PDA

View Full Version : Novice serving 40 people.....please help!!

Moxigrl54
12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
This is my very first post.....VERY new to this whole forum thingy.....so please bare with me! So sorry if this is posted in the wrong place...

My father in law manufactors one person helicopters and we have our annual fly in coming up after Christmas. He has asked my husband and me to cook for the guests camping out during the air show. Any tips or websites regarding how much food will be needed and some great sides would be greatly appreciated!

So far we've planned Ribs & chicken with my friend's famous potatoe salad and the Dickey Doo Baked Beans from the Roadfood's BBQ magazine for the first night.

And then wild hog and venison with macaroni salad (not my choice) and still need something else....I'm at a loss for some reason...

big brother smoke
12-12-2010, 06:32 PM
If they are baby backs, I would plan on 20lbs, if you are doing thighs and breast do half and half and around 50 all together.

Try this website: www.allrecipes.com

butternut squash comes to mind.

landarc
12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
For wild game, I assume this is wild hog and wild venison, you are going to want to introduce some fat to the meal, although mac salad does that and is easy to prepare, I would consider something like mac and cheese or stuffing to go along with those meats. A stuffing with fruit, such as apples, grapes or cranberries is really nice with game. You will/should have some veggies, but, something as simple as steamed beans or a good green salad works great with what you are doing.

As for quantity, I would tend to agree with BBS above. Although my experience has been ribs go better and faster than chicken in most crowds. Also that ribs for 40 takes a lot of space to cook. I hope your cooker is up to the task.

grillfella
12-13-2010, 01:49 AM
yup what steph said. 20lbs of chicken should work for 40 guests

Moxigrl54
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody so much!!!:-D We will be using three smokers to cook everything on....should have plenty of room....fingers crossed! I'm still pretty stuck at figuring out another side that will compliment the wild game....I'm not a fan of Mac salad but a friend offered to make it and that is one less task off my very long list so I can't refuse, but I think if I make mac and cheese it might be a little too much of the Mac!? You get me? Or am I being too paranoid!? I also have a very good recipe for scalloped potatoes......

I was thinking i'd make cabbage as the veggie? I know it cooks down to hardly anything and will need a ton of it.... But (not to toot my own horn) my cabbage is pretty kick ass! :wink: Or possibly just throwing some corn on the smoker?

Kobold
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
In the Netherlands we calculate for a Que 500 grams of meat (NOT bones) p / person, a 10% more than a pound, that should be sufficiŽnt if there are also salad's, bread and veggies...

bartyb
12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I gotta throw in a vote for the corn...I do mine a bit differently and it's not exactly "easy" but...if you can get ahold of some good sweet yellow corn try this.

Shuck it (the corn of course)
Melt enough butter(unsalted) to soak the corn in...Say 2lbs
Add enough salt to give it a slight salty taste but not overkill...Say 1/4C
Add enough dark brown sugar to make it fairly sweet...Say 3/4C
Melt all this together to make a glaze and soak the corn liberally.
Grill over medium hot coals for about 30-40 minutes,turning frequently. It's done when the corn is tender to the bite and has a nice carmel coating...dont over cook it... sorry to be vague about the cook time but I do this by sight and taste...I need to perfect an actual cook time.

chromestacks
12-14-2010, 07:33 PM
salt potatoes are always a hit for my gigs quick and easy too :)

weatherman
12-17-2010, 12:17 AM
The corn idea is good.. I always leave mine in the husks and just put them on the grill turning them 1/4 every 15-20 mins. Also, new potatoes will also be easy since you can but them in a pot on a burner and just leave them alone while you worry about other things. A homemade cole slaw would also work good and go a long way. A salad would work good and help to fill people up and the hardest part of that will be cutting up the toppings. Good luck with it and please let us know how it went.

frognot
12-17-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm a big fan of cole slaw or sauerkraut with pork.

Chenernator
12-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Sweet Potato Fries for the win!

You can fry these or bake them (my preference). Cut sweet potatoes into thin slices (no more than 1/4" think). Toss with EVOO, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, and pepper. I eyeball it, but it's roughly two parts cinnamon and chili powder to one part salt and pepper. You just want a good coating. Bake at 375 until desired doneness (I like softer, but you can let them go past that and they'll crisp up).

Your other, easier, option would be to throw a bunch of sweet potatoes on the smoker at the same time as the chicken. Roll them over occasionally and cook until soft. You can almost eat them straight, but butter and cinnamon make a nice addition.

FltEng
12-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Another tip is to ensure that the most expensive items i.e. the meat is at the end of the serving line. Let the people load up on sides and they will not take more than they can eat. This will ensure adequate quantities of meat.

Ashmont
12-28-2010, 11:42 AM
You could make Corn Casserole ahead and keep warm.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/IMG_1994.jpg?t=1293552658

Easy Corn Casserole Recipe

1 can whole corn
1 can cream style corn
1 cup sour cream
1 cup melted margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 box (8 or so ounces) instant cornbread mix
(We often use an inexpensive brand like an 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix)*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

* Mix all the ingredients together. The batter will be creamy but lumpy.
* Pour into 9x13 inch buttered pan. (Shallow Aluminum sprayed with PAM work too!)
* Bake for 45 minutes.

Moxigrl54
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the great advise!! Everything turned out great!! The first night we had the ribs coated with brown sugar and then basted with a mixture of apple cidar vinegar and water (saw it on the food network! haha!) with Dicky Doo's Baked beans and my friend's famous potato salad. For dessert I made peanut butter pie and red velvet cupcakes. 2nd night we did the venison and wild hog with roasted potatoes and macaroni salad (not my choice) and for dessert I made a dump cake and eggnog pound cake! MMMM was it all sooo good!! We worked our little booties off but got it done and everyone LOVED it!! :-D Thanks again guys!

chambersuac
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Yay, good for you. Congrats on a great cook.

Contracted Cookers
01-07-2011, 07:36 PM
grilled corn on cobb if you find it with smoked garlic butter. just remember not to stress and have fun. p.s shrimp is quick easy and good same galic butter little old bay little heat

landarc
01-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I just saw the corn casserole recipe and suddenly I must make it.

smoque shack
01-13-2011, 11:32 AM
if its your first time then i would use the KISS method
K-keep
I-it
S-simple
S-stupid

cole slaw, potato salad, beans.........my 2 cents