PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Barbecue, Austin, TX

cheez
12-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Working in Austin this week. Took time today to go to Franklin Barbecue. Franklin sits on the parking area of a closed service station, on I-35 NB around 34th st. Got there just after 11:00, there were about 30 people in line, and I think it took a bit over 30 minutes to reach the counter. "Counter" is in an old trailer, there are two large smokers next to/behind the trailer. Under a couple of canopies and a few umbrellas are picnic tables.

Two of us ordered brisket and sausage, another brisket and pulled pork. The brisket was FANTASTIC. The one guy had never had brisket until last week (Sonny Bryan's in Dallas). He was in awe. The sausage was very good also, and I got to taste the pulled pork - it too was very good. But did I mention that the brisket was awesome?

There were three sauces on the table, one of them their "espresso sauce". I thought it was pretty good, though I am mostly a no sauce kinda guy, especially with brisket. The other guys preferred th other sauces, in particular the thinner, vinegary one for the pork.

I've been a big fan of Louie Mueller's on the few occasions I get to visit here, but I know where I'll head when I get back to Austin again! Hell, maybe even for lunch again tomorrow :becky: