the public was only out the day or 2 before the vote, it was only out 2 days for board members who are to vote, no other comparable groups could be reached and the board was not thinking it would be fair and that it may drop attendance at the banquet.

Gene thanks for the honesty, but as a KCBS member this is an unacceptable decision by all of you. This can still be done, there is plenty of time. Bring this to the table at the next "Special meeting" that is to take place on December 20th and make this happen. You guys know the attendance and that this in no way shape or form will impact the attendance to this event. Its things like that makes me as a member not want to attend this because I know my $$$ will be going to an organization that is run by people who can not make the decisions that are POSITIVE AND RIGHT for the KCBS and its members! If I were an elected official I would be embarrassed! I see why some of the people who thought they were elected in the past and thought they could make a difference have quit!

Jon

ThomEmery
12-19-2010, 06:18 AM

While I disagree with the conclusions reached
I like others appreciate you coming in and speaking Gene

In house web casting event results and important meetings is something
I hope to look at as a member of the board if elected

indianagriller
12-19-2010, 06:36 AM
As a first year competitor and now a former member of KCBS i really have no dog in the fight, but lately the board has solidified my reasoning of not renewing my membership this year. I couldnt attend this years banquet if i wanted to due to work schedules, but maybe like the Jack and the Royal I am making plans to go next year.

Jorge
12-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Gene, I also appreciate you taking the time to provide additional info. I don't agree with, or understand the decision and reasoning behind it, but I do respect the fact that you will willing to address the issue.

Jeff_in_KC
12-19-2010, 11:40 AM

I'm just shocked that there wasn't ONE PERSON on the board who could see through the negativity and vote YES! Gene, after everyone here (who by the way are mostly cooks) has voiced their opinions on this, can you still not see where the board's decision was a bad one for all involved? Can you see no benefit to KCBS in free positive publicity? :confused:

White Dog BBQ
12-19-2010, 01:49 PM

I'm a little confused -- according to the quick notes, this issue was tabled at the November hearing. Are the quick notes incorrect?

Smoke'n Ice
12-19-2010, 10:06 PM

Gene,
I am glad that you are willing to respond but, your facts as presented are not even close to reality.

The following is excerpted from the KCBS Web Site Published November Agenda: (Please note that this is a full 30 days prior to the December meeting)

"AGENDA FOR THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
NOVEMBER 10, 2010
KANSAS CITY, MO
Merl Whitebook, Secretary
New Business:

Motion by Candy Weaver: Simulcast of Banquet.
Wired Barbeque (http://www.wiredbbq.com (http://www.wiredbbq.com/)) has inquired requesting permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. Their webcast of the 2010 Jack was quite successful and sparked much web interest in the activities in Lynchburg.
With over 13,000 members, this webcast is a way to give KCBS members who cannot attend the banquet a web way to be a part of the action."

This really should be addressed by the board as some one, some where has selective memory.

Mack Yarbrough
Member #24882

A previous poster noted that this motion was tabled from the November meeting according to the KCBS Web Site Published Quick Minutes from November.

Gene01
12-19-2010, 10:57 PM
interesting to read, I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them.... we the board discussed it at the December meeting a couple of weeks ago in my mind, maybe I missed it and my mind is gone I don't think so though...

Gene01
12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
I looked it up in my notes, this item was listed on the Agenda for November and not discussed, it was discussed at the December meeting as previosely posted... I/ we discussed it at the December meeting only...

BBQchef33
12-19-2010, 11:38 PM
so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.

Plowboy
12-20-2010, 12:08 AM
so if it was on the november agenda, then there was over a month for any other interested entity to make a proposal.

Even better, KCBS could have sent out or published an RFP(Request for proposal) so anyone interested can bid. Wiredbbq is unique and if they were the only bidder, IMO, should have been approved.

And there's no reason why the BOD couldn't have worked with Wired with the full understanding that the 2011 banquet would be a test only and that broadcasting the 2012 would be open to an RFP process.

dbaldin
12-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Arlin_MacRae
12-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't post here either, but this is disturbing.

Gene, thanks tons for giving us insight into the process and sticking your neck out.
As Jon suggested, why not put talk about it at the special meeting? These guys don't need to set up a studio - I've seen them in action and they travel light - and a lot of us who are not attending would LOVE to watch the banquet.

Arlin

Scottie
12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Stand out in the lobby, just outside the banquet room.... You can have access to just about anycook, rep et al. that will be there. I wouldn't expect any BOD members to do any interviews, because there was no competing bid for you to stand in the lobby and we know that the way the BOD operates is always on the straight and narrow path... Right? Oooh, another thought.. I'll prop the door open, or as a paying guest, I will accidently leave the door open during awards... I am sure we could find others that "might" be avaialble to ghold the door open as well...

All I have to say is unbelievable. How many other productions are stepping up to broadvast this? Or is it about getting competitng bids? For what? YOu think anyone is making money on this? I bet this is a total loss for wiredBBQ.

Disappointed with the actions of the BOd to not look at the big picture of what this could have done for BBQ.

I'll copy and post directly from the KCBS website....

Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

Hey, thanks to everyone that supports what WiredBBQ does. I, for one, have always thought it would be cool to cover the KCBS Banquet. That being said, we understand that there's a process involved that decides our level of participation. We asked, and have yet to receive an official response.
@Gene01 "I met the folks from wired bbq November 27th at the St Louis contest, had it been at the meeting in November I would have discussed it with them..." (There was no meeting on November 27th in St. Louis, we weren't in St. Louis on this date)

To learn of the board's decision through these posts is somewhat disheartening, it hardly takes away from what WiredBBQ is about.

I must say that it is the cookers and competitors that make WiredBBQ most interesting. What happens in board rooms don't make good barbecue. It's you folks that we follow, and we appreciate your good words and support. So thank you Brethren, we'll be around. Maybe even at the 'After' party....

Jorge
12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Mission

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

Exactly.

I've left voicemail for a member of the board, to see if it's possible to look at this issue again during the special meeting scheduled for today.

drbbq
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
If Wired BBQ would like to come to Florida I'll be willing to do a re-enactment of what's happening at the banquet. I've seen it many times and believe my interpretation will be accurate, and way more entertaining.

Bigdog
12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
It seems to me that there are 2 issues here:

1) Whether to allow them to webcast and not others. Well, they were the only ones who asked so I don't see the problem here.

2) Whether their webcast would hurt attendance to the dinner. Once again, a simple solution here: You the rule of blackouts. If the thing sells out, lift the blackout.

Am I missing something? This seems like such a no-brainer.:doh:

Jorge
12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
If Wired BBQ would like to come to Florida I'll be willing to do a re-enactment of what's happening at the banquet. I've seen it many times and believe my interpretation will be accurate, and way more entertaining.

I'd be willing to contribute to that sponsorship package!:becky:

Jeff_in_KC
12-20-2010, 11:46 AM
I was thinking of inviting them to come in and broadcast us getting our awards from our tables but thought that, even though it would be to show up the establishment (like holding open the door! LOL!), it might come across way too arrogant! :laugh: But you guys are invited to the after-party! I sent Tony and email on Saturday.

Scottie
12-20-2010, 02:11 PM
that would be just "accident'y" leaving the door open... Or maybe they can give me a concealed camera and I can have it in my cooler. Or I mean my bag that I will have...

Bentley
12-20-2010, 03:11 PM
I looked it up in my notes, this item was listed on the Agenda for November and not discussed,

So it's just Opps and move on...Great leadership from the BOD...

Candy Sue
12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
It was discussed in November and moved for further discussion in executive session. It got passed over there and that's why it ended up on the table in December.

nthole
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
If they passed over it, multiple times, seems pretty pompous then to declare it was brought to the table just too darn late.

I stay out of these fights normally as well, but this is just ridiculous. How can the board say they are looking out for promoting bbq and then not allow a virtually sold out even to be webcasted? Time to wake up from the stone ages.

Use a blackout, x% sold web cast it. Sheesh, slackers.

KC_Bobby
12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Seems odd that KCBS wouldn't jump at this. I can't think of a better way to promote BBQ - and it's at no cost.

HoDeDo
12-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Hmmm, could be fun to come to florida to witness a reinactment :becky:
Esp. if Ray is playing all the roles. LOL

ThomEmery
12-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Now that would be a display of talent

HoDeDo
12-20-2010, 09:14 PM
:doh:

:tape:

:confused:

LindaM
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm just shocked that there wasn't ONE PERSON on the board who could see through the negativity and vote YES! Gene, after everyone here (who by the way are mostly cooks) has voiced their opinions on this, can you still not see where the board's decision was a bad one for all involved? Can you see no benefit to KCBS in free positive publicity? :confused:

Jeff what surprises me is that Candy was behind getting it, or that was my impression and she too voted against it????

Jeff_in_KC
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not singling anyone out, Linda... they all screwed the pooch on this one. Candy was the one who carried the torch for the cooks who wanted it.

ThomEmery
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
I believe she abstained

Smokedelic
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I believe she abstained
From the Quick Notes:
"Candy Weaver made a motion to approve Wired Barbeque permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. The motion was seconded by Tana Shupe.

Vote:
0 yes, 10 no, 0 abstentions
The motion to give permission to Wired Barbeque to provide a live webcast, fails."

ThomEmery
12-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Ok I listened to the meeting
Just couldn't remember how it went exactly

Slamdunkpro
12-22-2010, 09:10 PM
From the Quick Notes:
"Candy Weaver made a motion to approve Wired Barbeque permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. The motion was seconded by Tana Shupe.

Vote:
The motion to give permission to Wired Barbeque to provide a live webcast, fails."
Why would you make a motion then vote against it?

drbbq
12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
It was seconded by Tana and she voted against it too!

Ford
12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
Why would you make a motion then vote against it?
Happens all the time with BOD's. Say a person asks a BOD member to see if they can do something. THere's no discussion or research before it goes on the agenda. Then it's discussed and is obvious that it's not the right thing now.

A BOD member has a responsibility to members to try to bring their concerns before the BOD. However it's much better if the membership writes the entire BOD and asks the issues be considered. Then there's no motion before the discussion.

ThomEmery
12-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I doubt the BoD and Staff realized how many folks were hoping to watch this

Bigdog
12-23-2010, 08:13 AM
I doubt the BoD and Staff realized how many folks were hoping to watch this

Agreed. They are clueless. Make one decision, worried about loss of $, then piss a bunch of people off, end up loosing more $$. Clueless I tell you.:tsk::rolleyes::crazy:

Slamdunkpro
12-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Agreed. They are clueless. Make one decision, worried about loss of $, then piss a bunch of people off, end up loosing more $$. Clueless I tell you.:tsk::rolleyes::crazy:

I still can't figure out what the down side of doing this was. KCBS is acting more and more like NASCAR where it seems if KCBS (or MMA, but that's another discussion) doesn't make $1,000,000 on every deal they won't do it.

ThomEmery
12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
The downside was lack of control over message
The brothers at wiredbbq presented what worked for cooks at the Jack
It was like going to the Jack as a bud of a cook
There is a up and a downside to that approach
Yes I enjoyed it.... I sponsored it... and yes not all of it was good
Some was just like being at a cook off....... down right silly

Rather than work with wired on content it was easier to just say no thank you
Live webcast event coverage is something I hope to work on if elected

Slamdunkpro
12-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I didn't get to see the Jack but I did watch the Royal webcast. Some of the "in the field" bits was a little goofy, but I thought the awards were well done. While I understand what you are saying, I think the opportunities for sillyness at the awards banquet are far more limited - Unless they run out of food at the buffet again this year :roll:

Scottie
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
anyone know if it will be legal for me to bring my Flip to the banquet? Or are they frisking people at the door?

ThomEmery
12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
The folks from the airport maybe there to scan you

Ford
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM
OK - reality check. There are maybe 20 people on this thread talking about this. They may even have Pissed off another hundred. The BOD made a decision to control what is brodcast at a KCBS event. The Jack and Royal are not KCBS sponsored events. I agree with their decision. Having said that I also agree with Thom that the BOD needs to work on next year and have something in place well ahead that will work for everybody. Remember that the KCBS is now a million dollar industry with contests in the 4-5 million payouts so their image and brand are important

In this age of cell phone video recorders, anybody can make a recording and post it. I'm sure there would be some good ones at the after party but people recording them could be in peril, either then or after posting them on the web.

Maybe the KCBS should conduct a poll of members asking if they would watch a live video of the banquet if it was brodcast. My bet is not many would say yes.

White Dog BBQ
12-23-2010, 07:47 PM
The BOD made a decision to control what is brodcast at a KCBS event. ... I agree with their decision.

Two questions, Candidate Ford:

1) All of the indications we have board members is that this was denied because (a) no other proposals were received and (b) it would hurt attendance at the banquet. Where are you getting the "control the broadcast" from? I'm not being critical, just curious if I missed something.

2) Why do you agree with the decision?

ThomEmery
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=ThomEmery;1491697]
Yes I enjoyed it.... I sponsored it...

just to be clear I was only a CO SPONSOR on the Jack web cast

The wiredbbq guys had a MUCH greater investment in that production

I would in no way want to take credit for someone else's effort

dbaldin
12-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I would like to thank Thom Emery for his help and support for WiredBBQ. His grasp of the benefits of using technology like webcasts, etc. to further the enjoyment and information of the barbecue world is a great asset. Through his efforts, WiredBBQ received more viewership than ever, which is a testament to what members would like to see more of. The Jack Daniels webcast would not have happened the way it did without his partnership.
I hope that he is elected to the BoD, and that his message of cooperation and advancement becomes the norm.
:clap2:

Jeff_in_KC
12-24-2010, 01:13 AM
So if I voted for you, Ford, I could expect the same decision from you on something like this? What is your reasoning? Simply because not many people (in your estimation) would watch it? Does it really matter how many watch? KCBS would have ZERO investment in it.

Second question... just how do you figure someone will be put in peril for broadcasting at a PRIVATE party? I'm not scared.

dbaldin
12-24-2010, 02:02 AM
OK - reality check.
In this age of cell phone video recorders, anybody can make a recording and post it. I'm sure there would be some good ones at the after party but people recording them could be in peril, either then or after posting them on the web.
Maybe the KCBS should conduct a poll of members asking if they would watch a live video of the banquet if it was brodcast. My bet is not many would say yes.

Over 73,000 hits on WiredBBQ.com on the Saturday of the Jack Daniels event. That's your reality check.

Why is allowing friends and family an opportunity to view the banquet such a bad thing? What is anyone trying to hide? Why won't the BoD respond to our request? Why are there several variations of an explanation of the vote? What does "peril" mean? Why does this thread continue?

Ford
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Second question... just how do you figure someone will be put in peril for broadcasting at a PRIVATE party? I'm not scared.
Just trying to lighten up this thread. I've seen some YouTube videos of folks at parties doing some really stupid things. It used to be it was a "private" party but it no longer is with all the technology in a cell phone and the websites to post it to.

Ford
12-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Over 73,000 hits on WiredBBQ.com on the Saturday of the Jack Daniels event. That's your reality check.

Why is allowing friends and family an opportunity to view the banquet such a bad thing? What is anyone trying to hide? Why won't the BoD respond to our request? Why are there several variations of an explanation of the vote? What does "peril" mean? Why does this thread continue?
Did you actually write the BOD for an answer? That's the only appropriate way to communicate with them. Posting on Forums is not.

Ford
12-24-2010, 06:45 AM
To all those asking me questions on my post here's my opinion.

I have not listened to the MP3 of the meeting yet. I'd wish I had time to but I've been traveling from Florida to Chicago. So I don't know what was discussed. What I do know is that 10 elected BOD members all agreed on this topic so there must be a good reason. And we elected this BOD and they are running things so we need to try supporting the BOD instead of always tearing them down because we don't agree with how they vote.

If I'm elected to the BOD I will vote for what I think is best for the KCBS as an organization and for it's future. Some people will not agree with how I vote. That's just a fact no matter who gets elected. Hopefully all those elected will look at what's best for the KCBS not for them or a group of friends.

As long as I'm writing, I also believe that contests are the lifeblood of the KCBS and that means cooks, judges, reps, organizers and volunteers. But there's a lot more to the KCBS and it's time we start putting some of our money into what the KCBS is about. That's promoting BBQ and doing good deeds. After all the KCBS is a 501C isn't it.

Bigdog
12-24-2010, 08:10 AM
OK - reality check. There are maybe 20 people on this thread talking about this. They may even have Pissed off another hundred. The BOD made a decision to control what is brodcast at a KCBS event. The Jack and Royal are not KCBS sponsored events. I agree with their decision. Having said that I also agree with Thom that the BOD needs to work on next year and have something in place well ahead that will work for everybody. Remember that the KCBS is now a million dollar industry with contests in the 4-5 million payouts so their image and brand are important

OK, reality check: 73,00 hits. Hum, that's a few more than 20. Maybe you should have checked your facts first.

Agreed.

Refer to the above number. I believe you will be wrong again.

I have not listened to the MP3 of the meeting yet. I'd wish I had time to but I've been traveling from Florida to Chicago. So I don't know what was discussed. What I do know is that 10 elected BOD members all agreed on this topic so there must be a good reason. And we elected this BOD and they are running things so we need to try supporting the BOD instead of always tearing them down because we don't agree with how they vote.

So, we should just blindly support these folks just because they got elected? Nope, no way, not a chance. This is America for crying out loud, we are allowed to support or question, even evict those who we elected that are not following our best interest. And if there is a "good reason" then we should be told what that is instead of hiding it or going into secret session.

If I'm elected to the BOD I will vote for what I think is best for the KCBS as an organization and for it's future. Some people will not agree with how I vote. That's just a fact no matter who gets elected. Hopefully all those elected will look at what's best for the KCBS not for them or a group of friends.

As long as I'm writing, I also believe that contests are the lifeblood of the KCBS and that means cooks, judges, reps, organizers and volunteers. But there's a lot more to the KCBS and it's time we start putting some of our money into what the KCBS is about. That's promoting BBQ and doing good deeds. After all the KCBS is a 501C isn't it.

Did you actually write the BOD for an answer? That's the only appropriate way to communicate with them. Posting on Forums is not.

Did you read what he wrote? He said that they failed to respond to his request. That's why he is posting it here, to get the truth out. He communicated appropriately, it was them who did not.

I'm sorry but I cannot support you for the BOD. You do have some good ideas but unfortunately you come off as arrogant and short sided. That is not the kind of person we need IMHO.

dbaldin
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Just trying to lighten up this thread. I've seen some YouTube videos of folks at parties doing some really stupid things. It used to be it was a "private" party but it no longer is with all the technology in a cell phone and the websites to post it to.

I've seen a dancing chipmunk on YouTube before. Doesn't mean that is what we shoot or post.

This discussion is not about the party. This is about the banquet. Is giving awards, and receiving awards regarded as "really stupid things"? That's all we WERE interested in shooting.

Bentley
12-24-2010, 09:06 PM

It sure seems that some BOD use this forum when it suits their needs. I totally disagree with your comment.

C-Town Smoker
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I can see where they might not want to have video of all the goings on...it is a membership deal. Perhaps there could have been a separate room set up for interviews and whatnot...I wonder if my "radio" set up would have faired any better since I have no cameras and would not be waling around...I would book guests at times to do spots. Good to know for future planning.

ThomEmery
01-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Media Row just like Super Bowl Week :)

leanza
01-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Ford, with all due respect and you certainly deserve respect. I think you would bring "more of the same" to the BOD.

Bunny
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM

If you are elected you will vote for what's best for the KCBS? In reality, you should be representing the members interest and not your opinion of what's best for KCBS. There are a lot of members out here who do not agree what some of the BOD members are doing. And those BOD members keep saying they are doing what's best for KCBS. To me, it becomes their agenda and not listening to people. At contests, forums, gatherings and through the BBQ Commraderie, you can find out what the members want.

I polled the members once and actually voted against what I thought was best for KCBS because it wasn't what the members wanted. I was elected to do what they asked and so I did.

Jeff_in_KC
01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Well said, Bunny. I agree whole-heartedly. You REPRESENT those who voted for you. You don't vote how YOU think we want things.

Spydermike72
01-06-2011, 10:54 AM
If you are elected you will vote for what's best for the KCBS? In reality, you should be representing the members interest and not your opinion of what's best for KCBS. There are a lot of members out here who do not agree what some of the BOD members are doing. And those BOD members keep saying they are doing what's best for KCBS. To me, it becomes their agenda and not listening to people. At contests, forums, gatherings and through the BBQ Commraderie, you can find out what the members want.

I polled the members once and actually voted against what I thought was best for KCBS because it wasn't what the members wanted. I was elected to do what they asked and so I did.

Can you please run for public office ? I would vote for you in a heartbeat!!!

Jorge
01-06-2011, 11:56 AM

That's a philosophy that I'd hope that the entire board, past, present, and future would have, could have, should adhere to.

On the other hand, based on the information available about many issues I don't know that as a member I have sufficient information to make any sort of informed judgment a lot of the time. In many cases that isn't the way things have to be. If the board was more focused on planning and managing the growth of the Society, rather than dealing with trivial details, there would be ample time during meetings for discussion one month and a decision after getting input from membership during the intervening month.

In the long run, I believe that you'd have a membership that is more informed and more involved. In a perfect world the board would be more responsive and in tune with where membership is on the various IMPORTANT issues.

In the case of a decision that needed to be made in a more timely manner, I've got no choice other than trusting that the membership has made the proper choice at election time. I can live that, no matter what the results are. That's one reason I tried to determine what leadership and management qualities various candidates have this year.

Competition BBQ is a means to the end contained in the KCBS mission statement; that's a fact. In the last several years competition BBQ HAS changed, for better or worse depending on who you talk to. In that same period of time, I've seen little or no substantial change in the way KCBS operates for the most part. I hear people talk about how things used to be better, and others talk about how much better they can be, but very few that talk about being happy with how things are now. That tells me some things need to change.

I think that window for change is open for another year, maybe two. If the membership doesn't take ownership of this society, and the board doesn't focus on what's truly important for the growth and long term survivability of that same society they have been entrusted to guide there is going to be a void that somebody else will fill. As a consumer I may patronize both for a period of time, but at the end of the day the organization that provides the superior product will earn my business.

My .05

Rich Parker
01-06-2011, 04:23 PM

You said in an earlier post that it was voted down unanimously. Did you vote on this topic?

EDIT: I went to KCBS website and found the notes.

Candy Weaver made a motion to approve Wired Barbeque permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. The motion was seconded by Tana Shupe.

Vote:
The motion to give permission to Wired Barbeque to provide a live webcast, fails.

Why did you vote "No"?

White Dog BBQ
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Directors aren't elected to do what the members tell them to do. Directors are elected because the members have faith in their judgment. The legal duty of a director is to use good judgment and take action in the best interest of the Association. It's not to take polls and follow the whims of the forums.

Don't get me wrong, considering the viewpoints of the members (and having an open enough mind to consider other viewpoints) is an important part of being a Director. But, ultimately, we elect Directors to use their judgment and cast the votes they think should be cast. Otherwise, how likely is it the painful but necessary decisions would ever be made?

For example, if the Board had followed the perceived popular will, the MMA deal would never have been approved. I think the majority of members now think the MMA deal was a good one for the association. That certainly wasn't the case a few years ago.

And, more importantly, can you honestly say what you read at forums and hear at contests accurately reflects the opinion of a majority of KCBS members? If that were the case, guys like Phil, Jeff and John Markus would have been elected by wide margins.

I think your point was that some Directors may be charging ahead with an agenda, ignoring the views of the electorate. That's wrong too. Member input should be considered. But I think Ford is right here. If Ford is elected, his legal obligation is to make decisions using his best judgment. The buck stops with the Directors. If they make a dumb decision, they are the ones that could be legally liable. Saying "but that's what the members wanted!" is not a valid defense. Ultimately, a Director has to use his or her own judgment.

Erik

HoDeDo
01-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I agree with Jorge, Hopefully one day, the processes will be in place to get the board out of the day to day minutiae, so they can focus on strategy, and the future... instead of the here and now. I would hope a process could be implemented to allow the KCBS office to manage many of the contest approvals, requests... and filter what the board needs to address in the day to day functions. Essentially, it is run like an HoA board today... The board decides about your neighbors shingle color, yard height, trash pickup days, etc.... day to day stuff. Hopefully in the future it will be run more like a Corporate board -- That is working on a 5 yr view and strategic opportunities to pursue through years 1 and 3 .. and manage metrics to ensure the ship is pointed in the right direction. That we are pointing to the right targets. And maximizing opportunities to grow, as well as achieve our other goals of education etc. The bigger comps, the $$, all fall in line if the bigger targets are adhered to, and you have folks closer to the action (aka. KCBS office) are managing the day to day.

ThomEmery
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM

I understand your emphasis here and I would agree to a certain extent.
Being in communication and responsive to the membership are of course
to be valued. But as Andy mentioned getting out in front with planning,
strategy and leadership are the real goals of a healthy board.

Yes ours currently is not.
Micromanagement and the self interest would seem the top priorities.

Bunny
01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Rich Parker;1504215]You said in an earlier post that it was voted down unanimously. Did you vote on this topic?

I'm not on the Board anymore. --Bunny:-D

Rich Parker
01-07-2011, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE=Rich Parker;1504215]You said in an earlier post that it was voted down unanimously. Did you vote on this topic?

I'm not on the Board anymore. --Bunny:-D

LMAO.....I knew it was a matter of time I mixed someone up using this damn phone

My apologies!

Bunny
01-08-2011, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=Bunny;1504526]

LMAO.....I knew it was a matter of time I mixed someone up using this damn phone

My apologies!

Believe me, I understand perfectly! :-D